Masters Running

Wednesday's Chilly Daily, 1.20.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good runs/workouts yesterday by Stumpy, RCG, Aamos (glad you're taking it easy with that calf twinge), Slo, Tet (!), Dave, Mariposai (congrats on a successful BOD meeting), Steve, and Holly.

Monday was an SRD for me, and yesterday was just too dang chilly and windy for me to venture out. But today it was a balmy 19F with the wind only gusting to about 23-24 mph, and I didn't want to wuss another day, so I went out for a little walk around the neighborhood. I went 6.6 racewalking miles, and it was fine except for getting gust-buffeted now and again. Since the WC was 2, I got MMTWC, but not MMTD this morning.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Jay.

just about the same conditions for me this morning, but only half the distance.  the paths around the lake are mostly clear, but i had a few hundred yards of intermitent drifting that were fun to run through.  This was supposed to be a tempo day, and i got some help from a young woman who ended up about a 100' in front of me from a side road and was going JUST a little faster than i was, so she became a very good pace bunny for the last couple of miles.  9:06 average, but I'm betting there was a pretty good discrepancy between the upwind and down wind segments.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Plan was for 8 this morning but I think the new statin the heart guy wants me to try are not so good for running. Quit after 4 with sore muscles.  Will keep at it.

Blurry, we watched "Mercy Street" debut the other night and like you, we felt we need to give it a couple of more episodes.  We finished "Making a Murderer" last night and if anything, it just made me angrier and angrier with every episode. How can any area of the country have judges, prosecutors and cops who are so horrible.

Lucy is out of surgery and peed this morning, which means the surgeon says she comes home today.  So we get her this afternoon. She will be one spoiled doggie.  Spareribs

mrrun

Ribs - good news about Lucy

cold runs/walk for Jay and stumpy

MMTCS (common sense) and MMTWC (just about). temps mid-20's with super nasty gusts for 6 then easy 6 return for 13

marj

I have to really think about those acronyms sometimes . . .

Ribs - Good news about Lady Lucy!  Hope the statins issue works itself out.

Stumpy - Once in a blue moon (like maybe once a year), I'll have someone come out of nowhere when I'm running and they end up being a bit of a pace bunny.

Trails - It's all about leaving signs for yourself.  I have been know to drag stuff out of the bushes at pertinent cross roads or turns so I remember where I'm supposed to go. I also have a SPOT, but for some reason it hasn't tracked my last two runs.  I need to figure out why, because any time I'm going out of a regular running area, I wear that thing.

Last evening after work, it was 30 min of stat biking with a 10 min tempo workout in the middle.

This morning it was 6 miles - and it was a really great run!  Nothing incredible happened, but I felt good the whole time, legs felt spoinky and strong - just one of those runs where when you get done you're like, "Oh yeah, baby!"  I savor them as they are few and far between for me.

Today is The Hub's 55th birthday.  He doesn't know it, but I'm taking him to see "Revenant" and then out for burgers and fries.  He'll gripe about it, but I know he'll enjoy himself.  And then, because he loves to bake and cook, I got him a KitchenAid mixer, a couple of cooling racks, a couple of silicone baking mats, and a bunt pan.  I got a really good deal on Amazon for the mixer - even better than I thought, actually.  I thought it was $250, but when it arrived and I pulled out the packing slip, it was actually $200.  So I ended up getting the mixer and all the extras for what I originally thought I was paying for just the mixer.  Sweet!

Just when I was getting nervous about not having any extra transcription work in awhile, I have CDs from a couple of homicides coming my way. Yippee!!  Oddly enough, I think I'm the only person around here who does transcription on the side.  Don't know why, but I'm very grateful to not have any competition.  Otherwise, I'd have to start looking for work out of the area.  I thought about doing that one time, when  I had fleeting thoughts about being self-employed, but then sanity kicked back in . . . .

Okay that was long winded and I gotta get to work.  Enjoy, friends ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

i had a few hundred yards of intermitent drifting 

Somehow when I first read this I saw "a few hundred years of internet dating"....

Yay for Lucy!!

Leslie - Happy Birthday to your DH!  Sounds like you really treated him well for his b-day.

We had a snowstorm this morning that was more than had been forecast, not a huge amount of snow but the timing of the worst of it was during the drive to work for most people.  Schools were closed and it took me an hour and 20 minutes to get to work instead of the usual 40 minutes,  If I had not had clients scheduled, I would have worked remotely from home.

Intervals on the TM for me today:

1 mile WU

(5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 8:20)  x  4

(6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 7.2 mph)

1 minute walk

(2 min. @ 8:20/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  5

plus CD makes 6 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday to Shorty! Nice gifts Leslie - you are spoiling that boy rotten! but he deserves it.

speaking of spoiling - I'm glad Lucy is coming home today Ribs.  

More rain and lotsa flooding in the area will have me headed to the gym after work for some treadmill punishment.

Tammy

Starr, it's fantastic you got to meet your newest grandson last week end.  Fatozzig,  happy birthday to your husband.  Nice long run for wild and good job on the speedwork for deez and Holly.

This morning, it was in the mid teens and it was almost calm.  I finally got over my wimpiness and got out for a run.  6 miles at an 11:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Wow, Tom and Lucy and Jay were brave, Holly and Tammy dedicated and determined, marj and Kevin toeing the line Leslie!  Wow, how great a birthday planner are you! 

Image result for running happy

Just 5 for me this am, and no Speedsters last night.  We'll see how long I can be this prudent.

DH is happy as I made burritos last night instead of running with extras for his lunch.  He thinks they were chicken but they weren't.

4 months to Green Bay!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

moebo

I agree, Leslie knows how to do a birthday! I hope the hub is enjoying it...

Glad Lucy is coming home. Ribs, I hope you can figure out the meds.

A little off my plan this week. Monday's snow more or less forced a rest day (though I did try a bit of snowshoeing for the first time--looking forward to more!) and yesterday I was a wind wimp so ended up with 5.2 but on the treadmill. This morning it was 20 degrees and not quite as windy, so I got out for a very satisfying 5.1 (9:25 pace).

Gotta get back to correcting--good night!

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy birthday, Shorty!  Hope he likes your surprise.

No run  today, just work and errands.  I guess I could say I'm tapering for Saturday's Fat Ass run...   called the Frozen Dead Guy 50k!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

He thinks they were chicken but they weren't.  

Has he ever flown Southwest Airlines.

When DD was about 10-yo, we were headed for a grandparents visit to San Diego when they served some sort of indistinguishable cutlet,  . . pork, chicken, even fish, who knew?     DD, who's super-over enamored about the flight anyway says, "this is delicious but it doesn't have any taste."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly, sorry about the snowstorm and icky commute. It takes me 5 minutes to get from my house to my desk, or 6 if I get behind someone going the speed limit. Did I ever tell you that the man sitting next to me on our flight to Alaska was from Dayton? He spilled water all over me too. We actually ran into him later on during the week too, good thing I wasn't driving the RV just then.

Happy birthday to The Hub, enjoy the movie. I usually just MrStarr a card or something. I never run too far from home so don't have to worry about not being found, but I suppose I could fall in the dark and lay there for a while, I have wondered if I could crawl to the nearest house. You sure went all out for him. Ribs, glad that Lucy is home. I'd rather give medicine to a dog than ear drops to a cat .   Aamos, you are being smart with the twingy calf, good girl.  Nice long run for Marj, what are you training for now?

I wasn't chilly here today, actually it was 40° warmer than on Sunday morning! Chili was on the menu for lunch though. I did get 6 miles on the bike at the Y. The Healthy Heart Challenge is in its 2nd week now.  29 miles a week is my goal to stay on track (swim, bike, run). It does feel like cheating when I use the bike miles, but then the running miles are just a bonus. Tomorrow is the group personal training after work, then will run from there if it's not too windy, I hate the wind too and we have more than our fair share of it.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

No run  today, just work and errands.  I guess I could say I'm tapering for Saturday's Fat Ass run...   called the Frozen Dead Guy 50k!

This sounds like a race for Dave!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Ohhh wiseone, glad to hear that Lucy is Ok.

Holly, good job with the speed workout.

6 slow miles for me again tonight. After working hours and hours at the office I just can't put myself on the TM to run faster. We have another snow storm coming our way tonight.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard