Masters Running

10/8/09 WAKEY WAKEY Daily (Read 394 times)

Renee the dog

C'mon folks -- it's almost 10 a.m.

5 on the sand with Renee and another 2 on the TM for me....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks, Nono – I think we’ve all been waiting for some brave soul to step up to the plate.  (Actually I was just waiting for my boss to leave for Court...)

9 miles for me today, including 4 miles at faster-than-MP (8:31, 8:30, 8:30, 8:29) in the middle.

The FIRST plan called for tempo day (3 miles @ 7:44), but my knee was still making  “iffy” twinges when I tried a strider or two, so I decided on MP instead of tempo.  Legs felt good on the faster miles, pretty sproinky, but I decided to stop with 4 and go easy after that.  I’ve been known for overdoing taper before, and I’m trying not to this time.

Now off to read the end of yesterday’s daily.   Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, DD flunked her drivers test yesterday.  She didn't look over her shoulder before moving to the left lane, and almost had an accident.    She claims the instructor told her at the last minute that she was supposed to turn left at the next intersection.  Oh, well, on the bright side, I don't need to worry about her driving alone yet.

I went for a nice longish run after I'd dropped her back at school for play practice - 8 miles on the creek path.  Nice evening - 60° with lots of colored leaves.  The weather turned today - cold and rain/snow for the next 3 or 4 days.

Good runs or rests or tapers to you all!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Wildchild

My son flunked the driving portion too....He used a turn lane to go straight. It was night, raining and the pavement arrows are barely legable in the day. He just had to wait three weeks to try again.

A really good hard workout in the pool today. 2000 yards. Not running has really up'd the ante for my swim trainning.

Morning, gang!

Nono - thanks for kicking us off.  I checked in at 8:00 and didn't see a daily and then got distracted.

Holly - good for you!!  Sometimes it's hard to back off during the taper, but you're setting a good example!

jlynne - the preparation is behind you (thank goodness, huh?), and that's definitely the worst part!  Hope all goes well and you have something yummy following the procedure!

buehrle - can't complain too much about CT ;-).

I've been trying to post some photos from Flickr, but all I see is a box with an X. in my post  Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?? 

Mariposai - congrats on the new job!

dg - you are no wimp.  Running in the wind is no fun.  I fully intended to run outside this morning, but the wind was whipping when I let Jesse out, so I opted for a treadmill run instead.   7 easy miles @ 10:04 and 148 AHR.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, I probably posted this last summer, but it took DS FOUR attempts to pass the driving test!  I haven't heard of any other kids in our area who took that many tries.

It sure is nice now, though.  He drives himself and his brother to school most mornings, and then to practice right afterwards.

Nice running and swimming folks!

Great sub-MP miles there Holly....smart to stick with a plan and not overdo it too.

I just came in from 6.6 miles at 8:05 pace---windy and 55º Not sure where that came from---must have unleashed my inner WRFB!

I am getting excited for my friends running Hartford on Saturday. Dr. J is going for a PR (3:35) and Iron J will pace her husband as he runs his first marathon. My friend Claire (from down near where you are Sue) is going for a 2:45 as part of the New England's Finest program. I can't wait to see what happens. She's run 2:50 a few times and just may do this. Woo hoo! I'll be cheering for you too Walt.

JLynne---come up to the Big E now that your procedure is over......just looking at the food there will satisfy you. I live just 10 miles away and never go! Sue, those descriptions yesterday were amazing.

P.S. Check your messages Walt!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mari got a new job that fast? wow.. congrats!

Nice 9, 8, 7 Holly, Wild and Sue!

I'll add to the series: 10 miles in 1:37:10 (9:44, ahr 135). Reverse progression run starting 8:40 and ending 10+ as rhw lg started cramping.  I need a rest so I'll plan on 2 miles or less Fri and Sat and then try the 20 Sunday.  I have 35 miles already this week and the knee/leg really needs a rest. 

dg.. This knee started as tendoniitis where it was sore to bend between 60-120°, then that pain went away and it became sore near the ITB or quad which are quite tight so it is too stiff to bend past 90°.  It doesn't hurt much (unless I try to bend it past 90) but is messed up.  Just want to get through the next 5 weeks and then take time to heal it.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

0805. 52° F. 72% RH. IRC

5 miles and I felt like I was flying
                    Plan said: Five miles with 6 x 100 m.
                    Check.

The best part of this run was seeing my niece, Holly, on the trail. You see. The high school is located on the other side of the swamp and has good access to the trails therein. Holly is a senior at the high school and she and her field biology class were out there in the woods.

As I was running one trail, I kept saying to the kids "passing on your left" and "good morning, I'll pass on your left." and "Hello Mr. Dubay" and then... I pass a few kids and I hear, "HI AUNT BARBARA!" (followed by "That's my Aunt Barbara." in an excited happy voice.)

So I ran by so pleased. Then, as I was running along the bike trail that connects to the swamp trails, during one of my "speed bursts"... I hear, "LOOKING GOOD AUNT BARBARA" from the woods.

Holly and her friends.

Thursday is good.

Nice start to the day nono and Renee.

Smart run Holly.

Carolyn, good thinking re: DD.  When does she try again? And what a nice run you had!

Good to hear it, Sue. We visited my sister, end of July, it had been so rainy, but we had a few minutes of sunshine and a very nice visit.

Karin!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Good morning,   6.4 miles this morning avg. 9:10 MP pace w/ middle 4 @  8:50 mile pace, 20sec. faster than MP.

10 day marathon countdown  

Have a great day!  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mariposai

Karin, I was planning to run Hartford originally, but then I found out that I got in to the NYC list. Fun and exciting weekend is ahead of you and your friends. Wow...you do hang out with fast runners.

Perch, yeah, I got hired for a temp. position...just a few hours a week...nothing major. How is your new job going for you?

How are the taperer doing today?

aamos, how was the game?

Ribs, please give ERika a big hug from me.

Lovely weather here also. I will run this afternoon. I am attending a skills building mandatory workshop for Worksouce clients Smile.

Hi flying Rosie. It seems like your niece is very proud of her auntie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey CNY - tell all your frens to stop at the junkfood station at mile 22.  The PBJ family will be giving out treats.

I was told they're still looking for someone to man the bullhorn, and someone to wear the candy corn costume.  I know which one fits me.

Anyways, 8 miles this morning at 8 minutes per mile on October 8th.  Nice repetition.  Should I play the daily numbers?

I've been trying to post some photos from Flickr, but all I see is a box with an X. in my post  Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?? 

Sue - Did you click the box above that has a mountain in it, then paste your link without an extra http:// and hit enter?  If you don't delete the http:// that's there, you end up with two of them if you're copying and pasting your link.  And I don't know about Flickr, but in photobucket there are multiple options and you have to pick the one that says "direct link."  Clear as mud?

Holly - Check out the new thread I added called "Taper Madness."  Does any of that apply?

30 mins of cycling whilst continuing the 6-hour saga of "The Stand," followed by about 1.5 hrs of core/strength training.  My stomach  muscles were still really sore from Tues.  Sneezed this morning and woochee!

Have a good one, folks.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch, yeah, I got hired for a temp. position...just a few hours a week...nothing major. How is your new job going for you?

Well..... I turned it down because we decided re-location was not viable so I'm looking locally (Raleigh Durham area). As a PhD Chemist, you'd think I'd be able to find a job in "The Research Triangle"... but it's difficult.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

wakey wakey, it's a beautiful morning out there!  

sooo, what is the average time frame to begin looking at the 10 day forecast?

Nono, how is your itb?

Holly, good call. 

How do you know if you're overdoing taper?   hmm, that could go both ways.

Carolyn I was thinking about your DD's test this morning during my run.     Probably a good learning experience!  I know just how you feel, i guess most of us do     It sounds like you got in a really nice run just in time.

nice swim, Slo!

Thanks Sue, I feel better now. Smile.      ohboy, pictures!

Karin,  so zippy.   and it's all in the shoes, huh?   oh no, i almost just said that then I'm a shoe-in.  but I wouldn't do that    best luck to all your friends this weekend! 

steveperch, be careful!      good rest plan.   thanks for the details.   funny, mine has morphed too, symptoms and triggers.  it's like we're playing dominos sometimes.  

good luck on your job search.... you're right, it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

Aunt Barbara.... that was very cool!   

Sarge, how is your DW?

Nancy... I'm going nuts but don't think it really could be taper. My miles weren't that high anyway, & it's too early, isn't it?  I think it's extraneous factors.         btw.   for some reason it's really amusing to me that I am tapering.

this morning it was 32F & I wasn't too thrilled about that... but it was dry & relatively calm & really pretty so it was IRC after all.  Smile.   6.24 miles, 9:41 av. pace, 7:42 max.  plan was 1 mile ea. w/u & c/d, 2K at 1/2 MP, 1 mile at 10K pace, 1K at 5K, 800 meters at 3000 meter pace. 90 second recoveries.  did  1.01 mile @ 10:44, 1.45 mile @ 9:31 pace, 1 mile @ 9:06 pace, .76 mile @ 8:41 pace, .51 mile at 8:41 again.  one of these days I'll get this right.