Masters Running

Its only competition. (Read 250 times)

I'm 71 yrs old and have been running and racing for 33 yrs. In that time its always been the next run or the next race I'm pumped up about. Well I know my time might be short but I'm still looking forward to my next race so I can beat the pants off the some 70 yr or anyone close to me in that last 100 yards. Sounds silly doesn't it, 70 yr old men racing, me a grandfather of 7 children. AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS BEAT THAT 73 yr OLD WHOSE BEEN KICKING MY BUTT FOR THE LAST 12 YRS . What nerve he has, moving to our area 12 yrs ago and he takes up running. Well when he first got here I would always pass him in the final mile and I would talk to him and then leave him in my wake. Well I turned 60 and I never passed him again. He always did well in his division and I was suddenly history. I like to think he has very fresh legs and while he's racing 5KS, I'm doing 10ks , 5, and 10 milers. Its all about competition and just as soon as the fall season starts I'm going to be on his back and stalk him until I kick his A... Also don't any of you be in my way Smile Now where did those donuts go ? Evil grin
    busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Hey mirko... Nice post! It is folks like you that show that we don't need to shrivel up and go away as we age. I'll be rooting for you to kick his a.. too!
      -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
      also on Twitter
        Whoosh! I am staying away from your races! What's your schedule? You go for it and Kick some.... it IS only competition and you have to answer the call when the fire is in the belly. I look forward to reading about your success with this. Shall I feel badly about your rival? NAW! Great post---I agree. Karin
          Feel badly about my rival ? Only if they get injured in the race. Feel good they won't be in the next race. Tongue

King of PhotoShop

Competition keeps us inspired, makes us work harder, keeps us focused. it is wonderful. Some people have no sense of competitiveness. Others live for it. Nothing wrong with either approach. For me, give me a good race any time. Good for you to still be competitive. Spareribs
              I think friendly competition is what hobby racing (which is what we do) is all about! Go for it! So long as you do not really care if you win or lose, and it sounds like you are not taking this seriously, it can only help you and those you race against to enjoy the sport.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

..yeah, I think you tripped me at a Race in Habstadt back in the 80's....... just kiddin' Good Racing to ya mirko//........Anything that gets you Up and Going in the Morning is a GOOD THING...... enjoy every minute of it.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Hi Mirko, I just hope that I have near the fire and excitement about racing as you do when I get to 71. You go, guy (and save me a donut...)!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TomD

To still competive and have a passion for running is great. I hope you have it for many more years yet. TomD
                      Ditto what TomD (and everyone else) said. And I hope that old fart eats your dust at the next race Evil grin grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        You're an inspiration, Mirko. Keep on running and keep on posting. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, I've had my butt kicked regularly in races by 70-somethings. Personally, I find it inspiring to see. Maybe if I work hard enough at it, eventually I'll beat some of them....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Me and my gang in Breck

Dude, you rock!!! Kick his butt!!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."