Masters Running

October 2019 Masters' Miles (Read 29 times)

an amazing likeness

Monthly summary for September can be found here.

Only the last lingering leaves rustle on pin oaks, the spectacular orange, yellow and red show is over and on the ground to be raked, blown, mulched or helped over to another lawn by blustery winds. For running in the northern climes, October is March in reverse as days swap between late fall sun and early winter concrete grey...one day is shorts and hat, the next takes a trip to bottom of the storage to hunt up warmer gear...signs to swap the summer gear into storage and start pulling out cold weather gear...

Time to post those hard-earned and masterly-run October miles, race results and running achievements! You ran, walked, cycled and swam 'em, let's hear about 'em.

Give your log a glance and see if you're close to a prime number while there's still time to head out for any needed little mileage bump to land on prime.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks for last month's award money!  I've always been an incredibly average runner.  This month brought reduced running mileage (90) so I'll probably be under the median.  I am grateful for every run!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Joe618

Great start and description of October, milktruck.   Well done...nice photo there. 

All of which is true and makes my lack of mileage even more painful...a mere 69 miles, my lowest month in over two years (when I had a bout with PF).   The culprit was a monster flu bug in mid month which sidelined me for most of three weeks...missing two races and much marvelous running weather, of which we dream all summer long. 

All of which is a marvelous reminder that running is something I do but not something I am.   Identity, no...enjoyable activity, yes.

November is looking up but I have to execute each day to prove it. 

Thanks!! 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Thanks milktruck.  Very poetic.  Joe- at the end of the day, it's just running!  It does become entwined with how we see ourselves, though.

173.7 miles for my highest month in ages, beating July by a deliberate 1/10.   I will probably dial it down a little for November and December.  This was a lot of running with my other obligations in life!  Nothing like back in the day, but this level is a little tiring.  I'm proud of it, though.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Solid month, Karen, congrats!!   Your consistency really adds up...nice!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Quickadder

I only managed nine runs in October but they totaled 120.9 miles. This included my first 50K though technically it was a DNF as I exceeded the time limit.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

115.6 miles for October, which included 10,779 ft of elev gain which is actually the stat I'm more proud of this time around although I'm please to have exceeded last months 101 miles also.

Tammy

coastwalker

Thanks for doing this again, Milktruck, and for another great photo, and a great description of the seasons.

144 RW miles in Oct.

3rd AG in the Great Pumpkin 10K.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

80 for October.

anneb

Wow, Tammy - over 10,000 ft of elevation?? This flatlander can't even imagine...

172 October miles for me, with a half marathon mid-month being the longest single run. I guess I should have tacked on that 1 mile yesterday to get to 173! Regardless, a pretty high mileage month for me.

Anne

evanflein

184.5 miles for October. Dang, less than 15 miles from another 200 mile month. Oh well.

Exactly 1700 year to date though (how'd that happen?) so only 300 to go to hit my goal. Should be doable.

Oh yeah, one race in October: Baltimore Marathon and took 1st in my first run in the 60-64 age group.

rmcj001

Thanks Milktruck!  And nice pic.

With all the travel for different races and fixing home computers it was a down month and will need to catch up with the pace bunny again...

144 miles for October 1648 for the year, so 352 miles to go!  My 35th Moonlight Run doing 5K this year, good for 1st 60-69 Men.  3:55:20 at Chicago Marathon and 2:00:38 pacing college roommate at Denver Rock'N Roll Half Marathon (his first).

Ray

54.1 for October

i have been  tom1961 since 2012 but I can’t get back into that account

SubDood

Thanks, milktruck!

169.7 October

2394.5 YTD

One marathon, Twin Cities. 8th time running this course on the 25th anniversary of my first marathon on the same course, and about 7 minutes slower.

Joe618

Thanks, milktruck!

169.7 October

2394.5 YTD

One marathon, Twin Cities. 8th time running this course on the 25th anniversary of my first marathon on the same course, and about 7 minutes slower.

25 years and you lost all of seven minutes over 26.2....that is fantastic!!!!

________