Masters Running

Saturday the 16th Fun and Runs Daily (Read 48 times)

Tramps, I assume pretty flat route?  Regardless, quite an acheivement.

Opie, nice race and award.

Happy Birthday Tall.

OM- nice run!

5 muddy trail miles.  Nice temp, about 47F?  Saw a car in the parking lot with 3 100 mile endurance run stickers from different races.  Another car had a " >26.2 " sticker, which I thought was fun.  Lots of housework and packing today.  Arizona, sunshine and 75F tomorrow!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Thanks for the kudos. Sweet run after yesterday’s 12 and a great way to start the weekend.  Perfect mid-30s temps.

Nice racing, Opie!

Ribs—didn’t something like this happen before?  I seem to vaguely remember a story about a client who turned out to be a runner.

Stumpy—ouch.  Hope it’s not too sore tomorrow.  BTW, why do you have two dogs with the same name?

Erika—Yeah, no big hills, just rollers.  I picked the route intentionally.

The graphs are easily accessible from the individual workout screen using the “graphs” tab, and then “publish.”

Tall—wow!  That sounds sweet.

C-R—how about an area rug that absorbs sound but can be rolled up and stowed away when you want a cleaner look?

CNY—good to hear from you.  That sounds like one tough run.

Nice running, OM—overachieving and all!

Tom—nice of you to stick around.  I hope your DW’s feeling better soon.

Enke—I just saw one of those >26.2 stickers today, too.  Funny. I don’t know who it belonged to, though.

Coffee break's over. Back to cleaning. Sad

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tramps--do you remember "I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl"?  Well, that's not why.  Joking

Max #2 and Sadie are our Max's canine cousins that were visitng us up in Maine last summer.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps - nice long run - your looking good for any upcoming marathons etc.

Opie - Congrats on the Age Group Award - it is always nice especially when you don't expect it.

Ribs - it really is a small world and i think it has gotten much smaller as technology has progressed, very cool indeed.  By the way I agree with Sarge, who wouldn't want to meet the "Legendary Spareribs"?  I know I am looking forward to that day sometime in the not too distant future.

Sarge - Nice 10 miler with the DW!

Stumpy - I hope that fall doesn't cause you any issues, you have to be so cautious with snow covered grounds.

Erika - -20 degrees, yeah you can have that!  I think you need to get that Flat Screen for your TM runs!

Tall - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and you may need to run a double if you eat all that good stuff twice as in your double post.

C-R - Nice run today, smart idea not doing too much before your half next week, maybe I should start paying attention.  Good luck with the floor decision, we are going thru that with our Sun Room, it currently has carpet and DW doesn't like it, she wants hard wood which I am fine with, I am just not looking forward to doing it

CNY - Now that sounds like a nice '"hill" run.

OM - Nice Long Run - it looks like you and I were on the same "stoopid" plan of hills the day before a long run!

Lyndenrunner - Nice 6 miler .

TomS - Nice 8 miles on the TM, I hope everything is OK with DW, you did the right thing sticking around for her.

Enke - Sounds like you had a nice 5 mile muddy run.

Nice group long run today  - 20.15 Miles - 3:00:30 (8:57)

I had to add the .63 at the end because I forgot to start my Garmin after our water stop at mile 13.75. Luckily I had my iPhone w/the Map My Running App running.  This was a great run with our Rowdie group, snow flurries on & off and the roads were in great shape. My legs were shot by the last few miles after yesterdays 6 miles of hills. I have to remember not to do that again the day before a long run.

wildchild

Carolyn

Beautiful graph, Tramps!  And nice run, too...

Happy B-day Tall!

Nice even splits on that long run, OM!

Enke, have a greta time in Arizona.  How long are you going for?

Opie, congrats on the AG hardware.

Nice 20 miler, Maine!

Sorry about the -20, Erika!

It was cold and windy at home this morning, and yesterday's snow was blowing and drifting like crazy.  But it was IRC down in the flatlands for my 10 mile race.  I got a 3 minute PR, but only 4th in my AG.   And no beer afterwards... but they had coffee and fruit and muffins.  And I saw Mtnchk and her DH there.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...Good Idea twocat//........I'll try to ButtDance in the chair............

worse thing

that could happen is they'll make me go home.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Good evening!  Some nice winter runs today!  Sorry, no time to shout-out though (except HAPPY BIRTHDAY TALL!). I'm working on getting all our tax paperwork organized for a meet with the tax professional tomorrow.

17 slow and sluggish miles for me this morning in 17 degrees.

Very tense basketball game for DD tonight.  She was amazing, and the other team was tough, and the whole game was an edge-of-the-seat thriller.  We won, but the competition was fierce. I don't know who is more tired at the end of those games, the kids or the parents...Joking

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wild, the answer is, not long enough!!!

One of my email accounts has been down for 3 days.  I finally got around to calling tech support.  They informed me that someone from New Jersey (I am sure it is not OM!) has access to my account, and REMOTE ACCESS TO MY HOME COMPUTER.  Nice.  They gave me a different phone number to call, and it led nowhere.  Really frustrated, and a bit freaked out.  Has anyone dealt with this kind of problem before???

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

arf

MM #405

Hi All..........14 Turtle miles for me today,  just happy I gotter done.....I saw a dead fox at the side of the road Sad

Tramps - that is very very beautiful!

Opie and Wild - Congrats both of you for awesome racing today!

Ribs - EVERYONE knows you!

Crypoor Stumpy`s rump

Tall - Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!  the desert sounds TO DIE FOR

Hol and OM - Excellent 17 milers.......you girls Rock!

Enke - thinking about you and hope all is well.......have a ball in AZ!

Tom S - You are one sweet and caring hubby, nice 8 miles

off to my mom`s for dinner...have a great night

Bushrat Runner

Wow, what an inspiring group!

Tramps, love the progression run. I haven't done a good progression run for quite a while, but I love the feeling of a good one. It really gets to feeling like progress when you can do them well. A couple marathons where I ran fairly well (for me) I remember getting to those doggy miles around mile 23 and thinking that I had felt like this before and then ratcheted the pace down near the end of a progression run...so by golly I wasn't slowing down now...

Tall...what time did you say we should come over?

In my quest to run occasionally, I got out the door with Mo and Choco again today, but failed to take any photos. It was pretty bleak looking, so I just never saw something worth pulling the phone out. After seven weeks of spring, winter came back yesterday, sort of. It dropped down to zero, and this morning we ran 7 miles at 7 F. Which felt pretty nice. But we just got our run in and now the wind has picked up and is throwing icy needles around...snow tends to be very small flakes whenever it is snowing and colder than 20 F, and the little flakes driven by wind really can hurt. So we timed it right.

I might even get inspired and try to run again Monday, as I'll have part of the day off (scheduling mistake has me working part of the day, but we decided we better go ahead and do it as it has taken a couple months to schedule this meeting with some of our cooperators).

Meanwhile, DW is back from her lovely Hawaii vacation and trying to talk us into planning another one with her. Which sounds good. We'll just have to make it happen, maybe in two years we can do it. Right now budgets are a little in flux, we are in a big project on our airplane, and may get a slightly bigger version of the same airplane, which would obviously affect the budget even more until we sell the current one...

Airplanes are fun though, so it is all good. Sort of like running shoes.

evanflein

Yikes, Enke, that would freak me out! Time to unplug.... The the >26.2 sticker is pretty cool.

Nice job on the race, Wildchild!

Troy, not sure many outside of Alaska would really get that airplane comment. It does seem like some folks collect them though. Nice job on getting out there today; I just couldn't make myself do it.

It warmed up here a bit, it's about 7° here now but a little breezy. I stuck to the TM plan and got 7.1 miles done in 1:01, exactly. That's pretty cool. I can't wait for spring... at least then they plow the bikepaths to get rid of the hardpack and the outdoor options for running improve tremendously.

TammyinGP

great progression run Tramps!

Very consistent splits, OM! That's what I was hoping for today at my race.

Happy birthday tall!

I would like to meet the legendary Ribs also. and since I'm in the market for a vehicle, I could use some tips on negotiation skills also.

I hope your wife's back is better tselbs!

David ran a 5K this morning. I ran the HM.

I'll start with the good news (which is about him of course). He not only PR'd , but he also has the new course record for his AG and came in 1st in his AG. Previous PR was 20:00. today he ran 19:57. Came in 8th overall. He was real happy with his race and how he did.

I ran the HM and for some reason just really have a hard time getting under 2 hrs anymore.  I'm still struggling to drop about 8 lbs I gained over the winter when I hardly ran, but ate too much. and I guess these early season races are tough too. at least those are my excuses I'm coming up with .

2:00:46. I think I was 14th female?

splits: 8.39. 8.49, 8.45, 9.06, 9.07,  9.03, 9.08, 9.06, 9.10, 9.10, 9.24, 9.39, 9.44

first 10 miles felt great and I'm hopefully for a good Pear Blossom 10 mile race in April. Obviously, I just need to start getting in some good quality running past 10 miles also because that's where I fell off. yeah, started out too quick too. Roll eyes

Tammy

Bushrat Runner

Erika, I meant that airplanes are like running shoes in that you need them in order to 'get out there' and getting new ones is fun. Of course 'new' is a little different with airplanes, as truly new ones are unlikely to ever be on my list of options.

I didn't mean collecting them like all the used up shoes. But there is a long history of that as well, as you obviously have noticed. I would like to both get mine fully operational and get another, but that's not really in the financial picture, so we will have to see whether ours can be sold as a project if we are going to have a good chance to get the one I'd like.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, yes.  It has happened many times, but always after i got there and some subject came up at dinner or something. This one took me by surprise. And CNY is correct. I used to use "Spareribs" to keep the running separate from my profession, when I went out on my own in 2001. But now it's an asset I think.

Tammy:  "I'm in the market for a vehicle, I could use some tips on negotiation skills also."

A common tactic in negotiation is when your counterpart says, "Okay, why don't we split the difference?" I bet you have all heard this at one time or another. Let's suppose we are X dollars off, and I use X because you could be talking about a used lawnmower where X is $40, a car where X is $600, or a home where the difference is very big, several thousand dollars.

So Tammy, on the car, where the difference is $600, the dealer says "Tell you what, let's just split the difference."  Now suppose he wants $9,000 and you are willing to pay $8,400, and he wants to split the difference.  It's so easy to say "Okay."

Never do this.  He has just told you he is willing to take $8,700.  Always split THAT difference. Offer $8,600, for example. But the point is, never cave to "Let's split the difference."

Here is another. You go into a box store and look at an appliance, or ANY retail product desired!  The price is $249.99. You talk to the salesperson about features, other products you are looking at, and he or she tells you the price. It costs you absolutely NOTHING, to simply say, "Is that the best you can do?"

Ask this question every time you make a purchase.  Sometimes you will look foolish, but it costs you nothing to ask it, and you will be surprised at how often you get a better price.

Of course none of these ideas apply to my upcomng project, but they are just a few of the useful tactics in negotiation one-on-one in the retail business. I bet I know 20 of these little tactics.  Try them out. I make my living teaching stuff like this. They work.  Spareribs

Sweet run, Tramps!

And nice placing, Opie!!

If the >26.2 was on an ultra runner's car, he/she probably got the sticker from Ultrarunnerpodcast.com.

21 miles of climbing today.  My legs are very tired.  My Garmin lost the satellite connection at Mile 2.12, so I have no idea of the total elevation gain, but I did three climbs up this:

Wow, that picture's big!  Anyway, I tried to talk myself out of going up it three times but I couldn't face running the 3-mile out and back more than necessary.  Didn't time my first round trip up/down, but the 2nd one took me 1:20 total, and the third one 1:25.  Six hours later, I finally got back to the car.  The climb pales in comparison to Wildchild's "hills," but it worked me.  I feel better than I thought I would, but am glad tomorrow is a rest day.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance