Masters Running

Newbies April Fools Day (Read 370 times)

Rindaroo

Hey all - i thought it was time to start a new thread. What better day than April Fools Day!! So yesterday, i started week 4 which is 6/4 runwalk 3 times. It went great!! I am breathing much better all the time... this running program thing was such a good idea. Smile Last night was the first night i slept pretty well, was actually able to roll over on my shoulder for a bit, still have some pain so its not over yet, but i am encouraged with the progress. The sling is helping a lot. Laurie - yeah i think its a good idea to let her find her way, encouraging is one thing, pushing another... my DD - she's 7 is not doing gymnastics or dance anymore... she loves soccer & basketball & is playing those thru the Y... however she jumpropes CONSTANTLY around the house, and she is singing & dancing to Hannah Montana around the house... lol... & gymnastic moves around the house too... go figure.. oh well, i am letting her choose what to do, and it seems to be enjoying the things she does, so it all good. both my kids are a little headstrong too,,, hmmm wonder where they get that from Wink Eliz - ahhh bummer on the 5K,, sounds like a good one for next year. gotta jet! need to help DD with the school routine.
      I ran 10 miles today at 6:30 pace! Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

so did I! Big grin thanks, Linda. I'll catch up more in the morning.
        lswife

I'm impressed by both of you, Laurie and dg, going so fast. Way to run (and evidently without injury)! Good running, Rindaroo!
            Yup, me too, in the snow, barefoot, uphill AND into the wind the whole way. Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

Wow, eliz - you're an elite runner! Wink I ran/walked the mile fun run at noon and shaved 58 seconds off last week's time. Since it was only 41 outside in the park (but sunny), I dressed in 3 shirts (one pair of pants), brought a head covering, wore gloves, and ran/walked the mile in a red-hot 13:49! I also learned something else, maybe "race etiquette"? The two people timing this run cheered me on when I was still a quarter of mile out and kept encouraging me, and others, until we finished. Wow - suddenly I was able to run a bit faster and forget about being out of breath. Well, I finished, talked with a couple of others, and then left . . . and a few were still on the course. Oops - from now on, I'll stay and cheer anyone on who's behind me. Running through the park on a brisk but sunny day with encouraging people and not getting hurt - afterwards I felt great - this is why I enjoy running. Should have begun running a few decades ago and not waited until a year ago when I was 59! This middle-of-the-week and middle-of-the-day fun run has been mostly made up of us boomer-types, most of whom are probably retired like I am. There are a couple of fast runners, some mid-speed runners, and then the rest of us. Smile
                I also learned something else, maybe "race etiquette"? The two people timing this run cheered me on when I was still a quarter of mile out and kept encouraging me, and others, until we finished. Wow - suddenly I was able to run a bit faster and forget about being out of breath. Well, I finished, talked with a couple of others, and then left . . . and a few were still on the course. Oops - from now on, I'll stay and cheer anyone on who's behind me.
                In my first race, for which I was woefully unprepared and DNF'd, having people cheer for me really upset me. I was wallowing in my "I really suck" mentality and wasn't in the right place to receive encouragement from anyone. Since then, I've really come to appreciate having people cheer me on, although starting with that "you're almost there" stuff in mile 1 of a 5K is a bit much! LOL I make it a point to always stay until the last runner crosses the line (still sometimes to make sure they do, so I'm not last!) and cheer for them. So glad your running's going so well for you and you're having so much fun with it, Roberta! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

I am so worn out from that 10 miler yesterday. Whew. Maybe I will go do about a 1000 push ups. L's, yeah the spectators really make a difference! How long was the race and how did you feel after? Did you say you were a retired teacher? I am jealous...at least of the retired part. I'm a fraud. My last run was 4.26 and slower than sick snails. But it was a good April Fools. I did get a good workout in today. 30 minutes fast eliptical which felt good. And then other another45 mins of weights. I think all this physical therapy and weight workouts has done me a disservice. My legs are bigger now and my pants are tight.I think I need to back off on the weights and work more on the distance running. Thanks for the advice on my daughter. I guess I should be happy with her. She's a great gym partner and will work as hard as I do. I think she just doesnt like organized workouts. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

lswife

Laurie, The Wednesday "fun run" is only a mile. The three times I've shown up (1 to watch, 2 to run), there have been up to a dozen people, some running, some walking, some doing both as I do. And I felt great afterwards - still do, in fact! Yeah, I'm terribly slug-slow but faster than sitting on the couch. The club has a 5K "fun run" on Saturday mornings which I'm thinking of joining too in a few weeks. Yep, I'm a retired teacher: 30 years full-time middle school, 4 years substituting from 1st grade to 12th, and 4 years home with my children before returning to teaching. In October 2005, I realized I didn't like teaching anymore. I had to act and teach like I did, though, until May 2006. You always sound like you're a good teacher, so teach until you don't love it anymore. That's when even a good teacher needs to leave the classroom. Retirement has been a great blessing. We have had our first two grandchildren born, my husband has retired too, and often I'm still in pajamas with coffee and the Today show when I used to be teaching 2nd hour! I was also turning into a comfortable couch potato until last February '07 when my daughter (a runner like our son) convinced me to do C25K. Since then, I've run. These "blessings" I keep in mind so they'll outweigh my diabetes diagnosis last summer, the two elderly widowed mother/mother-in-laws both with issues that we deal with, and an in-law with terminal cancer. Roberta
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Linda--this thread is getting a bit long. How about a new one Wink Glad to hear that your running/walking plan is working so well. Good thoughts for keeping it that way. also for the shoulder. Roberta--sounds like a great place to stay encouraged about running. there seem to be a few running snobs around, but they are few and far between. Doesn't sound like there are any there Smile keep with it and make sure to try the 5K. It may not be "fun" for a little while, but every time will get better. one of the local running clubs has one that goes around our lake every Wednesday that I think I'll start doing once my shins are strengthened up a bit. It's my normal training route and there is a wide enough variety of people that run it each week that I hope to use it as a bit of speed work. Hi to everyone else--work is done so time to go home. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, I made it 9.1 miles this morning without stopping once. Sometimes I think I'm dreaming! I wish I had a dollar for every time that an acquaintance asks me about my running and then says, "Oh, I could never do that!" Most of the time, I'm thinking, "Yes, you could, if I can!!" It just takes a lot of patience and consistency. Only 4 more miles to get to HM distance, so I'm thinking I can do this! Kevin - Gray is the next town over from us, so we probably have about the same amount of snow. Portland is only a few miles south, though, and they've lost a lot more snow than we have. It was such a pleasure to run on the road, sidewalks, and trails today (in Portland) without having to dodge snow or ice! I think the sidewalk in our town may be clear, too - I need to check it out. Teresa
                        dg.

hi everybody. linda, I'm so glad you're making progress with your shoulder! or at least at last report. how are things now? woohoo on your running Smile. don't you love it when things actually work?? ok, here's a test (from the book). purpose is to 'get a rough idea of what the shoulder joint is doing in relation to the other load -bearing joints'. Lie on your back w/your legs (& hips) bent at right angles, on a chair or something. rest your hands on your stomach or the floor, below shoulder level, palms up. let your back settle into the floor. breathe from your diaphragm. . just do this for a few minutes. See if you have an arch in your lower back. Can you slip your hand under it? Are your shoulders rounded up & off the floor.. with your weight resting on the back of your head & your shoulder blades? There are different sets of exercises depending on what you find, I could send them to you. There's another set for shoulder problems caused by one hip being elevated. can you tell if one is? He says that regardless of what is wrong with your shoulder, if certain inbalances (indicated by the test results) aren't fixed, other fixes won't work well. (not a direct quote Wink ) Laurie, how were the pushups? Thanks for your encouragement re the group. ain't gonna happen! but thanks. I don't like the social parts. am I a curmudgeon? oh well. yay for 4.26! & good idea re DD. I think she's doing great. Eliz, how was work today? Roberta, I'm glad too that you're having fun. Hi Kevin. how are your shins? what are you doing for them? Teresa, if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get to garage without slipping on lots of ice until, I think, yesterday. or the day before. but we do have snow-free shrubbery. Smile.. you are doing so well. Please be careful. I read something the other day that made me think about you, & the # of days you're running in a row. I'll go see if I can find it. Well, I can't right now. they listed the 2 best predictors in injury. one was a prior history of injury. the other was the number of consecutive days of training you do each week. they say studies strongly suggest that reducing the # of consecutive days lowers the risk. don't know if that would work for you. it's just so nice to see someone here that isn't hurt. ;-). almost forgot. congrats for another PR!! hmm. also a warning for type A's. don't know any of those. pilates workout 2 & 2.36 walk run tm mix today. 1.8 the other day, after my 10 miler. or was it before? Big grin Jem, I hope you're ok, & just busy.
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

dg, thanks for your thoughts. I'm trying for 6 days a week now, but so far that's happened only one time! Usually it's 5 times a week. I do try to listen to my body - that's why I took off two days in a row last week. I'm also dropping back on my mileage every few weeks. Type A? Moi? Blush
                            Rindaroo

Hi all - 6/4 run/walk done - only second one of the week. I was trying to rest it around the time of the cortisone shot. Well its graduated from pain to soreness... so am still trying to baby it. Deb - thanks Smile i will have to try that test. how are you doing Kevin - thanks for the thoughts, yes this running program seems to be working well for me Smile how are you?
                                Theresa, Youre going fantastic. Learn from my mistakes. Take a few days off here and there. Thats what I didnt do and paid for it in the end. Linda, did the shot do you good? Hows the arm? Glad to hear you are babying it. Weird running day for me. Ran/walked with the women's club this AM. Then had a great breakfast with them. The hostess had a broken leg and couldnt run with us. I hope she's back on the road soon. She has this beautiful house up in the hills of western Mass with views, wildlife and no neighbors! So I did 3 hilly but slow miles with them. I felt like I didnt even workout so after lunch I took off on my own for a quick 3.5 miler. I headed out fast and furious. Was doing great until I hit the hills. Then the steam just left me and the feet started to hurt. Then the nausea started around mile 3. Then the diarrhea hit when I got home. I wish so much I could just do 8 comfortable miles like I did last fall. I thought I'd be advancing by now not regressing. A frustrated Laurie