Masters Running

Thursday Daily, 1.30.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Moernin' everyone.

I'm sorry I've been MIA. It's been a heck of a week, with too many early and late meetings, and work in between. This morning, I'm on my way to Boston for an annual conference. 6.1 RW miles at 4 o'dark.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

NHLA

http://smokymountainrelay.com/overnight-relay-race-information/relay-registration/          Anybody interested in putting together a masters team for relay?

After today's 4 mile recovery run, my RA log tells me I've run 42.9 miles the last 7 days.  That's a first in over a year or more.  Yeah, I know this is no big deal, but ... Yay me.

All day long yesterday when everyone was talking about the Sherlock TV series, I was confused by the reference to it being 2 hours long.  Huh?  It turns out I was thinking of the American TV series Elementary, not the British one you all were discussing.  Never mind.  

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP

Yay Breger!

Nearly a fly by post. I'm alright, but not 100%. 1/2 a dozen windows fall on my yesterday. Just one of them things. Muscles in my neck, right shoulder, back and hip are protesting. I'm off for a week. By now, I should take into consideration that this customer is going to have different organizational skills then every other builder we deliver to. I enjoy their work ethic and sense of humor. Just, the foreman is a little screwy and I have a talking dog. I was asked to sit in on a planning meeting for an Alzheimer's walk, but I had to miss it. Gotta skip the blood drive today. Boogers

On the big big plus side, today is Noah's 6th birthday. School's called off. Mom and Dad want to have a sledding birthday party for him Feb 8th. For most of us, that's fine. To a 6 year old, not so fine. SSssoooo...Grammy and I went over before she went to work and gave the young man a gift.

When will he ever outgrow his super hero obsession???

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think steve should get Noah to help on the windows. ouch.

at least they weren't broken, . . . . were they?

so I send my grandson a picture I took of a science program I saw on tv in Japan of a stegosaurus fending off a T-rex attack with a tail spike to the neck.  As GS knows, I'm not much into dinosaurs so I was pretty proud of getting stegosaurus right, ...  until GS calls after delivery to tell me, "papo, that's not T-rex, it's allosaurus."  oh well, I least I know the difference between Kathrine Switzer and Bobbi Gibb, to say nothing of Jacqueline Gareau and the only one I've never liked over the years: rosie ruiz.   I wish there'd been famous photo of someone pushin' her off the course.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

http://smokymountainrelay.com/overnight-relay-race-information/relay-registration/          Anybody interested in putting together a masters team for relay?

I searched and searched and don't seem to find the date of the race.  Why would that not be something they would put in big, bold numbers right on the front page?  Looks like a fun race, though.

Steve - love it!

Breger - we love Elementary, too.

4.6 miles today on the TM doing various intervals.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ouch, Steve!!  And love the bday present.  Noah's 6 already??? 

I need to investigate this "Sherlock" series.

Congrats, Bill!

7 miles this AM.  Tried to run them slower than Tuesday since they're suppose to be EZ runs.  Didn't take much encouragement to do so since my legs were pooped from my squat fest yesterday morning.

Tomorrow, my buddy Karen is coming to town for one night to help her daughter move up to OR.  We get to run together Saturday for the first time in 10 months.  I'm so excited!  I miss her terribly.  Over 7 years of running together almost every Saturday - not having her around has been hard.

Looks like decent weather for the Stupid Bowl Super Bowl.    Hope it's a good game ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

I think steve should get Noah to help on the windows. ouch.

at least they weren't broken, . . . . were they?

If  I could have moved, they would have been dropped on something else. I'm not that nuts. Ask the dog....Scratch that. He makes stuff up

SteveP

King of PhotoShop

Steve is a riot.

Well, I think it's a big deal Breger. Good job.

I went to the lab and gave them some blood today.  Seeing lots of docs these days. In and out in no time but skipped the run anyway.  I'm way ahead of schedule for this week's 40 so a day off won't kill me.

Remember my bragging about my son's Ring Speech at his school in December?  They put it up on youtube. I don't expect anyone here to watch it all, but the intro was heartwarming to me to see his classmates applaud him.  I am very proud of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8aAwVrPcLU

Spareribs

Dave59

Hey, what's up?  Nothing up here.  Took the day off to concentrate on doing nothing.  Too often I make a half-hearted effort to do nothing and end up accidentally accomplishing something.

In reality, I have been working all day and accomplishing much.  I just didn't bother running or working out in any way.  Doing nothing is just wishful thinking.

Too bad those windows weren't open when they fell on you SteveP.  Then maybe you wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Why is everyone spelling Bill's name right today.  You all mad at him or something?

Bill - Whatever did become of the medical stuff that was holding back for a while?  I don't remember the specifics.

C-R

Hey all. Got a nice 10k at lunch per normal. Speeding it up a bit now. Ugh. Gotta get in shape for that marathon and the ensuing 50 miler the next month. I need to have my head examined.

Too funny steve. My dog and cats make up stuff all the time.

I like Elementary too. Forgot the night and now just watch it online. Not sure how our species ever existed without DVR and streaming video.

DS2 has another wrestling match today. 2-1 so far this season with two pins. Should be fun to watch.

Keep warm folks.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hey, Norm--I was a little disappointed with Indy.  The forecast was for 15 below and we only got -4 while we were there.   However, I did notice that I spent very little time outside regardless.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Why is everyone spelling Bill's name right today.  You all mad at him or something?

Bill - Whatever did become of the medical stuff that was holding back for a while?  I don't remember the specifics.

Nobody's ever liked me.  They used to spell it wrong just to make me mad.  Now that I've become an infrequent poster, no one remembers me or the name-abuse.

I had a couple of SVT episodes last spring/summer that sent me to a Cardiologist.  They put me on a med that, initially at least, had me fatigued and with no energy.  So my miles dropped way off as I dealt with that.  I guess my body has adapted because I don't feel sluggish and lazy anymore.  And I haven't had any more SVT's.  So I've been trying to run more.  (Also, my calorie intake didn't drop off and I was tipping the scales at 200 pounds.  THAT is wayyyy too much for my small frame.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

oh well, I least I know the difference between Kathrine Switzer and Bobbi Gibb, to say nothing of Jacqueline Gareau and the only one I've never liked over the years: rosie ruiz.   I wish there'd been famous photo of someone pushin' her off the course.

Tet, I ran Boston that year and was in a room in the Pru Center hotel when a very sad Jacqui Gareau walked in before they straightened out the mess. The really sad part is that more people remember rosie than Jacqui. Think parallels with Boston 2013.

Ran 4.3 miles today with temp close to 30 and bright sun. Not quite as warm as Costa Rica which we left yesterday am.

...yeah, we love ya Burger//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....