Masters Running

Jlynne - English Toffee Recipe (Read 178 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Beware - this stuff is addictive...

ENGLISH TOFFEE

1 lb. butter

1 lb. sugar (2 1/2 C) granulated

1 C Coarsely Chopped blanched almonds

1 C finely chopped walnuts

1 package chocolate chips (6 oz)

Combine butter to sugar in 2-quart saucepan and heat to boiling stirring constantly.  Just before mixture reaches boiling point add almonds and half of the walnuts.  Continue cooking until mixture reaches hard crack stage (300 degrees) - (it always seems like it's burning it at this point, but trust me, it's not - keep stirring and hold out until you see 300 degrees on the thermometer).  Pour onto 2 buttered cookie sheets.  Quickly spread mixture (move fast - it cools and hardens quickly).  Immediately pour choc-chips on top.  When softened, spread with spatula to coat.  Sprinkle with remaining half of nuts.  Cool in ref. then break into pieces.  Bag and freeze or keep in ref.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I really wish I hadn't read this ..... I LOVE this stuff!!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

#artbydmcbride

Oh good lord!! 

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The important instruction is "break it into pieces" .  This lets out all the calories. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Oooooooh - I'm so excited! Thanks Holly - I'm going to make a batch tomorrow night. This is the "lite" version, right?

I had an aunt that would NEVER give out her recipes. Could never figure out why - to me, that's the highest compliment that someone loves your food enough to ask for the recipe.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - I just realized it says "2 Qt saucepan."  Since I usualy make a double batch, I actually use a bigger pot, a heavy pan that does NOT have a nonstick coating.  I don't know why not the non-stick, but an experienced candy maker told me once that it works better that way, but anyway, when it boils it bubbles up, so you might want a deep pot, okay?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I think I gained 5 lbs just reading the recipe!!