Masters Running

You can teach an old boomer....(a sort-of RR) (Read 312 times)

I don't have the kind of memory that can recall mile 4 from 14, most of the time, so I have difiiculty with RRs. Sunday, I ran the Colorado Marathon and while it wasn't a PR, I am really happy that I learned from the mistakes I made when I ran it last year. The lessons, while all too familiar, bear repeating. Overall, I only shaved 3 minutes off my time, but I felt about 30 times better at the finish than last year. This is because I did not go out too fast. Yes, I know, we all know that. I knew it last year. Still, I was an eejit. The race is one of the most scenic ones I've run. Beginning in the Roosevelt National Forest, the first 16 miles are down the Poudre River Canyon. You start just after 6 am and it's a privilege to be in such a beautiful place as the sun rises and sparkles on the water. The air is clear, the birds are calling and everywhere you look is a scene that belongs in a Nature Photography book. Three things contribute to the urge to run fast at the start: 1) it is cold up there--the start is over 6000 feet above sealevel, it is early, and you're in a canyon--you want to run fast just to get some feeling back in your numb feet; 2) it's downhill, and then more downhill; 3) lots of Coloradians run this race--they are notoriously fit AND they are used to the altitude, as they live there--and they start (and finish) fast. I like to run in Colorado. This race is early in the year, and it's easy to forget the effect of altitude. It doesn't bother some folks, but I'm not one of them. I just didn't factor it in enough in 07. Last year, I succumbed. I was on pace to run just under 3:30 and finished with a 3:38:23. I remember hitting the flat (from about mile 16.5 to 20, there's a flat section (with a bit of a hill just before mile 19, I think--see, I truly am not good at these things!) that's in the sun along the road) and feeling rather beat up and spent. By the time I got to the bike path, around mile 20, it was all I could do to hold on to a reduced jog. I wasn't having much fun and I couldn't get my rhythm back at all. This year, I hit the 13.1 marker at 1:47:10 and finished in 3:35:36. I still felt tired, and was ready to stop running--always am at 26.2! Overall, I just felt much stronger than last year. The flat wasn't so bad. I passed a number of folks in the last 6 miles, and only one person, a fellow I'd just passed as we neared the finish, came back to pass me. There was a colorful announcer calling out our names as we finished, and when I came in, he announced my age and then said I looked "way too good" to be finishing a marathon (the half and 10K runners were crossing the same line ). While I did win my age group, the fact that gives me the biggest grin is finishing in the top 10% of all women. I was 21st out of 292. When I'm riding the bus to and lining up at the start of a race, I see all these lovely young women looking confident and strong and talking about their training; it never fails to cause me at least a few moments of doubt and thoughts of "what the heck am I doing here?" or "maybe I have that Peter Pan syndrome only as a woman" or something along those lines. So, nothing new or earth-shattering, just a fleshing out of the old advice that is well worth reviewing. ......if only I can remember it for the next race! grins, A ps: What I wore: blue/gray asics gray RR shorts gray/blue SF Marathon (w/ orange GG bridge) ss shirt, black arm warmers ----top was only revealed at mile 16 or so, as it was covered with white cotton Sioux Falls Half Marathon long sleeved shirt (pre-cut at neck, bottom, and wrist bands to allow for tear-away toss) because I am soooooo Roll eyes tired of being cold!
    Masters 2000 miles
      Nice report, A, (And A+ fashion report), and congratulations on a nice race. I, too, cannot remember Mile 3 from Mile 13. It all starts to blend together. Running at 6,000 ft.? That would kill a sea leveler like me.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, AMY!! I think it's so cool you did that well. I'm much slower than you, but I do enjoy it when I pass girls who look like they're in high school! It's great you learned from your mistakes last year! I hope you get to celebrate some.
          woooohooooo!! congratulations Amy!! you are awesome!!

denise

evanflein

For not remembering details, that was an excellent RR! Did you spend time in the area to help acclimate to the elevation? I was in Denver last December, and just felt wiped out all the time. A friend who lived there said "drink lots of water!" but I don't think it helped much. Sounds like a beautiful course. I always eyeball the other runners at the start, wondering what AG they're in and how fast they are. Glad to hear someone like you does too!

The Jogger

What a nice race, don't know how I would do altitude but the downhill sounds nice. You ran a clever race and finished strong, well done Roy PS: sounds like a lovely place to run.....
                Congratulations on a well-run race and your age group win! You are so right about not going out too fast - it is a hard lesson to learn, but it really is so true. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Aamos, congrats on another fine marathon. It sure sounds like a scenic course and you ran it well. Way to go on the AG win, top 10% of women, and besting last year. TomS
                    Great report, Amy, and as a software guy I like the nested parentheses Big grin. You are so ho-hum about yet another AG win, but it shows just how strong and marathon-maniacal you truly are. I hope to run into you at an event someday!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Okay, to begin with, you wore the right clothes. So that is a plus. Nothing worse than having someone give us what they think is a "fashion report" and have on all mismatched clothes. Second, the Saint and I were commenting last night how good you look with your new haircut. That is probably what the announcer was talking about. Third, I'm still mad because you beat me in Omaha three years ago. Now as to your race conclusions; you are right, we all say that but no one does it, even if it is something you can practice, so good going to remind people, go easy at the start. I see you were very impressed by the course and the lovely mountain scenery. And that AG win is a nice bennie too. Well done Amy. Over the weekend, they had Rapid City on the news with your severe weather. You were on the road during all of this? lucky you. Spareribs
                        Aamos, Great race, a PR for the course and you learnt from the last one...so what else can a marathoner want. A better time and an opportunity to beat it again next year. You are one tough runner Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay Aamos! Congrats on the AG win and top 7% of all women runners. I'm surprised you'd have trouble with altitude - it's not like Rapid City is at sea level. You must be at 3,000 ft or thereabouts, aren't you? I agree with you that Colorado is a beautiful place to live and run. If any of you are thinking of running in Colorado and want a place to stay to acclimate, you're welcome at my house, at 9,300 ft. Living and running at that altitude hasn't made me extra speedy, but I suppose I might surprise myself if I did a race at sea level!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Aamos, I loved that "way to good" comment. You are such an incredibily strong runner....I bow down to you. Congrats!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Carolyn! If only it weren't so spendy, I'd have my "retirement" place picked out in Colorado. (Must save more, but then, would travel less, bummer!) Anyway, I am next there for Steamboat Springs. We have a room all set, but there's a 10K the same day, if you're hanging around and wanting to get in a run.....think about it! ---we are at just over 3000 feet, but twice that still has an impact on me. I'm a wuss. ---usually I can find the DH after the race as I just look for Frank. There are so many well-behaved dogs in Ft. Collins, this plan did not work so well--I had to circle the finish area one entire turn (it was good for me to walk) before I found them. He had a greyt time visiting with lots of doggers, and even chanced upon another greyhound! Ribs! But you and the Saint haven't seen the "do" in person. Come to South Dakota. To answer your question, we were socked in all day Friday with the blizzard. We're just 5+ hours from Ft. Collins, CO, so left Sat. after 9, when the streets were cleared, and came back Sunday around 5, when the snow had mostly melted, yes! roch! I would really like to meet you, I do hope we are in the same race sometime soon. I do want to get around to the Detroit one, maybe in 09 but that's so far. Now, in about an hour, you and I are not going to have much to say to one another, but in a few days we can be friends again. [Sox open a series at Tiger Stadium (I refuse to refer to it as "Comerica" Park) at 7:05 EDT.] Thank you all for reading--you know, I forgot to add the "capper" to the fashion report--now that I have short hair, I am really enjoying wearing a cap when I run--it seems to stay on my head better and "wicks away" the "glow" from my forehead. Anyway, I used the free SF Marathon gray cap I got there in 05, I think--the orange emroidery on the hat accessoried nicely with the orange golden gate bridge on the shirt. [Pshew, I usually do not match nearly so well.] Next time I learn anything at a race, I'll try and pass it along.
                              Masters 2000 miles

I love to run!

Great report and great race. Wow, you sure are speedy Shocked I just love it when people actually make positives out of mistakes. I love hearing when a plan comes together to NOT do what hurt you before. Wonderful race report and Congratulations. Big grin
                                One More Mile