Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 10.7.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday's workouts:

Tramps (25 min of 4:1 run/walk)

RunnerKSA (3.1 early, pre-flight miles)

Opus77 (5 miles, including 1 mile w/u, 3at 7:55 pace, 1 mile c/d - 2nd day in a row run)

Rochrunner (gym workout on a dreary morning)

Anzio (4 morning run/walk miles, testing pacing pace for DW's race)

Tomwhite (50 min RC with trailboots)

Pfriese (11 EZ, muggy miles 'round town in new shoes)

Wildchild (5 morning trail miles with the Friday group)

Evanflein (almost 5 miles in the Lackawanna River Historic Trail in PA)

Mike (8 miles, 3 with XC kids, breaking Twocat's "no running in the rain" rule again)

Catwhoorg (14ish lunchtime bike miles with hillage + 8 post-work run miles)

Twocat (pre-taper long run)

Spunky57, sorry I'm late, but I agree with Tramp's advice regarding running/resting these last 2 days before your race. I hope you feel great and run like the wind tomorrow!

Opus77, I hope you are still feeling great after your two-in-a-row test.

Great photo of the kid, Cat! Yes, he will keep you young - or at least constantly moving.

I like that 'fridge magnet, Tramps!

Pfriese, I'm jealous of your happy feet in new shoes. I bought a new/different pair a couple of weeks ago. But when I headed out in them the next day for a workout, they just didn't feel right. So I turned around after only 100 yards or so and changed to my 'old faithfuls.' I've returned the new shoes, so now I have to start over. Racewalkers have few shoe choices these days, but I'm determined to have 2 different pairs to train in.

It's always exciting to read about what everyone is doing and thinking on the days leading up to a race, and especially when 2 people (like Evanflein and Holly) are wending their way toward the same place for a race meetup.

We had dinner last night with a friend who is proud that she lust turned 60. I like that. And a woman in a store saw my half marathon vest and told me that running isn't good for me. When I asked why, she told me that she works with a guy who is 71 and used to run and has had a hip replaced and is going in for another surgery. I told her that running isn't categorically what caused the need for the surgery, and even if it was, what is a problem for one person isn't necessarily a problem for everyone, so there is no basis for a blanket statement like the one she made. Sheesh!!

No workout yet this morning - I'll be leaving in a little while to head for the farmer's market to pick up some fresh goodies for the coming week, and then will try to get in 2-3 EZ miles on the HS track before folks show up for this morning's racewalking training/coaching session. Maybe I'll stop at the running store afterwards to try on some more shoes...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//.......Glad to see all the New Faces checking in......Welcome

===========

40-min PoolRun with letters

.................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Masters!  Rest day for me.  Feel good, but don't want to push things too much since I am still technically in recovery mode.  Plus, I slept in until 8 (unheard of) so I am already behind on things.

Coastwalker - thank you.  Yep, still feel good.  My FiL would ask me about my knees every time I saw him.  He was convinced that his bad knees were due to running, and that I was destroying mine.  FWIW, even after meniscus repair on the left (due to a fall), my knees are the strong point (knock on wood) on my body.

Interesting what the woman said to you in the store.  I run mainly for the mental release I get.  But I also run and do core because I firmly believe it will help me deal with other ailments in older age.  In this month's Reader's Digest there is a story about a 49 year old man (a very fit man) who got some type of infection/severe illness that almost killed him and resulted in getting a hand transplant.  The doctor had a great quote for the man:  'the reason you took such great care of yourself was not to avoid this.  It was to survive this."  Of course, we run to avoid a lot of other health issues, but I believe being fit will help us deal with the bigger. more serious issues.  Just my humble opinion.

Tom - good morning and thanks.

OK, need to grade some papers, load up the car, and head with DW and the adult kids to go tailgate for hockey opening night.  Go 'Canes!

Quickadder

Group run this morning was a very select group with only 6 runners instead of the usual 15-20. Having said that, I will miss the next 4 or 5 Saturday morning runs due to various races.

Dew point was back up to 74F today, so another hot and humid run goes in the log. Ran the first 3 miles at 9:30 pace but couldn't maintain that pace in these conditions. Finished with a total of 11.7 miles at 10:22 average.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

I hate when people try to tell you that running has caused all your physical problems.  Someone suggested to me a couple of years ago that my detached retina might have been caused by running.  Ugh.

7.2 beautiful miles along the D&L Trail (Lehigh River) in NE PA.  My legs have recovered pretty well from the marathon.  I took some pretty pictures....  My husband rode one of my son's myriad bikes along the trail.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, no post yesterday....it was a pretty long (but good) one.  Did 5 miles before dawn, then joined some friends (had served with almost all of them at one time or another) who were riding a 7 day bike event here in NC.  Rode 68 miles, most of it with my former deputy (who was on his day 6 and had rode a century the day prior).  Did fine until I got into the final town (Kinston) and had some (less than I thought) pain in my rear end as well as my legs trying to start to cramp (I forgot my endurolytes and only drank water).  Warm, but not too humid and it was great to catch up with some old friends.  Joined them again in the evening at a local microbrewery to share some more stories.  They are now on their last day of the ride.  I'll get out shortly for some kind of run...likely to be short.  I'll determine how my legs are feeling and go from there.

Coastwalker/Tramps, Opus is right--he broke 'em and I fix 'em.  My active duty time (Jan 1988 to Jan 1997) was almost exclusively with F-16 units (The "Fighting Falcon") and it's still one of my favorite aircraft I've ever been associated with.  The photo for my avatar is the first KC-46 Pegasus (the new tanker the Air Force is getting) refueling a F-16 at Edwards.  The unit I'm in now (a reserve tanker unit at Seymour Johnson AFB) will be the first reserve unit to get this aircraft but it will probably happen long after I've been moved.

Spunky, good to see you here as well.  Good luck tomorrow (with the race, AND with the infection)!

Have a great day everyone!

Well, I tried to run this morning. Went to the usual place but they were having a big 5K and walking event that had parking tied up, then to my 1st alternate spot but it started raining, so I went home and did 3 on the dreadmill. But tomorrow looks like a better day for a longish run anyway. Hope you all have better luck!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

8 miles with 20 min at tempo.

Busy weekend so had to try to squeeze a run in

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Dave59

8 miles with 20 min at tempo.

Busy weekend so had to try to squeeze a run in

I read that as "8 miles with 20 at tempo" which seriously blew my mind.

I tried out my sore calf this morning.  It had been feeling normal so I thought it was worth a try.  I went to the park and went round-and-around the pond and ended up with 8 very slow miles. No calf pain. I wasn't sure how far I would go but when I made it to 5 miles I decided to keep going to 8.  (no miles at tempo pace)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Hey--Opus broke 'em, Falconfixer fixed 'em, and I guarded 'em...well, probably not the same ones...buy I was a Security Policeman at Minot AFB from 1976 to 1980 and guarded plenty of F-16's...and B-52's...and KC-135's.

I sure had fun running, this morning.  Cross country practice was at 7:00, this morning, so I got up at 4:00, parked my car at the school, and went for my 16 miler...yes...it was still raining...and it felt great.  If you remember, two weeks ago, I had a terrible 16 mile run.  It was hot and humid and I crashed around mile 11 and barely made it home alive.  Today, I told myself to just take it easy and try to run around a 7:30 pace...even 7:40 wouldn't be too bad....but I ended up doing them at a 7:10 pace...and it was never really much of a struggle.  I really needed that for my head, more than anything.  After I was done, I walked into the cross country room, changed into a dry shirt, and went out with the kids for their workout.  They were doing 12x400 meter repeats at race pace.  I did a couple with the varsity girls/JV boys, then backed off and went with the JV girls.  I had such a good time pushing them.  Except for when a girl, right in front of me, slipped going around a tight corner, and I jumped over her to avoid her, which sent me flying right into a chain link fence.  I put my arm up to protect my face and beat it up pretty badly.  It hurt for a few minutes but the pain went away and the blood running down my arm made me look tough.  So--I ended up with 22 miles for the morning...and they were all fun...not too shabby.

Okay--that's it for now.  Good luck to all those racing, today!  See ya!

evanflein

Geez, Mike, take it easy out there, will ya? Glad your run was better this week.

Yay on the cooperative calf, Dave! Nice to find a route where you can stick close to bailing if you need to.

Falcon, we're very close (25 miles) to Eielson AFB and we're getting ready for the F-35's to come here in a year or two (can't remember exactly). All the buzz is that getting ready for this (what do you call it, squadron?) of fighters and the staff/families that come with them will lift Fairbanks out of our recession funk. I think it's a bit of over-excitement for what will actually happen, but at least a lot of the rental vacancies can get some tenants. Currently we have a lot of F16's here and they do "touch and go" drills at our airport frequently, fun to watch from my building.

Holly and I did a 2 mile run on the trail today, heading off a different direction so I covered a little bit more of it today. Now waiting for DH to get his butt back from Planet Fitness so we can go have lunch and hit the Expo! Forecast for tomorrow has gone to crap with thunderstorms and rain forecast for the morning, and temps in the 70's. But hey, it should clear off and get warm and steamy for the afternoon when we're back at the hotel taking naps.

Oh, meant to add: Jay, that drives me nuts when people say stuff like that. The majority of people who need joint replacements are sedentary and overweight, so what does THAT tell her? Apparently my siblings are always asking DH how my knees are holding up, very annoying. My knees are fine! Now it's these feet I'd like to do something about, but since my issues are inherited from dear old dad, that's not likely.

Tramps

Whenever I've had to explain to non-runners that I don't run much anymore because of a knee injury, I see that moment of "I told you so." Sigh. I've come to realize and accept that running is a mixed bag. It can be part of a healthy lifestyle--and is certainly better than being sedentary--but it is a high-impact activity that can also take a toll, especially as we get older and especially if we're regularly running 40+ miles a week or so. The problem is that runners hang out with runners and so we have a steady flow of anecdotal evidence confirming our pre-existing bias that running is unequivocally good. We typically don't see all the runners who've been sidelined by injuries over the years, though we might notice that the competition thins out after 55 or so.

Opus--ooh,  hockey fan.  Have fun.

Falcon--that's quite a workout yesterday. Nice.

Doug--some days, it's just not in the cards.

Dave--glad to hear the calf behaved.

Mike--ouch. And don't forget your tendency to push too hard too close to a race. That sounds fast.

Rest day for me but I wanted to pop in to wish all the racers good luck!

Best of luck to Erika and Holly; hope the forecast improves.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

I'll only add 2 cents to this knee discussion.  Henrun had a knee replacement at 82 after 40+ years of running.  His DD had one at 50 after 0 years of running.  His orthopods NEVER said the knee replacement was due to running, rather arthritis. Running delayed the surgery, not hastened it.

fleet feet to all runners this w/e!

marj

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hello Friends! Post on phone so will be short. So good to see new and old friends here. Headed to Wichita today. Will pick up packet. Respiratory virus better so we'll see how too goes.

Is anyone here in contact with SIZE12 and GEORGE21? THEY ARE BOTH SUPPOSED TO RUN CHICAGO TOMORROW. I want to wish them well and I want a race report.

Blessings all, Spunky

Regarding the knee question, there is actual research on the issue. If you want to keep your knees (and joints in general) healthy nothing beats running. That is right, swimmers have more knee problems than runners. Of course, the worst is channel surfing. Sedentary people end up with the highest rates of joint problems.

One of my favorite studies was conducted at Stanford (if my memory is not totally shot). They compared swimmers and runners over time in our league (serious, but not going to make a living at it). The runners had fewer overall joint problems (including knees) than the swimmers. I like the study because it tries to control for the behaviors associated with staying fit. Things like diet, sleep and lifestyle in general. The (hopefully) primary difference between the groups was just the sport they chose.

I hope the weather improves from the forecast evanflein.

No running for me today. An hour on the elliptical. Then a drive to the airport. Next stop LAX.  Then about a 4 hour layover. Then a flight to Melbourne.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/