Masters Running

The Daily Sunday Daily, 4.23.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s superentunated workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.7 miles with some beach running)

C-R (8K in 42° with windage in a little over 35 min)

Marj (10 biking miles to the Boston Commons in mizzle with port-a-potties galore)

Tomwhite (10 min, power/manual bilge pump, plus 20 min X bike standing)

Holly (5.462K race on tired legs in 42° with windage, earning points for the team)

Dave (6.28 morning miles, pre-rain)

Wildchild (5K race, 2nd AG)

Mike (last 16 miles before marathon, starting too fast, finishing with hurt)

Rochrunner (4 early afternoon miles - unheard of)

Henrun (4 morning mizzle miles, with friendly greetings)

Stumpy (6+ (2 laps) lakeside miles)

Catwhoorg (5K in 21:39 - PR and 2nd AG)

Mariposai (13.1 miles to mark OOIB Half Marathon course)

Tammy (30K mostly trail Lost Creek Trail race in 4:04 [watch time])

Nice beach running, RunnerKSA.

C-R, Our half is in NH, if that makes a diff. Thanks for pitching it, regardless. And good job of helping the kiddo.

Did you get to wear the hat, Tet?

Good week, CMDan.

That’s a lot of water, Tomwhite!

Good team effort, Holly. That Dinner Train sounds fantastic and tasty. How was it?

Good job of taking care of the owies, dg. I don’t think you have to worry about fines being imposed for a 2006 rain run.

Welcome back, Wildchild! Nice job on your jet-lagged 5K!

Tramps, when you are already doing the work is well-past the time to suggest you shouldn’t be doing it!

Good effort, and good backing-off, Mike. My DW won’t let me off the chores chain either, but that’s OK.

Sorry about the canceled beer tasting dinner, Stumpy. But I’m glad you are going up to the camp anyway - it’ll be good.

Good for you (and DaveinAA & the NLBinAA) for marching, dg.

Congrats on some excellent racing, Cat, even if you missed your goal time.

Sounds like a well-spent day, Mariposai. Nice run to mark the half course.

Great racing on what looks like a gorgeous but challenging course, Tammy. Good RR too! Rest up and enjoy the solitude.

DW and I use separate bathrooms (hers is off the bedroom, mine is in the hall), and we each clean our own. Didn't think it was a big deal.

There was mizzle all day yesterday. But DW and I made the best of it by going to the Portland (ME) Museum for a wonderful photography exhibit, and then having another couple over for wine and cheese late in the afternoon. A good day.

I went 10.3 RW miles this morning, starting in 36° temps just before the sun rose (yes, I started much later than usual at 5:30). My hammy was giving me some grief along the way, so I strove to stride at a reasonable pace. I thought I was pretty much done with that hammy issue, so I wonder why it decided to come back for another visit? I hope this will be a very short visit. Lots of yard work on the agenda for today (it's a nice, sunny day), along with a drive up the coast on the way to a Trader Joe’s stop.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, as always!

Managed to do my 12 (12.1 to be exact) here in Naples.  I did not think it was going to happen.  100% chance of rain and storms during my whole run window.  I was feeling sorry for myself and thought I would have to do about 5 miles on the hotel dreadmill and call it a day.  Well, it wasn't raining at 6:30, so I decided to get in as much as I could.  I didn't talke my hand held water bottle since I figured I would get 3-4 miles before I had to bail.   I kept going- got one drink out of a sprinkler and then at 9 miles (thankfully) came upon the Pelican Bay Community Center.  I assumed the MEMBERS ONLY sign meant that I was welcome to come use the water fountain at their tennis courts!  I lucked out and they had a machine with ice water, ice and cups!  Thank you Pelican Bay.   Got back to the Ritz at 10 miles (had been raining lightly for a mile by then) and decided to go out another mile and back to get the 12.  I can't believe I managed it.   Glad it's done!

The Ritz is nice because they say "Welcome back" and give you a bottle of cold water.  The places I stay on my own dime wouldn't know if you ever came back until you didn't vacate the room!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Nicely done, Jay and KSA!

We had such a lovely time on the dinner train last night, with vintage train cars restored to the look they had in the 40's, a great meal, and some history about the Cincinnati area.

7.1 miles for me this morning in 44-46 degrees

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning!

it is a ridiculously beautiful day today hereinaa....

short post because I'm headed off to help my DD with a few things.

5.05 should've been easier miles,  mild hillage .    I'll blame working in my yard all day yesterday (too much)(coulda done better re the owies)

Thanks Jay!    Great start, though it looks like you forgot coastwalker's superentunated 6 & a scootch..  
          and, I didn't march yesterday, though I did Jan. 21st.    Tet did.   next year Doug & I will definitely go.  

wow, wonderful racing yesterday!

Tramps

Mike—awesome last long run.  But condolences on the Wild. Some soft defense issues to deal with in the off-season.

Tammy—nice racing yesterday; hope the hips are okay today.

KSA—Well done. You had me humming Woody.

As I went walking running I saw a sign there
            And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
            But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
            That side was made for you and me.

Holly—interesting event; glad you enjoyed it.  I did have to double-check the calendar to make sure it was 2017. Husbands doing house chores is still an issue, eh?  We split it all; the good, the bad, the ugly.

Jay—good point about the timing of that comment.

FWIW, some good, user-friendly online resources regarding stretching, core work, and running injuries:

(BTW, it's never a good sign that I'm researching stretching, core work, and running injuries. )

Speaking of which...I'm reading a thread on Let's Run about dealing with arthritis and one post includes: "When I was 70 I developed pain under my patella and had to stop running.  [...] Finally after 12 months I managed to start running slowly again every day, a short distance at first then gradually increasing up to 3 hours. At seventy two and a half I ran the first sub 3 hour marathon by a 70 year old...."  Wait, what?!!  Then I glance over at the poster's name.  Yep, Ed Whitlock!

11.5 miles on the trails this morning.

Bruins and Caps in playoff games at different times today.  Basically hockey nirvana for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Tramps... the arthritis diagnosis was from you recent doc appt.?   I missed that...     what kind?       I've had it in my knees & toes since my mid 30's.   dunno if I know anything that would be helpful, or that you wouldn't find elsewhere, but I found that moving them (synovial joints)  is good.   re toes, I couldn't walk around my block w/out waking in the night with them throbbing.      then I went to southern Ohio (hocking hills, Holly) and hiked the hills for days.   came back home & started walking a lot, then accidentally started to run.   they still hurt but they do well enough.  I'm not sure how well that transfers to knees.

thanks for the links!     & good luck.     

pfriese

Old fashioned sproinky 8 mile run around town this morning in irc.

Paul

flats

turtle runner eximious

I woke up to a frost warning this morning, so I opted to postpone my run until it warmed up a bit. There was not a cloud in the sky, so beautiful.

I got in 7.5 miles of rolling hills.

Michael

catwhoorg

Labrat

10 miles on the TM to avoid thunder and showers.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Tramps

dg--yeah, thanks. I'm glad you were able to find a way to stay active. My X-rays showed osteoarthritis in my knees.  I'm not 100% convinced that that's the primary issue with my current nagging knee pain. (The symptoms don't match well with typical arthritis: it was a sudden onset, not gradual; it's not stiff in the morning, etc.) Regardless, it apparently is something I'll need to deal with.  Strengthening the kinetic chain and stretching properly is supposed to help alleviate stress on the knee and, of course, is just good overall.  I'm trying to identify a good set of exercises and stretches, commit to it for awhile, ignore the fact that these are boring as all hell, and cut back mileage again to see what happens.  Also, I'm getting a gait analysis done to see if I'm doing something that's contributing to the situation.

My concern with this stuff is that it's easy to get caught in a cycle; you start looking for "issues" and they're everywhere...gait, form, core strength, shoes, blah, blah, blah.  I don't want to get sucked down that road so I'm trying to be sensible without overreacting.  We'll see.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Mostly a day off for me today but I did strap on the Garmin and walk for an hour. I'm in the middle of a 6-week corporate challenge and my team is in first place so I wanted to get in some minutes to keep it going.

Cindy and I went to Panera Bread for lunch after church. You can get a pastry for only 99 cents with a meal so I got a cinnamon roll. I didn't eat it with lunch so now after an hour walk in chilly weather I can hear it calling me from the kitchen. It is saying I should get a cup of coffee and warm it up in the microwave. So I better go answer the call.

...still raining here.....

20-min X Bike Standing

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Ahhh, the Siren Song of Panera....I have a free pastry reward waiting to be used...

Our furnace/air conditioner went out yesterday - something about the fan motor or some such, according to DH.  Fortunately our temps are in the mild-ish range.  Although it got down to 39 last night outside, I don't think the house dropped below 60, but that is still pretty cold by our standards for indoors.  We have a couple of heater fans, though, if we get uncomfortable.  Much better than if it were in the 90's and we had no AC.  Tomorrow the repairman will come and check it out.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

4.5 miles on the trails today in picture perfect weather.  15 m/m.  They felt hard.  Will try and do more trail miles and less street miles.  The grass was calf high and I was terrified I would step on a snake.  They're in the grass ya know 

Trails Rock!

Ahhh, the Siren Song of Panera....I have a free pastry reward waiting to be used...

Our furnace/air conditioner went out yesterday - something about the fan motor or some such, according to DH.  Fortunately our temps are in the mild-ish range.  Although it got down to 39 last night outside, I don't think the house dropped below 60, but that is still pretty cold by our standards for indoors.  We have a couple of heater fans, though, if we get uncomfortable.  Much better than if it were in the 90's and we had no AC.  Tomorrow the repairman will come and check it out.

Holly, 60 isn't too bad. Our furnace went out when it was 18 below zero, now that was a chilly night! Good thing I have a lot of quilts and down comforters.

I took advantage of the sunshine today and ran around the lake today. If it wasn't for that darn wind it would have been IRC. Yesterday I worked in the yard then cleaned all the windowsills in the four bedrooms upstairs. Purged a few coats out of my coat closet but still have too many. I don't like to get rid of still but know I need to go through this once in a while. We have way too much stuff, that's all I know. I want MrStarr to get rid of stuff in the shop and that is one huge task.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich