Masters Running

Mondaily, 10.15.18 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

My morning meeting went very well, and now I have all kinds of stuff to do. The 650+ race shirts for my 5K (on 10.27) were sent to the wrong address, so now we have to get them to the silk screener. Our bibs were shipping late to the firm that attaches the timing strips, so I had to jump that shipment from Ground to 2nd Day Air. What's next?

Just a 2.3 mile very EZ walk in 37° temps this morning. My foot is still tender from where I did something to it in Saturday's race, so I backed way off, and didn't push it at all. I'm supposed to do another half on the 28th, and hope this resolves itself well before then.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

good morning, I didn't check in at all over the weekend but did just skim through the Sunday thread. Interesting conversation about retirement places, climate change, cost of living, etc.  I like where we live (whole lot cheaper than when we lived in Seattle) but we also have our fair share of overpriced commodities, but other things are far less like no sales tax, low property taxes (at least compared to what we had in Seattle), etc. 

I ran 8.2 miles yesterday. Pretty low mileage week of only about 15 miles last week. Not sure what this week will hold either. Lots of activities planned with my out-of-town guest arriving on Wed evening.   

I did bring my running stuff with me today so may try to get in a run after work.

Tammy

Good morning Masters!! Spin class then 4.5 miles in the rain (sorry) trying to focus on Chi running form!!

Still feeling lingering effects from last week's germs 

denise

Howdy Do Dee, Friends.  Welcome to Monday.

Human vs. Cats started around 2:00 a.m.  Then my alarm went off at 4:30.  I was gonna keep snoozing, but The Golden Menace decided it was time to eat, so that forced me out of bed.  Which then forced me to the gym for 30 min on the elliptical, followed by about 40 min of core/ST/PT at home.

Anybody know a good option for cleaning the inside of car windows?  I scrub and scrub with Windex and the "streak free" shine that's promised in the commercials never happens.

BTW - Anybody recognize that lady on the left? 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, child, outdoor and nature

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi everyone.  It was a sick weekend for me - in a couple different ways.  Coughed up a lung after the Hartford marathon.  Nearly puked.  Great time though.  Is that even possible?  I guess it was because it was my fastest marathon in 8 years.

Here's the stats:

Race Splits

Split                       Overall                  Gender                 Division                    Pace                     Time

10K                         342                         270                         18                           8:02                  49:52

of 1608                   of 945                    of 70

13.1 Mile                 289                         234                         11                           7:56                 1:43:51

of 1600                   of 941                    of 69

17 Mile                 251                         204                            9                             7:53                 2:13:46

of 1579                   of 932                    of 68

20 Mile                 211                         176                            7                             7:47                  2:35:31

of 1572                  of 928                    of 68

25.1 Mile              178                         147                            7                             7:45                  3:14:21

of 1556                 of 921                    of 69

Finish                    177                         146                            7                             7:46                 3:23:11

of 1558                 of 923                    of 69

So this was supposed to be a training run?  I guess I just can't hold myself back.

Coughed up a lung after the Hartford marathon.  Nearly puked.  Great time though. 

Yeah, nothing says good times like puking  Great race though PBJ. Hope you're feeling better. You too, Deez.

Sorry for all of the logistical problems with your race Jay. Take care of that tenderfoot. (get it - tenderfoot?)

No answers for you Leslie. No matter how hard I try, my windows are always streaky. Someone once told me to use vinegar instead of Windex.

It was raining (surprise, surprise) here this morning, and with 15-20 mph winds out of the NW I decided to go to the Y instead. An hour on the elliptical and then a 30 minute personal training session with one of the PT people from the Y. She set up stations for TRX, wall sits doing bicep curls with kettle bells, wall throws with a 20 pound medicine ball, pushups and squats, 30 seconds at each station. I think I'll be feeling the after-effects tomorrow.

DH and I went to see The Kingston Trio over the weekend. The original members have passed and they've been replaced with some of their sons, who look like they might be joining their fathers sometime soon! DH really enjoyed it, so I was happy to go since he's sat through Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, Ringo Starr and a whole bunch of other rock groups he probably wouldn't have chosen to go to. The Kingston Trio did do the songs I remembered and liked though, "MTA," "Scotch and Soda" and "Where Have All the Flowers Gone." Anyone old enough on this forum to remember these?

Have a great Monday folks.

Mariposai what marathon?

My PT session included my first set of drills with weights. All 2 pounds of them!  They are ankle weights that I purchased this weekend at my PT's instruction. Then I cleverly, forgot them at her office.  I hope they get put someplace safe until I return on Wednesday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai what marathon?

Yes, we are curious!

Leslie - Karin!  Looking fit and speedy as usual.

PBJ - Fast!  Well done!

No run for me today.  My foot felt slightly better, but I decided to give it one more day and did a light weights/core workout instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yes, we are curious!

Leslie - Karin!  Looking fit and speedy as usual.

PBJ - Fast!  Well done!

No run for me today.  My foot felt slightly better, but I decided to give it one more day and did a light weights/core workout instead.

Maybe that's why she doesn't show up around here anymore--too busy training for ultras.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

FYI - Karin finished the Vermont 100 (held July 21) in 16:42:28.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

64F

4 mostly walking miles

Our power lines have been repaired. But laptop not functioning. I dislike typing on my phone.

Will catch up later. Hope you are all well.

Must comment on your Hartford marathon,  PBJ.

🏃‍♂️👍❤

If emojis didn't work,  I said happy little running man thumbs up and heart.

So fast and strong. Hope lungs were not totally coughed out. Respect your recovery.

Your friend

RCG

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Joe618

Great race with bad lungs, PBJ!   Well done!!!

Rest day here today.

Mike, would love to see your poem for your cross-country team, if you care to share.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

This ancient coach

Runs faster than you

Naaaah.   You'll do much better.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

BTY

Roses are red

Violets are blue

This ancient coach

Runs faster than you

Nyaaaah. Nyaaaaah.

I like it!

So, I forgot just how fast you people are.  Man!!!

Saturday morning was my last workout in the pool.  I changed my intervals to 1/4 miles, and when I checked my HR, it was typically in the low 1-teens or just 120, so I skipped breaks in between.   I did get in some minor rests so I swam 1 mile (total) of Backstroke/Crawl/Backstroke/Crawl in 37:00.

This morning, I was at the gym.  I just did flat bench presses with dumbbells, flat bench flyes with dumbbells, a seated plate-loading overhead press, hip adduction, hip abduction, and internal shoulder rotation and external shoulder rotation on  a cable machine.  1 set of everything.

Also did my stretching routine, and included some V-ups at the very end.  Went to failure on all strength movements except for the shoulder rotations.  Stopped at 15 reps there.  Most everything else was in the +/-10 reps neighborhood.  Although, I did have to push the reps on Hip Adduction out to 35 (feel that burn! ugh) b/c the weight stack is pretty modest.

Tonight I'm back in the water and the plan is to duplicate Saturday morning's workout but with no rests at all, still keeping the cadence nice and easy.  1800 yards in 35:00 or less is the goal.  And if I feel good, I'll add another 1/4 mile of backstroke.

Brian

anneb

Hello, masters. So this morning I managed to roll my ankle pretty good in a big crack in the street which was camouflaged as a puddle (where a streetlight was also out... but I digress). This was about 2.7 miles into my 4.2 mile run, so didn't really have much choice but to run back home. I've been on/off it all day and it doesn't hurt horribly, but I can tell I twisted it pretty good. So, I managed to make it through a trail half marathon over the weekend with some mucky flooded sections and I tripped on one of my neighborhood streets that I run every freakin' day. 

Also, I'm headed to Austin tomorrow morning for work until Thursday morning. I always like running in new places but the weather looks horrible (for Austin)! It is actually nicer in Chicago. I'm sure I'll still run, but I'm not excited about 50 and rain AT ALL. Seriously, it may the record low for October in Austin; I was counting on hot weather!! I'm going to be busy enough with work stuff but still...boo. Here's hoping that the forecast is not nearly as wet as they're calling for!

PBJ - Congrats on your speedy marathon! Awesome time!

Anne

Oh no, Anne.  I hope your ankle recovers fast!  I hope the weather winds up not being as bad in Austin so you can at least take a spin down to Lady Bird Lake. 

20 minutes on the treadmill (including 1 mile of slow running) on this, my first day, out of the boot.  This was at the gym.  I then did 15 minutes on the Precor AMT, which might be like a zero runner or Arc trainer.   Some weights and then ran into a former co-worker and we chatted for about 20 minutes so I was late getting home! 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth