Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.18.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (5 wintry-mix miles)
    RunnerKSA (3.5 Marriott Residence TM miles)
    Stumpy (3.1 nekkid lake miles)
    Jlynne (1 hr on the elliptical + 25 min of weights & core + paintbrush cross-training)
    Henrun (3 snowy/slushy morning walking miles + afternoon yoga)
    Tomwhite (60 min X-bike)
    C-R (3.1 lunchtime TM miles + 6 nighttime with the running club)
    Catwhoorg (11 TM miles + snow sweeping cross-training)
    Surly Bill (8 miles at 8:02 pace)
    Bioguy (4 carppy miles)

Falconfixer (8.7 miles in light rain/flurries, 4 with counterpart)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Mike (12 nighttime miles, with 10 at tempo pace)

Tammy (3.2 miles)

I hope KSA got home OK, and that everyone is dealing well with snow/cold. Not too worried about those with temps in the 60s and 70s. I'm glad the healing is progressing, Twocat, even if it (as it always does) is taking longer than you'd like. I agree with the PEX recco, Surly Bill.

Just 1.6 miles this morning. I turned around early when it became clear that there was just too much ice on the roads from yesterday's snow to be able to have even an EZ workout at any speed. So it goes.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

. I agree with the PEX recco, Surly Bill.

Me, too.  As much as I enjoy sweating copper, PEX and the sharkbite compression fittings are SO easy to use.

I planned on skipping because of the ice predictions, so I guess I guessed right.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

-1° on my front porch this morning.

I went to the gym and ran 4 miles on the treadmill. I did 6x440 at a quicker pace, but not that quick. Like 9:30 pace.   (The rest ones were 10:30.)

Yesterday I wasn't feeling all that great. Everything that is wrong with me seemed to flare up. The ringing in my ears was worse, my neck tingling was more persistent, work was more blah than normal...  Rather than work too hard I updated the software I use to do programming.  A new release came out a month or 2 ago. It took me a few hours to wrestle that into place. More work than should be needed but it has some slick new features. Too bad I am getting so old.  Younger developers are getting some great tools to work with. They just keep getting better. I started out with a basic text editor. 

I sent my doctor an email about my ears. I have never done anything about the ringing because I don't usually notice it, and all research I have done says there is no solution, so why bother? But he said he'd refer me to an ENT.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks, Jay.  Our trip back was shockingly smooth.  Both flights were on time, our group of 4 had beer and dinner in the Baltimore airport between flights and we landed in Nashville 20 minutes early. It was bitter cold when we landed.  Oh- and while we were traveling last night we got an email from Southwest giving us each a $100 voucher to make up for the travel delay due to their mechanical issue the day before.  Not bad.

4 miles on the treadmill at my house this morning.  Going into work a little late (well, a lot late).  It's been a tired couple of weeks.  Of course, while I was on the treadmill I got 20 work emails (on my phone upstairs).  Nice to be loved.....

2.3 more miles after work on the treadmill to play a little catch up with my mileage.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hello Masters.  Back from our 3 week RV journey that took us from NC to MD to south GA to Savannah to Charleston, then home.  Some work, mostly play.  Cold and/or icy and/or snowy every day except about 3 days where we touched 60s and 70s.  Burned lots of propane!  Spent very little time on the computer, hence my absence.  Enjoyed a few runs in some new places.  Always fun to explore.  Right foot PF is still being stubborn, which affects my mileage and enjoyment.  Back at PT tomorrow.  Time to catch up on things around the house.  Helping DS install new kitchen appliances tomorrow and doing DD's taxes on Saturday.  Kids always have "activities" lined up for me.  It's good to be needed!

It will take me a few days to catch up on what's been happening around here.  Hope the New Year has been treating everyone well.  I did skim quickly and saw some posts about personal losses.  My condolences to those who lost loved ones and friends recently.

Oh, and 3 miles on the TM yesterday.  Off day today (core).

Have a good day everyone.

TammyinGP

Today will be a rest day from running. I'm so busy at work right now - getting a few things done as I'm trial assistant on a murder starting next week and possibly going about 5 or 6 days, so will be out of office alot. Various pre-trials motions on Monday that I'm helping the attorney prepare. 

so crazy mild here. 51 this morning on my drive into work at 7:00 a.m. Yet, we are waiting for the impending cold front bringing lots of rain and snow to the region by the weekend. We'll probably drop 20 degrees in the next 48 hrs. 

one local woman died from this flu last night. She had been in a coma and per her advanced directive was not to be left on life support, so she passed last night. I'm still knocking on wood that I haven't been sick this season, even though both DH and DS have been.

Tammy

The flu, and varying degrees of it, have been running through our office.  I feel very lucky that my episode with it was pretty mild, even though the residual affects lasted about two weeks.

Dave - Good luck with finding something to help my ringing in your ears.  My dad had that pretty bad and sometimes it just about drove him nuts.

30 min of core/ST last night.  Using the crutches a little bit less each day, but am being very cautious.  Maybe too cautious??  I don't know.  I'm going to see my podiatrist today and get his thoughts on everything from "Are these aches normal when using the foot again?" to "When can I start motoring around and easing back into running?"  Of course, the last question is the most important. 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - I, too, hope you get that ringing figured out - that would be aggravating.

KSA - Glad you made it home.

Opus - sounds like a great trip!

Leslie - caution it good.  Nice running/walking weather is on the horizon.

So, my oral surgeon had a cancellation and fitted me in this morning.  I knew when they asked me to change rooms, fitted me with a plastic tarp, and said "You weren't planning on going in to work today, were you?" that it was not going to be good.  As I feared, implant fail.  Not wanting to spend the extra money on nitrous, I went with the gazillion shots of Novocain for the surgical procedure to remove the implant, do more bone grafting, and stitch it up.  $820 later, I am home, feeling pretty shaky.  The good news is that he will put in a new implant for free in 3-4 months.  The bad news is that it will still cost me probably another $2000 in parts and anesthesia.  At least I have some time to start working DH around to the concept.

8 miles for me on the TM this morning (before the appt).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly- I'm sorry you have to go through all that, not to mention the expense.  It is important, though, and I'm glad you are taking care of yourself!

Opus- that sounds like a great trip.

Swamped at work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

[[[ holly ]]]

..........Easy Does It fatozzig...............

You Know

How You Get

=================

........well, able to see Road this afternoon......Ice finally Melting

.60-min NordicTrak.........on incline with resistance....

...Butt-Kicking at it's Finest

.........First Visit Post-Surg with Doc tomorrow

I have a List.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly - It sucks financially now, but you have 3-4 months to prepare for the expense and NOT having good dental care now will be very detrimental as you age.  My BIL ignored his teeth for years and has been deeply paying for it the last few years.  Dentures are NOT the way to go unless it's the only available option.  I may be out of line saying this, and if I am I apologize, but I would guess your DH would get his teeth appropriately fixed if it were him in this position.

[[[ holly ]]]

..........Easy Does It fatozzig...............

You Know

How You Get

=================

........well, able to see Road this afternoon......Ice finally Melting

.60-min NordicTrak.........on incline with resistance....

...Butt-Kicking at it's Finest

.........First Visit Post-Surg with Doc tomorrow

I have a List.

And how do I get, Tom???   Don'tcha just love going into doctor's offices with lists?  You can see them working extremely hard to not roll their eyes. 

I can't for the life of me figure out how to start a trust accounting I need to do.  It's not like I've never done one - I've done plenty.  My brain is just on total fart mode right now . . . which is why I'm wasting time in here . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly S. I am going to second everything fatozzig said.

Dave59 heck, I still do my programming with a text editor. The one I use is called TextPad and I have been using it for decades.

Ran 10 miles this morning. The deep freeze has returned, but I braved the temperatures and went outside anyway. Not evanflein temperatures, but cold for here; high teens.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly - It sucks financially now, but you have 3-4 months to prepare for the expense and NOT having good dental care now will be very detrimental as you age.  My BIL ignored his teeth for years and has been deeply paying for it the last few years.  Dentures are NOT the way to go unless it's the only available option.  I may be out of line saying this, and if I am I apologize, but I would guess your DH would get his teeth appropriately fixed if it were him in this position.

Holly I'm glad you are taking care of that implant now too!! Dental problems are no fun and yet a necessary expense!!

5:30 Body Pump then 3.2 treadmill miles with intervals

denise

Henrun

((Holly, Dave))

Holly, I went through some dental problems this past year and I begrudgingly paid a year after our dental insurance lapsed. Both my parents had dentures and they weren’t happy with them.

Couldnt get out for a run till this afternoon and by then the sun had dried up the sidewalks and bike paths. Did 3.2 miles.

bioguy

Hi all

I don't think a run is in the cards today; woke up feeling a tad lousy.

Sorry to read about dental problems; last fall my dentist recommended extraction of two wisdom teeth- heck, I'm 58 years old and they never bothered me. He showed me a digital x-ray and pointed to pockets i can't floss. Anyway, no gas or complete knockout, just went for a bunch of novacaine. Wasn't too bad.....

Tailwinds!