Masters Running

October 1st runs and other stuff (Read 570 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Gee, I haven't started one of these in a while...

7 easy miles in the 40 degree darkness.  Marathon in two days.  Had two different cars come within inches of me as I ran in the breakdown lane this morning.  I had both the reflective vest and the headlamp on.  It seems that drivers pay less attention on Thursday morning than any other time.  Must be a sleep deprivation thing.  Couldn't tell if they were on their cell phones or not.  Yikes.

Good runs to all.

Slo

Looks like we have a tie Folks !

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good luck PBJ and the PBJsters!

How is The Long Suffering Mrs PBJ?  Tell her I said, "Hey".

And, yes, Larry, my sister is the St Pauli girl, as noted in yesterday's thread.  

Thanks for the little known fact about Octoberfest, Perchy!

I bailed on today's 8 miler.  The 10 and 8 were supposed to be separated by a XT day but, we were going to try to smoosh them all together due to Tuesday's unfortunate diversion.

I just thought that'd be too much mileage at this juncture.

Happy Thursday!

Stay visible.

And if you're driving, stay alert!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

7 easy miles in the 40 degree darkness.  Marathon in two days.  Had two different cars come within inches of me as I ran in the breakdown lane this morning.  I had both the reflective vest and the headlamp on.  It seems that drivers pay less attention on Thursday morning than any other time.  Must be a sleep deprivation thing.  Couldn't tell if they were on their cell phones or not.  Yikes.

Good runs to all.

PBJ

That's scarry.

Was it pitch black or was there some lighting ?

I ask becuase of something I've read a long time ago. That a cyclist or runner wearing reflective tape or a light in pitch blackness is in almost as much danger as if they wore nothing.

Reasoning......The single reflective light, or the light beam from a light source causes the driver to fixate on it which in turn causes him to drift in that direction until they figure out what this bouncing light source is. A Human !

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I was wondering about this, too.  When I am running on a no-light street and  wearing my reflective vest and clip-on light, often times it seems that a driver is aiming for me until I start gesticulating wildly.  It is my way of breaking the trance.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

If a runner, running in the dark with a reflective vest and nobody saw him, did he really run?

I guess weight training on the lower body is like running hard because today the legs were totally dead weights. Just ran easy for 10 miles in 1:37:38 (9:46 pace, AHR 140) Knee tight.  IRC 53° too.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Hmmm, dual universes......WonderTwin Powers, Activate!

Blazincajun – welcome!  I remember you from before.

{{{Wildchild}}}

Mariposai – I have sorely missed srlopez as well.  Do you know - why did he leave us?

PDR – perfection in marathon weather – I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Francesca – very kewl that you will be in Boston!  Not that I’m surprised....

Fatozzig – I agree with you about litigation – not the type of paralegal I’d like to work as.

39° this morning, so I wore long pants and gloves for the first time since early spring.  I firmly believe that I run slower in long pants.  I don’t know why, but somehow once the temperature drops below 40° it always seems that, for the same perceived effort, my paces are slower.  Thigh friction slowing me down?    But no, even in long pants my thighs don’t actually rub together.  Could it be that I’m not able to process the oxygen in colder air as easily?  Anyone else notice this?

The FIRST plan called for 5 miles @ 7:59, but I just didn’t have it today (darn long pants).

10 miles, including 5 tempo miles @ 8:12 in the middle.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

I T B S.  Yeah.  Got it almost on the exact date a few years back.  It's rearing its head again -- on th'other leg!  CRAP.

It's not the ramp up of mileage as I'm only 6 ahead of last month.  I did go longer than ever before on Sunday, but thankfully it was warm.  And I didn't feel anything then or Monday.  I really think this has something to do with the weather gettng unseasonably cold very fast.  That's what happened the year I got it.   Hmmmm.

Anyway, I have a mild case now -- did get 10 min of slideboarding in...and iced. Foam rollered last night. I have a whole aresenal at my disposal now that I didn't back then.  Also, I'm heating up my office with full sun and closed sliding door so that I can run on the treadmill in there this afternoon.  I'm planning to go 1 mi x 4 with rests or walks instead of banging out 4.  Obviously will stop if I get the stabber pain.  

PBJ, be careful out there!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

5 miles this morning and the frost was on the pumpkin!!   32 degrees!   Dug out my headband, light gloves and wind jacet - but held fast with my carpris.   I was just right!   9:49 pace - woohoo!!

DH left last night for a deer hunting trip, taking my truck to pull the trailer.   This morning as I was ready to leave, I could NOT find any keys to his car.   2 hours later, after getting him out of the tree he was home with his set.   Lesson learned ......     Good thing I had a really good run this morning. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ: What exactly is the "breakdown lane". Apparently that's terminology that we don't use in these parts. Do you mean a paved shoulder?

Holly: I've made this exact comment myself. In the spring, I feel like I instantly pick up 30 sec/mile of pace as soon as I put my shorts on. Like you, I'm not sure if this is real or not, and if it is, what the reason would be. I'm wearing shorts on Sunday for my HM regardless of the temperature!

I've noticed in general that the traffic on this forum has been tapering off for a while. Not as many posters and definitely nobody new recently that I can recall. The daily thread on KR now gets twice the posts as here.

Did an easy 4-mile run today before taking the next two days off in prep for Sunday's HM. We had our first frost/freeze last night (low 30s), so that should take care of the mosquitoes and let us run and hike in the woods in comfort again.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

#artbydmcbride

Mariposai – I have sorely missed srlopez as well.  Do you know - why did he leave us?

There may be a clue in this thread

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/d2a5b59f405d468f9385dccd9ba2855d#focus

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

There may be a clue in this thread

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/d2a5b59f405d468f9385dccd9ba2855d#focus

You can see that I was bragging about you guys!!  

Head Procrastinator

I just have to jump in here and reply about the breakdown lane. Now I know PBJ is not in MA but..... in MA they have this breakdown lane thingie which is what we would call a shoulder. It's for pulling over for repairs, getting a ticket, answering a cell phone or looking at a map etc. But......in the commonwealth they actually DRIVE in it and it's perfectly legal. Imagine all of a sudden the innocent person from another state,( home to that fantastic baseball team who will remain nameless) seeing cars on their right when all along they thought that was a shoulder!

You may return now to your regularly scheduled run reporting.

<waving at PBJ and wishing good racing and say hi to the family>

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                              Slo

5 miles this morning and the frost was on the pumpkin!!   32 degrees!   Dug out my headband, light gloves and wind jacet - but held fast with my carpris.   I was just right!   9:49 pace - woohoo!!

DH left last night for a deer hunting trip, taking my truck to pull the trailer.   This morning as I was ready to leave, I could NOT find any keys to his car.   2 hours later, after getting him out of the tree he was home with his set.   Lesson learned ......     Good thing I had a really good run this morning. 

Thanks for a great laugh Mary !