Masters Running

Monday, 1/11/10 runs and other things (Read 539 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning everyone.

Quite an eventful weekend!  Lots of good long runs and races.

Just a couple slow, painful runs for me - 8 miles on Saturday and 16 on Sunday.  My pace is way down.

This morning, I took it to the gym.  Lifting, stepper (30 mins) and spin (50 mins).  Boston is only 14 weeks away.  I am far from ready...

You'll be ready for Boston soon enough PBJ.  It only takes 10 weeks of buildup to be (minimally) prepared for a Marathon.

I got up this morning early and ventured out for a light fartlek sessions. 5 miles easy with 5 x 1 minute at 10K pace, 3 minutes full recovery between each. The fast parts felt good because I could warm up. The easy parts not so much. 36° with a 15 mph wind out of the NW.

DW made up a nice delicious batch of Chicken Noodle soup yesterday. Yummm! I'm cooking some Beef Barley Stew in the Slow Cooker for after work. Can't wait to get home!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

PBJ, knowing you you will be more than ready for Boston.

BQByll, please save a cup of that soup for me. I am glad to see you are enjoying your crockpot. I use mine all the time. In fact Guilin chicken is cooking for me right now.

35F and raining. Seven miles with 6x45second striders at a bit slower than 5k pace.  Legs are feeling good, which is surprising after last nights' 50 minutes of Belly, Butt and Thigh Blasters exercise plus 10 minutes of weights. I found this new exercise video at Wal-Mart and since it was only 9.99 I decided to give it a try. The video comes with a theraband, which I enjoy using regularly anyway. We will see how it works for me.

Betty

By Delainey and Rasmussen

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Looks like a slow start.

Swim workout for me.  Had a little of my mojo back after a couple of good days of running, stationary bike and some strength training.

This week I will run 6 days! Being careful not to do too much to fast.

Great week of running wished to all!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

PBJ - keeping my finger crossed for your speedy healing.

Erika – nice gym workout yesterday.  I’m not familiar enough with gym equipment to know what all those are, but I know that you use heavier weights than I do.  Probably why you have about the nicest arms and shoulders of any of us. 

Breger – I baked a chicken for last night’s dinner, and the leftovers are going into a chicken noodle soup tomorrow – one of my DS’s favorites, and I haven’t made it in a long time.

Mariposai -

Here’s a surprisingly pleasant movie – 17 Again.  We watched it Saturday night, mostly because DD wanted to, and I had pretty low expectations, but found instead that I enjoyed it quite a lot – very fun, lots of laughs. 

2 recovery miles for me on the TM this morning, followed by light x-training: leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, dumbbell presses, flies, lying hammer curls, push-ups, lateral raises, lunges, stability ball crunches and 4 chin-ups.

Tonight is my last class of the tax season, class #2 of the City Tax class, this time on the computer program.  Hopefully easier on me than the City Tax Theory last week. 

Only 7 weeks till March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

‘Morning, folks

Slo—a very appropriate, mobile, avatar! 

Easy 5.2 @ 8:35 + some core work for me.

Sorry the Disney weekend was so unpleasant.  I’ve never had any interest in running Disney.  In fact you’d have to pay me to go there.  But I am surprised that a company that makes a fortune moving millions of people through its theme parks doesn’t seem better prepared to handle a few thousand runners, regardless of the weather.  The easy access and personal treatment you get is what keeps me a fan of smaller races.

Just when I had decided to stop using the RA log, Eric’s gone and done a nice upgrade, so I’m back on-line.  I like the monthly calendar view a lot.  And the GPS upload seems to work much quicker for me now.  I also sent a donation since this site is certainly worth at least the cost of a race.

Be safe. Be kind.

Holly - I really liked 17 Again, too.  I was cracking up at the part where he was in the kitchen with all that food, squirting cheese whiz down his throat.

I haven't had a chance to look at the dailies for the weekend, but it downs like JLynne's and Sue's run was not only in less than ideal conditions, but the organization/care of the runners left a lot to be desired. 

Oh my!  What a weekend was!  Saturday - a really great 22-mile trail where I ran strong the entire time and finished in just a minute or so over 6 hrs (this included doggy water stops, people talking stops, bathroom stops, and a couple of aid station stops).  Not too many issues of nausea, although it was there.  Sunday - a looong 14 miles where the whole nausea thing took hold around Mile 10, but ate a bit more and slowed down, walking what seemed like quite a bit of the last 2 miles.  Ended up finishing in 2:41.  But all that's not the big news.  The big news . . .

We had quite the earthquake here Saturday afternoon around 4:30. 6.5, about 20 miles south and then 20 miles off the coast.  Scared the holy freaking crappola outta me.  I was home by myself.  First there was a LOUD BOOM! (like the sound barrier being broken, only multiply it by, oh 10 or so), and then if felt like something enormous just shook the house for all it was worth.  Things were flying off the shelves - it was crazy.  Talk about a freaking adrenalin rush.  I was "fine" (although I was shaking like crazy) until about 5 minutes before Shorty showed up.  I sort of lost it for a few brief moments.  Nobody got hurt, so that's the main thing.  We were out of power until about  around 3:30.  Shorty woke up to the lights on and the washing machine going.   Needless to say, "recovery eating" was a tad hard Saturday night, so I'm blaming my struggles yesterday on the earthquake. 

Tammy - Did you guys feel this at all?  On the news it said it was felt up into So OR.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie: I thought of you right away when I heard there was an earthquake down there. I never felt it although I know of several up here that did. I think I was just busy doing stuff about that time, so probably didn't notice what was obvious. We were expecting guests over between 4:30-5:00 and I recall at 4:30 I was still scrambling around doing some food prep.

Tammy

Renee the dog

Why is it that fatozzig's pictures of her home after an earthquake look like mine on an average day?     Well, except for the last one...I think I'll take some random snapshots around the house today and tomorrow, and I bet I can come up with the first two easily! 

1 mile earlier this morning.  My ankle was cranky so I decided I'd try again tonight.  Just got home from the library and re-turned the same ankle carrying my sleeping son in the house and stepping on a wee bit of an ice mound on an otherwise clear sidewalk.  I guess the g*ds are Disney fans, and didn't appreciate my rant yesterday.

Icing now, still going to try for some miles tonight if it feels OK>

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I Can Go The Distance

Leslie: I too wondered about you and Tammy when I heard about the earthquake. Nothing down here in SOCAL as far as shaking or surf warnings. Having gone through my share of earthquakes, I know how scary they can be. So whether it's cold winters, tornados, hurricanes or earthquakes, I guess we all have things to deal with no matter what region of the country we live in.

Sorry to hear that Disney was such a bad experience for so many of you. After working so hard to run a half or full marathon (or both) and then have it turn out as it did is a real bummer.

I did a recovery 6 miles yesterday, went to church and then spent the rest of the day watching football and basketball. I ate too much junk while doing so and could really feel it on my 8 miler this morning. My stomach felt terrible until about mile 4. My time for my run this morning was 1:17:21 (9:41/mi). If I am going to run 60 miles a week, I really have to be more careful of what I eat!

Have a great day all,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - very scary!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Nono, that cracks me up. I was thinking the same thing! Our house is decorated "early ransacked" style.

Leslie, glad you're ok and nothing (seriously) broken. I like a good shaker every now and then... 6.5 is pretty strong.

Holly, I was having problems with Firefox... just couldn't post anything. Launched Safari (which I hardly ever use on my PC at work) and it's working fine. Strange stuff... Hey, for your class tonight remember they might pop a quiz on you at the end! (oh, and all those things I did yesterday were with just dumbbells or barbells and the ball, except the lat pulldown and the leg press... used machines for those)

PBJ, you may be far from ready, but you're way ahead of me! I'm really getting nervous about this whole thing. Kicking myself for not taking full time off back in October/November when I had the chance... and the time to get back on track!

Oh well. Am taking the approach of better to get to the starting line undertrained than injured. At least I'm doing whatever I can to stay in shape. Just gotta get the foot with the program and soon.

Perch, yowza, don't know how you run on that knee of yours, and now you're trying to bang up the other one. Way to go.

It was -35° this morning! Geez, it'd be super easy to get a more miles than degrees run this week. I might be able to venture out later this week, I'm hoping for sure by the weekend. Foot and ankle feel pretty good... I'll go pool running after work. Today is day #11 of no running. Not that I'm counting or anything. 

Carolyn, how's your leg doing?

Quickly scanned the dailies late last night and today, but I'm not retaining much.  I'm starting a grad class tonight, to test the waters for a doctoral program - eek - and I'm freaking out about fitting it in with the running, the church job, the day job, and trying to have a life.  I'm sure that once I get in touch with my inner Holly, or nono, or Erika, or nearly any of you, I'll be just fine.  Smile

Gotta scoot to get a run in between school and class.  Hmm, maybe I can get online during class tonight . . . . . .   

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Leslie    Wow!   Glad you are OK.   I also thought about you right away.  Some photos!

I had a greta 5K race yesterday!   I went at the spur of the moment by myself, after not doing much running all week, and surprised myself with a big PR.    Can't tell you how happy I was - completely obnoxious at the awards ceremony, where I only knew one man.   Jumped around and yelled, and carried on like crazy. 

Tammy, will you be at the Pear Blossom Race on Apr. 10?   I plan to do the 5K if there is one.  Econo says she will contact you on KR about a studio room for us. 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Leslie.. that was a big one.  Just practice though Wink

Erika.. knees are over rated Smile.  I'm getting an arthroscopy clean out on it Thursday and that should help (I hope --ouch, wince)

Ran 5 miles today in 43:37 (8:43 pace). First mile included Sadie dragging me to the pavement. Good knee was bleeding but just minor road rash.  I'm glad to have been wearing gloves which absorbed most of the impact. Whew!

(the last 3 miles were 8:16 pace and the knee did not hurt at all?)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova