Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge, 1/7-1/13 (Read 337 times)

TammyinGP

time to start our 2nd week of the plank challenge!

this week, we'll add 30 seconds to whatever amount of time you were doing last week. For some that might be increasing from 60 seconds to 90 seconds, for others you may have started out with a longer time on your planks.

If you are still finding that even 90 seconds of planks is too easy, you can add some variations to challenge yourself.

For example, in your forward facing plank, you can rest on your hands, instead of elbows. Or you can lift one leg and the opposite arm while holding your plank.

Plank with Leg Lift

Start in plank position with your forearms and toes on the floor.

• Slowly raise one leg 5-8 inches off the floor
    • Count to two and slowly lower your leg to the floor.
    • Switch legs and repeat.
    • Do about 2-3 sets of 10 reps.

Plank Exercise with Leg Lift

Plank with Arm Lift

• Start in the same plank position as above.
    • Carefully shift your weight to your right forearm.
    • Extend your left arm straight out in front of you.
    • Hold 3 seconds while keeping your core tight.
    • Slowly bring your arm back to starting position.
    • Switch arms and repeat.
    • Do 2-3 sets of 10 reps.

Tammy

coastwalker

Hi Tammy,

I wimped, and only did 'regular' planks today: 90 sec front; 30 sec each, left and right.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I think I'm a little dense... I've been doing 7 sets of 30 second holds, and was thinking of upping my holds by 5-10 seconds each to increase my total time. Any problem with doing it that way?

TriBee2010

Summary of first week:

Mon 3x30 seconds: left, right, forward and back bridge

Tue 1x45 sec: left, right, forward and back bridge

Wednes 3x30 seconds: left, right, forward and back bridge

Thurs 1x45 sec: left, right, forward and back bridge

Fri injuries ouchie, rest day

Sat inuries ouchie, rest day

Sun 1x45 sec: left, right, forward and back bridge

Total for the week: 21 minutes planks (Does that mean I'm good to go for three weeks?)

Goal this week is to be a bit kinder to my ouchies so that I can get all planned training in, including planks every day!

Can I join this week?

Didn't see the Plank challenge thread until last Thursday.

Got in my standard set of 3 X 45 second planks (left side, front, right side) on each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Again in the gym this morning...... 3 X 45 seconds, but with alternating leg lifts for the first 20 seconds on the front plank.  Will add time tomorrow.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

jeffdonahue

Summary of 1st week for me

plank - 1:00

side plank - 30 seconds each

Started this week off last night

plank 1:30

side plank - 45 seconds each

Hoping to get to a 5 minute plank and 2:30 side planks by the end of the month.

TammyinGP

Did 50 seconds forward facing plank and 25 secs on each side.

Remember, what I'm posting is just a guideline. Many of you have done planks before and can do multiple sets or hold your planks longer. Do what challenges YOU. For others that are just starting to incorporate planks and strengthen their core, it might be easier to follow the recommendations I'm posting. This is more about making some type of core workout a daily part of your routine.

If you missed last week, it's never too late to jump in Smile

Tribee - what is a back bridge?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

OM - I don't see why not.

Two 30-second side planks and a 60-second plank one one leg, alternating foot every 15 seconds.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Same routine Saturday and Sunday; one minute forward plank and one minute   on each side. One side is easier than the other, which is odd...

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tried to post earlier from my iPad, but it didn't work... "post" button was shaded out, very odd...

3x 45 sec front 
                      1x 30 sec right 
                      1x 45 sec front 
                      1x 30 sec left 
                      1x 30 sec front

4:30 total

1 x 2 min forward plank (I had to drop to my knees a couple of times)

1 x 1 min left side

1 x 1 min right side

I did these at the end of my total run (4 miles) and core/strength training workout (1 hr.) which made things interesting. Blush

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

1 x 2 min forward plank (I had to drop to my knees a couple of times)

1 x 1 min left side

1 x 1 min right side

I did these at the end of my total run (4 miles) and core/strength training workout (1 hr.) which made things interesting. Blush

Interesting as in good or bad? I'm finding I like doing the planks before my run, because they rev up my metabolism and my run feels better overall.

TriBee2010

Tammy,

This is a back bridge (without the marching part, that comes later):

MARCHING BRIDGE
                            With your head, shoulders, and both feet on the floor, push up into a bridge position. While up, begin "marching"—alternate lifting each foot about an inch off the ground, while keeping your pelvis steady and facing straight up. Do three sets of 20 marches (10 on each leg), with a short break between each set.

Another variation is this:

KNEE-TO-CHEST BRIDGE
                            Pull in your right knee, holding it against your chest. Keeping your head and shoulder blades on the floor, push up with your left leg into a bridge position while keeping your right leg against you. Push up, keeping the pelvis level, then lower yourself down. Do 12 to 15, then switch legs. Do three sets on each side.

(Excerpted from here: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/move-those-hips)

Both are for building hip extension--glutes are used to hold the position. If you feel it primarily in your hamstring or lower back, you're using the wrong muscles. You should be able to wiggle your toes when you do it.

Completed my set of planks @ 90 seconds each.

January 7 planks @ 90 seconds (1x front, 2x each side)---done

January 8 planks @ 90 seconds ((1x front, 2x each side)---done

January 9 planks @ 90 seconds  (1x front, 2x each side) ---done

January 10 planks @90 seconds (1x front, 2x each side)---done

January 11 planks @90 seconds (1x front, 2x each side) ---done

January 12 planks @ 90 seconds (1x front, 3x each side at 30 seconds)----done

January 13 planks @ 60seconds (3 x front, 4x each side at 45 seconds)-----done

Switched it up a bit since weight workouts and other core stuff is back in the regimen