Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.4.18 (Read 47 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.2 morning miles in balmy 15° temps + 3.1 pre-dark miles)
    Jlynne (3.5 pre-finger-freezing miles [2°] + 10 min of jump rope and some core stuff)
    Stumpy (3.1 dressed-right lake loop miles in balmy 13° temps)
    Tramps (5 miles, low humidity)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH with hills in 15° temps)
    Pfriese (1000m swim at the gym)
    Henrun (2 miles in sunny 30° temps)
    Spacityrunner (3.1 pre-work spillway miles)
    Surly Bill (7.6 rain-free, jacket-tied miles in high 50s IRC [Ideal Running Conditions])
    Mike (11 miles with 8 at tempo)
    Bioguy (3.5 post-work miles with some fast segments)
    Catwhoorg (7.1 pre-dinner TM miles)

Analogkid (7.7 miles on fresh legs, including threshold 1000s & interval quarters in mid-30s temps)

Falconfixer (8.25 EZ miles with the Ops Group counterpart)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

I dunno anything about Lululemon, but I enjoyed the links Tramps posted.

It sure is fun watching the team competition/trash talk!

You're right about Henrun’s ‘quote of the day, Tomwhite.

Yes, Mike, you are a rare case…

We're in the 8"-12" snow band for today, with possible wind gusts up to 50 mph. As with Twocat's DW, we're a little concerned about losing power (we're on a well and geothermal, so if we lose power, we also lose water and heat). So we charged all our technology, stored some extra water, and brought in more wood for the wood stove. Other than that, we'll likely hunker down and work from home today.

I got in 6.7 pre-snowmageddon RW miles early this morning in 18° temps with just a few flurries floating down, and a relatively mild breeze from the north. I worked hard in the early miles, and was on very tired legs by the time I got back home.

Have a greta Thursday, whatever your weather!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Snowmageddon is late arriving here (was expected at 1am), so we got (over)dressed planning for a 1mile walk. Instead I ran for a mile. Will go out for more walks and clear out the car as the day goes on.

Tramps

Hope the East Coasters don't get hit too badly today. Howling winds but just an inch or so of snow for us overnight.  We're far enough away from the coast to avoid the storm. That doesn't mean we won't lose power, though. 

Just some stretch and strength work for me today.

As you were.

Be safe. Be kind.

3.1 frigid miles.  I really am struggling to even get out there.  I'm not a cold weather person at all, despite growing up in PA and spending 5 years in Chicago.  I just hate it.  It was 11 with a little bit of a north wind.  It feels exhausting to run in this weather!  But- nice fresh air, right?

Ducked out of my  office and down to the gym at work, changed and got outside for 2.5 miles at 3:45 this afternoon.  No wind, 22 degrees. Nice break.     5.6 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning folks. No new snow here, but -5° again with no relief in sight until possibly Sunday or Monday. Back to the Y, where the 30 minute rule on the treadmills is being "strictly enforced"  So, 3 miles on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the elliptical waiting for a treadmill to become available. No luck, so a good 30 minutes of weights and core and decided that was enough for the morning.

Thanks for your recap Jay.

Good luck with your surgery today Mike!

+1 on all of the trash talk going on here lately. May the best team win.

Hang in there all of you on the East Coast. Just try to remember when you were little, how much you loved "snow days!"

Quickadder

Early morning easy 5.1 with DD. Low 20s but the winds have died down so didn't feel too bad.

Looking at signing up for a trail race on Saturday - weather forecast is excellent. Wonder if running it might get a bonus point for my team?

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

...just in case

the Arctic Blast isn't enough,

our schools are shutting down from Flu-

Usual Stuff-

1-cover your mouth when you cough

2-wash hands

3-avoid  buffets with SneezeGuards............ever see a short kid sneeze on the Pizza Bar??

and

4-------------Soak Your Toothbrush in Listerene

if you get a scratchy throat............DON'T brush it back into your mouth everyday

This has been a Public Service Announcement

and,

No I don't own Stock in Listerene

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Good luck with your surgery today Mike!

Thanks!

My appointment isn't until 12:15, so I got up at my normal time and went into work.  It was a good thing, because I had to make a couple of adjustments to the schedule because of the weather.

Then, because, I might be forced to take some time off from running, I did 7 miles on the treadmill.  They were all easy miles so the arithmetic was much easier to handle.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

TammyinGP

+1 on all of the trash talk going on here lately. May the best team win. 

oh look, she's talking about us, Quickadder! 

No running today for me.  Early morning dental cleaning and work all day.  ho-hum.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that is a LOT of snow.

My sympathies to all of those in the way of Snowmagedden.  Be careful out there, folks.

No 2018 in 2018 for me.  As I have said before, I was so annoyed last year that the group formed up and then immediately ditched RA and moved to FB that I am not tempted to join again.  I barely keep up here, let alone have time for FB.

And now I don't have to look at a teammate's daily "running selfie."  Seriously.  Every day she has someone take a picture of her running and posts it.  Like we won't believe she actually went running if she doesn't show the picture.  Or she just likes posting pictures of herself.  Every day.

KSA - I am right there with you on the "struggling to run in the cold."  Yesterday's low of -13 broke a record previously set in 1898.  At least we are supposed to get more seasonal temps next week.  Runnable temps.

5.4 miles for me on the TM yesterday, today I had a headache when I woke up, so took an URD.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

That's too bad you had such a negative experience with the game Holly. I've found it to be motivating and even though I fell short of my 950 goal, I do credit the game for getting me out there for the 921 I did.

Quick and I are making sure both platforms - RA and FB - get attention so if there is anyone that does not want to be on FB, they aren't just alone and not feeling part of the team. So far we seem to have some good team comaraderie going on

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello again.

They called me in early and have already taken the first chunk of skin off.  Now, we wait for it to be tested to see if they got it all.  We repeat the process until the cancer is all gone.  I asked about running and he said 3 to 4 days.  That’s a lot better than 1 to 2 weeks.

So...this game.  What if somebody really plans on running 2000 miles and only signs up for 1000?

..... Or she just likes posting pictures of herself.  Every day.

What's Mike having surgery for?  I missed that somewhere along the way.

The Snowmageddon looks horrible.  Hang in there, peeps!

"3-avoid  buffets with SneezeGuards............ever see a short kid sneeze on the Pizza Bar??" Hahahaaaaa!!!  

I got confirmation today that I'm not being a wuss about this whole crud thing.  A coworker said her hub is feeling the same way - if you don't move around much and just sit, you don't feel too bad.  Once you get up and moving, ugh!  My lungs are not happy and my inhaler doesn't help much.  Although with the gravely, smoker's voice that I've got going, I may see about getting a 2nd job as a 900 "operator."  You can do that while sitting around in your PJ's, right??

I figure trying to meet a running streak or a yearly goal is just another way of saying, "Here's yer ticket to getting injured, Leslie.  Again!"

Okay - Gotta get back to it.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

I had a software update at work overnight so I had to get up very early and verify everything was ok.  It pretty much was ok, but then a bunch of other junk started happening at work.

It took until 11:00 before the dust settled. I went over to the park and ran 4 miles. It was 18°, so not too bad, but when the wind gusted it was tough. If you were going into the wind, the gusts were ice cold. With the wind, the gusts nearly blew me over.  It was snowing lightly and had been for a while this morning.  It was enough to cover up occasional spots of ice on the road.  One gust from behind hit just as I stepped on one of those spots and i just about went down.

Sure felt great to get outside and run in the cold. I have been wimping out and going to the gym too much.

evanflein

Our group this year is all on RA. We have a private group there and it seems to work. I asked if they wanted Facebook or an RA group and it just sort of became the RA group. Works for me. We're also doing a weekly thread because most everyone thought the daily was too hard to keep up with. I think we have quite a few newbies on the team as they don't seem to really know what's going on so I'm starting the weekly with a reminder of what team we're up against.

Mike, the admins can change your goal if it's clear you were sandbagging. For example, anyone remember Dopple Bock? He runs an insane number of miles and signed up for 1,000. That didn't last long. His team was leading for the first few months mainly because they were blowing past their stated weekly goal so easily. Also, you can change your goal by June 30 if you need to. I did that when it was clear I'd never make my original goal due to injury.

Hang in there, East Coasties! Batten down the hatches, hunker down, and all that stuff. Pictures on the news this morning of traffic snarls and accidents in the south. Why do people feel the need to go out when it's obvious there's dangerous weather that you're not prepared for? One woman in a ditch held up a bag of candy and said she had to go out for a snack. Really?

We had snow in the forecast but just barely got a dusting. It's clearing off now and looks nice out, but again colder than forecast. Oh well. Gotta keep up with that damn rabbit. I hate how the pace bunny runs in the morning. I'm behind every morning, maybe just a mile or two, until I catch his furry butt later in the day. Need to build up a cushion so I can take a day off every now and then!