Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.6.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TSelbes, I'm glad your mother had a good time with her grandson, regardless of how aware she might have been of who it was. And I'm glad you had a good time visiting with your extended family as well. Nice run too!

Enke, I hope that you and Mr. Tet have a great time today!

Great 10K PR, Mariposai, and 1st and last in your AG too! Maybe helping with race organizing is good for your race prep... Good to get the tulips in the ground, and good to follow up with a W&C fundraiser!

I'm glad you got in good runs on Friday and yesterday (with a hug), Denise - I can appreciate how therapeutic they can be in difficult times. It is very good to know that Justin's doc is really trying to find a way to help, rather than just pushing proscribed pill dosages. I hope he finds a good balance for the meds.

Ribs, I'm glad the trail run was both fun and a learning experience. I'd hate to see the day when I stop learning from my experiences. (Of course, I don't want to keep learning the same lessons over and over again either.  Roll eyes)

Excellent PR, Opie! Those extra 6 seconds are within your reach.

"Have I mentioned how much I love to watch that girl play?" Holly, you're beginning to sound like Mike. Glad you got to the soccer game in time to see DD score a great goal.

Timbo, I'm sorry you feel that way about this group. I don't believe that it is anyone's intention to exclude any runner (or walker), fast or slow, who wants to spend some time here. Different people participate in different ways, and some are more involved than others. However, the level of involvement doesn't matter. Some folks just drop in from time to time, and are just as welcome as regular posters. And it is always a treat to hear from someone who has been away for a while, even if we (I) don't always come out and say exactly that. I hope you'll stick around for a while - whether I respond to it all or not, I always relish the glimpses into your life that you feel comfortable sharing with us.

I got up a little late (4:25) this morning, but still wanted to get out for a longish workout before I had to wake up DW at 7. So I fed the cat, did my stuff, and got out of the house in about 10 minutes It was 54F, damp, and there was a wind from the NE that was making flags stand out straight, shrubs dance, and acorns and leaves litter the landscape. My first few miles were into the wind, but I was on tree-lined streets that buffered the wind. When I got to the ocean, I turned south, and enjoyed the push on my butt from the stiff breeze. However, when I had to turn around about 5 miles later, going into the wind almost forced me back on that same butt. Fortunately, I had only a mile or so straight into the wind before I turned back onto some buffered streets. I totaled 12.9 racewalking miles. At 8am, about 6,000 people went over much of the same roads for the Smuttynose Marathon and Half Marathon. Unfortunately for them, they also had a little rain, which would not have been a fun addition to the wind. By then, DW and I were enjoying breakfast at our favorite local dive.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I got up a little late (4:25) this morning

Only Jay can post this and be serious!  Another nice morning for you.

Rest day but I thought I’d pop in to get caught up and see if there was any news from OM at Wineglass or more details on yesterday’s races.  A little early, I guess.

Carolyn—I’m not sure I want snow but those cold temps sound wonderful to me.  We’ve got the AC on in mid-October!

Enke—“all of the fun, none of the self-loathing.”  I laughed.  It turns out I won a 2nd place (of 18) AG award.  I guess I wasn’t the only one hurting out there.

Mari—I’m so honored.  I just realized I made it into your signature! (And, no, this isn’t typical weather.)

Ribs—you’re a sport to be taking up these new challenges.  We used to have a term for traveling long trails with steep rocky hills that required walking: hiking!

Opie— Awesome PR—and yet frustrating, I’m sure.  Six seconds!  I had a 2 hour goal for the first half-marathon I ever ran and ended up with 2:00:14.  That was a great motivator for next time around.  That sub-4 will come.

Holly—interesting stuff about how you feel after a trail run vs. road races.  You seemed especially sore this last time around.  Give yourself time to recuperate fully.

Mike—I’ve come to hate expos.  For me the beauty of running is the simplicity of it, yet they manage to find a million new products to hawk that make it all seem so complicated.

Timbo—dude! “Snobby group”?  Ouch.  Sorry you’re not getting the attention you wanted but it hasn’t exactly been hostile.  Let's review:

• Timbo - howdy!
      • Tim - Good to hear from you.  Take care of that back.
      • Hey Timbo - nice to see your post.  Maybe you'll find Door #3, just like Enke
      • Howdie Timbo.
      • (BikeTM's back)
      • Timbo is back! I'm sorry about your fall and LH, but I'm glad that your running, overall, has been going well this year.
      • Heya Timbo!
      • Good to see Tim pop in, although his posts always seem to involve pain.  Ouch; get better soon.
      • Listen to your body, Timbo.
      • Hi Timbo--welcome back.  Glad to see your life is as boring as ever.
      • Timbo, waking fast should give you as good a workout as running. If you learn good technique, you can get up some good speed too! Oh - and what Stumpy said: Glad to see your life is as boring as ever.

As others have noted, folks are busy; not everything gets commented on every time.  Glad to hear, though, that you’re talking with others and finding support there.  But, of course, you're always welcome here.  You bring a unique energy to the place.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, happy for David's PR and great race, but so sorry for your personal loss.

Opie, on cloud nine huh?  Well good for you.  You worked for it and you deserve it.

Tim, STFU.

Told Liz last night that I would pick her up early and take her to my club, but just before bedtime I decided to dump her and sleep!  So I did.  Took Lucy to the park for a short walk/jog and that was the right thing to do.  Tomorrow my DMN post goes up and I'll paste the link here. I learned a lot about trails but not anywhere near what I need to know if I do it again.

Spareribs

Slo

What a difference a cool autumn morning can make. I'll take a brisk sub 40 deg run anyday!

Tim, STFU.

Tim's post made me angry, then I thought about it. Whatever caused you to post such hurtful words, I feel bad for you. These are great people, and I hope you decide to stick around.

Glad you slept in this morning, Jay.

Great race yesterday, Ribs.

(((Denise))) I hope Justin continues to make progress.

Hey Enke - how's everything going with Door #3?

6.5 miles, 9:31 pace for me in a soft rain this morning. Oh - the Moody Blues concert was great! Those 70 year-old guys can still rock and played for over two hours. And they played "Nights in White Satin" Twocat Smile

Cripes, Tim.  I'm really sorry you feel that way.

=========================

Did I miss how Ribs' trail run went???

Sounds Posie did fantastic.

Yesterday, I had the hardest race ever. I'm not sure what was harder - my very first 50k or this year's Weaver Basin 50k. The race itself is tough, but it was what I did in the days leading up to the race and during and after the race that was mistake compounded upon mistake. HUGE thanks to Gus and his volunteers and Sweep turned Pacer Extraordinaire - Alex - for getting me through, even when I just wanted to curl up and die.  Also to Gus and family and Alex's wife and family for waiting for me at the finish line a full hour after the 2nd to last runner finished. (Yes, I was most definitely DFL). BUT a really great DFL prize!! A free pair of shoes from KEEN. Whoot Whoot!

Today, walking is a bit of a challenge, but a good walk is in my future, as well as some yard work.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...probably

not the right time to start my Equal Rights for PoolRunners support group........

============

been out sick,

apparently I have some catching up to do

got in 31mprnb yesterday, but was Not Sincere

............good running guys..........enjoy the work-out,,,,,whichever you choose

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...probably

not the right time to start my Equal Rights for PoolRunners support group........

Big grin

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I may get back later.  For now I will have to leave it at 1:37:50 for my HM time.  I told my DW and myself that if I did not break 1:37 I would scratch the November 10 marathon date and shoot for December, so that is what I plan to do.  That late summer injury set me back about a month it seems.  About right I guess since it derailed me from all running for two weeks.  Fortunately with my new version of marathon planning this all works out fine!  I now just need to start looking at early December Marathons!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon.  A nice run for me at 7am this morning.  7.25 miles of Maine terrain.  Not too fast, but the elevated time that the first major hill added kept going away as I went on.

Great 50K Leslie.  Enjoy the spoils of DFL.

Twocat--what's 50 seconds between friends?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Hooray for pool runners!

Ran 4 miles this morning- longest in almost 2 months. Have almost run as many miles in these 1st 6 days as I ran totally last monthSmile.

Watching the Patriots playing a sloppy game in Cincy. Looking for my DD and SIL who are sitting in the end zone at the game.

Dave59

Rest day for me.  Church followed a software install which I think is done.  Just waiting for the word from my partner in crime that is checking everything down at the office.  Then it will be lunch time baby.  The stress will be lifted.

mta - I sure hope the Lions beat the Packers today. Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

I got up a little late (4:25) this morning,

I know, this always makes me smile when I see this...Smile  Do you at least take a nap later?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Yesterday, I had the hardest race ever. I'm not sure what was harder - my very first 50k or this year's Weaver Basin 50k. The race itself is tough, but it was what I did in the days leading up to the race and during and after the race that was mistake compounded upon mistake. HUGE thanks to Gus and his volunteers and Sweep turned Pacer Extraordinaire - Alex - for getting me through, even when I just wanted to curl up and die.  Also to Gus and family and Alex's wife and family for waiting for me at the finish line a full hour after the 2nd to last runner finished. (Yes, I was most definitely DFL). BUT a really great DFL prize!! A free pair of shoes from KEEN. Whoot Whoot!

Leslie - you are one tough runner!  DFL is still a finisher!  And very cool prize as well.

Slo - just a bit colder than I like.  Once we drop into the 30's, I seem to get even slower....

TomWhite - Big grin

Twocat - what Sumpy said....

LR day for me, but I have a bit of what I think is Morton's Neuroma in my left foot that gets better and worse at intervals, and today was a "worse" day.  Add that to the steady rain that kept me on the TM and I just quit at 10 miles.  Supposed to be a recovery week anyway, so that's okay.

84 and humid yesterday, and tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 50's.  We've had a long run of lovely weather, but I guess I have to expect the cooldown.

Wildchild - Do you remember how many aid stations they had at Moab?  I'm trying to decide if I need my hydration vest (which I really hate to use) or just to bring a hand-held.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Leslie, you are such a tough runner! Great price for your DFL as well!

Gorgeous day out here today. I so badly want to go out for a long run, but I raced pretty hard yesterday and my legs are tired. I may still go out just to enjoy the sunshine. Up early to cyber watch Twocat run his HM. It is fun to cyber follow your runner thru glympse or other devices available out-there. After he finished I did core work plus some weights.

Last night's gala was  filled with fun, elegance and great entertainment. This was a fundraiser for a water theme park up north from us. They theme was French cuisine paired with various types of wine produced by the winery. I discovered a new good winery locally, for which I am happy.   The food was good, not Le Bernardine style good, but very, very good. Ohhh the fundraiser was organized by the mother of Jack Black (School of rock, Kung Fu Panda, Nacho Libre, etc.). She is a lovely lady with great taste, so the event was top notch.

Now I must hit the closet to exchange summer clothes for fall and winter clothes. Where did summer go?

Enjoy your Sunday!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard