Masters Running

Race for the Cure- Raleigh 5K RR (Read 275 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It was a glorious day in Raleigh for the Susan G. Komen Racefor the Cure. What an event this is. Total participants was announced as 25,000. We should be able to wipe out breast cancer with this kind of suport.. just amazing! There were many running/walking events. Competitive coed 5K then women's 5K then open(recreational) co-ed 5K and a fun mile for the kids. Lots of vendors with tents on Merideth College campus. You park at the Raleigh sports arena (RBC Center) and busses take you to campus. I was there at 5:30 and busses were loading. Then off to bib pick up. I was first in line as they opened up. I told the volunteer my name, she took the rubber band off the stack of bibs, opened them up near the middle and there was mine! She said this is going to be your lucky day. It was a good sign. I then got the shirt and chip and made my way over to THE tree where Munchkin's family and friends usually hang out. It was early and no one was there. Soon after I got my chip in the laces, a group of people were heading over. It was Munch and company. Lookin good, real good Smile The smoke from the NC brush fires had blown east of us and the air was clear and cool (for 70F Shocked ). I had decided to go for it on this race. The first half was basically downhill and the second half uphill. They moved the start away from the finish so there was more room for the runners to get off fast. This meant more uphill than downhill. We started off in mass. I was amazed that the whole mass was moving at 6:30 pace or better. Mile 1 came in at 6:47, a good start since it will slow soon due to the uphill. During the 2nd mile I could feel the incline and slowing, but most were slowing too. The half clock said just under 11 min, really good except that was more downhill than up. Mile 2 came in at 7:10 and the incline was now there for good. During the last mile and a bit my mantra was "I hate 5K's". There was a guy behind me gasping in a honking sound. I figured as long as he's alive, I'll live. The legs were still working so I just hung on bringing it home at 22:04.45 (7:07 pace). Unbelieveably, this was a 5K PR by 36 seconds!!(with hills and warm temps... go figure) I placed 3rd in M55-59 out of 50 and got a big Race for the Cure medal the size of a marathon medal! Really a special day! Munch's friend Ned took a picture of Munch and I that maybe she can get to post. FR: Asics 2130 blue/silver shoes, wright socks (cool mesh), blue race ready shorts, white no name tech tee.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nice run Perch, always nice to medal Smile & a PR Cool 25,000 for a 5k wow Shocked We hope for 75 at our Vision for Veterans 5k tonight. Great job!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sarge.. the 25,000 was for all the events. In some of the 5K's there were people heading to the start as people crossed the finish for more than an hour!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

huskydon

Perch, Super wow! You medaled in a race with 25000??!! Congratulations! And you got to see Munch too! Great cause - definitely a fantastic race for everyone. huskydon

King of PhotoShop

Good job! Great event to run in, and the right clothing, and a good time. Do two more of these and get under 21:45. You are running great right now and have lots more success ahead of you. Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch, You medaled in a race with 25000??!! huskydon
              Thanks! Actually there were around 2,000 for the competitive 5K and zillions for the other ones

Great racing Perch! Nice results and despite your mantra (I do that too), a great finish. You'll be sub 22 no problem if you do more of these. I know right where you were too. Meredith College played host to the cross-country nationals when I was a junior in high school (pre-Foot Locker and Nike). I spent Thanksgiving Day running all over the campus doing my best to race well for Central NY....beautiful area. I hope Munch posts the photo so we can all cheer for both of you. Thanks for sharing the super report and I am not surprised at your speed at all. You are running strong! Karin/CNYrunner
                evanflein

Wow, so close to sub-22 and on a crowded course! That's amazing. I agree... you'll see sub-22 pretty soon if you do more of these. I really hate 5k's too... Hey, your previous PR was real close to mine! I've been trying for sub-22 for over a year, but don't run many 5k races. Basically because I hate them, too! Good job, and I hope we see a picture... I'll have to go check out munch's report...
                    Nice Run Steve! Congratulations on the personal best in a challenging race. Nice to place 3rd in a big age group. I am happy that you and the Munchkns reunited.
                    LaVita
                      Steve You continue to impress with your dedication and your racing...PR's keep coming. So keep it up. I am so happy to see you get these great results since your dedication takes a back seat to none. Great job Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

SteveP

Dude! Hanging with Munch and getting a PR and hardware!!! Sweet.

SteveP

Hey, that is still great to medal with 2,000 runners, in the heat, uphill. When did you get so speedy?? What a bonus to see Munch before the start too. Good luck with your next race.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Woohoooo! Sweet new PR on a tough course, a trip to the podium and great friends meeting, that sounds like heaven! Congratulations! Smile

Runners run

HermosaBoy

Great race Perch!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Nice race Perch! You raced for a great cause and placed very well in your AG!! It is amazing that you smashed your PR by that much, but I'm sure that you put in the training to do it. Congrats!! Big grin Keep up the fantastic running, John