Masters Running

Looking for Marathon Training Suggestions (Read 19 times)

Runningesq

In my early and mid 40s I used Pfitz 18/55 and achieved BQs and PRs across the board.  Back in 2012 I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of my knee, which turned me back into a "mere mortal".

Good news is that 5 years later I am back to the running volume I was pre diagnosis (I ran 5 marathons, including 2 ultras this year).  Bad news is I've never gotten my speed back and can't meet the goal times set by Pfitz for tempo runs and speedwork.  Also, too much pounding from hard workouts is deterimental to both of my knees.

Can anyone suggest realistic marathon training plans for master's athletes (I'm 50)?  I know my days of marathon PRs are behind me, but once you've been to Boston it's tough to get it out of your system...

spinach

I have fairly bad arthritis in my knees and I tried to resume running when i was in my early 40s.  The way i got back running was virtually never running on two consecutive days. I would guess i went about my first 7 or 8 years without my ever running two consecutive days.  My knees did get better, surprisingly, and I have on occasion run on consecutive days without any problems.  I got my PR for a marathon (sub 3) at age 51.

I am still doing a reasonable mileage, in part by doing two runs a day, but I find the days off to be quite important for me.  Hal Higdon has a senior training plan that is similar to my running http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51231/Marathon-Senior-Training-Program

Good luck

There's probably some written-down "plan" somewhere, but building a base without getting hurt will be the most important thing. As an old runner, I've definitely noticed the need for longer recovery, but I've also noticed in my personal case that I need to run almost every day or I will get stiff and sore and NOT have a good workout after the lull. Even 2-3 miles jogging works.

Also, as an old runner, I am very grateful for "maximum cushion" shoes such as some Hoka shoes and the Skechers Ultra series. I don't feel beat-up during or after long runs. And these shoes come in almost racing-flat weight these days, so there's no real compromise.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying