Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 5.9.18 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

After 6 meetings in the last 2 days (only 1 more today), the work is piled up in front of me, so I'm going to make this a quick walk-by.

I was tempted to sleep in this morning, but that lasted only about 5 minutes. So I went 5.1 RW miles under clear skies with about a 6/16th moon and 45° temps.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

'morning Jay and those to follow.  Trying to take it easy on the pain in my butt.  2.1 miles outside.  Busy work day for me, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Morning all.

Busy work days for Jay and Karen, Take some time to smell the flowers.

2 miles and some core work to start the day. Second run tonight with the club.

Enjoying the nice weather.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Mike--it's taken a few years to learn that lesson here. I actually think the adversities of the regular season (and not cruising to the President's trophy) helped prepare them better.  But what do I know?

Falcon--you've got to give us a chance every couple of decades. 

Steve--hope things work out for you on the work front.

For everyone with a birthday this year, here's a nicely done explanation of the "birthday paradox" about people sharing birthdays. Consider it a "happy birthday," belated or early or whatever.

Five mile run for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Steve--that's what we're here for.  I imagine that there are many companies about that only function because of employees like you.  You'd hope there would be a way of incorporating a Steve into the actual process so that the real Steve doesn't melt into a little puddle of flop sweat.

Another day in paradise, AKA construction punch list/startup.  Both mechanical and electrical are competing to see who can screw up the schedule the worst.  Mechanical seems to be winning at the moment. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

to take it easy on the pain in my butt.  2.1 miles outside. 

Please be careful KSA. A word of warning from someone who's been through what you're going through.

Thanks for the recap Jay.

We've been following the Stanley Cup process here too Tramps. And NBA basketball, and Brewer baseball, and golf on the weekends....

The world needs more employees like you Steve. Unfortunately, there seems to be less of you and more of the other folks who just collect paychecks but don't really earn them. You deserve better.

I've been lurking, and ^5's to all of you who are racing and running strong. Get out there for me.

Skip this part if you have better things to do:

I went in for an MRI on my back a couple of weeks ago. The disk at L5-S1 was herniated once again (surgery on this exact same spot in 2011).  The herniated disk was pushing on the nerve in my lower back going down into my right butt cheek, so that every time I tried to run it was like someone was stabbing me in that area with a steak knife. The steroids and muscle relaxers the spine doctor prescribed did nothing to alleviate the pain, so yesterday I went in for a lumbar epidural injection on both sides of my back. The doc said he hit the targeted areas right on and that this "may provide relief" but there's no guarantees. If this doesn't work, the next step is another surgery.  No running for at least two more weeks. Even though he cleared me to use the elliptical and other cardio equipment at the Y, I can just feel my running fitness slipping away from me. And at age 65, not sure I'll ever get it back. I'm trying to stay positive because I know in the big picture life, my problems are minor compared to so many other folks. It just stinks, 'ya know?

Run a few for me today. And thanks

JLynne-  I bet the epidural injection will help.  I had those in 2011 and it did the trick.  Mine this go-round is not nearly that bad.  I know what you are talking about, though.   I could definitely make this worse if I'm not careful, but in 2010-11 I could barely stand the pain.  This feels more like I've had a shot in the butt.

Gotta love my new favorite client, though!  He's the president of a company we bought about 18 months ago and is HQd in Scottsdale.  He's an adventure runner and ultramarathoner.  He showed up in my office with a baseball to sit on and I was on my lacrosse ball!   Our business talk turned to running talk, needless to say.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Steve--that's what we're here for.  I imagine that there are many companies about that only function because of employees like you.  You'd hope there would be a way of incorporating a Steve into the actual process so that the real Steve doesn't melt into a little puddle of flop sweat.

++1

JLynne - Back issues, or any other issue, just is not fun, and there's no need to apologize for letting it all hang out in here.  That's what we're here for.  Hope the injection helps.

10 min of stat bike work this morning with 2 x 1 min "sprints/bursts of speed", followed by about 15 min of core/ST.

Last night walked/jogged 2 miles and felt really good.

Rant On

I usually clean out the fridge here at work . . . .well, 'cause no one else will and sometimes things are moving and scurrying when you open the door.  After some backlash one time, I never throw anything out.  Just stick on the kitchen table and let everyone know if it's not gone by noon, it's headed to the garbage.  And obviously I would never throw out an actually dish.  Well, someone's dish from last week is missing and an interoffice email was sent out by the owner wondering where it was and if the the "Kitchen Nazis" had gotten over zealous again.  Guess this didn't go over well with the office manager and the person got a butt-chewin'.  That individual apologized to everyone (via email) and to me alone (via email), but I can't say that I'm sorry she got in trouble.  Total BS on her part, and quite frankly, if she doesn't like how things are done she can do it herself . . . but of course that never happens.  Okay . . . enough . . .

Rant Off

Time to dive into the day ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

For everyone with a birthday this year, here's a nicely done explanation of the "birthday paradox" about people sharing birthdays. Consider it a "happy birthday," belated or early or whatever.

Very interesting math on that.

I hit the gym this morning. 2 miles on the treadmill and then weights.

I ran a tough 5 miles last night. Construction on I-64 has simply tied this area in knots. So instead of fighting the traffic I decided to run after work and then drive home an hour later than most people (I hoped).  By the time work ended it was sunny & 80.  That was a killer. My back was sore and stiff from sitting all day and I was having all kinds of different pains up and down my back during the run. Add to that a Wendy's lunch of a cheeseburger and fries and now I am also a little sick to my stomach.

Since there was no sense cutting the run short just to sit in traffic, I plodded along.  For most of the time I ended up using a run 2, walk 1 (minute) system so my stomach and back would have recovery time.  It wasn't until the final mile and a half when I could actually sustain a running motion for longer than 2 minutes.

To top it off, traffic was still pretty bad. I almost didn't make it to the polls in time to vote. I was scared that WV was going to pick a terrible person to run for the senate on the republican ticket so I really wanted to make sure I voted.  Fortunately, he came in third so there was no reason to fear.

SteveP good luck with your firm. I hope it works out.

evanflein we are finally in the 60s on a consistent basis. It has been so cold this is really welcome. I had no idea eastern Alaska was called Connecticut.  I need to move south.

fatozzig you need a coalition. I am in charge of the PhD program. We had a similar problem with the refrigerator in the PhD suite's kitchen. Students would leave things in there until they grew legs and walked out. Of course, if you tossed things that had a good chance of bringing out lots of complaints about "I wanted that!" But, most of the students hated the smell and wanted the whole thing solved. Solved as in toss out things, just other people's things. My solution was to get a general agreement that on the last business day of each month the refrigerator would be cleaned out. I got general agreement to this. Come two days before the first cleaning I put up signs reminding everyone of the coming event. It said roughly, "Remember, the refrigerator will be cleaned out on the last business day of each month. That includes your plastic container marked with 'Do NOT toss out!' If you want it, get it out of the refrigerator before <<cleaning date>>." It worked. The refrigerator gets cleaned out. The smells are gone. I never received a single complaint about people having their stuff tossed.

I spent some time this morning in the gym doing usual gym workout, noncardio, things. Yawn. Just keeping my fingers crossed that if I run this weekend my hamstrings will be back to normal. In other news, it is a Wednesday and I do not have any classes to teach!

In case it slipped your mind, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time. That or you are clearly in need of psychiatric help!  Remember the sooner you sign up the less you pay!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

fatozzig you need a coalition. I am in charge of the PhD program. We had a similar problem with the refrigerator in the PhD suite's kitchen. Students would leave things in there until they grew legs and walked out. Of course, if you tossed things that had a good chance of bringing out lots of complaints about "I wanted that!" But, most of the students hated the smell and wanted the whole thing solved. Solved as in toss out things, just other people's things. My solution was to get a general agreement that on the last business day of each month the refrigerator would be cleaned out. I got general agreement to this. Come two days before the first cleaning I put up signs reminding everyone of the coming event. It said roughly, "Remember, the refrigerator will be cleaned out on the last business day of each month. That includes your plastic container marked with 'Do NOT toss out!' If you want it, get it out of the refrigerator before <<cleaning date>>." It worked. The refrigerator gets cleaned out. The smells are gone. I never received a single complaint about people having their stuff tossed.

Nice!  Something to consider, although I'm sure someone would complain.  It's what they do. (look! even I'm complaining that someone would complain! )

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

The world needs more employees like you Steve. Unfortunately, there seems to be less of you and more of the other folks who just collect paychecks but don't really earn them. You deserve better.

+1

Jlynne - hang in there, we feel your pain.   DH just had a series of 3 epidurals in his back and is pain-free for the first time in years.

Leslie - we go through the same thing at our office, although I am the coward who tells the office admin - can you send out an email reminding folks to police their fridge food?

4.6 miles for me today in 57 degrees.  Legs are tired and the ankle is still sore, but not too bad on either count.  A little more rest wouldn't hurt, though.

I have to take my 11yo Cairn/Westie to the vet early to drop him off to get his teeth cleaned, so I won't have time to work out in the morning.  Apparently this is likely to cost $465, and more if they have to pull extra teeth.    Last time it cost something like $165. But they said because he is an old guy they require some extra safety measures, bloodwork, etc. so I can't argue with that.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fancy, brand-new facility they just move in to, or their new testing equipment. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

4 miles on West Mountain with the trail gang ...warm and breezy  JTWILI  Was surprised to see I managed a 15:30 m/m.  Thats kinda speedy for me.

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 11 miles - 9 at tempo pace.  It felt pretty good.

Tramps--I can't get that link to load, but I remember on the very first day of 10th grade, my math teacher proclaimed that he could guarantee that, at least, two people in our class of about 30 shared a birthday.  We thought he was crazy.  We had two pair.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

I'm also the Dish Police since, until we got our new court runner, I unloaded the dishwasher almost every day.  We have an office with 22 people.  At one point we had over 40 mugs - not counting the client-only mugs - and people like to dump their crappy dishes there.  I did a major clean out at one point when the cupboard was overflowing, and after that, with the blessing of the office manager, started putting non-office dishes on the kitchen table and giving people one week to take their crap home or it would get thrown away.  Yeah, that made people mad, too, but oh well. 

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance