Masters Running

Fri Apr 4 Runs and Workouts (Read 622 times)

Good morning, everyone. Coach made me pay penance for running so hard yesterday. I had to do a recovery run. There is no residual soreness or tiredness though, so I guess I'm good to go. 3 miles, about 9:20/mi, AHR 134
    As for Boston, I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Brookline... it seems sorta out of the way from where I think others are staying. Not sure what to do till the race... or where to go for dinner Sunday night? Ideas?
    evanflein - you might want to try contacting www.GoldenAdventures.com to see if you can still get in on the dinner. We booked it as part of a package, but they may be able to book a la carte. I noticed that a few boomers are eating there, based on some of the mailings. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Deez4boyz – ouch! Sounds like what Dg has been going through. Hope your pain goes away quickly. Maggiano’s sounds great on Sunday night before the marathon, but will there be available tables? That’s where Golden Adventures Travel is offering their pre-race dinner. WRFB - I used Golden Adventures but didn’t sign up for the dinner because of the price – I admit that I’ve never paid $49 for a meal in my life….Any other Boston Boomers open for dinner plans on Sunday night? I hope we can find a place that has room. Erika? - Deez said she has a car, maybe she can pick you up? But I’m NOT getting smashed with you on the night before the race. Let’s save that for AFTER the race…Smile JJJessee – you are truly swoonalicious…..and I LOVE the hooded cloak – your DW is incredibly talented. No run for me today – light x-training instead: dumbbell presses, lying hammer curls, flies, reverse flies, bent rows, and ab/core work. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice pennance Beer. Mine was yesterday. Wink Today I ran 10.15 predawn GA miles at 9:16 min/mile pace. Avg. HR 139 was okay. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

WRFB.. I can just hear the coach now... nice Magical Healing Miles! Same for me 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory at 9:38 pace AHR 143. When I ran Myrtle Beach last year, I remember feeling more fatigued at mile 17 than I had several weeks earlier during a 17mile MP run. Looking back at my log, all those Tempo runs and speed work duing the last three weeks were done FASTER than target paces. I think that did not allow full recovery. This time I'm sticking to plan.. promise! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Thursday's run - I met up with some friends in Portland to do a benefit run for Emily LeVan's daughter, Maddie, who is battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Emily is the owner of the fastest marathon ever run by a Maine woman and is a qualifier for the 2008 Olympic Marathon trials. You can read more about LeVan's fund-raising drive at http//twotrials.org We did a nice 5.55 miles of warm up prior to meeting everyone for the benefit run - 48:10 - 8:42 pace nice and comfortable run. We met up with everyone for the benefit run and all four of the Maine women who are running in the Olympic Trials in Boston were there. They are Joan Benoit-Samuelson, Emily LeVan, Sherri Piers and Kristen Barry. Sherri and Kristen both qualified last year at Philadelphia after running the whole race together and finishing with identical times! We have a nice group of "Maine Rowdies" that will be there to support the Miane contingent - what are the chances we'll ever get to see four Maine women or men for that matter run in the same Olympic Trials again? This is a can't miss event! Smile After making our donations and chatting with others and listening to a little pre-run chatter we were off on a nice fun run around Back Bay in Portland. I ended up running an easy 1st mile and then running the final 3.11 at marathon pace or better. My splits were - 9:02 - 7:36 - 7:31 - 7:13 - 51. I felt good and strong and really enjoyed the run. After the run we got to sit or stand around the Maine Running Companies store to listen to the Olympic qualifiers talk about their upcoming run in Boston and hear about their training etc. It made for a very enjoyable evening. Edited to add that Joan had to leave early so she didn't get to share anything last night, but we were reminded of her comments a few months ago that she has "never dropped out of a race" and "never finished a marathon over 3:00 hours". I know that all the fans at the trials will give her the credit she so richly deserves as she runs what will in all likelyhood be her last "Olympic Trials"
              Ha Boston is in the air. Hello my friends. 13K this morning 20 minutes EZ, 20 minutes at MP and then 20 EZ well kind of. Second one hour run since Around the Bay 30K on Sunday and the body is tired but not sore. The marathon plan is now in full swing with just 7 weeks to go to National Capital Marathon in Ottawa. All in life is good Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tall, nice to see you.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Good Morning, Back in Massachusetts where the rain is mixed with snow, the kiddo was throwing up all night and Mr. CNYrunner has a raging cold. Oh and Boogie the beagle was clearly up to beagle badness--- limping around today. After bathing in Purell, I went for a soggy 8-mile fartlek/dynamic run at 6 AM. 1 x 10 (60), 4 x 3 (20), 5 x 3 (15), 2 x 8 (60), 2 x 4 (30). The first number is the number of reps, the second number are the minutes between each rep and the number in parentheses is the number of seconds at all out pace. The rest intervals are run at a pretty zippy pace making it a “dynamic” run and not a traditional fartlek. The whole hilly deal in 1:02:56, 33F, rainy, sleety, spitting weather. I felt good despite the sloshing and my legs don’t sting quite as much while walking up stairs. Taper is starting to work. Thanks for the suggestion about Once a Runner Skip. It’s very pricey, so I posted on the local running club board to see if anyone has a copy for loan. I’ll re-read Kathrine Switzer’s Marathon Woman in the meantime. She signed it for me with an awesome message that I re-read all the time. Twocat!! NO! I am hoping that a few more rest days will do the trick. Tammy, you too….dg, I hope the exercise and stretching regimen (can’t even pronounce it) will bring you back to where you want to be. BTB, keep at the recovery…you are far more dedicated than I would be. Deez4boys----ouch! I hope the pain has subsided today Biketm---so glad that the legs are coming back. JJJessee---the quilt/robe is beautiful. Congratulations too---you know how to do it up with style. Stumpy77---too funny about how you and your wife hooked up. I get your handle now---ESF/Syracuse! I lived on Berkeley Dr. as a kid and walked my dog through Oakwood and onto the ESF quad. Great school. Hope the memories from there are good ones. Thanks SteveP! Good luck to you. What a fabulous evening indeed mainerunnah. I am SO envious! (nice running too). Emily Levan is amazing and I hope her Maddie moves into remission and recovery soon. Joan Benoit Samuelson hangs the moon for me. I was lucky enough to be in LA and witness her Olympic triumph in person----I cried and cried. Time to get into my Hazmat outfit and rustle up the ginger ale, toast and tissues. CNYrunner

GreenMan

Good to see ya, Tall running later jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

YEAH - Tall is back!! Rest day for me. Probably a good thing as I got into some wine last night . . . a friend of my husband's brought over a bottle of German Reisling. nuff said Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

What's all this I hear about some sort of road race in New England later this month? Tongue Just puttering along my bread-and-butter route: 5.3 miles @ 8:39. My plan is to east into more mileage next week, then add quality work after that. For now I'm just enjoying the scenery. I need to set up both a new computer and a new satellite Internet remote this morning. If you never hear from me again, you'll know why. Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77 I would personally use the "eat only soft foods" as an excuse to go on a milkshake diet! Smile seemomgo The Breast Cancer Fund is a good cause, congratulations on raising the money for it. fjordrunner with 56° degree temps running is at about its best! Snow or no snow in the yard. SteveP I cannot even begin to imagine what the firms hope to learn from brief pencil and paper quizzes. Geez! A round three interview!? They should really get their act together. You can hire people without getting their life's story. deez4boyz here is hoping the pain is just some minor muscle pull that will work itself out in a day or two. evanflein running in shorts! Might have to retire your WWED acronym till winter returns in your part of world in about four weeks. Wink Also, you might need to book an Italian restaurant somewhat away from the hotel areas. My DW tried to get a reservation a couple of weeks ago and the only thing they had was at like 9:30. A few miles away, however, and we were able to get whatever time we wanted. Check out Zagats for suggestions. In my view it offers the best restaurant reviews anywhere. General note to all Boston runners I hope to see some of you pre-race in the running waiting area before we are herded off to the corrals. Any suggestions on how to find each other? mainerunnah sounds like a very memorable event. I would love to hear some Olympic hopefuls some day talk about their experiences. Tallrunner welcome back! CNYrunner good intervals. btb1490 like everybody else I am still rooting for you to get to the Boston starting line. BTW, I have seen your times. If you decide to "walk the damn thing" maybe you can come way to to coral 9 where I am and pace me to a PR. LOL your "walk" is likely most people's dreamed of time! Big grin munchkn883 I am not an oncologist but I know enough about statistics to know that if you keep repeating the same test over and over you will get different readings each time. The fact that there appears to be little or no trend in your numbers is undoubtedly a good sign. As for me -- another day on the DL. Sad But, the calf is healing quickly. I expect to be running again on Sunday or Monday at the latest. Thanks for the well wishes. btb as to what I am doing, I guess my story of the runner with the broken leg was not all that memorable! Evil grin I have been stretching the calf twice a day, icing it three times a day, and taking ibuprofen three times a day. The standard cure for any injury a runner might ever be inflicted with! More seriously, I use the web page The Injured Runner for most of my running injury recovery advice. It has been very good to me. Good runs all. I look forward to joining your mileage posts in a few days.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Tall. glad to see the layoff from here hasn't meant a layoff from running Wink 8MPH is a pretty nice (sort of) easy run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning, all! Lou - nice penance run kickoff - thanks! Mainerunnah - what a wonderful opportunity! Thanks for sharing! Tall - good to see your post this morning - we missed you! {{{{CNY}}}}} Take care of yourself lest you join the rest of the family in sickness. btb and Twocat - I'll post my chili recipe on another thread so I don't clutter the daily thread - thanks for asking! Work has been getting in the way of my posting and reading on the daily threads. Hope things settle down in the near future. 6.25 miles on the treadmill this morning. Circuit training scheduled for the noon hour. Pizza scheduled for tonight ;-). Good runs and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

nice to see the boys are behaving. Holly, any house news? Deez4boys, I wasn't going to mention this because I've talked about it so much, but since Holly already did, it does sound sooooo familiar! Be very very careful! after my first 7+ mile run, I was so happy I was talking to a complete stranger about it (anybody ever do that? please say yes) and part way through I looked right at her & said "my butt hurts!!". What I wanted to tell you was that I thought I was being careful for the next few days, but not careful enough. s/i joint, piriformis, & hamstrings were involved.. because of hill repeats a few days later, the hammies were what gave out. the good thing is that things that should have been addressed anyway, I've had to do, but it's been 6 months. did I mention that you should be careful? Perch .. " This time I'm sticking to plan.. promise!" Yes hi Tall. nice to see you. I'm glad life is good. thanks, CNY! I hope you win the bug battle. do you have a portable force field unit? mainerunnah, I agree, what a fabulous evening. nice to have you here. Erika, I get such a kick about reading about your runs. beep beep! this morning I did the things I can't say OR spell, a yoga dvd, & some planks. side with stability ball, front without.