Masters Running

Monday "Last Call for November" 11.30.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Mike, I know about those things-not-named-but-you-should-know-they-still-need-to-be-done-or-else. I hope you're working you way through the non-list while you're getting in some good runs.

Nice 18er with some MP miles, Twocat. Done with leftovers? Sadly, we're not. Actually, I did have an informal meeting with my BIL, the computer consultant, yesterday, so I felt right at home...

You're one cagey and speedy runner, Aamos! Congrats on another AG win!

TSelbes, how's your DD's kitchen project coming? Nice run yesterday?

How'd the cat lassoing with cow girl Claire go, TW? I'm sure our cat would love that...not. I hope you stayed floodless.

Good work with the Bank of Zak, Holly, and good 6er yesterday in the wind.

What a busy few days of working with the Hub, Leslie, and back-to-back runs too!

It sounds like you've had a wonderful trip to Hawaii, Evanflein. I hope your reintegration to the weather at home and to work is painless.

Nice 9er (plus a walking mile with BF), Moebo. Yeah - getting back to work after a long weekend is often a challenge.

Congrats on a 3-year best time and on having warm feet (and head and hands) in yesterday's marathon, Tet!

I'll bet you needed that 15-miler (with 6 at MP) after working 12 hours on your agency budget, Mariposai. That's a lot of number crunching!

We made a baked egg dish and calas cakes (with powdered sugar and/or maple syrup) for breakfast yesterday, and then helped the relatives, minus their oldest DD, pack up and head back home. Then I had fun fixing the vacuum cleaner that had been squealing like a pig, doing some grocery shopping, and stringing some of our outdoor Christmas lights. For dinner last night, we also took a break from turkey & leftovers, and had grilled, planked salmon with some New Orleans seasoning, sauteed asparagus with a bit of basil aoli, and rice and chopped onions.

4.9 RW miles this morning in 28F temps, and under a near-fool moon still high in the sky. Just for a COP, I did a tour of 5 nearby cul-de-sacks. It felt a little silly, but it's always good to do something a little different out there. At one point, a couple of deer in the woods were going parallel with me, and their eyes kept flashing in my headlamp every time I looked in their direction. They eventually just stopped as I kept going, and I never saw them again.

Have a greta reintegration Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

When was I last here??? Jay however keeps us up to date - Thank you Jay!!!

Morning run followed by a local latte - mmmmmm. My Monday treat.

Happy Trails!!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you are making me hungry!

LaT - howdy!

No run for me today, but about 50 minutes of P90X Legs and Back.

Why did I get on the scale this morning?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey Jay, LaT and Holly (and all to follow).

That sounds like a great breakfast Jay. Nice way to send off the visitors. Classy as always.

I need to cross train like you do Holly.

Glad you do those updates Jay. Is there one for the last two months so I can catch up? Been busy with work travel (2x to Germany in last month and all over country) which is wearing me out. Did get to have some fun with Patrick and his XC season. Caught a few races and ran some on weekends. We visited WI last weekend for Footlocker Midwest Championships where he finished 30 in the Fresh/Soph race. Fun watching him race and enjoy the sport.

Well back at it. Two RFPs due this week. Ugh.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hey, CR - Nice to see you.

Thanks for the recap, Jay.  Your breakfast and dinner sound wonderful!  Between you and TwoKitty and Posie Lady - I think we need an RA meetup just to have you all cook for us!  The rest of us can be sous chefs and cleaner-uppers.

Tet - Congrats on your PR - warm toes and all!  I can only think how crippled up I'd be if I tried to do 2 marathons in one weekend.  You are an amazingly gifted athlete.

We warmed up a bit last night with cloud cover and some rain early this a.m.  It was a core/ST day for me, and I had my little heater cranked in my shed trying to get warm.  My free weights get freaking cold in the winter, but I wear gloves when I'm using them.  I'm sure I look like a total dork - sports bra, shorts . . . gloves.

My buddy, Karen, slipped on some ice last week and now has a bulging disc in her back.   She works for ortho's, though, so she's getting excellent, free medical care.

I found a Victoria's Secret gift card in my dresser drawer when I cleaned it out this weekend - $40 - and a Starbucks $10 gift card in some of my dad's stuff.  The VS card was given to me I-don't-know-when by a friend as a birthday gift.  I don't patron either establishment, so I gave them to our dept secretary this morning.  She was very excited, especially about the VS card.  Said she'd been wanting to buy herself a pair of VS sweatpants, and since her birthday is Thursday, she can do it now.  Cripes, if I'd remembered it was her birthday Thursday, I would've waited, but the look on her face was priceless.  With a great big   "You totally made my day."  And THAT made MY day.

Have a good week, friends ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All!

Back to work after 5 days off and back to a computer. Our home computer got sick and had to go to the computer doc last Tuesday. With the backlog of work they had and being closed for the holiday wknd, they said they wouldn't get to it til at least today.  I've missed too many RA dailies to try and catch up but I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and extra time at home.  I got in a couple of trail runs this past weekend. nothing crazy cool to write about, but despite our below freezing temps, it was clear and sunny, so warmed up pretty quick once I started moving.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I forgot to say congratulations to Tet on his PR marathon yesterday, especially the second marathon in the same weekend!

Mariposai - great LR yesterday!

C-R and Tammy - nice to see you!

Leslie - nice gifting!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Jay, I know what you mean about doing cul-de-sacs just for a change. I did that a couple of weeks ago and was happy to find that one of the them now opens up onto a big loop around the town golf course. Now I have a whole new place to run!

Hi LaT!

Leslie, I love that gift card story.

Holly, I meant to tell you that I thought your payroll mix-up was the worst! The person who was responsible should have at least sent an email to all the employees who might be affected to warm them. Glad it worked out in the end.

Hi Tammy! Glad you are getting back into running again.

3.5 recovery miles for me this morning over at the track. Wanted to go longer but had some...digestive issues.

Almost forgot: yay for you, Tet!

Sayhey! MM#130

fabulous tet!

and ditto the thanks, Jay.

End of the month business here....just closing up the olde child support shoppe, enjoyed a quick vist with y'all.

liked the cul de sac route....I'd do something like that.  Lakes Park for me for 6.7...there's this one path I can daydream on and miss a turn, which is what happened this am, when I meant to do 6......

agreed on the gifting story being pretty neat.  Speaking of.....

So Tammy (and everyone, not to put you on the spot, but since you mentioned you were computerless.....) any cyber deals (or confessions?)

I'll go:

-on Friday, I got a lighted vest type thing that a friend has, $20 off (safety is good, and it's that time of year we run in the dark....and we have extra folks here, as well, whose driving is not always the finest, shall we say?)

-today, used a10%  discount to get DH a Red Sox ticket --supporting the home team and all that.

Kee on keeping on at the HA, Mari, we need you there!

Everyone should store a bunch of stuff atop their scales until 2016, I say.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

Aamos, no shopping for me - no Black Friday, Small Business Saturday nor Cyber Monday. I'm not a big shopper and except for a number of years ago, taking advantage of a deal on a tv for Black Friday, I've never participated in the post-thanksgiving shopping.

Tammy

Thanks for the ketchup Jay!

Tet - congrats on your marathon!!

Leslie - that's great gift card regifting!!

Holly - I am totally trying to ignore my scale right now!

LaT - I'm signed up for the Somerville Jingle Bell Run - hope to see you there!

As much as I like to shop with our local sponsors, I just couldn't pass up the deals at Running Warehouse today - used a discount code FLOTRACK and saved another 10% - ordered 2 pairs of my Saucony Guide 8 for only $45.79 each. I did just buy my new Garmin and bike at FitWerx - one of our TriFury sponsors and shop often at WhirlAway who sponsor both TriFury and MVS and will continue to shop with them for most purchases. (can u tell I feel a little guilty)

I did have an easy 8 hour shift Sat, but sadly what I was hoping was just a little tickle sore throat cough actually turned into a nagging bronchial cough. I called out of work yesterday and again for tomorrow. Didn't get the cold the dh has been holding on to for the last 3 weeks, but couldn't escape the cough - coughs seem to be my weakness. Plan on sleeping as much as I can until I need to be back at work Friday.

I am trying to stay in the Don't get a Fat Ass over the Holidays challenge so yesterday I changed out of my pajamas long enough to get in a 1.1 mile run and today I did an easy 2.5 miles. Just enough to stay in the challenge and get a little fresh air.

denise

No Black Friday, Cyber, or anything else shopping.  The Hub and I blew it all on our trip, and we stopped giving presents among the family a long time ago, except for parents . . . and now we are all parent-less.

. . . . although I did buy some blinking light things for dark running at REI.  I had a $7 dividend I needed to use before it expired.  It was $20, down to $13.??, minus $7 dividend, + $5.99 shipping (basically my dividend paid for the shipping) = $14.14 total.  Probably not the best deal in town, but I couldn't justify spending $60+ on the only skirt I liked just to get free shipping.   And this way, I'll be doubly sure I'm seen at night - front and back.  (The pink ones were on sale.  Guess they aren't as popular.)

And I'm farting around in here because I SHOULD be working on an accounting and I HATE accountings! 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I had to run some errands on Black Friday - grocery and Home Depot - but wasn't doing "Christmas shopping" so I don't think it really counts!

Today I didn't quite run more miles than degrees - only 5.9 miles to end the month on a prime number, and it was 10° when I left, and 8° when I came home.  I dressed about right, so I was actually pretty comfortable out there.

We're really behind on finishing our camper van so we can hit the road for warmer places.  And the project my DH was working on last week, trying to install cruise control, wasn't going well at all, so he ended up having a major meltdown on Thanksgiving.  So it wasn't a very happy Thanksgiving around here, but he's doing better this week.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

AamosY and fatozzig all of that night running gear would come in real handy for a fall 2016 relay in New Hampshire. Just sayin'.

coastwalker hmm, never heard of a calas cake before. Sounds good though!

Speaking, or writing, of things I have not tried before I had seen persimmons in the store but never tried one. Well I saw a recipe for a kale and persimmon salad and it was awesome! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/kale-salad-with-persimmons-feta-and-crisp-prosciutto If you have never had a persimmon the closest I can come to describing the taste and texture is a mango that is not quite as sweet.

No running for me today. Tomorrow I hope to go 8, outside if it is not raining.

I have a trip to Singapore and then Hong Kong coming up. Singapore has high heat and humidity (lows in the upper 70s and highs in the upper 80s each and every day) but reasonably good air quality. Hong Kong has much more temperate weather but the pollution levels are pretty high. Any suggestions about running in either place?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The 4" of wet snow we got this morning, along with the new snow we are getting tonight, made my run a bit sloppy.  But I managed to get in 6 x 1 miles around 6:40 and ended up with a total of 10 in 1:12:11.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!