Masters Running

Monday, 3.21.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sounds like a good day yesterday, Deeze. I'm sure Steven will appreciate having you around for another week. And yes, an event like what he/you went through will have some lasting impacts. Good luck on fighting some of those bills. To be nice about it, there does seem to be a lack of consistency and controls over medical billing practices.

Nice run in the chill, TwoCat.

So, you got a little race taste yesterday, Enke, and it tasted good, eh?

Sounds like a great time at the Shamrock for you and some other well-experienced runners, Tammy. Good for all of you!

Nice 20+ mile run and heavy garden chores cross-training, Holly. Your energy is amazing. Great photo of DD, the future golf pro.

Great run, Aamos, regardless of the weather. Regarding shoe shopping, I've learned that if the shoe doesn't fit, I must quit.

Congrats on 12 cough-free miles, Mariposai.

Great 8 for Mike.

Tselbes, congrats on beating your pace goal and 1st place AG hardware in the St. Pats. race.

Redemption for Tet! Well, except for that toothbrush...

The chocolate whiskey cake came out pretty well yesterday. I slept quite well after a post-dinner slice of it last night!

SRD today, which works out fine, since we have about 4" of snow on the ground, and it is still coming down. Welcome to Spring!

have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Welcome to spring in NE.  Our predicition was for 3-5" and there was at least 5" on the ground when I left for work and still coming down.  One section of the road in NH had 3 or 4 cars off the road and even a tow truck stuck in the median.  DW was nice enough to let me steal the Subaru for the commute.  Only an extra 40 minutes from normal.

Almost wished it wasn't a normal rest day, the snow looked so pretty.  5.5 miles yesterday on a route that offered a little more elevation changes than just around the lake.  Just a bit harder.

Cake looks good, Jay.  Do you pour the whiskey on after, or mixed in?

If someone IN the healthcare field has trouble with the insurance, what hope is there for us mere mortals?  Good luck on the rehab AND billing , Deez.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

5.6 recovery miles this am. Brisk temps, moonlit streets.

Mmmm, Cake looks and sounds delish. How much whisky does that call for? I usually don't keep cheaper stuff around.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Spring break starts today for ice-free lakeside walk with DD and GS, GS at the big indoor field house with friend while I see how many miles can be accumulated circling the upper-level walker perimeter followed by mostly standing at the bottom of the Big Red Slide, I hope, for more of my newly-redeemed swimming fun at the nearby pool and Cub Scouts after dinner. Whew.

If someone IN the healthcare field has trouble with the insurance, what hope is there for us mere mortals?  Good luck on the rehab AND billing , Deez.

Good luck too deez.

You can’t skimp on good health but, if it’s anything like the aftermaths of everyone elses’ medical and legal sagas, Steven will be well on his way by the time everything is worked out. Have infinite patience for the long run and keep building the paper trail you’ve already started. It’s like training for a marathon scheduled in two or three years.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

O deez, insurance just gets me riled up.  my sympathies......I'm guessing Steven will be making his marks therapy wise, which is the thing upon which to focus.

Cake looks good, but I bet it tastes way better, even.

OK, speaking of weather, David Price did not make the trip to the away game (Mets) to the other coast yesterday "because of weather."  What?  Is it too humid for him?  He used to play for Tampa. 

It was very cool and really windy this am.  I had to wear long sleeves.    It's still just 59 and the wind has decreased to 16 mph.   Got in 8 miles.

Holly, is DD coming to Green Bay??

Our running friend Gus Ormrod ran his first half ever yesterday at age 60 and finished in 1:49.    And a SD friend, Teresa Verberg,  finished a 100 miler this weekend in 28 hours.  She's in her late 50s.   Just wanted to post something cheery about us oldsters!

You are prudent Jay.    Hope you find the right ones soon.

sayhey tet--I'll come run that marathon with you.

way to run creatively, Mari.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, is DD coming to Green Bay??

No, thankfully, DD is one of the reasons I take these trips away from home.....

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or thereabouts of weights and core.

The boss sent out 13 letters last week to clients who will be impacted by the new Medicaid law, asking them to "make an appointment with Holly asap to reevaluate their plan and coordinate a new strategy that is compliant under the new law."  Like I have time for 13 client appointments this week, let alone the time for reevaluating their plans and coordinating the new strategy under the new law.  I feel tired just thinking about it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The health insurance industry in the US is something I will never understand.  I now have a big deductible, so I am just hoping I don't get sick.  Years ago when I was married and had ridiculously good health coverage, I would feel guilty lining up at the pharmacy and having a zero copay while everyone else was paying.  How is that fair?

Tet, your GS is really lucky to have you around!

People keep bringing cookies into work.  Almost everyday.  Don't they know I have no resistance?

I was wiped out yesterday after that 9 mile run, much more than I expected.  Today I am still pretty sore, especially from the downhill running, so no biking or running.  It's raining and so I kind of enjoyed relaxing on the longer bus commute today.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

deez4boyz I sure hope something breaks on the hospital bill front. Bad enough to have been as ill as your DS without massive bills to deal with afterwards.

Holly S. just reading about what you are expected to do at work is tiring!

AamosY if you are thinking of joining tetsujin209 for a marathon how about a relay team in the fall!? Florida has lots of flights up the New York and Boston!

No running for me today. Woke up to about an inch of snow on the lawn but none on the roads. Then the sun came out and it has turned into a really nice day. My DW decided to stay home today in order to work on her mother's estate. Fun way to burn a vacation day! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

twocat, since Holly isn't bringing DD to GB (DD almost made it to Charleyboy, which is why I asked), I'm going to Ohio in September for the Air Force marathon and run with Holly and Tara.

Now if you ever know of a 6 person relay team.......

and enke, I would love to help you out with that cookie problem.  

(I'm taking a break and celebrating successfully negotiating Monday morning!)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Now if you ever know of a 6 person relay team.......

You should see if TC can give you every other leg in one van.  that might keep you occupied.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

No, thankfully, DD is one of the reasons I take these trips away from home..... 

Ha! I remember talking about this on the bus ride to the start of the Freedom's Run marathon. There are times I'm glad I didn't have a girl. My brother has two and that's enough for me! Boys were challenging enough, especially that younger one.

Whisky cake looks yummy! So what's the difference between Whiskey and Whisky? Just a preference? I never know which one to use. Sort of like gray and grey.

Holly, the green-ness of your grass is stunning. My lawn is still all white, and will be for awhile still.

Yeah, Amy could do every other run easily! Would the relay allow that? Runner 2 to have 6 legs?

Insurance isn't the most frustrating part... it's the providers who refuse to negotiate with insurance companies and have free reign to charge whatever they want. Also, the level of unnecessary and redundant care in this country is insane. It's a perfect "fox watching the hen house" situation and most of the "reform" has been on the insurers and payers, not on the provider side. Until some controls get put in place there, we have a totally unsustainable system that will hamper individuals' ability to pay for their care, and will hold our country back in the global marketplace in the future. <steps off soapbox>

I got out for 14.1 miles yesterday but boy were my legs tired! I realized the Saturday filing project I did basically included hours of squats and stairs as I spread all the papers to go through on the floor, then culled what I didn't need and grouped stuff into folders, up and down, up and down. Had no thought for the next day's run, but my legs sure reminded me! Paths had been plowed again (a second spring plowing is almost unheard of around here, but the recent snow made them a mess) and it warmed up so it was nice to be out, but I had no sproink and stopped a lot to rest.

So, yesterday's dead-legged run and some recent soreness in my right heel made me decide to take today off. I rarely take rest days, so this seemed as good a time as any, even with temps in the upper 30's and it looks really nice out there.....

...howdy//...........back from Spring Break with Claire,,,,,,

we took her to the Adventure Science Museum

her

Favorite Section was ''The Body''

you climbed

into a Pink Intestinal Tract Slide

and

it made a ''Poop'' Noise when you pop out the other end............BIG hit with the 8-year olds

========

but I digress,

firggin' SNOWED yesterday and 30s

did

60-min HHW in 40-degrees today

and

a Trial Hike tomorrow to get ready for a Visit with My Crazy Brother next month

Spring is in the Air

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 9.4 miles with some speed thrown in the middle.

Okay--that's it--gotta go!  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - add to all the squats, stairs, etc. everything

the goddesses do around the house after work

as a matter of course and it's no wonder

you're all held in such awe and honor.

Re: (GF)’s car
                              Dear Dad
                              Thanks for helping GS getting the budding
                              pussy willows we rarely see in March
                              Fortunately, (GF) and I were able to fix
                              her car while you were gone.
                              I'm not saying anything else
                              love u
                              Sent from my iPhone

ps - thanks for 2016 mikeE and aamos.

I'll make sure everyone has a good time,

one-way-or-the-other.

I

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

...howdy//...........back from Spring Break with Claire,,,,,,

we took her to the Adventure Science Museum

her

Favorite Section was ''The Body''

you climbed

into a Pink Intestinal Tract Slide

and

it made a ''Poop'' Noise when you pop out the other end............BIG hit with the 8-year olds

That is hilarious!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."