Masters Running

Stevie Ray's Portland Marathon Report (Read 484 times)

xor

I'm still about a week behind in posting reports, sorry. Here is my report for the Portland (OR) Marathon. Ennay (from the regular forum area) kicked ass there and BQed. I did not, but I had fun. Many other folks from the Masters forum were also there and each completed their own levels of ass kicking in the pouring rain. You are warned that this report is actually and truly "super long", especially if you follow the link back to last year's report to get my history with this race. People like to tag their reports "super long". Believe me, those are executive summaries compared to this. So, go grab a brew ("don't cost nothing") or a hot cococa and settle in. As always, links to a ton of other race reports can be found in my schedules there.

Top 'O the World!

Ya know you run marathons faster than you write!
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Not sure if you saw this comment I posted in Ennay's report...but when I saw your bib (I was calling out people's names), I guffawed..."McLovin!" Then -- duh! -- it's Stevie Ray! You'd think the pink shirt would be a major clue... Roll eyes Anyway. You looked great! At the dreaded 20.8 mile point -- quite possibly the most dispiriting point in the course, before it finally turns & goes downhill. Attaboy! This confirms it for me, though. Portland is a tougher course and if Stevie Ray sez so, it iz so. Just a wee bit hillier than expected. And thanks to you, I now have a better idea of what Napa might be like. If I run Napa. I dunno.
          Shudder!! Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It was great meeting you there, SR. Nice race and thanks for the report.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

xor

Not sure if you saw this comment I posted in Ennay's report...but when I saw your bib (I was calling out people's names), I guffawed..."McLovin!" Then -- duh! -- it's Stevie Ray! You'd think the pink shirt would be a major clue... Roll eyes Anyway. You looked great! At the dreaded 20.8 mile point -- quite possibly the most dispiriting point in the course, before it finally turns & goes downhill. Attaboy! This confirms it for me, though. Portland is a tougher course and if Stevie Ray sez so, it iz so. Just a wee bit hillier than expected. And thanks to you, I now have a better idea of what Napa might be like. If I run Napa. I dunno.
              I saw you, even though you weren't wearing the promised cow. Actually, I don't think Portland is an overly challenging course in the big scheme of things... aside from the bridge hill, that is. I do think their elevation chart fibs about M18-M21, though. Anyway, I think Seattle's course is harder... the hills towards the end are much harder, and we usually have a weather penalty (though last year was nice) whereas Portland usually has good weather (though this year was not).

xor

Shudder!! Smile
                What are you shuddering? I love that race. WillRunForBeer: it was nice to meet you as well!

I just liked that word and where you put it in your report! I can't wait to do Portand some day.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Seattle's carpy weather, the aggressive hills late in the race, and the crowds make it tuff....still, I may make it up there again this year....Speedy Little Sister Econo wants to race. (an Econo smackdown!) Sorry 'bout the cow shirt...it was cold, so I had the jacket on. ANYway. Another Napa question. Do I recall your mentioning the best place to stay??
                      ... other folks from the Masters forum were also there and each completed their own levels of ass kicking in the pouring rain...
                      Well, some of us from the Masters forum didn't do any ass kicking, but still had fun. A couple comments... Rain? That was nothing. Just enough to cool things off a little. The only thing that bugged me was that the people who had slowed way down or were walking didn't move to the side but took the (high) dry pavement, so those of us who were running a more constant pace had to go through the wet/water spots. Hill? the hill up to the St. John's bridge is an incline, but it's not steep at all. Goes up for a little while, but not that long (nothing at all like the Barr Trail on Pike's Peak, which is maybe a bit steep in spots.) Downhill at mile 21-22 . Yes! Most of my 8 minute negative split was in that last 5 miles. Why were all those people walking or going so slowly? Lots of us Maniacs out there. Ran along with #31 and his daughter #1010 for a few miles, talked briefly to #372 and one of her friends (?#?) and a bunch of others. Great fun.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

some of us from the Masters forum didn't do any ass kicking, but still had fun. Rain? Hill? 8 minute negative split was in that last 5 miles.
                        sounds like a lot of a-kicking 970. any rr? except for Pike's and Equinox, however, St. John's Bridge ranks up there with Rose hill at Yakima and Galer/Madison/Interlaken at Seattle for us hill lovers around here. - 209 ps - if you're a rainrunner, maybe see you at Seattle too (but, sorry, no rain planned this year).Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

xor

Rain? That was nothing. Just enough to cool things off a little.
                          In comparison to Tampa 06 or Seattle 06, this is true. In comparison to 20 years of Portland Marathons, it was worth noting. Feel free to write your own race report.
                          Hill? the hill up to the St. John's bridge is an incline, but it's not steep at all.
                          It's a pretty serious hill. Feel free to write your own race report.

Roses Revenge

It's a pretty serious hill.
                            The first year I did Portland it was a serious hill. It was more serious when I got to the top of the ramp and realized I still was going uphill until the middle of the bridge. The second year I did Portland it was a hill, but not all that serious. This year it was still a hill but the second time I'd done it in three weeks and not that bad. The worst hill for me is that steep little one after the bridge when you turn right and go down about a block and then turn left and go up about a block.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Mariposai

Will you pace me next time?????????? YOu are one awesome runner and friend. It was great meeting you at Mama mia. Next time I wanna sit next to you so I can get a chance to know more about your story.........of course...you can always pace me for the twenty six point two miles and that would be better yet. Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Having seen SR on a lot of rainy out-and-backs, I'm with him on this one too. Rainfall for October 1st averages .02 inches. It has rained only once on the Portland Marathon in the last 27 years-- and that ended 10 minutes after the event started http://portlandmarathon.org/details.php rose - remember YRCM? your Portland got me by 5 minutes vs. when I walked YRCM all the way too. congratulations on 991. ps - is somebody flirting with SR? pps - is somebody jealous?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)