Masters Running

Stormy Monday 12/10 (Read 436 times)

Hi, Everyone - Gotta get this in here quickly so I can get back to work.

Congrats to Sarge!!

This morning was a perfectly beautiful example of why, even though it takes a monstrous effort to get out of bed at 4:00 a.m., I love running in the predawn hours: crisp and cold with a black cloudless sky chock full of stars, a bright sliver of a moon over which you could see the shadow of the whole moon, quiet streets with hardly a sound except for that of my own foot steps and breathing.  This resulted in 4 sproinky miles with 6x100m strides at the end, followed by an hour of core and upper body strength training.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I crossed this intersection about 10 times with weekend the last one on Saturday was about 15 minutes after the accident.

...I think TrianglePark

is around where we had the 1st BlueGrass 10,000 downtown............that is really sad Sarge.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Sarge- nice work for you, but yes, sad story as well.

Mariposai - Enjoy!  How long will your visit be?

Ribs - nice picture of your boys - handsome fellas, both.

Baboon - 7 kids, wow! And you still have hair!

Leslie - nice workout!

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

My boss seems to think his staff is super-human, as he has scheduled quite a bundle of clients who want to get their cases done "before the end of the year."  (sigh)  Hope we live up to the challenge.  Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Drake, I want to meat T Bone so very bad.

Tom White, When there is singing at races, I sing too.

Butterfly Lady, will you bring me back a stick?

If the cardyoligists wants to give you a shot, you should get a treat too. Just sayin'.

C-R, some races are just for fun fun fun.

That is very sad Sarge. Sad

Dad was not at work today, so we went and got Honey so we could all go run run run! Honey is my niece and she is just annoying. She wants my toys and my treats and she even wants on my side of the car. 

Sometimes I holler on her, but she is just dumb.

Dad drove Mom's car into the woods so I could have the most fun ever.

He said that this is where the curious people turn around. We went way father than that. We got to the place where the smart people turned around. Then we went father. When we got to where the stoopid people turned around, we still kept going.

Dad even kept going past where the crazy people went back. He said that we are adventurers.

I think that means that you will read about us in the news papers. That is the bridge that dad keeps jumping off of when we go run run run when it is hot out.

Honey has to be on a leash because she does not come back when Dad gets scared and screams like a baby.

When it was down hill, Dad kept grabbing on to trees so he would not slide into the river. Every time he did, fluffy ice cream would fall on his old bald head and down his back.

This is not my best side, but it is all you will see if we ever go run run run on my trails. We were out for over an hour. What ever an hour is.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Wow--there was some great runs and races over the weekend.  I was just too busy to post. 

I ran 14  miles on Saturday in 1:41:55.  Probably a little too fast but it felt really good so I just kept the pace.  Then I went to our company's Christmas party.  Boy, what a difference from my last place.  We used to rent out the most luxurious ballrooms in some of the finest hotels and sky rises in the Twin Cities and were served a fancy diinner.  Our party, this year, was in the basement of one of the employees with whatever people brought to share.  I'm not rally passing judgement on which is better...I'm just pointing out the differences

Then on Sunday, we woke up early to drive down to Sioux Falls, SD for Ryan's cross country banquet.  because of the snow that had begun to fall over night, our 4 1/2 hour drive took about 5 1/2 hours.  We left as soon as the banquet was over and it took us 7 1/2 hours to get home.  We were driving 5 to 10 mph and even stopped a few times because of white out conditions.  Of course, when I got home, a driveway full of snow was waiting for me.  Luckily, my neighbor had used his snow blower at some point in the day because, instead of having the whole 16" to shovel, I only had about 6.  I've never said this before but...I think I might want a snow blower.

So...how many of you recieved your drivers license on a Friday and got 16" of snow dumped on the streets over that very weekend?  Yes...the story continues.  We checked in with Eric a few times over the weekend to see how he was doing...okay, we checked in about every hour.  Besides getting stuck a few times, he was gettiing along pretty good.  He did not let a little snow blizzard stop him form driving all over the cities...where, I might add, were over 800 accidents over the weekend.  Of course, he had to get up at and be at work by 5:00, this morning...which is where our story continues....

After driving in blizzrd conditions for 7 1/2 hours, shoveling 6" of snow off our 24' x 45' driveway, the next thing I heard after collapsing in my bed at 11:30 pm was...."Mike!  He's not answering his phone!"  DW had gotten up at 3:45 am to call Eric to make sure he got up in time to go to work.  "What are we going to do?!" She yelled!  "Well, since you woke me up, I guess I'll go pee."  That, probably, wasn't the smartest thing I could have said.   So, I went ahead and called a few times, too.  Nope--he wasn't answering his phone....and his roommate wasn't home for us to wake up to help us out this time.  So...I went back to bed...for about 10 minutes.  I figured I'd better get it over with because, with DW storming around the house, I wouldn't be getting any sleep, anyway.  I drove through the unplowed side streets, then got to the somewhat plowed county roads, then hit the bumpy, hard crusted snow on the "plowed" freeway.  I turned the corner to his apartment and, up ahead, I saw a car on the side of the road.  Sure enough, it was Eric...he had made it half a block then decided to stop and scrape his windows.  Pretty good, I thought...I usually go a couple.  So, I got out and helped him finish it up so he could get on his way.  He goes another half block to the stop sign...and gets stuck.  I get out to help him.  He decides he's better call his work and let them know he is going to be late.  I start scraping snow out from under his wheels...with my hands.  A  guy pulls up, and the two of us get Eric's car unstuck.  Eric, jumps into his car and drives away....with no headlights.  I jump in my car to try to catch him.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see movement on the right side of my windshield.  I look closer and realize that, when Eric got the number out for his work, he laid his wallet on the hood of my car.  I stop quick, grab his wallet, then fly down the road.  He had already realized his headlights weren't on and turned them on...I thought that was pretty good, too...it usually takes me a few blocks to figure that out.  But, I flashed my lights a few times to get him to stop so I could give him his wallet back.  He thanked me and off to work he went.  I drove back home and got another 15 minutes of sleep.  I called him after work to see what his plans were for the evening.  I was very happy to hear that he was planning on going home and staying in for the evening.  DW called him later and found out he drove to his girlfriend's house.  I have not been able to get a hold of him since.  To be continued....

Oh--I went 5 miles on the treadmill, tonight.  It's been so long since I've used the treadmill, I forgot to put it at the 1% incline like I always do.  I was wondering why it felt so easy.  Anyway--5 miles in 37:39.

Okay--that's it!  Gotta go to bed. 

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh--hey--Avenger Doggie.  I like his stories a whole lot better than mine!

I like both of your stories!

It sounds like Eric's testing his new-found freedom, just like any kid wants to when he/she gets his/her driver license.  It's just too bad it's with so much snow!  Sounds like he's continuing to do well, though.  Last night, I read your latest installment in "Adventures with Eric" and was telling The Hub about Eric's transformation.  He sounds like he's happy, Mike, that makes me Big grin.

Okay - Did some more transcription tonight.  Now for a hot shower and bed.  Nitey night ~ Sleepy

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I've never said this before but...I think I might want a snow blower.

Mike, how about a dump truck with a plow?   Fun to drive, and better than shoveling!  Smile  Great story!  I usually stop to scrape my windshield if the defroster hasn't cleared it up by the time I hit the paved highway 2 miles from home.  I figure I'm safe enough on the dirt roads.  

7 miles today at lunch, with just a light dusting of snow on the trails.  36 degrees felt warm after a high yesterday of just 7 degrees.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey carolyn, does it work up there to put visqueen plastic sheeting

or something on the windshields under the wipers?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Mike you are one good daddy! I am most impressed what you had to do to make sure your son was OK. Ohh btw, I am with you about the different work world you now have. Have been there and still trying to adapt to the new me three years later.

I am grateful that our two sons have never given us a stressful day like MikeE had  today, but hey...we did have the...two car accidents in less than six months and now we are paying huge money for insurance...ohhh the privilege of being parents! But what an honor to be parents!

Today I rather enjoy seeing the picture of older Ribs brother with the younger Riblet on his HM debut!

Avenger doggie, I promise you that I will bring a stick for you from my homeland!

Only 2 miles for me tonight, plus some core and yoga. I was too distraught to be focused for more.

I think I willed my son to connect with me from Denmark tonight with all my yoga move...shish..he left on Thursday and we finally heard from him today.Roll eyes.

Speaking of yoga, were is OrangeMat?

Opie, is everything all right? We have not seeing you much here lately.

Hope4ever how are the puppies?

Well, I better go off to bed. Another crazy long day awaits!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard