Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 7.24.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Holly (5.7 miles in 74° and 87% H)
    RunnerKSA (12.1 trail miles in NE PA in cloudy/humid conditions)
    Spacityrunner (5 early morning miles with friends)
    RCG (walking the Winthrop loop with Leonidas in 98° temps)
    Mike (6 post-church miles)
    Evanflein (Gold Discovery Run race in 2:21.10 - 7th woman and 1st AG)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Wildchild (5.3 post-afternoon thunderstorm miles)

Where is Starr this morning?

Good weeding cross training, Holly.

You sure get around, RunnerKSA - Boston last week, NE PA this week.

Did you stay awake though yoga, Spacityrunner?

I believe that 62 is the minimum age for a lifetime Nat Parks pass, RCG. I’ve played Hearts and Slam Uno, but that is as far as I’ve gone with card games. Cute story about the kid at church.

Anyone who enjoys running is a success story, RunnerKSA, including your DD.

Evanflein, I am even more impressed with your racing yesterday after looking at the course profile - Yikes! I agree that dancing may not be the best race prep...

Twocat, after a great get-away, it's not so back to be back. Actually, I'm looking forward to digging into a few issues. What happened to this year's RTB?

Sounds like you had a great trip too, Wildchild.

Yesterday was in the low 70s and relatively dry, so a good day to mow the lawn (where's Mike when I need him?) and make a sizeable dent in the weeding that needs to be done. Deer ate every leaf on a prized hosta right by our front door, and also (for the 1st time) dined on DW's hydrangea tree. I'll have to remember to deer-proof them next year, but it is too late for this year.

Scheduled Rest Day for me today, so just some extra reading and stretching this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I skimmed the last week’s posts…awesome Carolyn pics, great Henry and Marj article, crazy talk, a BTY sighting (Hi!), PBJ’s sobering motorcyclist tragedy, some incomprehensible card game from RCG (I only play cribbage ), KSA’s well-deserved mother brag, a new poster (Hi Lianne!), Starr from Germany, Jay’s wonderful vacation, and more. Glad to see all is well.

Tribee and I had a week of hiking and biking in the mountains, which was terrific though hotter than we expected. The knee seems to do fine with cycling and pretty well with hiking on moderate, rocky trails.  We got in a few 20’s, a 30, and a 40-miler on the bike, so I’m building up a little endurance.  The 40 miler included plenty of hills, a bear and cubs crossing the road, gun shots that I suspect were fired near us for amusement, lots of horn-honking and an incoherent rant from a tractor-trailer wood truck driver who was very pissed that we were on his relatively small hilly mountain road, and plenty of rain…so that was interesting.

Anyhow, back to doing some exercises and core work this morning.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Welcome back Jay and Tramps! Sounds like you both had a good week away. Hope you both enjoyed the R&R and are ready to get back into your normal routine. Speaking of truck drivers Tramps, I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago and they interviewed an over-the-road truck driver. His name is Finn Murphy, and he wrote a book about his experiences. It's called "The Long Haul." I just finished it, and it gave me a totally different perspective on long haul truck drivers. It's a quick read, and really interesting.

Thanks for the excellent recap again Jay! You were missed.

6.2 miles this morning in much more pleasant weather conditions. The heat and humidity finally pulled out of here yesterday. This has been one of the worst summers for weather that I can remember. DH and I played in a husband/wife golf tournament yesterday and had to stop 3 times for flash downpours. The golf course had standing water everywhere, and the sand traps were more like lakes. We took second place (lost first in a tiebreaker) and we're still talking so all is good

Hope Starr is having fun in Germany, that Mike got Eric's lawnmower back and the deer leave Jay's garden alone. And congrats to Erika on finishing 1st in her AG at the Gold Discovery Run.

Have a great start to your week everyone!

5.1 miles here in NE PA.  Saw a momma and baby deer.  It poured rain until 8 am, so I waited until it stopped, of course.  The perks of not being home and having to go to work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome back jay - still no rain here on no. 37 rainless day in a row since June 17.

Hope mariposai is not stuck at 90o on one of those mountains back

in her usually sunniest town in the state.

Welcome back Tramps.  My IM mentor rides lots of mountains

around here but only if good shoulders.

Otherwise, stationary bike.  Be careful.

Nice trail racing Erika, especially on anything that would be classified

as "technical" up there. I never hear of technical trail racing

until I came down the the PNW; it's just regular trail running up there.

Though somewhat scenic, Rosie's marathon and deci down a little SE of Erika-land are all on paved shoulders so hope there'll be an opportunity to get up into the alpines, in the coastal range even if it means using the tram up Mt. Roberts.  Better year is Mt. Jumbo (Bradley) right behind the marathon start/finish.  It only takes an hour-and-a-half to the remaining alpine snow patches and ice-melt ponds, etc.  I don't think I could now but I once took DS's cub scout den up there right afterwards.

GS duty

Yesterday was first time in my life now 8-yo GS wore out before me as he opted out of another evening Seafair neighborhood parade after all day at the Seattle Center climbing up the webbed mountain, harnessed between two bungee ropes to bounce high off a mini-trampoline, briefly trying to avoid getting wet in the Seattle Fountain and the giving up with dozens of other drenched kids, free food samples all over the place including two places giving out regular-size sample ice cream bars at the annual Bite of Seattle. dinosaur museum before monorailing back downtown to the Seattle Public Library and four escalators up to the tenth floor overlook, 62nd floor SkyView at the Columbia Towers, etc. etc.

Giant water slides at Splash-n-Slide this afternoon. Since he's a good swimmer on his own now, I hope to employ yesterday's observer strategy, find a pool-side lounge chair and just look.

. = = = = =

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Hi backatcha Tramps.

No running for me over the weekend as I'm trying to stick to a program of MWF running and TTh walking.  Yesterday in addition to mounting my new Eastern Bluebird house on my stockade fence (I got the house for Father's Day on Friday - a little belated) and relocating a birdfeeder from the back corner of our property to a spot a couple of feet from my kitchen window (so I can watch them while doing the dishes), I spent most of the day splitting wood.   We had 4 very large maple trees that had to come down over the past several years, and my strategy is to pay for them to be dropped safely (two of them were very near my house) and then do all of the cleanup myself.  90% of the wood was very easy to split into firewood, especially in the colder months.  Yesterday I tackled everything that needed to be split by sledgehammer and wedge. I made it through about half of that pile. While all of me is pretty sore, the sorest of all are my hands.  Today's workout at the gym was compromised, especially pull downs and anything else where I had to grasp the handles securely.  Ouch.  Fortunately a large portion of the workout was spent doing floor stretches for my back and hamstrings.

No running at lunchtime because of the steady rain.  And I think I overdid it yesterday to the point that I should rest today (the gym workout notwithstanding).  There was a time I would have gone out in the rain in this condition anyway.  I don't think it would be profitable any more.

I wish you all pleasant running.

Brian

evanflein

The 40 miler included plenty of hills, a bear and cubs crossing the road, gun shots that I suspect were fired near us for amusement, lots of horn-honking and an incoherent rant from a tractor-trailer wood truck driver who was very pissed that we were on his relatively small hilly mountain road, and plenty of rain…so that was interesting.

Maybe a little *too* interesting? The gun shots and truck driver would be enough to turn me back. I'd rather take my chances with the bears!

Welcome back, Jay. Sure glad we don't have hosta-eating deer around here, but then I don't think we can grow hostas outside much anyway. So far, so good with the moose around here, but I swear the secret is not growing peas. Since I stopped growing peas, my moose problem pretty much went away.

Tet, if you don't think there are technical trails around here, it's obviously been too long since you've been on them. The easiest are the root-filled wooded trails, but the Equinox out-and-back is full of rocks, ruts and roots so certainly meets the "technical" term. The mining roads we were on yesterday are full of washouts, ruts, rocks, roots and puddles/mud. You need to come back and check it out! One guy wore the five-fingers footwear yesterday, and someone commented they could tell where he'd been by his toe prints in the mud. 

Rainy, grey, gloomy and windy out there today. Seems like we got Seattle weather for the day! I'm thinking it's a rest day today since only two so far in July and I'm tired. I might do a short 3 miles or so on the treadmill tonight to try out my new New Balance Fresh Foam shoes I got earlier this month. The search for shoes continues, but I do like those Kinvara 8's I got recently. The Kinvara 6's ran their last race yesterday and need to be retired.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - sounds like a good time!

Jlynne - congrats on another stellar golf performance!

Tet - take me with you guys next time, that sounds like fun...

No run for me today, no workout, nada.  I didn't sleep well last night and woke up feeling a little off, so opted to stay in bed another 45 minutes to doze a bit longer.

I am working hard to get ahead since we are leaving for Colorado on Saturday for a week at Rocky Mountain National Park, and with end-of-the-month deadlines as well, and I am determined to get in at least 15 minutes/day weeding.  Oops, looks like it's time....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps gun shots! That would certainly have been enough to send me back home.

coastwalker so far things for the fan club do not look good. I am waaaay short runners for this year's Reach the Beach Relay. Where are my master runners!  Other than mariposai I am betting a big fat zero! Absent some major change, I fear the team will be sidelined this year. 

Rain almost all day here. That canceled my run with my training partner. It stuck around long enough to totally cancel my run today as well. Instead it was an hour on the elliptical again. Tomorrow is track day.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
                      Holly (5.7 miles in 74° and 87% H)
                      RunnerKSA (12.1 trail miles in NE PA in cloudy/humid conditions)
                      Spacityrunner (5 early morning miles with friends)
                      RCG (walking the Winthrop loop with Leonidas in 98° temps)
                      Mike (6 post-church miles)
                      Evanflein (Gold Discovery Run race in 2:21.10 - 7th woman and 1st AG)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Wildchild (5.3 post-afternoon thunderstorm miles)

Jay

Ahhh...and, once again, all is right with the world....

Oh...nice to have you back, too, Tramps.  It's nice that you didn't get shot, hit by a truck, or mauled by a bear.

I had a pretty nice track workout, today, after work.  8 x 600's with 400 recovery between each.  In an effort to stay uninjured, I have backed off my pace goals and wanted to do them in 2:21.  After I did the first one in 2:24, the rest were under 2:18 and the majority were around 2:15.  It was nice to be able to do them somewhat comfortably, rather than collapsing after each set.  So--with a warm and cool down, I ended up with 8.7 miles.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

...a thought for bty//.............remember to goto the 3:1 if you need to, it feels like Running, and it takes the strain off temporarily..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

Posting late, but 5 at lunch and 16 on the bike yesterday

Was flying solo with both the kids all evening so didn't get online to log and post.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BTY

...a thought for bty//.............remember to goto the 3:1 if you need to, it feels like Running, and it takes the strain off temporarily..........

3 parts tequila, 1 part lime juice, omit the triple sec?

pfriese

Rode 109 miles on the bicycle from Wichita KS to Radium Kansas. We averaged about 16mph on a perfect weather day with a very light breeze.

Paul