Masters Running

Saturday February 15, 2014 Still Snowy Runs (Read 31 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

DH and I went to a "Couples Comedy Night" event at our church with friends last night.  There was a stand up comedian who was very funny and he didn't even have to curse - wish more of today's comics realized that. 

What was supposed to be a light dusting dumped about 6 inches of new snow on us last night.  The plows still have not made it to our road.  I wimped out and ran 5 easy-paced miles on the TM, followed by upper body weights and core.

Enjoy the day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly and everyone else!

Sounds like a good time last night Holly. I hope everyone else had a most excellent Valentine's Day, however you chose to celebrate (or not). DW and I cooked a delicious dinner together, and then enjoyed a quiet evening in front of a great fire in the fireplace. Couldn't have asked for more.

I got most of the snow cleared yesterday, although, there was a layer of ice under the snow everywhere except on the deck. I was pretty well spent by the time I got done what I got done. We're supposed to get another 6-9" of snow tonight (thanks for sending it along, Holly). We're having 35-40 people over for our annual Wacky Winter Activity party tomorrow afternoon, so I've asked a neighbor who does plowing to come over late in the morning (after I've cleared the new snow) to sand our driveway so at least people will be able to have decent traction. Oy...

Dave, our series is somewhat complex: Racers have to complete 6 of the 8 races (including 2 longer than a 5K) to earn a free, custom jacket. In 9 years, we've given away over 5,000 jackets. We also award points, and the top finishers (male/female, runners and competitive walkers) earn cash and/or wonderful glass trophies. Here is the link to our series site, with info from last year: http://www.proportsmouth.org/SeacoastSeries.cfm

9 RW miles this morning at 4:45 (slacker I am), and in 26F temps under cloudy skies. There was still some snow/slush/skim ice on some of the roads, so the footing was decent for the most part, but I still had to watch my footing, and so couldn't go with wild abandon (yeah, right...). Especially after yesterday's snow-clearing adventure, I was surprised to have any legs left, but I did OK out there. Now it's time for major party prep, and also making sure my snow blower gas can is topped up.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Holly and Jay and those to follow.

Enough with the snow already. We're all full up here. Oh well, it will be spring in three weeks and it will all magically melt then.

Very nice evening Holly.

Have fun at the party Jay.

Son and I did our indoor track workout this morning. We're both getting faster. Running 200s in 37 and 400s in 1:17. The 1200 time trial still hurts though.

DW and I spent a quiet evening watching the Olympics with a nice fire in the fireplace. It was a good Valentine evening for us.

Ribs - do you take Lucy von Sheltie out for runs? Cody is really showing some potential and I wanted to take him along when I run XC. Wanted some thoughts as our collie hates running. We went 1/2 mile of a planned 1 mile tryout to see if he might be a running partner. We stopped at an intersection and he sat and wouldn't budge until I started walking home. Pretty funny but I don't want to repeat that mistake.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good morning good people. The "winter fatigue" saga continues. While we didn't get as much as everyone else, we picked up several inches over the last couple of days. When I got up at 5:00 AM and saw a full moon, I knew I was in trouble. Sure enough, -7°.  Enough! I'm crying "uncle" already

Glad you had fun at the comedy club Holly. Isn't it nice that your kids are old enough that you don't have to worry about babysitters any more? (or the fact that they won't fight all night while you're gone)

What does the "wacky winter activity party" include Jay? Sounds like fun! Good luck with the snow removal.

Great workout for you and your DS this morning C-R.  You guys are freaky fast!

So off to the Y for yet another treadmill run. 8 miles, trying to do the last 3 or 4 at a half minute pace faster than the first. Legs were spent, but I feel like I'm making progress. Especially after a 45 minute weight session with one of the trainers at the Y yesterday.  DH and I went out for a wonderful dinner with his sister and brother-in-law last night, then we stopped at a local establishment to listen to a small jazz band and have a nightcap. A really nice evening.

Headed back to the Y to watch Will and Ben's swim lessons. Little Nicholas turns one next week. Not sure how DS#1 and my DIL do it. Three kids under age 4...

Great shoot-out between the US/Russia hockey teams this morning. Go USA!!!

..mornin' guys//

...me too jylnne.............20's here and Ice

60's next week>>>>>>>>>ya gotta love TheSouth

======

but I digress

....44mprnb

with steps

..............off to Ky after work

...............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Greetings all and Happy Saturday!

Ran mile repeats with Iron J---drove out to a county road with a big shoulder and is always thoroughly plowed---2 mile warm-up and then 5 x 1 mile (2:30), 6:30, 6:26, 6:26, 6:32 (leggings falling down), 6:25 and 2 mile cool down back to our cars (11 miles total)---boring, flat road but good workout and no ice or snow to hurdle.  Happily tired and pumped that we hit our 6:30 targets. One of my teammates is leading a team yoga session this afternoon at one of the yoga studios in town. She’s designed the session for runners and I am looking forward to working out some kinks after all the high miles in this training cycle.

The kiddo and Mr. CNYrunner were still high-fiving and yelling about the USA vs. Russia hockey game when I walked in after my run. Mr. CNYrunner was at the 1980 Winter Olympics and saw the Miracle on Ice and Gold medal games way back when. I had the game tickets framed for him a few years ago and he said today's game excitement transported him right back! Never mind that he was 17 years-old (same age as the kiddo now).

Hope the racers have a great weekend one and all.

King of PhotoShop

C-R, I ought to take Lucy out more often than I do, but after I do my run I don't feel like running or walking with the poor dog, so she doesn't get the exercise she needs.  Today I ran one lap at the park (1.1 miles) and was just not into it, so I went home and got her and took her back to the park where we ran and walked two miles. She knows the word "Run", so if we're walking and I say, "Let's RUN" she takes right off.  Normally 1/4 mile or so, then we walk a bit. But dogs are just like humans.  They have to be trained to run.  No untrained dog could stay with a trained human runner for very long.

Yesterday we went to the second opinion dr. at UT Southwestern Medical in Dallas, which is a teaching hospital and has a great reputation.  The guy we saw is the top dr. in the area at prostate cancer.  He didn't waste any time with false bedside manner or sugar coating. He was annoyed that my PCP waited to make the urology referral after seeing PSA of 4, 8 and 11 in three years. He said, "This is aggressive growth and your dr. should have been more responsible. I'm going to email him and tell him so."  Sure surprised us.

He's performed over 2,500 prostatectomies and more importantly, he tracks every patient for ten years afterwards.  He strongly recommends I have the prostate removed, as chances of recurrence after surgery while the cancer is contained within the prostate are close to 0%. He doesn't like the radiation approach because of the long-term side effects along with a higher recurrence rate.  So to make a long story should, we talked it through afterwards and the Saint and I believe the surgery route is best and I'm looking at May of this year for it to be done.

Our Valentine's Day with the ten dollar ceiling worked out so well! I wrote a poem for her and made her tartlets filled with chocolate ganache and a Dove chocolate. She went ape, so that was a big win for us.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No untrained dog could stay with a trained human runner for very long.

My well-trained and, much to the disgust of my real runner friends,  duly-entered Ger/Shep-Lab mix stayed with me for 26 miles in 1978 but got DQ-ed when he cut across the infield of the high school track.  One year later, he refused to get out of the car.   He was a good ski-jorer in the winter.

Good luck on the May surgery.

Sounds great and a great relief.

Good luck to mari's Mediterranean dinner for your son's friend.

Sounds like he's everyone's friend.

You sure are.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Enough with the snow already. We're all full up here. Oh well, it will be spring in three weeks and it will all magically melt then.

Really? Can I quote you on that?? Ha, I wish. I have a childhood friend whose birthday is April 26. We used to say the snow is always gone by her birthday. Last year was a notable exception. I'm hoping we don't have two awful springs in a row.... Actually, this year has been pretty nice. October was absolutely amazing, the nicest October I remember, with the first "real" snow coming on the 31st. November was colder than crap and we were worried we'd have another deep-freeze winter. But December was mostly pretty nice, with the coldest temps coming around Christmas, but short lived. January was amazing... only a couple of cold days, but the rest was just unbelievably sunny and mild. I think I ran outside more this January than any year ever. Loved it! But, we figured we'd pay the piper in February, and so far it's been cold the last couple of weeks, but certainly not as bad as it could be. Today it's about zero (in town, warmer here), and snowing lightly. Feels like a veritable heatwave! I'm thinking of running our hilly roads here, where it's about 7° currently.

Holly, I agree. The amount of foul-mouthed language most comics use is a total turn off. Another reason I love Paula Poundstone.

Leslie, I bet your club adds more trail races in the future. I agree with Holly that it's surprising you don't have more given your location. Our club has a whole trail series, and I always say I'm going to do more of those, but I usually just do the one 11 miler before the Equinox as a training run. Most require a certain amount of driving to get to the start, and I'm notoriously lazy for that kind of thing.... 

evanflein why is it I have no faith in your view of a January with "only a couple of cold days"?  Maybe it is just me.  Or it may be that you live in the coldest bloody place I have ever heard of? 

Holly S. glad you had a good time.  Few curse words though?  Can that actually be funny? 

NHLA Dam big dam that sounds like!  Sorry, I could not resist.

coastwalker you managed to get most of your snow cleared?  Heck come over here!  I have a pile so high and thick you could stop a tank with it!

C-R  and CNYrunner my DW is keeping us tuned in to the Olympics.  I am not sure why I am not watching.  This is when the events I like take place.  Next week it is . . no please no . . . figure skating!    Ugh!!!!

Jlynne winter fatigue - let me second that and third it and  . . .

tomwhite I would love the south even more with a one way ticket down!

Spareribs well FWIW my colleague who had his prostate removed had a rough time initially but is fully recovered now.  From what he tells me his case is unusual, in that most people find it all goes pretty smoothly.

tetsujin209 for real you ran a marathon (well minus .2 miles of one) with your dog!  How cool is that!

Running news:  The local Boston Buildup Series 20K race from last Sunday was postponed to this Sunday due to snow and ice.  This Sunday it was postponed again to next Sunday due to monumental amounts of snow and ice.  Next Sunday the forecast is for and 80% chance of a "Frozen Mix."  Read, lousy running conditions.  I tell you this race is cursed!  If they would just cancel it the whole winter would go away.  Who knows, maybe never even come back!  That would be so hot!  (Am I on a roll or what today!) [Editor:  That would be a no.]  Since there is no race tomorrow and I really need to work on my distance if I hope to run a marathon this spring off I went for 14 miles, my longest run this winter.  Amazingly, I felt strong the whole way.  No complaints.  Other than the freezing cold temperatures, snow piles all over, ice along the side of the road . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

ribs, I think it puts ones mind at ease (at least a little) when a plan is in place.  Keep us in the loop.

Nice long run for CNY.  Good job on the speedwork for C-R (with son) and CNY.

This morning, I did a small 5K race.  The temp was in the mid to high single digits, there was a little wind, and the roads were almost bare.  My GPS gave me a time of 30:11, a distance of 3.11 miles, and a pace of 9:41.  I was 44/64 OA and 1/1 in my AG (70+).  After the race, a lady that I hadn't talked to before came up to me and said she'd used me as a pacer and had a good race.  She also said she's used me as a pacer in other races.  While we were talking, another lady came up to thank me for pacing her to one of her best races.  I wasn't aware that either one were using me that way but was flattered and happy that I'd played a part in good races for them.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Wow Karyn - those are impressive mile repeats!! Strong work!!

Ribs - glad you have a decision....definitely keep us informed!

Holly - I hardly ever go to comedy shows for that reason too ....so glad you had an enjoyable and clean funny night!!

Jay - ya, you're a slacker!!  yep that's what we call you around here!! Wink

C-R - I so agree with you .... no more snow please!!

I have been hit with my first head cold in at least 2 years and I am not liking it!!  Managed to hit the gym for 6.2 easy miles on the treadmill today but have no idea how I am going to feel for tomorrow's long run Sad

Loading up on fluids, vitamins and going to bed early to see what the morning brings!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So tom, what's your DW's impression of you being used for a boy toy? 

I was going to get out this morning to beat the snow that is now falling, but about 4pm yesterday afternoon we got a call from one of our customers that some of their gear was not behaving and they needed some help.  Both the other electrical engineers were out of the office, so I had to head down to the Port of Providence this morning.  They unload propane from ships and there is a major shortage in the northeast.  because of this, there were at least a dozen tanker trucks waiting around to get filled up.  Didn't actually get it fixed, but got enough of the possibilities out of the way so that they have a pretty good idea of what to fix.  They were happy, so success for us, I guess.

of course, it took long enough that I had to drive home in the snow and it took twice as long as going down.  This the first year that we've gotten Presidents Day off and I had to work on Saturday and I need to leave Monday afternoon for another trip.   maybe next year it will be an actual 3 day weekend.

Good luck tomorrow Mike.  Glad you survived the flight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

NHLA

3 miles 26 min Jackson Park.  race tom   I usually run two good races a year. I hope tom is one of them. I won AG last year. This is one of our biggest races over 1000 runners. Tough course but that helps me.

Maniac 505

A few years ago Amy Yanni and I started a marathon in Wyoming where a dog had permission to run.  The dog had been written up in Marathon and Beyond,  Amy had seen the article.  It was a fairly small dog,  a pound rescue dog, part Shibu Inu.  I ran the first 8 miles with the dog, it's person, and Amy.  the owner had it on a leash and was constantly telling the dog to ease off and slow down.  He said if he turned it loose it would be ahead of every one.

Altitude hurts,  after about 8 miles I backed off a bit.  I finished in a little over 4:15,  the Dog was faster.

tetsujin209 for real you ran a marathon (well minus .2 miles of one) with your dog!  How cool is that!