Masters Running

Saturday 26 Oct (Read 46 times)

I don't usually post early, but want to pass on something my sister told me about yesterday.  This is especially for those of you with relatives suffering from mental confusion.  At the dementia facility where my mother lives, the staff is good at coming up with activities to try and stimulate the residents physically and mentally.  The other day, they had the residents playing beer pong with nonalcoholic beer and medicine cups.  It was reported that my mother was laughing and enjoying herself.  This brought smiles to the faces of my siblings and me.

Nice long runs for wild and mari.

This morning, it was in the low 40s, there was a strong wind with gusts, and a light rain.  I called it quits after 4 miles at an 11:22 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Very cool, Tom.  It brought a smile to mine as well.  Dirty trick, though...non-alcoholic beer...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yeah, that does sound like cheating a little.  4 miles in that weather ain't quitting, Tom.  There's quite a few that would be DNS.

a Garmin question for you all.  My 305 (about 4-1/2 years old) refuses to be recognized by my computer, although it does charge.  I've done all the soft resets and software updates recommended and still no luck.  it appears that a hard reset is the last resort.  Anyone had this problem and did that fix it?  Not that I have any objections to getting a new toy, but hate to spend the money on it at the moment.

A little cross training getting all our Halloween decorations out and set up as I'll be heading out of town for the week and not returning till after noon on Thursday.  Does it appear that we MAY go overboard a little if it took almost an hour to get all of them down from the attic and I'll spend most of the rest of the day getting all my animations and fog machines working? Roll eyes

Hope everyone runs and races well this weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tselbs - that brought a smile to my face too!!Smile

I tried to catch up on the comings and goings here this week, but there was all this talk about port-a-potties and penises and it's out of my league so that's all the catching up I can do!!  WinkRoll eyes

Ran 7.2 miles this morning after having a fabulous birthday dinner for my mom's 75th birthday last evening - it was just "kids" and my mom which never happens!!  I took her for a massage in the afternoon then met my sister and 2 brothers for dinner, then tomorrow we are having a bigger family party - I love parties!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!!

denise

....tselbs//..............I love it...........

==========

....38mprnb

...............still feeling like Crappe'

.................mayhaps a BikeRide tomorrow can cure me..................YOWZA

...........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Talk about being dedicated....tomwhite gets the prize.  I mean...if there are prizes for this...wait...are there prizes?

dg.

Mike I agree.

tw, what kind of Crappe`?

Tselbs, that made me smile too.     is your daughter's race tomorrow?       if your weather is like our weather, you get a prize too...

nice run Denise!   how's Justin?

mo boy I once met a large groundhog in a work-o-potty.

pre run... (ack)  I don't recommend fig bars.  

I tried to do something somewhat sort of a little bit close to a long run this morning,.   26 min. ellipticalling, 14 min. biking, 1 set of leg & arm weights, 3/4 mile walk around the track but 2 laps I accidently ran.  ...   & 52mprwb.

King of PhotoShop

A happy story for your Mom tselbs.  Thank you.

Took Riblet to a low key 5K race in Plano, maybe 150 runners, an out and back. On his way in, as I was headed out, I said to him, "You're ninth".  He passed the first woman in the final tenth and finished 8th OA in 6:58's, an AG 3rd.  This was good for him as he runs x-country but really doesn't run many miles, so he was happy with that, as was I.  I won my AG but because we didn't stay for the awards, I have no idea if I was alone there or not.  Doesn't matter to me, as I ran the race only to get some work in before next Sunday's Half.  My pace was just 8:24 or so.  But pleased with the workout.  Spareribs

Dave59

I ran a very fun 5k this morning at Northwood university. 90% of the race was out in the woods on wet leaves, grass and some mud. Small race and very few old fast guys. With a 26:?? time, I was 1 of 3 in the 50-59 age group.

I got the whole yard raked and mowed yesterday which is great considering the weather today (see tselbes post above.)

Nothing to do today but relax.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

saw this in the morning paper.

Pluggers

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

tw, what kind of Crappe`?

...thanks dg//...........hip is bad

,,,,,,,and

Pickles got her blood work back, the white count has doubled since last time>>NOT GOOD

(as background

for any of our newer members, my wife  Pickles has leukemia)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

(((Tom and Pickles))) Does pool running help/hinder the hip soreness Tom? What's the next step for Pickles?

Nice racing this morning Ribs and Riblet.

Kevin - you can NEVER have too much Halloween spirit Big grin

Tselbs - cool that your mom enjoyed the beer bong game. Sounds like it didn't matter that it was NA beer. I hope my kids put me in an assisted living place like that.

Happy birthday to your mother Denise. Have a great family party.

Last farmer's market here this morning. I went and stocked up on all kinds of squash, carrots, kohlrabi, beets and apples. It's always sad to say goodbye to the vendors on the last day. Some great people, many over 70 who have been doing this all of their lives. Then went to Will's soccer game. One little kid was running and kicking the ball and suddenly stopped in the middle of the field and started pulling grass clumps out of the ground. What a hoot! Got a run planned, even though the wind is blowing 25-30 mph, then over to the new Costco that just opened.

Good luck to OM and all of the other racers out there this weekend.

dg.

have to keep this quick, came back to say Kevin try a different usb cable.   or port.   or.... something else, but I forget what that is.   I had the same problem, & it seems I did something else, will try to remember...

oh, tw.     (((((( ))))))

will run for popsicles

dg -- groundhog in a potty definitely way trumps wasps. I wonder if he saw his shadow.

tom -- I'm really sorry about Pickles (is it ok for new guys to call her pickles?) Anybody who frowns at a team in training runner has never known anyone with leukemia. Crossing my fingers. althgouh it mks hard to typeeeee.

stumpy -- maybe it's time to let it go. and the new watches ARE pretty cool, so this would be a good excuse. Of course, I drive an '88 Honda, so ...

dang. now i gotta go run so i can post some miles (80 and sunny here, tselbs. sorry). you folks are a bad influence.

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Brisk and breezy here in Manchester.  Beer pong at the dementia facility sounds great; why not let them enjoy the real stuff though? ( in moderation of course).

Slept in a bit today; must have been tired. Mid-morning, I ran 10 miles on the Rockingham rail trail from Lake Massabesic.  Our "marathon is coming" signs are out and looking good. The race goes on a short section of the trail, west of the traffic circle. I usually run to the east, where one can continue  for 30+ miles.  There are leaves on the ground but they have flattened out and blown off so footing is good.

Took DS to a tennis lesson after; he has been working with the pro at our tiny local club ( clay courts though) the last several weekends, with the idea of maybe trying to play on the high school team. Skills are good; he needs some competition experience. His last JV soccer game for the season was yesterday, and they won. Nice way to end the season. Onward to ski season!  He just watched the first World cup ski race of the season on Youtube, a women's GS from Sulden,  Austria. A "tiny Swiss" won. I bet that was sweet, especially in Austria!

Mari, your half  marathon from the winery sounds great. I should find a new half to do. I decided against traveling to OBX. Too expensive for a half and lots else going on. happy running to all!

{{Tom and Pickles}}}

Final preparation underway for the Manchester Marathon. Let's hope for good weather and another"boring" medical tent.