Masters Running

Thursday, 7.21.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, HERE is a link to a site that provides some average costs for PT. This is just the first one I found, but I'm sure there are many other sites that provide the same/similar info. The site's guesstimates are nowhere near $1,000/hour! Keep fighting that bill and, as Twocat suggested yesterday, go public if you have to. Meanwhile, I'm glad you are continuing (on your own) with those expensive PT exercises. Keep them up, and maybe test your knee once a week or so till you are sure it is sound.

Jlynne, I know you'll do the right thing for DS2, be it helping him out, letting him face his financial issues on his own, or something in between. Mike put it very well yesterday when he said that if you think it is the right thing to do, then it is the right thing to do. I don't think the parenting manual covers this kind of situation, so just trust your instincts.

Nice binge, Tet. Let us know how the tri goes this weekend.

Good luck with DD, the heat, and Mr. Starr, Starr. Smart move to get BIL and SIL to help with DD's situation. How did Mr. Starr's cardio appointment go yesterday. Keep working on getting both of you out for bike rides together (at whatever speed), and do sign up for that Master's swim class.

Welcome back, TW! Sorry about the heat you came back to.

Congrats on having run your 50K pain-free, WildChild, and on recovering so quickly. You are amazing!

Welcome back to you too, Lamerunner. Sorry about your knee and DS's eye - I hope things do turn around quickly for him, even if he still has to miss the ski camp. Definitely get a new knee brace is the old one was helping before it started falling apart. Given your sore knee, it is impressive that you were able to get in some good trail miles yesterday.

RCG, I agree - why not ask the guys to help around the house, especially while you can't? DW and I have a pretty equitable division of household duties because it is only fair that neither one of us has to shoulder the full load.

Hi Enke. Congrats to MBE on his short bike ride (right !), and good luck to you on your interviews. I hope you do have choices about which job offer to accept!

It seems that you got reasonable advice from the podiatrist, Evanflein. I hope the foot pain gets no worse.

Dave, it seems that we all have to be more persistent about finding out ahead of time what medical tests and procedures will cost. And it appears that it is going to have to be us, the patients, who train the medical profession to provide that info on a regular basis. Meanwhile, good run, at any speed.

Hi Deeze. yes we can say OUCH! I hope your hand feels better today, and that it doesn't stop you from enjoying your next 5 days off.

My goal for this morning's workout was to have an average pace in the 11s. 1st mile (including my easy warm up) was 12:57. #2 should'a been on target, but it was 12:07. So I got PO'd and got down to business, and the rest of my total of 6.6 miles were in the lower 11s, giving me an average pace of 11:43 overall.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

Gosh, I am .....<trying to find word or words>....for:

1. the parenting issues that persist even beyond adulthood;

2. all the owies and pain  (altho Erika, you got a relatively ok report--ok as you are taking it as "I can take pain so I'm good."  Glad for that, but--)

3. cost of the owies is ridiculous.

So all I got is sympathy.   No solutions or advice.

I also have heart burn over the level of hatred that so many people are intent on expressing just about everywhere one turns.  Thank you everyone here for creating and maintaining a warm, caring spot where we try to maintain a level of civil discourse and compassion for one another.

And I ran.  A little yesterday, longer this am.  And fortunately, there is baseball and there are lots of lovely novels.

Thinking of finding a dock on the river where I can just go sit.  And look at the water.  And maybe "my" bridge.

Image result for edison bridge ft myers  marina terrace

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Way too much swirling around today for even a second thought of taking advantage of the sunny morn for a morning ‘mute, . . . until, while getting my morning masters fix for amy’s very same, nicely-articulated reasons,  jay’s reminder of my running binge for the DL ‘ ers .

Thank you everyone here for creating and maintaining a warm, caring spot where we try to maintain a level of civil discourse and compassion for one another.

Three sunny miles in now seven consecutive running days for the third time in my life since once in 1985 and then, totally inadvertently, two weeks ago. Tormorrow’ll be lifetime PR of eight days in 40 years of running.

Ran to a little pocket park in the industrial area on the waterfront immediately south of town for amy’s very same, nicely articulated dock reasons.  However, the diesel fumes I knew would be masking the tidal fragrances of yesteryear are now mixed in with it recently becoming one of Seattle’s many drug-plagued homeless encampments.  Didn’t bother two cute little bunny rabbits looking at each other with the biggest brown eyes next to a chain link fence they couldn’t get under.  Reminded me of the alabaster statuary lions guarding the entrances to hotels, restaurants and office buildings in Singapore days a half century ago before I became a runner.  Somehow, almost everything nowadays seems to remind me of something from those daysl. No wonder I love running so much. 

Thinking of finding a dock on the river where I can just go sit.  And look at the water.  And maybe "my" bridge.

Image result for edison bridge ft myers  marina terrace      .........      

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly's bill has left me (almost) utterly speechless.  If I understood correctly, the cost would have been less if you'd gone to a doctor's office instead of the hospital?  If so, maybe call around to doctor offices and find out if any actually offer PT in-office.  If so, find out how much they would charge for the therapy services you received.m. Arm yourself with as much information as possible before you head into battle and force them to justify their rates. That bill leaves me totally flabbergasted.

not a whole lot going on here . . . for now.  Although I have managed to do some damage at a couple of Goodwill stores in the area.  ðŸ˜€  We're headed to downtown Portland this afternoon so I can attempt to eat my way through some of the city's famous food trucks.  I'm justifying it by saying I need to bank some of those calories I'll be burning in less than 48 hrs.  (Sounds reasonable if you say it fast.)

Later . . . . .

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Ran and race walked some this morning by Chatham lighthouse and yes the views and water heal the soul. Whale watching was awesome - lots of humpbacks - who knew they were identified by their tales.  Chose to

watch rather then take pix

good luck on bills, family issues, and ouchies

back home & hoping to hit farmers market this afternoon

aamos - well said marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck to all of you on the DL - hope you're all back to running sooner rather than later!

Leslie - GOOD LUCK this weekend!  Hope you meet your goals and have fun!

Amy, I agree about the haven we've all created here.  You guys are the best.

I ran 6 trail miles this morning with 4 of my ultra runner women friends.  They're so fun and supportive!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - GOOD LUCK this weekend!  Hope you meet your goals and have fun!

+1

Jlynne - what Mike said...

No time, again, but I am almost caught up enough at work to feel less worried on vacation...

1 mile trotting this morning (not better yet) and 40 minutes on the bike trainer.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wildchild,

Congrats to you on the great 50 miler!!!!  Most of all it sounds like with little or no set backs.

Erika,

Grrrrrr!  $500.00 to find out you are doing the right thing. I guess peace of mind is worth it?????

Holly,

like everyone here I'm floored. It should open all our eyes and not be shy about getting everything set up front. It's the world we live in. There is no common decency or feelings of guilt by people that would commit such a thing.

5 miles for me tonight. Just regular pace not easy not tempo so not sure what to call it other than  that.  Fresh fried zuccini and summer squash rolled in corn meal and Cajun seasoning with Parmesan and marinara dip.  Yummmm. That along with fresh cantaloupe and dinner is served.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Nice recovery, Wildchild!

Good luck and have fun, Fatozzig!

Nice streaking there, Tetsujin! You're doing great! Sorry to hear about some of the development around Seattle though...

Holy Smokes, Holly! Those really are outrageous prices. Are those considered allowable charges under your health plan? Or will the insurance knock some of that down? Even if it only applies to deductible, you should still get the credit for the insurance negotiated discounts. Follow up on that! I can't believe that's a place in Ohio....

So, I never did get out for a run yesterday. I found out I left my running gear in the truck when DH dropped me off at work after my dr. appointment. He offered to bring it up, but it was already pretty late and I just didn't want to. Another day off wouldn't hurt, might help, right?

Last night it rained all night. Everything is so soaked! It's rained lightly off and on all day, but I still want to venture out for a run. Just time it so I don't have to come back all drippy.

The Gold Discovery Run on Sunday is going to be a mudfest for the first 8 miles. Goal will be to not fall in the mud.

ETA: Hi Larry! Yes, I think that bill was kind of high (my doc) but it was worth it to me to be sure things were ok and I wouldn't hurt it more by running on it. He said carry on but be careful, so that's good enough for me!

Mariposai

So, I never did get out for a run yesterday. Another day off wouldn't hurt, might help, right?

I did the same. I woke up this morning at 5am and felt no desire to run, which means...I am pushing my limits and I need to back off, or  I will get injured and menopause is the ruler of my life for the next decade.

So no activity at all today and I will see how feel tomorrow. I tell you, this menopause sleepless nights are getting to me. arhh. But then again, I celebrate being a girl

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard