Masters Running

nerdy thursday 11/07/19 - are you a nerd? (Read 39 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I know it doesn't make me a nerd in this group (and "nerd" would be too nice a word for my other groups that have no idea about my running penchants anyway) but I woke up at 2:58 on the red LED this morning and, thinking of what other people do when they wake up at that hour, I didn't even bother trying to go back to sleep so got up and headed out for the nearest-by parks to  crunch through as many leaves that the city hasn't been able to remove yet as possible but only for a 3 mile run not a nerd-worthy 10.2.  It was 44° when I started out, but the temp kept dropping and it was 40° by the time I got back but the heavier duty gloves I wore kept my hands from getting chilly.  Legs were warm enough in regular cutoffs as the only time I've ever worn tights has been for cross country skiing which is what I'll do if it's so cold to have to wear tights for running.  Now gotta go do something truly nerdy and rake the lawn so there isn't a single leaf on it when DW wakes up.  Love ya!

Image may contain: night, sky, outdoor and water

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

41°

Ralph and I found the parking lot empty and wondered why no one included us on the message...

As we were contemplating our next move, Tricia pulls in and says Bruce is out so I came down here. You see, Tricia had not been running with the Tuesday/Thursday group for quite a while.

So this all worked out. I was not feeling particularly energetic so I told Tricia and Ralph to go ahead. It was funny because they would route around to pick me back up as we ran through the college.  All in all less than an hour of running and walking for me.

Tet. I am more of a dork than a nerd.

THE WEIRD thing that happened this morning was that I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting a buck running across the street right in front of the admissions office! Because I am deer savvy, I knew to wait for the next one. There is never just one deer running across a street.

Alas. The best laid plans...as I cautiously advanced, the second deer ran right into my car! I heard that disgusting thud and came to realize the second deer plowed head on into the window/door right behind the driver's door/window.

I was stunned. Paused for a moment. There was one car behind  driving as cautiously as me. I wonder what they thought of the scene in front of them?

No damage to my car. We couldn't find the deer.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nerd? Dork? I don't know what classification I qualify for, and I don't know if it is up to me, instead of others, to make that determination. So I guess that just makes me confused.

Tet, the problems with waking up early occur when we start thinking about stuff immediately instead of staying unfocused and drifting back to sleep. Doesn't it seem awfully loud to crunch through leaves early enough in the morning that there are very few other sounds? Sometimes, I'm afraid I might wake people, although, of course, the crunch only seems loud to me, and other folks (except Tet) continue on their dream journeys without any crunch-awareness at all. Tet, to answer your question from some days ago - I mulch most of the leave on my lawn and leave them there over the winter. For the rest, I use a backpack blower, and I won't be doing that before most people are awake.

That is very scary, RCG! I hope you and your car and the deer are OK. You are so right - where there is 1 deer running, there are almost always 1-2 more.

I've never been to a Waffle House, and so can't comment on those comments. When DW and are are traveling, we usually try to find a neighborhood's favorite local place for breakfast. Most of the time it pays off with a tasty meal and some good local color.

I didn't wake up as early today as yesterday, but it was still a bit early, so I was out the door by 4. It was 30° and, unlike Tet, I did wear tights (and a windbreaker and cap and light mittens). I went 7.2 RW miles without pushing too, too hard because I went longish yesterday, and thought that a decent moderate pace would do the job for today, and it did.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, tet.  You are up and out seriously early!   Don't mow the lawn that early!     Buehrle- I'm glad you are deer savvy.  That can be very scary and dangerous. We've had some real tragedies around here.  Glad no damage to your car, too!

Raining outside so did 4.4 boring treadmill miles.  I have a happy hour thing after work, so that will be it for the day.    Have a nerdy Thursday, y'all.    (Vanderbilt won!  First win in 2019 after the 0 and 18 last season.   Strange to have Scottie Pippen in the stands watching his son.)

My daughter got engaged!  They are into skulls and cemeteries, and he lined up a private cemetery tour and proposed in the cemetery.  Other tours applauded.  The ring was in a tiny casket that he had 3D printed.    So- all is well at least with one kid!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Congrats to K, Karen! Sounds perfect. 

It’s definitely deer season- and yes they are generally always in groups. 

I’m on an earlier train to go to a morning program- accounting and tax roundtable for private funds CFO’s and such. It’s at Soho Club so I did not bother to dress as nice as usually might- and it’s freezing! We’ll see if I guessed right on that. 

In the low 20’s, and since I didn’t have much time opted for 3.1 on the treadmill. I’ve had a bunch a short mileage days lately- oh well I guess!

Have a good day everyone.

Anne

...sorry I missed the Great Grits Controversy yesterday.....

when we moved here

the first time I ordered breakfast, they automatically brought Grits with it

I looked

at Pickles

and said   ''We're Home''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I was at the office yesterday and didn't get in a workout. Holy Smokes, the work lined up through the end of the year is overwhelming! And on top of that I am taking time off to move my mother-in-law and then move us.  I hope I can hold it together.

Rainy morning so I went to the gym for an easy 2. I have my planned "make-up half" on Saturday so I am taking it easy.

Cindy and I like Waffle House ok, but it is mainly our place to go when nothing else is open. When we are heading home at 5:00 AM from visiting the family in Florida we always stop at one for breakfast.  Once 7:00 AM rolls around there other choices available that we usually pick.

FEMA uses a Waffle House Index to judge the severity of a natural disaster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

Fun fact: 2+ decades ago, Waffle House was one of our clients. (They were self-insured and we processed their medical claims.)

Henrun

No leaf crunching or munching here since we’re city condo dwellers and I don’t miss it. Nice to look at the changing colors though..

Scary about that deer RCG, glad the car and you are OK.

My app told me that my combined run and walking yesterday was 7.6 miles(not sure how accurate that app is, but I’ll take it). 2 mile power walk this morning.

Marathon Maniac #957

No damage to my car. We couldn't find the deer.

Whew!

So, my friend Aneta is RDing a 24/12/8 hour endurance run on 4/8/20.  Dare I sign up?  I would be interested in the 12-hour option.  Just hoping I can be recovered and ramped up and uninjured by then.

Early morning meeting left me short on time, so I just got in 2 walking miles on the TM.

The good news - my PCP gave me the go ahead to start some gentle walk-running - nothing too strenuous, but it is a start.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New Orleans Cemetery Tour Engagement!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Congrats to your daughter, KSA!!

I lived in PNW for two years, and we had a group that met at Denny's for dinner once a week.  I ordered grits, because they were on the menu.  The waitress argued with me for a bit, saying they didn't have grits.  Then she said, "Are you sure you want to order that?"  Then they finally came out, with a side of brown sugar and raisins.    But I kept that Denny's stocking grits for two years!

My quartet rehearses at one member's house, and she lives in a gated community.  Yesterday as I was driving in, there were two deer standing in the road.  So I drove up to them, nose-to-nose.  They just stood there.  So I beeped my horn.  I kid you not, they flipped me off before they strolled out of the road.  Clearly those folks feed their deer, and they have zero natural predators around there (esp. since the speed limit in the community is 25).

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Shoot, meant to weigh in on my potential nerd-dom.  I have a doctorate in analytical chemistry.  Yeah, I think I probably qualify.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

...rainy and falling temps all day here....

40-min x-bike

=========

having professed

my Love of   Biscuits/gravy, eggs and grits

I have

to add

Pickles didn't like me eating eggs every day

so

about 25-years ago I switched to a Banana Milkshake for breakfast

(it was easier

than arguing)

now

my Ideal Breakfast is only a Treat on Special Occasions

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

I've been away so long....wear to begin.....

RCG just so you know, deer say the same thing about runners.

I was nerdy when nerdy wasn't cool.

My wife threw me a surprise 50th birthday party with a Dilbert theme but I was an hour and a half late to it because I was cleaning my cubicle on a Saturday afternoon. 

I haven't been here for a while because I've been just so dang busy!   In a good way, mostly.  My most notable exercise "thing" is that for the month of November I am swimming in a "swim-athon" (it's just me) in order to raise money for research into Degos Disease.  It's just about the rarest disease on Earth.   My friend's son died from it last year, when he was 26.  He was one of about 5 people in the world known to have the systemic version of Degos.    So, I'm swimming 20 miles (my goal) in November and soliciting my friends to donate either a flat donation amount or to pledge so much per mile.   As of today, 7 days in (5 swimming days), I'm at 5 and 5/8 miles.   9,900 yards. 

Most mornings I'm up at 3:30 to 4:00, have my coffee, then breakfast, then to the pool after 6:00.   My longest swim to date was November 1, at 2,700 yards (1.5 miles) and shortest was 1,500 yards (about 0.85 of a mile or so), trying to average one mile per day on the days that I swim and aiming for 20 swimming days out of 30 calendar days.  Right now I'm averaging 1900 yards, or almost 1.1 miles, per swim .    I have a wild-a$$ goal of raising $2,500 but realistically it won't be 1/10 of that, I don't think, other than what my wife and I throw in ourselves, so it doesn't look so lame.

Leaves - we had high winds on Halloween night, and the few deciduous trees that are still in my yard went from having all of their leaves still on, to all of their leaves on my neighbors' lawns.  Mine was blown clean!   I feel not even a little guilty.  By March all of our neighbors' oak tree leaves (they hang on into the winter) will be all over my lawn, under the snow.

Today, I finally get to have my follow-up with the doctor that performed my "routine" colonoscopy back in September and found Crohns Disease.   From what I have been able to read on the subject,  I am in remission.   There are infusions of some drug that he wants me to take that will, reputedly, keep me in remission.   I am dubious about medicating what ain't broke.   But my General Practitioner, whom I have been seeing for almost 30 years now, told me that if I was his son he would say "Take It" (emphatically). 

My 21-year-old daughter's 22-year-old boyfriend has asked me to meet him for a drink tonight.  He wants, no doubt, to ask for my blessings, as we've known they want to get married for a couple of years now.  He is being deployed in the middle east in January, for about a year, then returning, then probably re-upping with the Army NG.   I have a lot to think about.   That is going to be right after my meeting with the doctor.  I may get to the bar a couple of drinks ahead of him. 

Brian

BTY - Good luck with the pre-proposal.  I made The Hub asks my parents if he could marry me.  I'm almost 100% sure they were less than thrilled, but kept their tongues.  I don't think most gave us a snowball's chance in hell, but out of the 5 cousins that were close (me, my brother, and 3 girl cousins), The Hub and me and my cousin, Sheila, are the only ones who haven't been divorced.

KSA - Congrats on soon being an in-law.

SteveP - Don't forget to let us know what hatches.

Ziggy was having some mental moments during the night, so I was up and down from about midnight 'til about 3:30.  For a brief moment at 3:30 I contemplated just staying up, but gave in to too little sleep and went back to bed.  Then, instead of getting up and running into work before my dental appt at 9:00, I decided to stay home, make myself some breakfast, and watch one of my recorded shows ("This Is Us".  LOVE that show!).  It was a nice relaxing morning and I got an A+ at my dental cleaning.

Okay - Gotta get to it.  Enjoy ~~

Image result for thursday images funny

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance