Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 10.21.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.1 quick TM, pre-flight miles)
    PBJ (maybe some lunchtime fizzy lifting and spinneroonie)
    Quickadder (8.4 solo miles at 9:05 avg pace, feeling great)
    Tammy (bowling day with the work peeps)
    Pfriese (9.5 morning round-town miles)
    Dave59 (ARC workout + .5 TM mile with no calf pain)
    Falconfixer (12.5 miles, including 5 pre-dawn with temps in the 40s + 7.5 including  6 X 400m intervals with colleague at lunch)
    Mike (8 solo post-work miles)

RunnerKSA - Overhead Door told me they’d call yesterday, but there was no call. At least they're consistent...

PBJ - My complaint is not that they didn’t just go ahead and put in the wrong size spring, but that they didn’t measure correctly the first time and now we apparently have to start all over again. I hope you had fun at The Pig.

Congrats on discovering your competitive nature, Quickadder.

Welcome home, someday, Twocat!

Good luck today to Quickadder’s DD (25K trail run) and Falconfixer (Ironclad Half Marathon).

I hope you’re feeling better, Surly Bill.

I slept in a little late this morning, so didn't hit the roads till 4:40. I did an EZ tour of 7 cul-de-sacs for a total of 5.6 miles in refreshing 47° temps, and under clear, well-starred skies.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay........

40-min PoolRun with letters

............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thanks for your recap - I'm sure it's not easy doing this every morning!  And really? 4:40 is "sleeping in"??! Wow. That's all I can say

The weather here this past week has been spectacular. Morning temps around 50-60 with clear blue skies and warm afternoons, yesterday getting all the way up to 70°  The colors are peaking and running on the trail has been great. I wish it would stay this way!  5 miles this morning followed with 30 minutes of weights and core.

There is only one more farmer's market after today, so I loaded up on squash, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower (which I've been roasting on the grill all summer - yum) and a couple of pumpkins for the grandsons to decorate.  I've got a tee time later this morning and plan on taking my camera so I can try to capture some of the fall color in between shots.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Dave59

12.3 this morning. It wasn't terrible. Guess I am as ready as I can be for the Marshall half marathon in 2 weeks. Could be another personal worst but at this point I am happy just to be able to complete it.

I wait for months and months for hockey to start. My team has a boatload of high draft picks, a new coach and a new GM. My expectations were high. It has been depressing to see just how bad the Sabres are this year. I can't believe I spent money for the NHL Center Ice package so I could watch this train wreck.

catwhoorg

Labrat

After a work enforced rest day yesterday.

11 with 5 or so at Half marathon pace.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well, I got up at 4:45 and, believe me, on a Saturday morning that is NOT sleeping in.  But, I had to get up and get in my last long run before my marathon, in 3 weeks, before practice started at 8:00.  16 miles in 1:54:36.  The weather forecasters were right on...they said rain at 7:00 am and, sure enough, I got rained on at 7:00.  Lightening, too, but it seemed to be up in the clouds so I wasn't too concerned.  Then I had to muster up enough energy to do the team's workout.  I almost blew it off.  They were doing more speed work and I thought, "why bother".  I had nothing left.  But, I went out and did the best I could...mostly encouraging the slower runners I was "forced" to run with.  At the end of practice, I noticed a girl standing off to the side waiting for me to finish a conversation I was having.  When I was done, she approached me and thanked me for helping her get through her workout.  I guess that's why I bother.

Good luck to everybody racing, today.  deez and PBJ--make sure you get to the start of MCM in plenty of time.  It takes an hour to get through security.  Two years ago, I heard the starting pistol go off as I was standing in that line.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - Great job with the kids.  What is your upcoming race?

I meant to go longer today, but slept poorly and ended up not getting up as early as I wanted.

12.1 miles total.

Tomorrow DD has another all-day lacrosse tournament, so I will try to get in some miles when she is between games.  The weather is supposed to be lovely, down to 54 tonight with a high of 7 tomorrow - kind of crazy for this late in October in Southern Ohio.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

What is your upcoming race?

Richmond Marathon--November 11th.

Kidney stone not so bad this time!

Recovery uneventful yesterday.

Went on a 6.5 miler mixed paved/trail about 8:45 pace. Saving it up for a long run Sunday.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Good evening everyone.  First chance to sit down at the computer today.  Had to install a new hot water heater to day, and those jobs always take 5x longer than they should.  Old one was beginning to leak, but I guess that is not surprising since it was 22 years old.  Thankfully DS was able to help me, as those heaters are heavy!

I did get in a nice 5 miler this morning before beginning the job.  8:59 pace.  Calf still feels a bit "off."

Falconfixer - RR?  I saw that you ran a half today.  Nice job.  3 other coaches from our conference were there, probably in your sights for a while.

Metalman - race decision?

Coastwalker - did you see the meteor shower?  It was supposed to be at a peak around then.

Mike E - be careful out there!  Lightning can go any which way in a flash (no pun intended)!

Have a good evening everyone.

Quickadder

Didn’t know whether I should post this in the race report thread or not as I didn’t actually race. However, DD was running the 25K at a local trail.

Having wimped out of running the Danimal 50K or 25K trail race myself, I volunteered to help instead. The 50K is 4 circuits of the trails in our local State Park and the 25K two laps. The general consensus is that the course is significantly long, though everyone gets different distances - most in the 55-62K range.

I was allocated to the support station about a third of the way around the course. It was hot and humid with a  threat of rain - not ideal conditions. First lap DD was dead last passing our water stop, yet was 3 minutes ahead of planned pace. By the second pass by my location DD had.caught and passed 3 or 4 others and looked far less stressed than most. She was now nearly 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

I later saw DD’s results and she finished 23rd of 31 in the 25K ... or was it 30K. The plan was for her to try to break 5 hours with splits of 2:20 and 2:40. Actual splits were 2:12 and 2:19 for a finish time of 4:31  - a fantastic outcome. To give an idea of how bad conditions were, DD was 29th for lap 1 and 16th fastest on lap 2.

Several of the 50K runners dropped down to the 25K or dropped out entirely, so there were only a handful left by the last lap. Pacers were now permitted and as I wasn’t really needed at the aid station any more, I offered to pace. Guy in second place overall took up my offer and I ran with him for the final 6 miles which gave me quite a workout as he was still running remarkably well considering he had already done 30 miles or so. He finished in 6:32, about an hour behind the winner but 20 minutes ahead of 3rd overall/ 1st female.

An enjoyable day.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

spacityrunner

My trail half today ended up being a trail 12.6 and it was uh...a bit tough.  If you so desire check out that elevation profile in my log...oh my.  
                          But I am SO FREAKING PROUD OF MYSELF.  I did it and I had a ball!!!  I was so afraid I was done for longer races.  No I wasn't fast...in fact I was even slower than I thought I would be (elevation profile might explain this one) but I was able to finish and I feel great (tired but great).  12.6 miles/3:48:08/18:06 m/m.  Bet I fall asleep with a smile on my face tonight.  I love playing in the woods!

Trails Rock!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

^5!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Well done, Liz!  Trail runs are the best!

Quickadder, congrats to your DD on a good race!

I got up early today, too - 5 am.  I met a group of trail sisters for a friend's birthday celebration run at a local state park. We ran about 21 miles, and then celebrated with sandwiches and cake in the picnic shelter.  It was pretty chilly today - in the high 20s at the start and it maybe got up to 40.  Most of us wore shorts - brrr!  I had my jacket and gloves on most of the day.   I guess this is my last long run before my marathon in 2 weeks. (Moab Trail Marathon)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, still learning the protocols here....so if I violate any, please let me know.  

I did run the Ironclad Half Marathon in Kinston, NC this morning.  Small, fun race.  Last year the RD made it a point to speak with every runner and get feedback.  She took a couple of my suggestions and applied them.  Very minor, only suggested making the ironclad itself more prominent.  They did on the shirt and on the medal (which is also a bottle opener).

I arrived at the race site less than 10 minutes before the start (I was just slow all morning) so no warm up.  No worries, this was a supported training run so I just made the first few miles part of the warm up.  Temps in the 50s, no wind.  There was some goofiness at the start--they start this race with a Civil War cannon being fired.....and they did today, but there was no warning so it was a bit "start-stop-start."  My first mile was in 7:39, not too bad at all.  As an aside, one of the churches in the area had their bells playing Chariots of Fire--nice touch.  There were a few musicians throughout the course.  My favorite (as a not very good violinist when I was a kid) were the two women playing violins under a church porch with maybe 1.5 miles to go.  Anyway, after the first mile I gradually sped up.  7:29 and 7:27 for the next two miles, the rest of the miles (through mile 7) were around 7:22.  The miles after that were under 7:20.  I actually made a conscious effort to monitor my breathing and for the first 10 miles I backed off whenever I noted a pattern change.  By the last 1.1, I was ok with staying in zone 4.  My Garmin had it at 1:36:53, over 7 minutes faster than last year (very windy, my first long race after my accident--if you saw the Boston Celtic player injury, I had that).  Larger and faster field this year....last year I finished 10th OA in 1:44:13; this year I was 17th OA in 1:37:00 (official time with the cannon start).  All in all, a good confidence builder as I look to Richmond in three weeks.

Opus, saw and met a few of them including your young assistant coach.  He ran great and finished 2nd OA.

Quick, congratulations to your DD!

Have a great night everyone!