Masters Running

Dg's First Marathon -wish her luck and give advise (Read 446 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

It was just 12 months ago almost to the day that I ran my first marathon Deb, and everyone here got me through it.   My advise is to print this thread before you leave for Columbus and read it the night before and the morning of your race.   It'll give you a smile, a boost and it will remind you that we are all running right along with you!

I googled how long it would take for me to drive to Columbus so I could support you in person, just like you did for me in Detroit - but at 5.5 hours each way, I just can't do it.  Sad      Relax, enjoy and don't worry about your time.

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    and May the sun shine warm upon your face.....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Definetly count me in.

I'm far from a seasoned Marathoner........actually I had no intentions of doing one this year until this groups contagious marathoning caught onto me.

My advice:

a) Don't sweat the small stuff

b) If you show up late and need to get by the walkers just shout out "Runner Coming Thru!"

c) Your bladder will never feel empty before the start. No matter how many times you go. There's porta potties on the route if you need them and nobody peaks if you have to pull off.

d) You'll meet lots of great people

e) This is the really really important one.......Start out slow !

f) On 2nd thought......This is the really important one......Enjoy every minute. Even the minutes that hurt.

g) OK.......Maybe this is the most important......Get your RR posted in a timely manner. Complete with the fashion report !

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!

I've never run a marathon, so I can only imagine how nervous and excited you're feeling these last few days. I guess if I had any advice to offer, it would be stick to the routine that you know and that has carried you through all of these months of training. Most importantly, take it all in! From the starting line to your first water stop to crossing the finish line and getting that medal placed around your neck - relish the experience. I can't wait to read your RR - you're going to do great!

Marathon Maniac #957

Debbie - we'll have lots of time to go over last minute stuff in person, but here's another bit of advice:

Get a good night's sleep on Friday night.  Even if you wake up, languish in bed as long as you can.  You will probably not sleep well on Saturday night, so get as much as you can on Friday night.  Be lazy, even though I know that's hard for you. 

And it really will be okay - you will ROCK!  And we are all here to support you, wishing you a wonderful experience, and some of us will be even waiting at the finish line to cheer you in.     

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

dg,

I'm so excited for you!!!!  As you know, I've never run a marathon yet.  BUT, I will give you the same advice my Dad would give me if he were still here:  KEEP SMILING!  

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Debbie - we'll have lots of time to go over last minute stuff in person, but here's another bit of advice:

I forgot.....you all are hooking up out there.

Unless you catch a ride with Holly to the starting line then showing up late probably isn't an issue.

no advice from me except -- enjoy your RA meetup and enjoy every step!!  hope you have a wonderful experience!!

denise

How wonderful, this is so thoughtful, Mary.

Here's my advice:

1. Listen to Holly.

2. Don't be a slave to a time goal -- run to finish and to savor the experience.

3. Carry a tube of chapstick--in the event of chaffing anywhere, use like Body Glide or vaseline.

4. At the water stops, don't stop at the first folks.  Run past them, then try to make eye contact with someone farther back.  Call out to that person with what you want--"Water?"  and when you get a nod, go for him or her.  It helps you get in and out of the crowd without a mad grab.  [Usually, the gatorade or powerade is first and the water second--the volunteers should call out and let you know.]

--Be careful as some runners can be pretty inconsiderate and toss their cups in a way that spills on runner behind them.   You don't want sticky shoes. 

5. If you think you'll be standing around in the cold at the start, get a pair of those disposable hand warmers--they are often sold in sporting goods stores, as hunters and ice fishermen use them.  They last for hours and it's so nice to have at least your hands warm at the start. 

6. When you get  to the finish, do NOT be messing with your watch.  Raise your arms up, smile hugely and keep it going.  It's time for your close-up, and you'll want it to look good.   (And if there's chapstick left, use some on your lips at the last waterstop!)

7. And what Slo said--in fact, figure out now a goal pace for your first 2 miles.  For example, if think you're going to run a 4 hour marathon (a 9:00 pace) you'd want to run your first mile in 9:30 and your second in 9:20.

EDITED to add (after reading Erika's Victoria RR)->>

8. My MM chum Pigtails, a trail running Diva, advised that if you feel the need for a porta-potty/bush stop, it is best to heed it as soon as possible.  I concur.  [and believe Holly can discuss with you as well.]

It will be a memorable and grand weekend, and again, I am just wishing I could be there--I will in spirit!

big grins,

A.

"There are a lot of things in life you can fake; the marathon is not one of them."  --Michael Hairston.

Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

All the hay is in the barn, so don't worry about a thing, have faith in your training.  

Smile and enjoy every minute, you only have one first marathon.  Smile

I am envious, I wish I was there to see you do this.  You will rock!

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

Ummm, well, I've never run a marathon, so I only have generic advice:

1. Double tie your shoe laces.
                      2. Don't forget your timing chip.
                      3. Pin your bib number on your front.
                      4. Don't wear cotton.
                      5. Don't wear your race tee shirt in the race.
                      6. Get there early.
                      7. Line up properly.
                      8. Don't start too fast.
                      9. Run the tangents.
                      10. Don't worry about your time. Anything will be a PR as long as you finish!
                      Good luck, and have fun. Your training is in the bank, and you'll do greta!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Lots of great advice here already especially about having fun and enjoying the day

Not sure I have much to add, but here goes:

**In addition to hand warmers, you might wear a garbage bag to the start over the throw-away clothes to cut the wind a bit (if it's windy-----I know it wont be, but just sayin')  The garbage bag will be great if you have to sit in a grassy area beforehand as well.

**Race adrenaline and nerves will make the first miles seem easier than you can ever imagine and going out fast becomes inevitable at times.  Run your own race---once the crowd starts moving and don't run until you cross the start line with your chip---no need to run more than 26.2.  I always think it's bizarre when the whole crowd starts running well before they have crossed the start line. Walk swiftly perhaps but don't start racing until you need to. Once you are over the start line find your bubble, that's what I call finding that air pocket/space that is yours and own it. I let the hot doggers go and take some deep breaths and find my groove. As suggested here, watch your pacing early on and hold it back----26 miles is a long way and patience pays off (I am typing this as much for me as anyone )

**It helps if I break the race into segments. My 2:58 marathoner friend Claire Gadrow breaks her races into 5ks---just 8 5ks. I use 5 miles as the segment. Whatever segment works stick with that throughout and don't worry what others might be chattering about as far as pace.

**If there are hills, look ahead a bit and find a fixed point to reel you up the hill---a tree, mailbox, etc.

**Match your shoulder swing to the person ahead of you a few places and let them pull you along. If you do that by trying to match foot strides, you'll be looking down and losing form. Run tall and as if a puppet master is pulling the string attached to the top of your head.

**Keep your shoulders relaxed, remember your fuel plans and follow them. What worked in training works on race day.

**Smiling also relaxes your face---do that LOTS!

and of course----WEAR PINK SHOES!!!!

Good luck dg. You take such good care of all of us---supporting, cheering, commiserating---now it's time for us to take care of you. I am running 18 miles at roughly the same time as you'll be racing-----I'll be right there and will run alongside. 

Unleash the inner dg and bring it on!

I'll be there to cheer you on, but here's some tidbits for you:

• With the adrenaline and raceday excitement it is very easy to start out quicker than you plan.  Don't fall for it.  Run easy, then run easier - even if you feel great.
                          • There look to be a lot of turns on the Columbus course.  Run a straight line between them and run the inside of the turns if you can.  26.2 miles is long enough.
                          • The Goal of the first marathon is to finish happily, not to meet some time goal.
                          • When the going gets a little tougher remember those last miles of the LR's and the last speedwork repeats.  You can run when you feel tired and the feeling passes anyway.
                          • Smile for every camera you see.  You'll want a picture from this one.

See you soon!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Debbie, I hesitate to give much advice since I don't have much experience or knowledge but I agree that going out slow is a good idea.  You want to finish and have a smile on your face.  I'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear how you did.

TomS

evanflein

You've already gotten some excellent advice. All I can do is reiterate what Carolyn said...

Don't forget your chip!! Believe me.

And the reminder to run your own race is crucial. There will be so many who start out too fast, and others are just fast runners. Don't get swept up in the frenzy and join them; run your own race. (yeah, I'm still working on this one...)

Me

Debbie,  I haven't run a marathon so I can't give any advice.  I will be cheering for you just the same.  You Rock!  You will do great.  I can't wait to read your race report.

Oh, wait.  Here's some advice.  Quit worrying, relax and enjoy the experience.