Masters Running

8.4.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about all the 'sucks,' Stumpy, but at least you got out there (in the wilds of NJ, of which there are many) for a run.

Aamo, these days, I keep all electronics out of our bedroom so I can focus on sleeping at night. I guess my priorities have changed... Sorry (I think) that I missed National Grab Some Nuts Day.

Jlynne, congrats on the 5 steamy, sweaty miles with the Y girls. And then helping spread 12 yards of bark? You sure know how to live it up in steamy weather! BTW, I switched to racewalking in '04, and have only run very sporadically since then.

I'm sorry about the unreliable knee, Lamerunner, but I'm glad that you are finding other ways to stay active and fit. BTW, most drivers around here (southeastern NH) are pretty considerate - I find it is mostly the out-of-stater who aren't.

TW, Nice biking and pooling. I hope you had a good time at "the Boils." Do you know there is a Fly Fishing Museum in Manchester, VT? Might be worth a field trip, and it sounds like Tet may want to go along. If I were suspicious of 'weird,' I'd be suspicious of a lot.

WC, congrats on DD's impending marriage, and on captaining the aid station - I hope you can get the family to go share the fun with you.

Holy, good luck with the ID and PAB, and congrats on getting back to running, but don't rush it.

I'm glad (I think) that you got in the nut game, Haller. Thanks for the imagery on the Sturgeon River - you're one heck of a kayaker!

Sorry about all the rain, Evanflein. I hope the new shoes help with the blisters, if the rain every stops so you can get out and test them. But at least the forced rest is giving the blister time to heal.

Congrats on making such good use of your bike to get around, Deeze, and for being so productive. I also hope your PIA heals quickly. Transitioning from running to racewalking on alternate days would not really be a problem - transitioning from one to the other within a workout can be challenging.

Hi Mariposai. Nice bottom and top work yesterday.

I woke up late this morning (4:30), so I had to shorten my workout. It was nice out again (probably the last nice morning for a while as we warm up) at 61F but with 95+% humidity. Since I was late, I tried to be short and quick on my workout. So 4.3 RW miles at declining paces, starting at 12:25 (including my warmup), then going to 11:10, 11:07, 11:04, and 10:35 for the last 3/10. Felt good.

Have a great Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Hi Jay and those who follow,

Thanks for the recap!  Congrats to WC and Evanflein on upcoming weddings!

Went to hear music last night and knew the Sox were on the west coast so didn't worry about traffic - oops there was a James Taylor concert at Fenway so traffic was WORSE then game day!  wish we had tickets to that instead of the freebee we went to!  but it was a nice night to be out.

for those considering meniscus surgery (including me) , an interesting article against it

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/upshot/the-right-to-know-that-an-operation-is-next-to-useless.html

Ran 5 this am in great temps at a far slower pace then Jay walked (no pun intended)

marj

Good morning Jay, Marj and all to follow. 4:30 is late Jay? Wow! On average, how many hours of sleep do you get every night? Not many, I'm guessing. Great workout this morning, especially the declining paces part.

Gee Marj - I didn't know you were having meniscus troubles. What freebie concert did you get to attend?

It was already 75° with dew points close to 70 at 5:00 AM so I opted for the elliptical and weights at the Y this morning. I don't know what it is about me that I can't handle heat and humidity very well.   And I spent close to 5 hours helping the kids spread bark yesterday. That was really tough, but we got it done! I think I sweated off a few pounds!

I hate to share my lawless ways, but a month ago I got a ticket for running a red light on my way home from the Y one morning. I wasn't speeding - just going with the flow of traffic and it was 7:30 in the morning on a one-way street.  In fact, the guy driving next to me did the same thing. Well, I'm the one the cop pulled over and as he handed me my ticket he said "it was either you or that other guy." I decided to go to court and see if I could get some points back and the fine reduced (the ticket was originally for 4 points and a $96 fine). So I went last night to plead no contest. When the judge asked me if I had anything to say, I told him what the cop had told me, then explained that I was 64 years old with a clean driving record and had never gotten a ticket before. He didn't seem to care. Reduced the fine to 3 points and $85.

Have a great day, my law abiding virtual friends!

Henrun

JLynne-the concert was a rhythm and blues group (local)- good but boring. Was nice to be out in the beautiful evening nevertheless.

I'm continuing to struggle with my knee. Have a knee replacement schedule for end of November but getting a 2nd opinion in September to see if I can get it done earlier. I guess knees are big this year. Meanwhile I try to walk every morning and during the rest of the day. Did 2miles this morning. Have also gone back to swimming at the Y and that seems to be helping my head and level of fitness.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy birthday to Mike E!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday MikeE!!

I'm excited for your daughter and future SIL, Carolyn! What an exciting adventure to travel for 6 mos and see the world!   Have fun at your aid station volunteering! 

Back to work after my 'staycation' . We had a nice time staying home but went through FAR more money staying home than if  we would have gone camping! We did something fun everyday - saw a movie, took a day trip to some spots along the Rogue River as potential future (dry) camping areas, went on the Hellgate Jetboats one night and spent most of yesterday rafting on the Rogue. Nice hot day to be on the river and since it was middle of the week, it wasn't packed with rafters like it normally is on the weekends.

I got in some running (not much but at least consistent) for the last 3 days. And played some tennis with David too. He starts driver's training on Monday - so he'll be in class M-Th for the next 3 weeks.  He's getting pretty anxious to get that license and not rely on us to get him where he needs to go. Probably means I won't see him much anymore either 

Tammy

mrrun

Happy Birthday MikeE - wishing you a healthy hamstring for your birthday present!

Gee Marj - I didn't know you were having meniscus troubles. What freebie concert did you get to attend?

I've had knee pain some in February lots more in May (who hasn't) and after MRI - tear in meniscus and X-ray (some arthritis) the doc said i could have an arthroscopy which might take away the pain or it might not.  he thinks the pain is more from arthritis rather then tear.  however, i won't do anything until March by which time Henry should be OK, so he said if I wanted to come back in January.  I had an MRI in 2008 which also showed a meniscus tear, but that pain went away (fingers crossed it will again).  he said running & other activities won't make it worse, so do whatever I want and all exercise is good for arthritis prevention (if that's possible).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Birthday MikeE - wishing you a very short taper streak this time.

(doc) said running & other activities won't make it worse, so do whatever I want

and all exercise is good for arthritis prevention (if that's possible).

gotta love that doc, marj.

meanwhile, up here in GS-land for another week, why would anyone wake up early in the morning at 45o to go running down to Mary's Falls when he can go trout/smelt fishing in a nearby lake.  Unfortunately, after catching a nice rainbow trout on the very first cast yesterday with GS, zilched out this morning and had to have pancakes instead.  Maybe better luck when GS is with me this afternoon, . . . . after a walk down to Mary's Falls in the warming sunshine where he typically'll be making a half dozen or more dams, dikes, and ditches along the way.

ps tomW - they used to have the knot pictures in the tide table books but not anymore. Thanks

ps tomS - you're still way faster than me. Maybe check with Marj's doctor.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG, best wishes on being patient in your recovery.  Also it sounds like your kids are doing well.  Lame, wishing your good luck with your knee.  wild, it sounds like you're having a good visit with your daughter and her fiancee.

Tuesday, after supper, my son called.  His youngest (1 year old) had a "bug" and would not be able to go to daycare the next day.  I offered to drive the 2 hours to their place, spend the night, and watch the little guy yesterday.  My little buddy wasn't feeling too bad but was contagious so had to stay home.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s when I went out.  I did 5 miles at an 11:57 pace.

Bright and early tomorrow, we will head out for our annual family reunion in Ludington.  It will be great to see my siblings and a bunch of cousins.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...Happy B'Day mikeE//....we all chipped in and bought you this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE&index=2&list=PL4EE3BD1E35E2E69D

=================

[[[marj]]]

..mid-90s here

.........worked up to 6th gear after a month

to make the hill work more difficult on my bike

45-min bike ride with hills

and

40-min PoolRun,,nb,cf,ris

.......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild congratulations on your DD's upcoming wedding. My sympathies for when you get the bill. 

Mariposai I will second seeing yesterday's daily with so many posts! Keep it up gang!

Short post today. I have a pile of work and a train to catch in an hour. I ran 8 yesterday with my training partner who can only go 5 or 6 miles. We left from her place and she picked the route. I knew that is what would happen.  Today I went out fairly early. No, not coastwalker early. But early enough that the local temperatures were in the 60's when I got started. Ended with 13 miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

No time today, but HAPPY Day, Mike!  Healing best wishes!

Just 5.1 for me this am.

Thinking of you all!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Holly,

this whole thing with you has been so frustrating between therapy bills and questionable Dr. Diagnostics . I know it is killing you to be on the sidelines but I find it encouraging that nothing definitive has been found because in most cases like this if we can be patient and let it heal we can get back in the game as good as new. The trick is to not come back too fast. You've come this far don't do anything to set you back.  {{{{}}}}

Mike,

Happy Birthday,

Bummer , same as the last sentence above just change the name.

3.2 for me today on some wooded trails. Keeps me out of the sun on this 94 degree day and also gets me off the hard surfaces.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Coastwalker – I didn’t know the story about your racewalking beginnings, you do amaze me so keep it up.

Tselbs – sorry you are struggling but I know you’ll hang in there.

Tet – have you started streaking again?  I see you ran your 201st marathon recently…. I must have missed #200.  Was there a party?

RCG – take it easy and heal up even if it takes a while.

Stumpy – you do have to get up early before work.  I only have a 5 minute commute so it is easier for me.

Jlynne – our weather has been hot and steamy too, almost unbearable to run in the afternoon.

Lamerunner – hope the knee doc figures out what’s wrong.

Holly – glad the antibiotic worked but that knee seems to be a problem still

Hallar – It is easy to post pictures from FB, otherwise it’s a pain.  I want a kayak to paddle around the lake but don’t know what to look for.

Deez – my DH has a PITA too from sciatica, is that what yours is? He started PT today but doesn’t know if he will keep going or not at $30 a session.  Our farmers’ market is on Tuesday and I loaded up with tomatoes, melon, garlic, carrots and green peppers for under $10, sweet!

Erika – all that rain in Alaska is probably a bummer for the tourists too!  At least it’s not snow…

Wild – that would be great to have DD and DSIL2B settle in Colorado!

MikeE - Happy birthday to you, hope you get that hamstring back in shape soon.

Tammy – sounds like a fun staycation to me!

Twocat – nice 8 mile yesterday, that would be my long run, not to mention a half marathon this morning, wow!

Yesterday MrStarr and I spent almost all day at the Sanford Heart Hospital in Sioux Falls. His cardiologist wanted a CTA of his heart to rule out CAD.  It took a while for his HR to get down to 60 so they could take him to X-Ray.  We will find out soon if there is any coronary artery disease at all.  The stress test was not completely normal so will find out this way. In the meantime MrStarr has developed sciatica in his leg and has been in severe pain.  He’s been on meds for 10 days now plus does some stretching but it still hurts.  Maybe PT will do the trick.  Meanwhile his mood is getting better but some days the anxiety is pretty bad, especially if he has to go out to church or Celebrate Recovery or if someone comes to the house.   I have had trouble getting my butt out the door unless I do it first thing in the morning.  Some nights I can’t sleep hardly at all so decide to snooze….. like today.  I feel bad for Lon when he is home alone all day and then when I get hope I leave to go run.  5 ½ weeks until the Sioux Falls Half, so there’s time to get back on track.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Halllar - you are right about frustrating, and after about 2 months of not running when I return, the knee pain is quick to rear its head - not bad, but not gone either.  You are right though, rest and not doing things to aggravate it will make most things go away on their own, and cost about $2000 less.....

Since my knee was a bit tender today, I did 30 minutes on the bike trainer instead.  Running or no running, it's time for me to get off my duff and start some serious workouts, even if they have to be on the bike trainer.  I WILL FINISH the Portland Marathon, even if I have to walk half of it.  Then I can rest all winter if need be.

My 13yo cat has just recently discovered that he likes people food.   Also, that we frequently leave it on the counter.  It's getting so that nothing is safe - he will even chew through a bread wrapper to nibble on the bread.  I cooked a London broil on the grill tonight and put in on a cutting board to rest a few minutes before slicing and when I turned around, that darn cat was almost upon it.  Evil Kittie.

Did I say that DD is now on the HS golf team?  Tryouts were this week, and today they picked uniform sizes.  (I'm not sure but it may be that all the girls that tried out made it - there are never as many girls that play golf as boys.)  At any rate it means that she will get to play beautiful courses all over the county, for free, that I have never played because they are so expensive.  She has no idea how blessed she is.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."