Masters Running

Sat April 24th - Runs - Workouts - and Concern for our Fellow Friends and Runners (Read 555 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good very early (paragraph) morning - for me anyway as I was up at 4:00am......I am NOT one of those people who can just roll out of bed and take off running. I am a early person by nature, and love to get up and start my workday early.....but running I need about 3 or so hours to eat - hydrate - and basically be awake and relax till is time to run....we are all a work of one, Huh? And I really like coffee, but if I drink coffee before a race.....especially a fast short race, it speeds my HR up to where it affects my HR when running hard (anyone else this way?)

Got my painting project done yesterday.....carpet being laid Monday....computer installed Tues  

Kinda stormy here this morning, but looks like there may be a good window of opportunity to get my 5K race in, plus 20 something miles. Good luck to all racing today....and speedy feet to all 

Dave, hope your back is just a small bump in the road for Ya buddie, and you feel better soon!!!......I have pretty bad lower back pain myself, but running actually makes it feel better.

Leslie. thanks for sharing you training plan with me....I think I may take your approach and run long 2 days in a row, 2 weeks before me and Holly's race. And Erika, I suppose you are right....after the race I will prolly wonder why I made such a big deal and fuss about it. But bonking in a Marathon is one thing, but what scares me is bonking with 10 or 12 miles to go, instead of maybe 3 or 4 during a Mary. I think I will forget about running for time, as even my own training plan does not even deal with running a 50K for time.....but like maybe have said, trail and ultra running is different with a different set of goals and people that race these.

Good luck Craneium with your Tri................you WILL be hooked Brother.....as they are a blast. And boy, and what some of the Tri Gals don't wear......it's to make us guys stay focused Ya know

Byll, glad I read on FB that your legs are feeling great......cool

I really and truly hope everyone has a Wonderful and Blessed Day

Now back to getting pumped up listening to some good - motivating music (and hope I don't wake my neighbors up)

Holly, I will have to check into some headphones like you mentioned yesterday....guess one's like those would keep my hands out of my shorts while talking to Wimmins 

TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Mornin' Tim, I'm up...have been since 5 -- but I was HUNGRY, (which is unusual for me) so I ate, and now am getting ready now to head out, just for 8 mi. 

In the last hour though, I did get some laundry going while I digested, so it wasn't a total waste of time.  

GOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!  Have a great weekend.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Good Morning....a very stormy night with more to come here.

I squeaked in a very nice 5 mile run......a 7:45 pace that really felt effortless.....a few hours cracking the whip on my electrical contractors here at that plant then of for a little family-get-to-gether. Still need to pic up some wine for tonight and GU for tomorrow morning.

Not so good news last night......our home buyer dropped out. Doesn't change our plans....we're still buying. The clock is ticking on this Tax Credit though.....market could come to a sudden halt after the 30th.

K....lots to do....Everyone have a great weekend !

dg.

'morning Tim, 'morning Nono!   

I was up at 4 too, but went back to bed because, well, because.     There is a free recycling thing for anything electronic today at one of the high schools.... the back of my car is loaded (a tv, monitor, etc.)  but keep thinking there must be more!   so far, there is.   so back to digging in  the scary places of my basement.

like Nono said.

GOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!  Have a great weekend.   I wonder how's the weather in Nashville?

and go, everybody Smile.   good luck on your 8, Nono..  & Doug I think has a long one today too.   Well.   I took a short walk this am, & snuck in an unplanned itty bitty run.

mta, 'morning Slo!    .... does that count as cross training?       so sorry to hear about your house.  glad your plans haven't changed.   have fun at the Schmitt-fest!

Renee the dog

Got my 8 mi done in leisurely fashion...Ran the first two with some sproink -- and with Renee.  Came back to the house and Bayside was up as was my son.  Spent about 10 min. cuddling with ds and chit-chatting with Bayside.  Then, headed back out without Renee to crank out the remaining 6 mi. 

I found my stride out there for the first time in awhile (definitely it went missing before my 2 marathons, not because of them).  Have a theory brewing as to why it is back, but will wait on expounding on that one till another time.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Thanks for the early wake up call Tim

Surrounded by rain but managed to avoid it during my easy 6.2 miles w/DW.

Off to ump  a high school  baseball  doubleheader. (fingers crossed) I hate rain outs  

Nono way to find your stride, maybe that 10 minute break helped.  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Nice running already this morning.

I ran a fun 5K just a few miles from my house at our new hospital, which opened last year.  If the roads weren’t so dangerous, I would have jogged over there.  It was a somewhat hilly but fun double loop course and the rain held off until we had finished.  I decided to run moderately hard and not look at my watch; I didn’t want to pull any Boston-fatigued muscles.  (There were quite a few Boston jackets and shirts among the ~300 runners.)  I jogged the course to warm up and then ran (unofficially) a 21:53, which was better than I’d expected.  It was fun to not push so hard…and be done so quickly!

Afterward, there was a ton of food including, oddly, fried chicken sandwiches from Chik-Fil-A.  I think the hospital was trying to drum up extra cardiac business.

Gotta get some catch-up work done today.  

Anyone planning on watching London tomorrow?  Should be blazing fast.

Be safe. Be kind.

Seems like every time I start planning on shifting to my warm-weather wardrobe, we have days like this -- back to cold & wet. Actually more typical for this time of year than it's been lately.

Ran 9.5 at a 9:44 pace, with one very hilly section. I ran it with 3 women about 15 years my junior. The good part was that I didn't have to say much if anything; the bad part was that they definitely pushed the early pace for me. But it's helpful to be forced to run faster on occasion. They were actually on a 12-mile run, so I split off and finished the last 4 on my own. In the last couple of miles, the temperature dropped noticeably and the rain started, so I was a bit chilled and wet at the finish.

This afternoon my DW and I are working in a booth at a local Earth Day festival. Somehow I doubt that we'll be very busy: light rain today and a real washout forecast for tomorrow.

I hope the rest of you have better weekends!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tim, sounds like the shop is coming along.

About your trail ultra....I don't think you can set any time goals on the trails, there is usually so much more incline and technical stuff to run around.  If you bonk, you will get over it after a relatively short time.  Don't wait 22 miles to drink water or eat ok?   I love the quote "It doesn't always get worse."

Planned rest day so I can go see DS10 and his class perform in a ballet in the big city.  He is really into this ballet thing, they have been practising in gym class for the past two months.  I swear, he is not a girly boy though!  I just hope his pants don't fall down during the performance...better tighten them up...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

It seems like Roch had a great run today. Way to keep up with the spring chicks.

Timbo, no need train extra for an ultra. Just what you are doing is fine. The extra miles past the marathon distance is all mental anyway. It is so good to see you posting more often again.

Slo, it seems like you are going to have a lot of fun with your family this weekend. Wine and Gu...that is my kind of runner.

My son David is running the Krakow, Poland marathon tomorrow, the 25th, but actually he will start running at around 10pm tonight our time. I am having a blast texting him back and for today.

No run for me yet, off to the Methow to see Daniel play soccer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks for all the hugs yesterday. I rarely get sick and am a big baby when it hits. But I believe in the restorative power of sleep, and came home after work to take a nap before DS2 came home and woke me up. I started to get dinner ready (just easy stuff boys like), and when DH came home I was at the end of my rope and out of knots. I went to bed at 8:30 and didn't get up till after 7! Feel so much better today. Throat still a little sore but not as bad, and that pain in my stomach is gone (yay!). Back still a little sore but not bad and headache gone. Whew!

Tim, I'm not a morning runner either. I wonder if that's one of the reasons I like Boston so much. Glad to hear your shop is getting done and ready to go. And yes, the 50k will not be so bad. Just remember, every time you increase distance, your average pace should drop a little bit. It's not like you're going to try the 50k at HM pace, right?

Nice run, Roch. Always gives me a grin to hear of you running with the young chickas around there.  

Enjoy the soccer game, Marposai! It'll be another week before we have our first high school game here.

DS1 has a track meet today at 11 and it's the first one I'll actually be able to go watch. It's kind of nice to have no long runs on the schedule so I feel like I have more of my life back. I've got lots I want to get done around the house today, as well as fit in a run (just 6 miles or so) and shopping. It's a beautiful day but a little chilly, just right for running! Whatever I do though, I'll take it easy and not push it. Don't want to have a set back in whatever it is I'm dealing with.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I hope our racers are having a good weekend so far.

Tramps.. your take it easy 5K was faster than my PR!  Not bad right after Boston!

2 mile walk with the dogs a bit faster and less sore. Then a bunch of leg strengthening and core. Much better.

London Marathon is tomorrow. That should be a fast one with such a strong field.

It will be delayed aired on Universal Sports at 11am EST

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Quick fly-by in between soccer and cleaning/cooking for company tonight.

10 miles on the TM, ranging from 10:00 to 10:20 pace.

DD's team won this morning, and DD scored a goal!  We stopped to buy her a donut to celebrate.

Divechief - I would LOVE to do the Harpath Hills Flying Monkey.  Do you know when they usually sell out?

ETA - Tim - this 50K is 4 loops, so if you bonk you can quit at 23 miles, okay? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Perch--I agree.  that 5K is down in my dreaming level.  Not too shabby a week after Bonkingston.

Enke--Good for your son.  As a dance father, I always wondered why more boys didn't figure this out.  You go into dance you get to hang out with large numbers of cute girls with very little competition.  Too bad peer pressure is so tough at that age.

For all you DQ addicts (youknow who you are), I just saw a commercial saying the you can buy one, get one for $0.25.  This has been a public sevice message.    

1 hour pump class today.  Skipped last week for a 5K, so the arms were quivering again.  but I did work with a little more weight for a little longer this time.

Not a huge amount of miles this past week, but I almost felt like I had a let down after the marathon and I didn't even run   But I hope for 5-6 tomorrow.

Off to Huntersville, NC on Monday for a project kidkoff meeting.  Only 3 days this time, so not a lot of time to explore.  Most likely a couple of TM runs as the hotel doesn't look like there's a lot of decent running areas around.

eta Erika--glad you're feeling better.  Also glad the boys were such a big help

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Was to be a rainy, stormy day in Nashville today. So the Country Music Marathon announced a contingency plan for weather. There was to be a time cutoff at mile 11.2. Anybody slower than 4:30 pace for the marathon was to be diverted to finish the HM instead. The weather turned out to be reasonable, and they did not end up executing the plan.

And then...out of the blue...

Somewhere between 3:45 pace and 4:00 pace, at mile 21.5, runners were diverted to go straight to the finish line rather than complete the last 3.5 mile loop in a park. I was on ~3:55 pace at that point, and between the 3:45 and 4:00 pace groups and I got diverted. I saw several people unsuccessfully arguing with the cops at the diversion point. I did not bother. I just ran it in. I tore my D tag off right before hitting the finish line so I would not register a 3:21 finish. My kids got the medal, I did not get to earn it. The prerace contingency plan of cutoff @ 4:30 at mile 11.2 was not put into place but I think they may have triggered the 11.2 mile cut around 5:00 pace.

Apparently some lightning had been spotted.

Chicago 2007. Myrtle Beach 2010. Now CMM 2010.