Masters Running

Valentine's Day Runs and Workouts (Read 670 times)

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. I had a hard workout planned but got through it just fine. Warmup, stretch then 12 miles at MP pace (target 7:45-7:50), with fast finish. Cold and windy -- hands are just starting to warm up now. Workout: 12.1 miles, 7:39/mi, last 2 at 7:27, 7:16, AHR 162 Overall: 13.0 miles, 1:40 Have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dang, you're fast Beer. 4.2 easy miles - 3 ended up being MP - in 36 minutes. Just wanted the legs loose. Give an extra hug today to your valentine and/or your other loved ones. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Valentines Day!!! Last night was gym night. I figure that I get my cardio workout with my runs in the moring - so generally I head to the cardio room for 20 minutes just to get the heart rate up a bit and then go work on weights. Last night I choose the elliptical and then worked the upper body. Felt like gumby when I left. In my ever-hopeful challenge of getting MrHopeful hooked on excersice, I bought him some weight lifting gloves and 2 30-minute sessions with a personal trainer at the gym. It is my hope that he'll get hooked and we'll sign up long term after our 3-month stint is up. I sure hope he likes it - it is a gift from the heart for the heart. Out for 3 slow miles this morning. I have a little bit of front hip pain - I think from the recumbant bike - maybe having the seat up too far. Have a great day everyone!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy V Day all....I get off cheap this year being single right now Big grin...not by choice though, just going through a dry spell with the ladies Sad Any single gal want to be my virtual Valentine today Wink Great fast run WRFB....That's impressive for that many miles!!! Nice recovery run Bill....hope your legs feel good Good luck with Mr Hopeful Mary...that is a great gift. I am always trying to get others involved with working out. Hope your hip pain is no big deal..which I'm sure it's not. Nice 3 miler too!!! 10 fairly easy miles for me last night in 1:32:45 - the weather was nice at 19 degrees with no wind and a beautiful starry night sky. The streets were clear for the most part...unlike Tues nights slush run. Good runs all, and have a great day ....and remember your special person this Valentines Day Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! WRFB – nice run to start us out today! Breger - you're looking good for your HM. Erika – nice progression run last night! Mary – what a great gift! Tim – hang in there. A handsome guy like you, I’m sure your dry spell won’t last long. I asked DH not to send me flowers this year, since we're cutting back financially in preparation for a move, but he got me a lovely selection of Cacao Reserve bars...I don't think chocolate given in love has any calories, right? Smile I got to share a Valentine’s Day run with CNYrunner before she flies back to MA later today. I love these runs with her – the miles just fly by as we chatter up a storm. Today I had a nagging pain on the inside of my left ankle though, but that might be because these shoes are at 417 miles. New shoes are in the mail – kellysrunningwarehouse.com was running a sale, so I got 2 pairs in 2 different colors. 10 miles at a GA pace (ave pace 9:17) in 15 degrees. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

10 easy miles for me today, 10:07 pace in 22F temps with slight winds. Little was left of yesterday's ice though. Have a great Valentine's Day everyone.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I also have the "cold hands" syndrome...I had a hard time opening up the frozen fruit for my protein smoothie this morning....mid-20's here. 8.07 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace on a sunny but chilly morning. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--not only no calories, but if it's what I'm thinking of, dark chocolate is full of antioxidants Big grin eta: Holly--is that site kellysrunningwearhouse.com or just runningwearhouse.com? the kellys version doesn't seem to work. but the just plain runningwearhouse has my GTS7's for only $53 and I would like to know if they're a decent site. thanks Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Holly, I am experiencing little aches too....new shoes arrive tonight UPS. My shoes currently have over 500 miles on them. Actually, about the past week or so, I felt like I was running almost bare foot because of my shoes being broke down...I normally wait till I actually need shoes instead of mileage, but probably need to change that mentality. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

A run/jog along the Sound today in Bellingham, WA. It's gorgeous here. I will finish up around lunch time, then drive back to Seattle for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner with my secret date, then fly home in the morning. Meanwhile, I have my Valentine's Day gift and card hidden in the house for The Saint. Riblet is supposed to give it to her today. My foot is feeling much better after last weekend's work, and all the ice, massage, sock and stretches. Looking for improvement this weekend. Lou, that was a nice workout. You never stop improving. Bill, when your HR was up last week about 10 beats, did you ease off? Were you getting sick? Or did it all just recover naturally? That's the time to be careful. Spareribs
                        Good morning and happy Valentine's Day, all! Lou's smokin' in spite of the windy cold. Mary - I hope your ploy works! My husband eschewed all exercise for the first 15 years of our relationship. He finally slipped into running when he quit smoking and then added weight work. Now he is a confirmed gym rat - he goes through withdrawals when he doesn't get his daily weight-lifting fix. It was a winter wonderland (4 inches of snow) when I left the house yesterday morning, and absolutely no evidence it had ever snowed when I got home last night. I've never seen snow disappear so quickly. DH was deprived of the joy of blading the driveway with his tractor. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Happy Valentine's Day Boomers. Five miles on the dreadmill this morning at an unsproinky pace. I don't know why, by the end of the week I always seem to be out of gas. I did do upper body weights and a lot of ab exercises - gotta make up for the big CHOCOLATE cake I'm going to bake today. Mary, I know what you mean. My DH used to run with me all the time when we first got married. Now it's a struggle to get him out for a walk. He did sign up for a yoga class, so hopefully that will get him more fired up. I truly miss running with him. WRFB, you are a machine! I wish I could run 12 miles at that kind of pace. PDR had a good run as well. Sue, if you need snow to plow, come here. We're in the middle of another snowstorm with 3 inches already on the ground and 5-6 still to come. There's no place to put it any more. Sad Holly, can you tell me more about that website? I just bought a new pair of Asics (which I always wear) and for some reason, the rub points near the ankles are different and I'm getting blisters. It's great that companies keep tweaking their shoes, but I kind of liked my old ones, which they no longer make. I thought maybe that website might still have a pair of my old Asics left. Spareribs, good luck with your "secret date." It's nice that there are so many romantic men on the RA website. Easy on the chocolate today, Boomers. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly, I am experiencing little aches too....new shoes arrive tonight UPS. My shoes currently have over 500 miles on them.
                            Tim – I push my shoes usually to 525 miles or so, but when they get up past 400 I begin wearing a newer pair predominately, and using the older pair for short, easy-paced runs. The rotation allows me to wear them a little longer, I think.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Morning All I have a day off today as I will swap tomorrow's due to nightshift last night. I got Mrs Roy home produced flowers and locally made organic dark choc truffles, (which we both like). Some good pressies out there, like Mary's idea, I sure he'll soon get addicted. A romantic song for today Big grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-L_AuuaxI needs to be turned up load. Good Runs All Roy How do you make links on here?
                              btb1490

I just wanted to pop in and wish a happy Valentine's day to all you guys and gals out there. Remember, chocolate is good for you in many ways. Wondering about the history of Valentine's Day, I found that there are many theories behind it. I liked this one the best. According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.