Masters Running

I CAN RUN!!!!!! (Read 359 times)

Maniac 505

I haven't posted much here since December. I've lurked when possible, Time has been short, and I haven't felt like a runner for a while. For a refresher, my last marathon in December found me limping at the 1/2 with heel pain. Very localized pain, I could press on the spot that made me yelp, it felt like a deep bruise and I self diagnosed a stress fracture and switched to the elliptical until I was pain free. 3 months later, I still hadn't healed. I scheduled a Dr appointment. My GP agreed with my diagnosis and scheduled a bone scan. We were both surprised when the bone scan was negative (No Stress Fracture) and I was referred to a podiatrist. (My GP at that point thought planter fasciitis, but I didn't agree) So off to the Podiatrist, he agreed no PF, He said the issue was Bursitis in the bottom of the heel (who knew you had a Bursa there) Confused He said, since you can't totally rest your heel, it was something that might never totally heal on it's own. since I had already been off for over 3 months (closer to 4 by then) he was willing to start more aggressive treatment then if I had shown up 3 months earlier. So, he gave me a steroid shot in my heal, told me to wear a boot for a few days (I had one from a tibia stress fracture several years ago, they are good for sympathy Roll eyes ) and he told me I would be able to start running again in a couple weeks So, Today. I kicked a modified Pfitzinger, return to running after major injury schedule http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml today was day one, 10 minute walk, 5 minute run, 5 walk, 5 run totally pain free but I am a slug, and I had to slow down from what I thought was a glacial pace I hope to be back up to marathon distance in a few months, maybe in a year and a half or so, I will be able to find out if my fastest marathon is behind me, or still ahead of me? probably close? but it felt great to run a mile or so today. now maybe I should head off to the newbies? thanks for listening. Dave
    Mariposai

What a TERRIFIC news divechief!!!!!!!!time to celebrate that mile my friend!!!!!!!! Smile Big grin. My DH and I have been praying and waiting for this good news. Now...please take it easy. Hey...you may be pacing me to a 4:30 before you know it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Anyone is always welcome--even someone who mentions a (fast) marathon in the wame paragraph Wink great news, though--glad you're back on the road

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave, So glad you were able to run pain-free today. My pace still feels glacial even on a good day, so I'll probably always hang out with the newbies. Like you, though, it just feels so great to be able to run. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats Divechief! I'm sure it felt good to be back out no matter how slow!
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

yayy divechief - welcome back from from the second time you've had to have the patience of Job. How happy to be back on the first summery day of the year. Talk to Soundie and get the fast stuff over with as the long ones are calling, calling too. ps - any plans for 5/17, 5/31 or the 6/6 Friday Night Fremont Beer Garden,... I mean 5K. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dive, congrats! From one who has been there. Keep on running. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Renee the dog

This is great news! I remember when I first hit a mile again after going down HARD with ITBS, I started crying on the treadmill and had to leave the gym. I couldn't get it back together. The relief of knowing I made it back to a mile meant all the rest were possible! And they have been. Continued running success to you!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Good news! Now be as patient as Job. Believe me. Spareribs
                      Welcome back! Ah patience - simple word, hard to execute, but absolutely necessary. Hang in there. We want you healthy and wise. (If the wealth turns up, as well, it's a bonus!)

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave, This is such awesome news! Running is such a gift, and when you can't enjoy it I'm sure it must drive you crazy. So glad you can enjoy a mile at a time now. Patience, grasshopper, the marathons will come in their own time.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

Hooray! Smile

Runners run

huskydon

Good news! All of us who have been laid up for awhile know how tough it is not running. Remember, a slower mile just means you can run longer! huskydon
                              great news!! so glad to hear you are on the mend!!

denise

evanflein

Well, as one who ran that fateful December marathon with you... I always knew you could run! But I've been concerned about you and am glad you're now on a plan of action to get back on the road! I so want to run a marathon with you and Arf soon... so you'd better get in shape and get back out there... albeit carefully, ok? I can wait...