Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 12.10.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday's workouts and races:

C-R (10 morning miles in falling snow with the runner's club, including 6 at race pace)

RunnerKSA (8 miles in 25° temps)

Holly (6 miles in 21° with a breeze)

Tomwhite (40 min with RC in temps in the 20s)

Metalmancpa (10.27 miles in some falling snow at 8:53 pace with a knotty hamstring in 34° temps)

Stumpy (3.1 miles around the lake in 33° with some flurries falling

Quickadder (Swamp Stomp Half in 1:57.39, meeting "B" target, and setting a new HM PR)

Bioguy (8 miles in trail shoes in a wintry mix)

Mike (10 miles, stayed upright)

Wildchild (20 miles with a group in the Ugly Sweater Run)

Fatozzig (morning meet-up with new trail running friends - good run)

Falconfixer (back home - 6 progressive TM miles)

Surly Bill (4.75 trail miles before dark)

Deeze (5.1 morning miles in lightly falling snow)

Congrats on a great race, QA!

Good luck with Justin's new treatment facility, Deeze. I hope there is a positive outcome.

The Millinocket Half was an adventure: I left an all-day conference in Portsmouth, NH by 4:30 on Friday, and rolled into my inn in Lincoln, ME a little after 8. I hadn't stopped for dinner, so I went out and did the best I could, and stopped at a local grocery store for some food supplies I might need. I had coffee and breakfast in my room yesterday morning, and drove 40 minutes to further north to Millinocket, arriving a little before 8 for the 10:00 race. This race is free, but we were all challenged to spend money in town to support the local economy of this small, struggling community. About 2,600 people had signed up for the half and full marathons, which is pretty amazing for a race, 'free' or not, in northern Maine in December. I walked to the HS for bib pick up and a craft fair, and bought a nice mug while there. Stopped in a shop on the way back to my car and bought a tech shirt screened for the race. Spent some time chatting with folks by the bonfire (it was 25°!) near the start/finish line, and eventually warmed up and did some warming up. It was 27° with just a light breeze at the start. I had no goals for the race other than to not be embarrassingly slow, and to have a good time. The first 6 miles were mostly uphill, and much of the road, once we got out of town, was either packed dirt, or pavement so worn through that it might as well have been dirt. They were in decent shape, but I couldn't get the traction I needed on the granular surface, and even the minor dips and deviations in the surface slowed me down, so it was a struggle to maintain a modicum of a decent pace. There was a spectacular view of snow-covered Mt. Katadhin in mile 4, which was breath-taking (sorry, no pics). From mile 6.5 on, it was mostly downhill with a bunch of rollers, and we were, thankfully, back on pavement. I tried to finish strong, but I was going on fumes at that point. I don't know my official time, but I saw 2:29:something on the clock, and my Garmin has me in 2:28:39, which I think may be my slowest half since my early days of racewalking over a decade ago. After the race, I semi-recovered, and did some more local shopping. I wanted to stop to get something to eat, but every restaurant in town packed. I was getting a little light-headed, and I had to start home, so I dug into my grocery supplies in the car and drank a couple of bottles of water and felt better and gassed up and got on my way at a little before 2. I started seeing light snow flurries at about 2:30, and it only got worse from there. Once the roads got covered, the speed limit dropped, and we had to slow down frequently for plows and road treatment trucks, and for too many spin-outs and accidents, and it was like that all the way home. The worst conditions were on the last 6 miles of highway where I saw at lest 6-7 cars that had spun off the road even though we were only going about 35-40 (fortunately, all cars were upright, and looked OK) My ETA for getting home started at 5:30, but I didn't roll in until 7:20. So I had, quite literally if you include driving and racing and more driving, been on the road just about the entire day. Thankfully, DW had dinner ready, so we enjoyed that and some time together before I did yet some more stretching and slipped into bed.

No workout today, but there'll be some snowblower cross training.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

That was quite the adventure, Jay.  That is a marathon I'd be tempted to repeat a state for.

So...how about a couple of grandkid pictures...

These are my Eskimo twins in some kind of parade in Alaska...

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, bicycle and outdoor

And this is Weiner (No, Tramps, that is not her real name) going in to her first varsity game...and she forgot to take off her warmup shirt...so the ref had to hold up the game...he doesn't look very happy...

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, shoes and basketball court

Okay--that's it, for now.  See ya!

an amazing likeness

If this link works, video of the start up in Millinocket Maine.  Look for Coastwalker after the running Moose (blue gloves).

https://www.facebook.com/millinocketmaine/videos/949453798536736/

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mrrun

Thanks Milktruck - saw the moose followed by Jay!

Jay - great race

MikeE - cute pics

((deeze))

fast walked about 3 this morning on shoveled bikeway on street and more walking later followed by Hanukkah party #1

marj

C-R

What an adventure Jay. Travel is always fun in winter. I did not realize the race is free and designed to bring people there to support the town. Very neat. Like Mike that one just made my radar but Maine in December. Oh boy. Great racing for you and glad you made it back safely.

Cute pics Mike.

Thanks Milktruck

Have fun at the party marj.

Got 8 miles on trails this morning. Its about 18 degrees and just a dusting of snow left on the ground. It was very peaceful in the park and saw lots of deer which was nice. Haven't seen much since the "clearing hunt" in Spring so good to see wildlife management got it correct.

Busy day to catch up with work but will be watching some great soccer matches too so not all bad.

Have a super day.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That sounds like a great race.  Thanks for the link, milktruck.

I saw some deer yesterday on my run! That always feels special to me.

4.2 miles this morning.  Started out with my husband who has switched to running for the winter.  He'll still do some cycling on the nice days, but he's not interested in bitter cold bike rides.   He's still adjusting, so is slower than me.   It was 30 by the time we got out there, but there was a cold wind from the south, which we did not expect.  Done!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning folks. And thanks again Jay, for your great recapping skills. Sounds like you had a white knuckle drive home! Glad you made it safely.

Great video Milktruck - that looks like a great race with lots of runners who were really in the holiday spirit.

Hey Mike - how tall is Weiner anyway? She's got the ref beat! You sure have tall grandkids - and how fun riding your bike in the dark.

Happy Hanukkah Marj and Henry!

Nice running this morning C-R and RunnerKSA.

It was 19° this morning, but no wind! First time in like days! I bundled up and headed out around 5:30. After a few inches of snow over the last few days, the footing was a little slippery and I almost lost it a couple of times. I managed 3 miles before my hands (in double glove/mittens) started to get cold.

It's overcast and gloomy with more snow in the forecast. A great day to make a batch of chili

Have a good Sunday everyone.

...w0w jay//........not sure if ''Race'' or ''Ordeal'' is the better word, just glad you got home.......

VERY cute pics mike//........you gotta be Proud.....

=========

.......didn't look at temps, it was just Cold.....

40-min with 2-lb HeavyHands

.......got PT tomorrow,

gonna ask if I'm leaning into the hills, The Back isn't Happy

and

I can't use a heating Pad until I get the OK from the doc

................good Running, watch your Footing, and Run Safe........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

First run in a week.  Doc told me not to run for 2 days after dry-needling the heel.  Then we had 2 days of steady cold rain.  Luckily the frozen stuff stayed about 60 miles west of us.  Got out today for a chilly 5 miler in mid-30s windchill.  Actually was nice to break out the cold weather gear for the first time.

I hope the mess that went through here isn't wreaking too much havoc for all the Northeasterners.

Metalman - hope the hammie is better.

Falcon - welcome "home."  Sounds like a week of nasty weather.

Coastwalker - yikes!  Scary return home for you.  Glad you are OK.

Shout to everyone else.  Need to use the rest of the daylight to get a couple of things done outside.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like a great race, but tough drive home, especially when you are tired and hungry.  Here's a picture of Mt. Katahdin for you.

Image result for Mt Katahdin

Milktruck - thanks for the link!  That Jay sure keeps up with the runners with his racewalking speed!

Mike - how on earth have those babies grown to this size?  And I love the smile on Weiner - awesome!

22 degrees this morning with a light wind.  We got 1-2" of snow yesterday, but many of the side roads I run on had dry spots.  The bike path mostly had about an inch of snow, so just a little slick but not bad.  When I ran under a railway overpass and suddenly hit dry pavement after several miles of snow-covered path, it showed me clearly the difference in how I run on the two surfaces.  I stopped at the house at 13.64 miles and planned to go back out, but the wind had picked up and I was cold, so I stripped a couple of layers and ran another 1.36 miles on the TM instead.

15 miles total.

I have finally gotten ahead of the Pace Bunny!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Great photos this morning!

That is quite an adventure Jay!   

Deez - I hope the financial part of it isn't all too painful and hopefully your DH won't be holding a grudge over this one. Family first, $$ secondary, and if this is the place that works for your son, then that is what is most important. 

Quick 4.5 mile run this morning. Very cold here - mid 20's when I went out and with fog that probably won't lift today, so we'll be stuck below freezing all day I'm sure. 

Having my parents and my cousin and his wife out for a family birthday celebration for David today. My brother and his GF can't make it though which is too bad. They had other plans (tickets to a concert). David turns 18 tomorrow so having the family over for shredded chicken tacos and David's choice of bday dessert was banana cream pie. 

Tammy

metalmancpa

I'm not a big fan of the treadmill. But for whatever reason, after running 10+ in the snow yesterday, the sunny upper 30's day just didn't pull me outside. Instead, I decided to run on the treadmill while watching some football, 6 miles at a 9:02/mile pace. The treadmill calibration has always been off, and I think the Garmin 935 with it's first treadmill run more accurate despite the feeling I was running faster (the treadmill had me closer to 9:30 which I knew wasn't right).

Holly S - Seeing your picture of Katahdin brings back a great memory of several years ago when my daughter and I hiked it using the difficult trails including the Knife's Edge. Here's a few pictures I took that day...

On the drive to the parking area: 

The red circle are people for reference - this was taken at the beginning of the Knife's Edge where you traverse the peak/edge all the way across:

And of course the picture with the peak sign:

coastwalker - Between the race and the drive home, that's one of "those day" I guess. Driving in winter weather certainly can be stressful.

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, glad you made it home in one piece - sounds like scary driving conditions.  Interesting about the race being free, to bring tourism dollars to the town.

I climbed Mt Katahdin on New Year's Day with my college Outing Club, back in 1978 or 1979.  The road to the campground at the base of the peak is closed in winter, so we skiied in for 2 days, then climbed the peak with crampons and ice axes, and then skiied out for 2 more days.  Quite the epic adventure!  When we got back to Millinocket we spent our tourism dollars eating all the food we could find!

I went out for an easy 3 miles around the block.  My legs are a bit tired from yesterday.

Mike, great pics of your granddaughters!  Those twins sure are growing up fast!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

oops, double post.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

oops, double post.