Masters Running

40s On the Run - Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste (Wk of 04/06/08) (Read 499 times)

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they, too, have their story. (Desiderata-Max Erhmann, 1927) Have a good week!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Thanks Leslie for starting us off, nice quote!! 2 easy miles yesterday early, 7.3 LR this morn both enjoyable runs. We are needing about 3 good weather days to finish up pre-planting fieldwork, getting several rain and snow events with not alot of moisture but enough to slow us up. If we are caught up next weekend DW and I might do a 5k in Loveland CO. Have a super week 40's folks. Cool

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

... listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they, too, have their story. (Desiderata-Max Erhmann, 1927) Thanks for listening Wink. Seriously, great quote. I love the first part especially....reminds me why I like to run. Thanks for starting us off, Leslie! R2, I'm curious, have you always been a farmer, or did you come to it after trying other things? I'm always fascinated with your stories, and thinking of how the weather has such an impact on your days. Do tell sometime how it all came to be for you. This weekend was quite physical, and my body is saying "no mas". 5 mile run + 7 dog walks on Saturday. 5 dog walks + yard work + house cleaning on Sunday. It was a beautiful weekend, and simply too nice to stay inside! Think I'm gonna take another rest day from running and try to get caught up on my accounting job a little. Next race is the Komen 5K in Ft. Worth on 4/27, unless we decide to do the Hound Dog Hustle 5K on 4/19. Have a great week 40's!
        Progress Trumps Pefection
          Good Monday morning all.... Back to work this morning after I take the pooch to her 9:45 appt. She is do for everything....yearly exam, rabies shot, flea meds, distemper, kennel cough, hearworm/poop check.....$200 bucks later.....dang that coulda been a NEW pair a shoes! Had a nice long weekend....will share some photos in the next day or two. Thanks for the advice Leslie and to everyone! I really need to incorporate the leg strengthining for sure. That will be my #1 priority. I use to do alot of squats, lunges and overall body strengthining about a year back so it shouldn't be too hard to get back into it. Right now, the running just isn't doing it for me. Although I run mostly for fitness, I do have a little bit of a competitive side so.....having said that I really want to do a half so I think I'm going to sign up for one. Won't find any close by here until the Fall. I should be ready by then. If I'm not running at least 12's and 13 mile runs by then, maybe I better just take up another activity like, "bird watching" or something. Gotta go.......Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Niiiicce! Thanks Leslie! Smile Little Spring snow on the ground this am...expecting 5"-10" up @ the mtn house by afternoon... Yesterday, however, was middle 50's, clear, gentle breeze.....got in 9.45 hill miles @ 11:44 avg pc w/150 lbs of black dog! I really need to step it up...I'd like Mairead to be able to run off leash w/me by the end of June (taking her along to Lake Powell)...& one month to Colorado HM! ....taking my yoga ball & hand weights to work after getting called in on days off this week Roll eyes ..irresponsible co-workers are sooo frustrating!! Have a Great Week Everybody!!
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Morning Folks ~ Nice quote Leslie,quite relevent to our activities.Had some very nice silence in the woods yesterday morning. As far as the "dull and ignorant" ,we listen to them all the time.They go by another name, it's called the NJ State government. R2-way to go on that long run,.Hope the weather co-operates and you and DW have time to play. Carol- Way to work it out.Weekends can be alot tougher than even the workweeks.Must be fun walking those dogs.Do you have any "problems" with dog personalities and stuff like that? Jewels- Happy Anniversary! Glad to hear DH and yourself were able to enjoy it.Good going with your goals.I have found that having a race goal works well with motivating you a little more to get out there and run. As for me,I had a nice mix of working and running this weekend.Got one good coat of stain on our wooden deck rail on Saturday before the rain moved in.Alot of bending,squatting,up and down stuff.Then yesterday was a splendid trail run in the rain.Planned to do 2 loops on the 4.5 mile trail but cut it out after one.Last half of the loop is mostly downhill and my knee reminded me that it's not quite 100% yet.Only feel it on the downhills,so I'm taking it easy with it.Straight,level and soft this week and hoping to top 25 miles for the week.We sure do love our trails though Big grin See ya's later

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - thanks for the Desiderata quote; here's the full text, to remind people: http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm But, since I have a twisted sense of humor, I was immediately reminded of this spoof, a recording by National Lampoon from the 70s (ignore the slide show): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1NAwlepnSs Jewels - good luck in your HM training! Sounds like you're doing it right...slowly and carefully. Carol - lots of miles on your feet! Those dog walk miles count for something. I view yardwork as crosstraining Wink Joe - a "splendid" trail run sounds like a wonderful thing. Just a little easy running this weekend, but did get in a lot of that crosstraining business out in the yard. I have two fig trees that are putting out their first crop (figs make two crops a year, the second is the better, sweeter crop), looks like I'm going to have A LOT of figs. Jam? Maybe I can make some home-made Gu. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

I'm going to have A LOT of figs. Jam? Maybe I can make some home-made Gu. Big grin
                  Now that could make things veeeery interesting. Arla - The youtube thing was pretty funny. I can't remember where I initially found that poem (or whatever it's called). I have a couple of sites I like to rummage through now and then. This one's pretty cool: http://www.worldprayers.org/. Sounds like everyone's doing pretty darn good these days! No ailments or too many pains (knock on wood). Joe - do you ever incorporate zig zagging when going downhill? It helps alleviate some of the stress on the fronts of the legs and knees. Jewels - Hub's gotta take one of our cats in for his worm pill today, if he can catch him. That little bugger seems to know instinctively when NOT to come home. He's the only one I can't get a pill down. It ends up half dissolved, he's foaming at the mouth, I'm PO'd. Take him to the vet, and we're in and out in less than 5 minutes. It's great! Carol - Yeah, that's a lot of dog walking! And poop scooping, too, I assume?? Farmer Jim - Hope the weather cooperates and you get to to do the 5k. 5 miles this a.m. w/5 steep hill sprints at the end. Those aren't so bad. They're only for 10-15 seconds each. And I could easily climb the rest of the hill at the end. I remember when I could barely walk up the thing only a couple of years ago. Man, that feels great! Overall time: 5.18 miles in 56:13 = 10:51. Best Pace: 5:47 on the sprints. Oh, and I got another, "You're not very visible!" this morning. How is that possible?!? I'm wearing a white hat with reflective paint marks on it, a headlamp, a white shirt, and a reflective vest (http://www.runningunlimited.com/asp/product.asp?pid=972), black running pants w/reflective marks, and shoes w/reflective crap. Cripes, do I need to pin search lights to my boobs and butt?? Maybe I need a stronger headlamp. Oh well - at least people are letting me know. Although the young guy "yelling" at me this morning gave me a strong case of deja vu and still does. I think he's yelled at me in the exact same spot before. Eery. Very eery . . . .

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - please be careful! That guy might be on his normal commute, but still...and what's with the yelling thing? Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - please be careful! That guy might be on his normal commute, but still...and what's with the yelling thing? Arla
                      It's more like a cautionary yelling, if that makes sense. If this is the same guy I saw before, it was many months ago. Maybe I got the whole deja vu thing because it seems like I've had more than my share of drivers lately telling me I'm not visible. Guess it's better than getting run over. And better than that one guy yelling obscenities at me. I think I need to look into a more powerful headlamp and a blinking light that can be attached to the back of my reflector vest. If THAT doesn't work - well, people need to wake up a little bit more before hitting the road at dark a.m. An hour of PT after work last night. Got a new exercise, and HOLY CRAP! You lay on your back, extend one leg, and then lift the extended leg into 3 different positions, each one a few inches higher than the previous, holding each position for 5 seconds before moving on to the next position, then lowering it to the two lower positions, holding for 5 seconds, then resting. So you have 5 positions in all. So he showed me how to do them, then got up off the table and said, "Okay, give me 19 more, then switch legs." Shocked It's freaking hard! And this was after all the other exercises. There were other people in the room, and I think they thought I was having a heart attack at one point. Galen says to me, "Do we need to perform CPR?" Ha - very funny. When I finished, I got kudos from a couple of people who'd been in there with me the entire time and had seen all the exercises I'd done. My legs were shaking so bad, I didn't think I'd be able to drive home (I have a stick shift.) Supposedly, I'm getting another new one tomorrow. Is it helping the knee? Yes, I can tell a difference, but I've had some popping issues since my run Saturday, which always makes it hurt some. But instead of the pain being a steady 4-6, it's been around 1-2 1/2. And this a.m .- 45 minutes of cardio with The Firm gals, then a short set of push ups (no, knees NOT off the floor), and a short set of core. Oh, the other thing about those sadistic leg raises - boy howdy, do they work your core, too! Wow! Okay, this is longer than I anticipated. Later, Gators!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Doggone it! Why won't my picture on my profile change? I've downloaded the link, check the "delete picture" box and not checked the box, and the frigging thing won't change. That picture was was not taken after a trail run - obviously. Angry

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I see your Trinity Alps run pic in the photo. Is that the one your trying to delete? Or is that the one you want? Anywho....got a short run in this a.m. Yes....I actually got my butt up early. It's spring break here for all the schools and Community Colleges so around my house this week, it is quite calm in the a.m. cause there still sleepin'! So this weeks mornings are all about me! Weeeeee! Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                            I see your Trinity Alps run pic in the photo. Is that the one your trying to delete? Or is that the one you want?Jewels
                            Very interesting. When I click my own "fatozzig," it shows a pic of me and hub in Prague. Maybe I need to use a different computer to see if it "appears." Veerrry interesting, indeed! . . . and shouldn't more things about just you??? Glad this week's mornings are! As I like to say, "It's all about ME! Why can't the rest of society understand that? Me, me, it's all about me!" Big grin

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey Kids, Yes Leslie, there you are in the park looking quite Happy. Smile Thanks for sharing those exercises with us.I have been trying some of them and that one sounds good.I have also taken to heart your advice about stretching post run. It's one of the many changes that my running has gone through since rehabbing the knee. Jewels -good job getting up and out.For me it's the first step outta bed that's tough,but can be sooo worth it when it results in a nice quiet early morning run.Watch out for those spring breakers,they can be dangerous. Hi to everyone else that's around.We seem to be on roll lately Yes Longest run for me (and Buddy of course) since the knee strain. Set out to do a 7.4m if all felt good. Well all felt Very good so another 1.4 lap around the fields was thrown in.Ran home very fast and has got me feeling confident again! Spring is in the air, and it's back in my feet as well! Weeha!! Cool

flatland mountaineer

No run today, first scheduled is tommorow at class. Jonathan is gone and winter storm forecast for tommorow nite so may try and run in the morn and skip class. Spent the morning getting to the bottom of my desk as still too dampish to do any fieldwork. Lynda and I checked fields after lunch and callled the fieldwork off for the rest of the day and loaded up my dad and his old mower and drove an hour to trade it off. My dad is 88 and lives by himself, still drives, and mows his big lawn in town. The new riding mower we got him is waaay overkill. but he's gotta do some tractor driving!!! Between that and a huge garden it keeps him going. He walks a mile every day regardless of the weather and when I am about to wimp out I just call him and he tells me about his walk and how it wasn't really that bad out.I think he would kick butt in the 85-90 age group at the races!!!!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III