Masters Running

Saturday 5/21/2022 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

Parkrun #8 is complete. I'm home, showered, and had breakfast #2, a sausage & cheese omelet.  Breakfast #1 was a wonderful chocolate croissant at the coffee shop we meet at after Parkrun. Freshly made. It was good.

I feel so much better than last week even though it was a couple degrees warmer (68 and dew point 64).  A minute faster than last week but still a few minutes slower than a few weeks ago. When it warms up, even just a little, I crash. At least a minute slower per mile than when it is cool.
    9:51, 10:04, 10:10, 1:21 - 3.13 miles @ 31:28 

Double the usual number of runners and most were quicker than me.
    28 of 56 overall
    18 of 25 men
    3 of 4 AG 60-64

I have been watching videos and news reports on-line about the tornado yesterday in Gaylord. What happened is extremely rare for northern Michigan. 2 have died and 44 injured. Power was out in most of the town last night. Down south where our house is they never lost power. 

The tornado started on the west side of I-75 on Main Street (Michigan Route 32). Headed northwest and took out a few things on Main Street - Hobby Lobby, Jimmy John's, Jiffy Lube, Culver's, an RV dealer (what a mess that is) and other things.  It crossed I-75 and left debris that closed the road in both directions.  And from there it went north of Main Street and into a residential area. The area on Main Street east of I-75 was spared which is very fortunate.  That is the older downtown with lots of cool shops, restaurants, and touristy things.  Alpine Chocolate Haus is in that area and I would have been crushed if that was hurt.    I go there every time I am in town.  (Multiple times actually.)

bioguy

Nice running and breakfasts Dave!

Read the Times article about that tornado; here in the East it has gotten really hot for mid-May. I ran/walked 5.6 today.

Yeah, you do not read about tornados in Michigan all that often.

Oh, JetBlue how do I hate thee. Let me count the ways.

1. Your website sucks.

2. When your website malfunctions your backup (chat and phone) systems also suck.

3. Your website not only sucks, it is busted, has been busted for some time and you do nothing to fix it.

My DW booked tickets for her and me. JetBlue's web page did not register my frequent flyer number. It since turns out, without that I cannot see the reservation on my app (meaning I cannot get a boarding pass there) nor can I link to it on a browser. I go into my DW's JetBlue account to try and add my JetBlue number. It responds with an error saying that the country code for the emergency contact is wrong! In fact it says it twice in big red letters at the top of the page. However, there is no emergency contact number of the page to change. Further, there is nowhere to add an emergency contact number. So there is no way past this screen. I go to the help area and sign in for chat. After trying to redirect me to their busted page for adding a frequent flyer number, it tells me the wait to communicate with someone will be OVER 2 HOURS!!! It will be a long, long time before I fly JetBlue again. 

In less frustrating news, I ran 10 miles today. Nothing fast, but I survived.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Quickadder

Typical May weather for southern Louisiana - dew point 75F, temperature 81F (humidity 84%) before 8am. Somehow managed 11 miles.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Dave, the first thing we noted on the news coverage was the downed sign for the Culver's that we ate at on our way to the U.P. last summer. Glad to hear that your place was untouched.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey there masters!

Well, no heat or humidity here.  18" of snow overnight.  I shoveled and plowed this morning, and may go out for a run this afternoon.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker

Hi Masters.

Good grief: tornadoes, H&H, and snow! What the heck is going on here!

Nice runs, run/walks Dave, Bioguy, Twocat, and Quickadder.

That's a shame about all the JetBlue frustrations, TwoCat. I understand your pain - but I don't want to feel it!

We had a great time at the wedding in RI last night. The bride, who I watched as a toddler, is now taller than I am. She has been living in Canada (with her now husband) for about 3-4 years. I asked her the biggest difference between living here and there, and she said, without hesitation, that the Canadians are so much nicer people. We all used to be...

i got my 1.3 miles in today, and am trying to keep myself balanced and not let my left side compensate for the broken toe on my right. That takes more concentration than I would have thought. It's warm in New England but, thankfully, a but cooler and more pleasant near the coast. For the next hour or two, I'm torn between doing a little of some much-needed weeding in our gardens, or taking a nap. Maybe both?

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice run, Dave, and thanks for the start.  St. John adventures in running- drove to the market near the Westin property at about 6 am (I went to bed early and woke up early...)- ran about 2 miles before getting into the gym. NO ONE manning the Fitness Center. Power went off as soon as I walked in, but it came back on. There was one guy walking on a treadmill. Took a bit for the treadmills to come back up. Did 3.1 miles then .5 winding around back to the jeep. Not ideal, but I got it done!

Jay- glad you can get out there.  Twocat- I don't hear many good things about JetBlue.

RunningAhead isn't posting the runs again today.  I guess the server is down.  My runs made it to Garmin Connect and Strava..... Even the manual upload from my Garmin didn't work.

Had a good beach day with some snorkeling.  I guess my legs weren't used to all the kicking with the fins.  I came face to face with a giant turtle and BOTH of my calves cramped up!  The right one still has some soreness.  The turtle was cool, though.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

The bride, who I watched as a toddler, is now taller than I am.

Don’t feel bad… she was probably taller than me as a toddler…

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Summertime in Boston and 18” of snow in CO😮

We were lucky to get to go to Sox game last night. They won! (Sorry Tet—it was against your Mariners). Maggie got to go to camp overnight AND we got to sleep in. 😀. So no activity for us yet. 

Glad you got missed, Dave. 

I personally like JetBlue, but they are NOT having a good stretch lately. We flew them to NOLA and back with no problems. I think they might be having growth problems?  Not the cheeky upstart anymore.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

We were lucky to get to go to Sox game last night. They won! (Sorry Tet—it was against your Mariners).

Stumpy - neat. However, that's kind of like saying MikeE beat me. Doesn't matter though as one fan who'd never been there before couldn't stop talking about how massive the Green Monster is in real life compared to pictures he'd heretofore seen and in absolute awe of any batter who could hit over it. Were there any yesterday?

Perfectly clear skies this morning with temps into the mid-sixties this afternoon as practice for a possible first day of summer tomorrow into a scorching 70F, I hope. Glad I got the new lever handle kitchen faucet set DWs been wanting installed yesterday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

nice running and eats Dave!

10 mile trail race this morning. my watch showed 9.90 miles though and now I feel cheated. 
                          1700 ft elevation gain, time was 2:01, which was about 12 minutes faster than the last time I ran this in 2019.

I got 2nd AG, but I don't know if the other person in my AG even showed up. I'm not sure who she is so guess I'll just have to wait for results to load and see if I got that 2nd AG by default if there were only 2 of us. 

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy - neat. However, that's kind of like saying MikeE beat me. Doesn't matter though as one fan who'd never been there before couldn't stop talking about how massive the Green Monster is in real life compared to pictures he'd heretofore seen and in absolute awe of any batter who could hit over it. Were there any yesterday?

Perfectly clear skies this morning with temps into the mid-sixties this afternoon as practice for a possible first day of summer tomorrow into a scorching 70F, I hope. Glad I got the new lever handle kitchen faucet set DWs been wanting installed yesterday.

Only two. 😀. One a grand slam.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

A Tom White Sighting!!!!

Two breakfasts??  Livin the dream.

BioGuy!! Good to see ya.

Two Cat - Ugh

Oh My Gosh. Quickadder too!!!

KSA - Cool about the turtle.

Tammy - 

I got 1.8 miles in.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Had a good beach day with some snorkeling.  I guess my legs weren't used to all the kicking with the fins.  I came face to face with a giant turtle 

A giant turtle - cool!

Carolyn - 18" of snow!  

Tammy - nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."