Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 4.18.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s magnificent workouts:

Dave (3 miles, not feeling all that well)

Tramps (EZ 6 morning miles)

Pfriese (8.1 humid, cool morning miles around town)

Henrun (4.5 traditional miles to the Boston finish line)

Catwhoorg (6 miles)

RunnerKSA (2.6 pre-work miles, then 2.5 post-work miles)

C-R (5 miles)

Holly (900 pool yards, not feeling well)

Mike (11 miles, including a block with a kid with autism, then a strength workout, and heel held up OK)

CMDan (4 post-rain evening miles with some spadework)

Steve (2 mile hike, with more coughing)

I hope the eye is better, Dave.

Lots of Boston Marathon watching and tracking yesterday. Congrats to Orangeman, Robin, and Tim! I hope they all can rest up today and relish their accomplishments.

Tramps, that is the boss you have to be most careful around!

I hope you kill that cough soon, Steve.

I had a great day at the start of Boston yesterday. I got up early and was out the door at 4. I got to Hopkinson at about 5:30, and easily found a place to park in town (instead of having to go out to the State Park and take a shuttle bus back). I checked in, got my credentials and jacket, helped set up our group’s check-in station for a while, and then went to walk around. It was mild, even that early, and there was a good breeze from the west (which would be a tailwind for the racers). I walked up to the Athlete’s Village, but it was a little early, so none of our racers were there yet. On the way back, I found a race announcer I know from NH who was working at the race, and also doing some local broadcasting for a NH radio station, and he asked me to stick around for an on-air interview. Then I saw Deeze, and that was a treat! She is such an amazing woman with infectious enthusiasm, even with the injury she is dealing with. I had to break off my chat with her to go do that interview, but then I saw her again a little later near the start line, where we had a chance to talk some more as the early starters were lining up. I worked helping loading racers into the corrals, which means checking bibs for wave color and coral number to help make sure that each of the 30K racers is in the right place at the right time for the start: 4 waves, 8 corrals each, which meant about 1,000 racers per corral for each wave. I never saw Robin, but I saw Esther - she and I glanced at each other as she went by in a pack, thinking but not sure we saw someone we knew. but then she looked back and I waved, and we knew… The breeze persisted somewhat, but the temps climbed, and the cloud cover was short-lived at the start. We all knew it was going to be a warm/challenging day for the racers, but there was still incredible excitement and enthusiasm, and it was great to be chatting with racers from all over the world (a lot running Boston for the first time), and then high-fiving them as they started their journey to Boston. I was on my feet and constantly moving from 5:30 till we finished at about 12:00, and it was non-stop action. I checked my phone afterward, and saw that I covered 4.5 miles for the morning. It was exhausting, and I’ll back again next year.

I slept in this morning 'cause I was exhausted from yesterday's fun.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

What a great day, Jay! Thanks for the report.

3.3 to start the day.  Holy humidity!   2 miles to end the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

What an interesting perspective, Jay.  Thanks for sharing.

I've done Boston twice and I always say, "That's enough.  It's too big, too crowded, too expensive a weekend, too complicated a start..."  And then I watch one, get caught up in the buzz, and think, "Well, someday, maybe just one more." 

I popped some BAA numbers into a spreadsheet and came up with this food for thought.

2017 Boston Marathon finishers by age group and

% of each age group who are women:

Age                  #Finishers     % Women

18-39               10620              55%

40-44               3842                48.3%

45-49               4416                42.2%

50-54               3168                38.6%

55-59               2235                31.2%

60-64               1387                24.8%

65-69               538                  20.8%

70-74               161                  14.3%

75-79               37                    24.3%

80+                  7                      14.3%

We'd need to look at data over time to be more confident, but I strongly suspect this reflects the increased participation of younger women in running (and other sports), rather than the declining participation of older women.  A nice trend.  I also suspect participation numbers for both women and men in the older AG's will increase in the coming years.

8.7 miles on my hilly route.

P.S. Apparently my hockey rooting preferences are the kiss of death.  Tough OT night last night for both Caps and Bruins.  And the apparent Chicago implosion is stunning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I hit the gym this morning for ARC & weights.  Now i am trying to force myself to do a few sets of a core workout with back stretches.  Why is it so hard to do something that is good for me and only takes about 5-6 minutes (each set)?

My eye feels better but looks like crap. Ugly puffy bag under it.

Pest people came yesterday and treated for termites. I hope they got them all.

Interesting stats Tramps. The local 5k's I like to run seem to have a majority of women in them but I never paid attention to the age distribution.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So that means there was 1 woman 80+ that finished.    nothing like being in a VERY exclusive club.

3.1 drag me out to the road miles with a time that reflected the attitude.  Enjoyed the 30° dip in temperture from Sunday's run, but guess that was about it.

Glad you had a fun day, Jay.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like a blast!

Dave - I missed it - what happened to your eye?

Tramps - I'm not sure how to interpret that data....

Stumpy - you and I have a different interpretation of IRC.

5 miles for me today on the TM.

For those who missed on FB, here is the today's Rosie picture.

Image may contain: cat

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Dave - I missed it - what happened to your eye?

Self diagnosis as a blocked tear duct.  Got sore and puffy on Saturday. Sunday was the worst.  Seems to be getting better now.

Jay - Sounds like an action-packed day!  You deserved the rest this morning.

Dave - Did the exterminator check your eye for termites?   Hope it feels better soon.

Mike - I was  reading about your run with the autistic boy.  That's why you weren't able to run earlier - you needed to be able to run with him.

Holly - Rosie is a cutie!

About 40 min of core/ST last night.  No issues with the bursa 'til I squatted for a minute this a.m. doing something, but then not significant.  But now that the bursa is calming down, the barking of my hammies are no longer overwhelmed.  I need to get in to my PT and start working on those again.

My running buddy has had to pull the plug on her 50k this weekend (we were both supposed to run it) due to PF.  She's very bummed.  I know how she feels. We'll do some sympathy talking tonight.

Okay - I gotta get myself working here.  It's stunning outside, so it'll be hard.  And I dressed WAY too warm.  Oh well!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Lots of Boston Marathon watching and tracking yesterday. Congrats to Orangeman, Robin, and Tim! I hope they all can rest up today and relish their accomplishments.

I'm pretty sure that Trump didn't run the marathon. 

Congrats to our RA'ers that ran!

I'll get out and run today for sure. I have a 30K on Saturday so the plan is just a 4-5 mile today and Thursday. 
                    Saturday, DH and DS are leaving for Portland. They have tickets to the Blazers/Warriors game.  So when I get home from my race, it'll actually be kind of nice to have the house to myself for awhile. well, me and 3 dogs that is. 

Tammy

pfriese

Another cool but humid morning with some dense fog along the river trail made for a very nice 10.5 mile run.

Paul

Got caught up with Boston yesterday and forgot to post my run. Of course, I was pulling for our local elite women, but Desi could only manage 4th and was only the 2nd American woman at that! Jordan Hasay is on the cover of this month's Runners World and will be someone to watch over the next few years -- an awesome marathon debut. Also, our Dot McMahan just turned 40 and easily took the Masters crown by coming in something like 14th overall.

One drawback I can see for people competing at that level is that Desi said that she has never won a marathon. Of course, this is because she has always competed only in elite international marathons. If she ever ran Detroit or any number of other races like that I'm sure she would have easily won a few. Maybe in few years when she steps down a notch or two...

Anyway, I did have a good 8-mile run of my own yesterday on my usual summer route up and back on the Paint Creek Trail. For the first time, I also missed my longtime running partner. A few months ago she broke up with her long-time boyfriend and moved to Arizona. I didn't even know about it until after she'd gone and have only exchanged a few texts and emails with her. So now I'm back to running mostly solo on weekdays.

Today was the first day for our weekly bike ride out of the senior center, although with the cold temperature it was only the hard-core riders who showed up. Fortunately, we were all still shaking off the winter's rust and took it fairly easy on our ride out for coffee and a donut, holding it to 23 miles for me. It will be nice to have a regularly scheduled activity back on my calendar for the next 6 months.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 sweaty humid and slow miles for me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

neat personal and analytical Boston perspective from jay and tramps.

for those who were speaking of pf, it's reported Galen Rupp had to have two cortisone shots for pf experienced during a half marathon two weeks ago.  I guess it worked.

Same as two other veteran septuagenarian marathonettes I used to be able to keep up with 20-30 years ago who are still running 4-5 hour marathons, 70-yo Kathrine Switzer's 4:44 was only about twenty minutes slower than as a 20-year old in 1967.  In the meantime, Ben Beach's 5:01 was almost two hours slower than in 1967, about the same as I've lost in only 40-years since 1977. As for me, I'm still recovering from an Easter Day in the garden that has me as tired, if not more, than marathons used to.

ps tammy - glad you're doin' the 30K

Take your time, . . lost of time

and enjoy it for the next one.

pps mikeE - very impressive.

that last elite I was able to keep

track of was Catherine Ndereba.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I'm pretty sure that Trump didn't run the marathon. 

Re: the Orangeman comment, I was thinking the same thing! 

Sounds like a full day, Jay. You and Deeze sure get to see a part of the race that the runners don't see.

Dave, have you tried hot compress on your eye (closed) to help relieve that if it is a blocked tear duct. Those can be painful, hope it's better soon.

Interesting, Tramps, and yes I see it that a lot more women are showing interest in longer distance events. I think you'll see increasing percentages of women finishers in marathons across the country. And yeah, would be fun to be that one 80+ woman finishing Boston! How cool to be 1/1 for your AG!

Holly, that Rosie pup is a cutie. I like how she lies on her belly in full-splootch (spread out with legs out behind her). What does Dexter think of her? He looks so big next to her!

Leslie, sorry to hear about your running partner's problem with PF. Having "been there, done that" I fully understand the frustration.

Rest day yesterday, which was probably a very good call. I got up yesterday and everything felt creaky and sore. Got to bed earlier than usual and felt so much better this morning. Good thing too, since it was bio-screening day and no breakfast or coffee  until afterwards, but at least I was in and out early. Today is another clear, sunny, chilly day but not as windy as it's been. But tomorrow we have a high wind advisory all day so maybe it'll be a treadmill run tomorrow. I just can't stand running in the wind.

Marathon Maniac #957

As for me, I'm still recovering from an Easter Day in the garden that has me as tired, if not more, than marathons used to.

Leslie - I have been following your painful journey and just feel for you.  I hope everything you are doing gets it done and healed soon.  I know how frustrating it must be.

Erika - Dexter is a gentle soul, and puts up with her antics pretty patiently.  Rosie will run at Dexter and bark and bark, trying to get him to play with her.  Sometimes he will play, other times he just stands there and looks at me like, "Really?" and I swear he is rolling his eyes.  If she becomes too annoying, he will snap at her, but it's just a scolding, nothing serious.  Mostly when she is getting feisty he just gets up on the sofa, where she cannot climb, and ignores her.  When I go to work I leave her in a play yard in the center of the kitchen, with a pillow and food and water and toys.  Dexter is gated into the kitchen with her, but not in the play yard, so they are near but he has his peace.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."