Masters Running

Hills? What Hills? Holly's Boston Run (Read 506 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Boston, Boston, Boston....what can I say?  I had SUCH a great time!  I left DH at home for this one, both to economize and also because he really has no interest in this running stuff, and roomed with Erika – she is so much fun!  It continues to amaze me that RA (and KR) folks in person really are just as warm and funny and supportive as they are here on the board.  It was a weekend filled with good food and drink and great company all around.  A special thanks to Denise deez4boyz (you are the best!) who left us incredibly thoughtful care packages at the hotel, and then shuttled us around the city (many times in circles because we couldn’t figure out which turn her Tom-Tom wanted us to make at Boston’s many 5- and 6-point intersections (recalculating, recalculating...) 

Hally, btw, you are a HOOT!  I wish you’d post over here more often.  And Baby Nate – WHAT A CUTIE!  He smiled and flirted – he is even more adorable in real life than his pictures.

Let’s see....hmmm...there was something else I was going to mention.....what was it......oh yeah, there was a race, too!

To put it very simply – I had a fantastic time......This was very likely my favorite marathon of the 10 that I have run.

This wasn’t a target race for me - I knew going into it that my training this winter just didn’t have enough oomph for me to expect much – good mileage, but not much speed.  I’ve already mentioned whined about the fact that I just don’t train well in winter, and so I’m better off saving my goal races for the fall.

Last time:  In 2008 I ran Boston, setting my pace according to my PR qualifying race (3:48), assuming foolishly that that was my new standard, instead of the reality of my winter training.  Big mistake.  I made it 11 miles at that pace, then gave it up, but I paid later for that speedy start, including getting a wicked side stitch at mile #18 that never really let up for the rest of the race.  Finished in 4:15 feeling somewhat demoralized.

This time:  I have more marathon experience now, and I knew this would be a slower marathon (see above), so I printed out a 4:00 Boston-specific pace band and figured I would loosely follow it, but if it got in the way of me enjoying the day, I would discard it.

Goals for the day: 

1. Have fun.
    2. Don’t get hurt.
    3. Beat 4:15  

Kim and Susan (I never did find Fortunate One) had the same 4:00 goal, so the 3 of us started out together.  I was very conscientious about staying close to pace in those early miles:  I didn’t want to repeat that mistake of a too-fast start.  I really wanted to enjoy this one.  And we did.  Susan eventually pulled ahead, but Kim and I ran together for the first 16 miles.  Always a lone trainer, it was so much fun for me to have someone to run with – we laughed and chatted and Kim kept me distracted with stories and questions and conversation – it was very kewl.  Here's a shot of Kim and I.

Just after 16 miles, I peeled off to use a port-o-potty.  I knew that I could probably hold my water for the next 10 miles if I really had to, but I would enjoy those miles a lot more if I did stop, and since this wasn’t a target race, why not?  I looked for Kim but never did catch up with her, but that was okay.  I just got comfortable, running without looking at my Garmin anymore, and tried to soak it all up.  It was a gorgeous day, sunny and warm, the crowds were simply amazing, and I suddenly felt FANTASTIC, my heart bursting with the joy of the day.  

When I got close to the 20 mile mark, I began looking for the RA/KR group and when I saw them smiling and waving, I was delighted.  I waved excitedly and passed off the extra t-shirt I had peeled off with a quick, “can you hold this for me?” running backward for a minute so I could continue to wave.  It’s always such a joy to see faces you know in the crowd.

A word about the hills:  In 2008, right after Boston, I moved to a house on a hill.  Not a huge hill, but very similar I think to Heartbreak Hill.  Once when I was complaining about climbing that hill to get home every day, Spareribs told me, “Someday you will be thankful for living on a hill.”  And he was right.  Maybe it was the slower pace I was running, the joy in my heart, the sunshine, I don’t know, but I barely felt those hills at Boston.  I was thinking, “These are NOTHING!”  What I really noticed was the great downhills after each little hill.  When I crested Heartbreak Hill and heard the announcer saying, “You are now over the top of Heartbreak Hill – it’s all downhill from here!” and I thought, “That’s it?  That’s all you have to throw at me?  Hills?  What hills?  Those ain’t no stinkin’ hills! 

From there on into the finish I continued to feel pretty peppy.  Let’s face it, marathons are tough, and your body is always telling you about it near the end, but in spite of the minor aches and pains, I just felt, well, darn near exuberant.  Boston is quite an experience, an amazing crowd lining the streets the entire way, but when you come into downtown toward the finish the roar of the crowd is just unbelievable.  How can your heart not be lifted?  I even managed a pretty nice finishing kick.

Let me bore you with my Garmin splits:

Mile 1   8:56

Mile 2   8:52

Mile 3   8:53

Mile 4   8:49

Mile 5   8:58

Mile 6   8:42

Mile 7   8:53

Mile 8   9:04

Mile 9   9:01

Mile 10  8:58

Mile 11  9:21

Mile 12  9:15

Mile 13  9:14

Mile 14  9:10

Mile 15  9:17

Mile 16  9:04

Mile 17  11:04   (potty stop)

Mile 18  9:39

Mile 19  9:23

Mile 20  9:34

Mile 21  10:07  (Heartbreak Hill)

Mile 22  8:53

Mile 23  9:07

Mile 24  9:28

Mile 25  9:08

Mile 26  9:11

Last .46 mile     8:14 pace

Official stats:

4:04:30

9:20 pace

16209/22540 overall

6027/9468 finished - gender

895/1539  division (45-59)

Not an especially fast finish time, 14 minutes slower than my qualifying race in the fall, but fast enough that I wasn't disappointed with it, slow enough that I was able to have an extremely enjoyable race. 

Thanks for listening.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice racing.....excellent pace through out.  Enjoyed the pics, especially the finish line smile!

Your RR captures the fun you had.

Nice going!

MTA......the mile splits are never boring.  I love it when RRs include the mile splits.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Those splits are consistent and strong at the end which is a very good sign.  What it means is that you ran this race very smart, and I am glad you enjoyed it so much. It seemed to me that this year in particular the KR and RA groups have gelled for cameraderie and entertainment, much more so than in any previous year.

As to that announcer who told you you had crested HH, my BIL Joe and I have been trying to do some informal research and find out in what year did that cop finally retire who made that announcement from his patrol car, using his car's PA system.  What a delight he was.  He said it just as you reported it, "Congratulations, you have reached the top of HH."  Then he called out the time, although this was irrelevant to most people, and he finished by saying "It's all downhill to the finish.

It is interesting that you mention these downhills.  The next time someone plans to run Boston and worries about those hills, we need to remind them that each of those hills has a beautiful gentle downhill on the other side and if you are strong and in shape, you should get some recovery.  Looks like you used them well.

Great photos.  I love to see people smile in a race.  What a trip.  Spareribs

Reading your post you can just see how much fun you had! I too live on a hill and some days I have cursed coming home at the end of run.  But then . . . you get to a race and all of a sudden those hills do not look so bad!  Maybe you should see about moving to wildchild's neck of the woods?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Great report, Holly.  Your splits are fantastic--you really held the pace.  Way to run smart and have fun. 

So, what IS the goal race for the fall?

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Reading your post you can just see how much fun you had! I too live on a hill and some days I have cursed coming home at the end of run.  But then . . . you get to a race and all of a sudden those hills do not look so bad!  Maybe you should see about moving to wildchild's neck of the woods?

Hey, if Holly's moving to hill country, we have hills!  This is the Black Hills!!!   I call dibs on Holly .

Masters 2000 miles

Looking back I have to agree that the hills were not as bad as I anticipated.  The downhills or flats after each of them were very good for recovery and that proved good for me.

I wish we would have been starting in the same corral because I have no doubt I would have joined your merry band of sub-4 hour seekers.  That was my goal as well, in addition to the "have fun" goal which we also shared.  Erika has already begun to work on me about next year.  Who knows?  Maybe we'll have another chance to run together.

Bill

PS: you forgot my book again. 

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Fun, fun, fun!     I had to giggle at the "hold my water" comment - that is a term you don't hear much of anymore.  It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and you ran this race very smart.    Your report was worth waiting for .... and the pictures are great!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Well that was fun to read.  Hills, what hills?  Awesome.  I live in a hilly area too and I always tell myself they are like medicine, bitter to swallow but good for you in the long run.

Beautiful picture crossing the line.  Glad you could lift it from their website!

I like splits too.  Yours were pretty even across the board.  Running easy and having fun sounds like the best way to soak up the whole Boston experience.  And your time was actually pretty good.

Now you have to get another BQ right?  Which race will it be at?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BostonRnr

Nice run and nice report. It was great running with you!
                      Tramps

I had SUCH a great time!  I left DH at home for this one,

No comment.

This was well worth the wait!  I knew Karin's threat to run you ragged next week (?) would get you writing.

You went into this with a great attitude, a solid plan, and ran just about a perfect race for your level of conditioning...all while having fun.  What more could you ask for?!  Those splits are solid and that smile at the end is priceless.  Congratulations.

Needless to say, finally meeting you in person was one of the highlights of my weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Kimmie

Yay!!  She wrote a report!!!

Love it!   that is a good picture of us.   As I said before, you were so fun to run with... made the day for me, for sure.

will someone tell me how to post pictures here?

evanflein

Wonderful report! I loved how you approached this race, Holly. You've really matured as a runner and know when to work it hard and when to take it a little easier. As I like to say, they can't all be PR's. Good job on this and what beautiful running pictures you take! I love your finish shot, your smile is awesome.

The picture of you and Kimmie is fun... check out the guy behind her, looks like he's about to attack!

Living on a hill is indeed a mixed blessing. While I dread the run home sometimes, I know my "300ft in 2 miles" hill has helped tremendously in my training. I think it has for you, too. Good job, and thanks for writing this.

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for finally writing a RR - it was worth waiting for, too!  I had so much fun tracking you guys - I figured out that you and Kim were running together after your first three splits posted on line were identical. Then I could see where she was ahead of you for the last several, and I worried that you were feeling bad or something.  Glad to hear you were actually feeling really good and it was just a pit stop!   I always think pictures add so much to a RR, and your pics were great!

Amy, you can't call dibs on Holly - no fair. 

I'm not sure that living in the mountains has made me faster on hills - I'm pathetically slow on hills!  (Well, maybe that's partly due to the altitude.) The hill I live on gains 300 ft in 0.7 miles, and I usually have to walk the switchbacks.  Just the fact that it has switchbacks tells you how steep it is. But I love running downhill to get home!   And you don't have to move here to come run with me - come anytime!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great report, Holly.  You had me smiling the whole time.  It was very evident that you enjoyed the whole experience, which is what this running thing is all about anyway, right?

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance