Masters Running

Friday, 11.18.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good resistance work yesterday, Hally. Nice to have the gym to yourself.

Wow, Holly. I agree that it is best to take DD's situation seriously, even if she says that it's only 'drama.' That's not fool-around kind of stuff. So sorry to learn about your FIL. It is too bad that you were right when you guessed what was going on with him last summer. And about your work load - yeah, what were you thinking? Well, I'm glad you got in a TM run, and hope you keep doing that to help keep your sanity.

Seems that you had a great time grandparenting, Starr. And your friend's photo is amazing.

Nice shorts-in-November run, Marj.

I hope you had a good Remi walk, and a good run, Enke. Good thinking about the roofer.

Good weight work, TwoCat. I hope the trip to Long Island wasn't too bad - good that you went, even if your DW wasn't close to her aunt who passed.

Sorry about your sore back, TW.

Good quick 5er with a yoga chaser, Runr-nut.

Sorry to learn about your papa, Mariposai - never easy to deal with that kind of illness/vulnerability. I'm glad EP is OK after hitting a deer. That makes dealing with car repairs a lot more bearable. Good run for you, and thanks for your volunteer work at the shelter.

Congrats on earning your GBA, Evanflein! Well done. Immediately after the stress of that is perhaps not the best time to decide if you want to get to the next level or not. Relax for a while, and then decide. Nice post-exam, pre-dinner progressive TM run.

Two gorgeous photos, Steve, but I like the second one better - what a cutie!

At our mid-day high tide yesterday, I drove down a few streets adjacent to our salt marsh and saw more road flooding than I expected. One dead-end street was completely covered for the last 50-60 yards or so; another street had water pouring over it at one point; and two others had water encroaching from both sides, making them 1-lane roads. We're days past a full moon, and there was no storm activity or wind. Scary that the water was that high, and there is no expectation that it is going to get any better.

Tonight is the 5th in our series of neighborhood political dinners. Even though the election is over, I'm sure there will still be plenty to talk about. As with the past political dinners, I'm sure it'll be lively and interesting.

I was supposed to race a 5K tomorrow, but I'm still far from ready for prime time, so I volunteered instead. Turns out the RD is new and sounds a bit nervous, and she is glad to have some 'experienced' help. I'm sure the race will be fine, and I'll have fun.

4.5 walking miles at J o'clock under a bright 3/4 (maybe 4/5) moon. I tried some racewalking and was marginally OK. So I backed off, and will keep walking, lightly stretching and rolling, and will try again in another 3-4 days.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not sure how some folks can say that there is no climate change going on.  Hope you'll be able to move from meander to amble to full speed in not too long.

4 for Friday for me.  Actually 3.99, but I stopped without checking.  38° so shorts and a mid weight shirt worked nicely with light gloves and a toque.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

One month post knee replacement and progress is good. Doing twice weekly PT and daily exercises. My physical therapist tells me I'm a "model patient " (model for what??). Able to do indoor cycling now and walking daily (did a mile+ this morning without my cane). Glad I'm able to take advantage of this beautiful weather.

Head Procrastinator

I am so sorry to hear about your papa, Nancy. Good thoughts out to him and you and the rest of your family and sorry about DH hitting a deer but at least he wasn't hurt.

Cute GB, Steve!

Jay is so much better at all the summarizing so going to go with his for everyone else, except that there is NO good trip to Long Island unless you took the ferry. Matt.

I didn't feel like running this morning but got in 24 mins, 2,2 miles and saw the sunrise over the ocean to boot. It sure comes up quick from the tiniest red spec to bright full sun in about a minute.

Good runs, walks, rehabbing and resting to all.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

Jay, scary about the high water levels.  And good idea to volunteer at the race - I've volunteered at a race I'd registered for but couldn't run, and it was fun.  I'm sure the RD will be glad to have you.

Global warming has given us a very long, warm fall - I was running in shorts till Wednesday!  But yesterday we got 5" of snow, and this morning it was 13° when I got up.  Back  to more normal November weather.  We've been readying our Sprinter van for winter travels to warmer climates, and we were actually trying to get out ahead of the snow storm, but had too much to do to get ready, including putting snow tires on all the vehicles, and making sure the plow truck is ready to go.  So we'll wait for the highways to dry off for a day, and head out to Moab tomorrow. The Sprinter is only 2WD, so we don't want to cross Vail Pass if it's snow covered.

Holly, good luck with DD.  She's always been quite handful, hasn't she?

Posie, best wishes for a full recovery for your dear papa.  And bummer about the damaged car and the poor deer your DH hit!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Posie Lady - Your Pappa will be in my prayers.  And yeah, that stinks about the car, but so happy the Easy Pacer is okay.

Holly - Never take something like that lightly.  I'm glad you and the school are working together.  Maybe it is just drama, but perhaps this is the lesson DD needs to understand that is and is not acceptable drama.  And as you said, hopefully the counseling will address other issues, as well.

From 2Kitty: fatozzig glad nothing serious happened while you were out running. Is there any chance the two guys you saw were not up to no good?  Our experience with such individuals in this area is maybe they weren't totally up to no good, but I'd lay good money on them having been up all night tweeking.

I was dead at the end of the day yesterday, so I'll be doing my 4 miles with speed work after work today, more than likely in rain.  Tomorrow's 10 look to be wet, as well.

Speaking of work - Yesterday I was feeling completely overwhelmed and almost broke into tears a few times - and that's not me at work.  In talking with The Hub the night before, I made a decision and spoke to my associated attorney yesterday.  This whole MMRSA thing - I'm willing to stick with it and work weekends 'til the end of the year, but after that, I'm going to start backing out, so they/he needs to come up with an alternative to me.  I can't keep up the workload - working for 2 extremely busy attorneys - and keep my sanity.  I'm willing to keep my toes in it and help out, but not to the extent I have been for the past 9 months.  I want to get back to doing what I was hired to do - working with my estate planning attorney.  The associate understood and I felt much better afterward.  . . . . now if only I am able to stick to my guns on this one. 

Have a great weekend ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie reminded me--I had my own weird walker contact this morning.  As I was coming up the far side of the lake, i met a guy pulling a rolling suitcase and talking on his phone.  He stopped and asked me if he was in Wakefield or Woburn.  I told him Wakefield and North ave.  Woburn isn't even an adjacent town to us.     Not sure why the phone didn't come into use, but he seemed to be happy with the answer and we continued on our respective ways.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Nancy's Papa}}}

Enke - I would have been sorely peeved to have to drive 4 hours for a guy who cancelled out at the last minute.  Maybe next appointment you make you let them know how far you are having to come, so you will need notice if they cancel.

Steve - ADORABLE!

Leslie - that sounds like a good decision. I am right there with you at the stress point with November deadlines looming.

Thanks for the kind words about DD and FIL.  DD has an appointment Monday with a counselor at our church and he seems like a super nice guy.  Also FIL's cancer is apparently only Stage 1, so the prognosis is reasonably good.

I had to take advantage of the record warmth today and do my LR today.  It was 54 degrees when I set out, and warmed up into the 60's during my run.  Right now it is 76 degrees, which I think breaks the previous record.  Tonight the cold and wind comes in, with snow in the forecast tomorrow night.

16 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - nice 16 miler!  btw, I did let them know where I was driving from...   Two years ago, I arranged to have some wood delivered on a certain day.  I went there, and the person cancelled on me because the Seahawks game was on!  There is a handyman just 4 cabins down that lives there year round, and apparently he worked on the place a lot before we bought it.  I will likely talk to him next time I am up there.  His wife looks like Tammy Fay Baker however, which kind of freaks me out.  Oh, the rural life!

Mariposai, sorry to hear about your Papa.  I know how hard it is when he is so far away.  Glad the Easy Pacer was ok.   Yes, MBE has mentioned to me that he wants to do skiing with you guys again, so I guess it went well last time!

Steve, what a beauty!

Leslie, glad to hear you let the bosses know you are overwhelmed.

Congrats Erika on the certification.  Seems like at this point in our lives we shouldn't have study and take tests, eh?

MBE was at the Navy base in Rhode Island this week for his daughter's graduation from officer development school.  He sent me some pictures.  I was tearing up, so proud of her - maybe it's the uniform?   I can't imagine how proud he must feel.

I went out close to noon, and did 5.3 miles.  I did a quarter mile interval in there at 8:10 pace.  I know that sounds pretty good, doesn't it? but that was basically 100% effort for me!!  I got a long way to go...

The best part of the run was passing an older gent out walking (this "older" thing is starting to sound weird, I mean, he probably wasn't that much older than me), anyway, he gave me a big smile and a big thumbs up!  I love love love that kind of encouragement - if that person only knew how much that made my day.   I also passed two guys for about the 3rd time in two weeks who obviously run on their lunch hour the same route.  Today they remembered me and waved.

It was 49F, overcast and a bit breezy.  I had a short sleeve, long sleeve T and a thin jacket on.  I was surprised I never took the jacket off. Shorts of course - not ready for capris or, gasp, tights!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice long run, Holly!  I guess our winter weather is headed your way?

Enke, nice run, young lady!   I'm not sure when the last time I ran a pace in the low 8's was!  I'm not ready for tights either, but no choice, since it's snowy and in the 20s.   5 miles today, and 6 miles yesterday, in screw shoes and tights, and jacket, warm hat, and gloves.  On the plus side, the snow is really beautiful!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hally is right, there is no good trip to Long Island by car. Traffic to the wake was its usual nightmare. But I got there with lots of time to express my sympathies to my DW's cousins.

coastwalker the roads near our local beach area flood these days on a regular basis. Came about from shifting sands off shore. There is a move afoot in town to "repair" the area to prevent the flooding. It is costly so I suspect the debate will go on pretty much forever. Never a yes let us spend the money and never a no we will not spend the money either.

Spent my hour on the elliptical today. During my time on it I finished watching the NYC marathon. Television stations need to change the way they cover road racing. Right now they just have a camera on the leading man and woman. That is it. When the lead runner breaks away mid-race you are left watching what looks like a single person running down a road by themselves. Well, yes with thousands of people watching from the sidewalks too. Interesting, this is not. The stations should have a second camera they can redeploy to follow runners where there is still a contest. From what I could tell, in the woman's race it was a close battle for third and fourth. That would have been way more interesting to watch than what I saw.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/