Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge, 1/7-1/13 (Read 337 times)

Interesting as in good or bad? I'm finding I like doing the planks before my run, because they rev up my metabolism and my run feels better overall.

Interesting in that  my arms, legs, and core were pooped from the other stuff I did, then I did the planks at the end.  The last 10-20 seconds found me shaking just a tad ( . . . or more . . . .Black eye).  It'll be fun to see how things have progress by the end of the week.

Marching Bridges?  That looks tough.  I do regular bridges on a stability ball and do the ole "put your heels on the stability ball and slowly roll it out 'til your legs are straight then pull them back."  That always is a kick in the hammies and gluteus  maximus.  Will have to try the marching on Wednesday.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

60 seconds front + 15 seconds each side = 90 seconds.  I think that's about a minute and a half.

60 seconds front + 15 seconds each side = 90 seconds.  I think that's about a minute and a half.

Close enough for who it's for, I'd say.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Told our spin instructor this morning that after class I needed to do planks.  We usually finish with a few minutes of ab work anyway.

She made us pay.

30 seconds each left side, centre, right side, centre, left side, centre, right side.

No breaks.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

oops sorry, double post

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

camille2

Let's just say I don't need the extra challenges.  Smile  I'm doing 2 min total including 30 on each side. Still tough for me-I need it.

coastwalker

Jan 8: 90 sec. front, 90 sec. back bridge. That's all I had time for today.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

A bit of a variation from yesterday's sequence, but still the same total time of 4:30. Oh and still just as hard. Wink

3x 0:45 forearm prone 
                  1x 0:30 forearm left 
                  1x 0:30 forearm prone 
                  1x 0:30 forearm right 
                  1x 0:45 forearm prone

TammyinGP

a.m. session of planks:

50 seconds forward.

25 seconds on each side.

will repeat tonight.

eta: did the same as above for the p.m. session.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

60 seconds forward and 15 seconds each side--done.

Marathon Maniac #957

30, 30, and 30 for me on Tuesday. (front and sides)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy,

This is a back bridge (without the marching part, that comes later):

MARCHING BRIDGE
                          With your head, shoulders, and both feet on the floor, push up into a bridge position. While up, begin "marching"—alternate lifting each foot about an inch off the ground, while keeping your pelvis steady and facing straight up. Do three sets of 20 marches (10 on each leg), with a short break between each set.

Another variation is this:

KNEE-TO-CHEST BRIDGE
                          Pull in your right knee, holding it against your chest. Keeping your head and shoulder blades on the floor, push up with your left leg into a bridge position while keeping your right leg against you. Push up, keeping the pelvis level, then lower yourself down. Do 12 to 15, then switch legs. Do three sets on each side.

(Excerpted from here: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/move-those-hips)

Both are for building hip extension--glutes are used to hold the position. If you feel it primarily in your hamstring or lower back, you're using the wrong muscles. You should be able to wiggle your toes when you do it.

Tribee - I do single legged bridges, with one leg outstretched straight, I raise and lover my hips, usually 15 at a time, then switch leg.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

If you want to add a little challenge to doing a bridge, keep one foot on an upside down Bosu Ball (the flat part on top) amd raise and lower the other for 15 counts, then switch legs. I sometimes struggle to keep my balance with the foot that's on the Bosu.

coastwalker

Jan 9.

1 simple back bridge - 90 sec.

2 forward planks - 90 sec. each.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Added a third set this week. So now its 60 second front and both sides x 3. I plan to add 15 second increments next week and stick with 3 sets. For now. Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/