Masters Running

DNF - Lessons Learned ... (Read 416 times)

To quote inspirational author Dr. Wayne Dyer, "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Instead of looking at the race as a defeat, you chose to look at the race as a victory of lessons learned. Good post.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Manchild

Touche' Bill! I heed the advice and file it under"future consideration" !!Thanks so much! Chris
        Thank you so much Brugel! I love to read joyous RRs, of course, and want all Boomers to have greta runs all the time, but of course we are in the real world. It is so kind of folks to take the time and share their painful experiences for the rest of us to read and ponder. This prolly wasn't fun to write up for us; you're a real pal to care enough to do so. I want to echo your very sage advice. Like you, I went out in a marathon that was H&H--in Rochester, Minnesota, believe it or not. It was Memorial Day 06--the race started at 8 am and it was already 80. I thought I was taking slow enough, but nope. Fortunately, there are a lot of medical types working that race as volunteers (home of the Mayo Clinic) and one stopped me at mile 13, told me in no uncertain terms to ease up and take it much more slowly. I came really close to a DNF, and felt really beaten up at the end. Since we are heading into the warm seasons, this is especially worthwhile to keep in mind. Here's to your next run. You know we'll all be rooting for you and as has been said, you will be a smarter and stronger runner because of this experience. Blessings and grins (your wife is right, of course!), A
        Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Having found out over the years that even DNF's are to be treasured, congratulations on finding the value in what you first thought was a failure and figuring out that even DNF’s are to be relished, savored, and appreciated.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good stuff, Bill. This has been a good learning experience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Thanks for sharing this wisdom, Bagel. It's excellent advice and I'll take it to heart. The wiki is still there. You or Roch can pop the article in, and many will benefit over time. Password is still "boomers"
                Now linked to the Wiki. Now my DNF will live in history. Tongue Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

#artbydmcbride

A very valuable post, berger1, thanks for sharing your wisdom with us. {{Bregere1}}

Runners run

...excellent advise Burger//.......you got posted over at KR too........ thanks..... ,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,....aaaaaaaarrrrrrrr.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Wow - this clearly was the result of a lot of thought and reflection. Thank you for sharing it with us.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hope I (and other new runners) will be smart enough to learn from your experience; thanks for sharing!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Now linked to the Wiki. Now my DNF will live in history. Tongue Bill
                          So just follow it up with a PR, and you will be remembered for that. When (not if) I have a DNF, I hope I handle it and learn from it as well as you have.
                          PJH

Bill - just got to your post. Thanks for sharing! Pretty insightful stuff. I personally enjoy this kind of sharing the most. It helps us all. Good luck with your running. PJ
                              Great words of Wisdom..and wisdom comes from experience.... We all hope to learn from our experience..but sometimes we just don't.....and I am sure with you on that one..... With what you have learned ...no doubt you will nail the next HM...