Masters Running

Ultrachick Recognized for Her First 100-Miler (Read 279 times)

Our own Kelly/Ultrachick has received recognition for her amazing performance at her first 100-mile trail run in 2008. Check out the writeup at http://blog.irunfar.com/2009/01/best-debut-100-mile-effort-of-year.html. Way to go, Kelly!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I cannot, in my most daring dreams, imagine anyone running this far. I am really impressed and awed. Congratulations seem inadequate, Ultrachick, but I don't know what else to say. TomS
        Amazing acheivement Ultrachick! I cannot imagine running 100 miles. You rock!

Once a runner . . .

Way to go Kelly..........you are a pretty incredible athlete. Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            yep, that's amazing.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              WOW! My feet are hurtin' & toes are screamin' just because the thought crossed my mind but then I woke up! In a sweat Roll eyes That is awesome, congrats

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

munchkn883

Awesome achievement!! No chance I will ever even attempt that!

jfa

Ultra- SuperWoman!!

Way To Go Kelly! Very impressive debut performance! You give me hope and inspiration (my own debut is in April). What's next on your list? Hope you will consider coming back to Central NY this summer for the Green Lakes 100K on August 30th. See you out there. Skip

Renee the dog

Inspiring! So neat to be recognized like that.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Ultrachick

Way To Go Kelly! Very impressive debut performance! You give me hope and inspiration (my own debut is in April). What's next on your list? Hope you will consider coming back to Central NY this summer for the Green Lakes 100K on August 30th. See you out there. Skip
                        At this point I'm leaning towards going back to Iroquois Trails to either defend my title or shake the hand of the woman/women who beat me. I would love to try the Green Lakes 100K but it's too close to IT on Sept 18/19. I'm just looking to get under 24. My IT band is fine for 20 miles-that's the furthest I've been since then. I did the Finger Lakes 50M last year as well and that's on the schedule again too to better my time. Good luck in April and post your report on the ultra thread. Thanks everyone, Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow! Awesome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Kelly that is awesome! Inspiring! I can only imagine the amount of commitment it took. I noticed in your log that you ran the Nipmuck...are they still handing out those awesome finishing trophies (log with blue blaze painted on it) ?? I still have mine on the shelf and of all the T-shirts, medals and other such stuff it is my favorite memento of any run. I still have the scar on my thigh from getting caught on some barbed wire going into the corner of the cow field on the first half. Karl

Ultrachick

They are still giving out the logs. I think it's a great race too. I've forfeited the VT City Marathon for the past two years in order to do Nipmuck instead. I don't remember a cow field on the first half though-now it's coming back to me.....the section where you parallel a stone wall and the field is on the other side. Dave, the RD, is so funny. The pre-race meeting is always entertaining. I'm trying to decide if I want to do it again this year or do another race (like Pine Land Farms) this year.
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                Kelly! Wow 20 min google search to find out I ran it in 1999.. Its all coming back to me now...My good friend "Carson" and I were training for the Hartford and decided to run the Nipmuck as a slow training run. Our longest training run was only the northern section of the trail. We were 10 feet tall and bullet proof....6 hours later....my buddy was a broken man and I had crusted blood down my left leg (not a lot, only enough for dramatic purposes). The start of the race was not that big of a deal the race director just gave us a few more precautionary words of advice cracked a couple one liners and we were off. The most vivid memory I have of that day and the thing that impressed me the most was the ultra runners who had shown up a couple hours earlier and had run the northern(brutal) section. They came running out the woods about 1/2 hour before the race. They were a different breed of runner, their humor and amazing spirit defied logic and all I could do was gawk in amazement. I bow to your spirit and amazing ability to suppress pain and discomfort to achieve something that most cannot even conceive. Congratulations again and thanks for the trip down memory lane. karl