Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 4.11.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice 5er in the sunshine, Tramps.

Aamos, as Marj said, it is too early to get a firm fix on the weather for Boston. However, if you want to start to get some idea of what it will be, look at the forecast a day or two beyond race day. The weather always seems to shift forward a bit, so looking at that range of days will give you a better look. But it's still to early...

I'm glad you had a good 8 in shorts, Tselbes.

Did'ja get the deck cleared, Marj?

'Good busy' is good, Twocat. How'd your 14 go?

Leslie, my back also lets me know, very clearly, when I've missed too many days of core work. It's good to have that reminder, I suppose. I'm glad you got back to it. Sorry, I can't help with the camcorder question.

Starr, why not do your bike research online so you can narrow your choices, and then go to the store for some touchy-feely with your selections? Have fun with the new dock - after ice-out.

Tammy, he may not look at it this way, but more competition will only make David a stronger/faster runner. I'm confident he'll catch the growth-spurt guy.

Nice squatin' doodley, TW.

Sorry about the logging by the trail, Enke. I also hope they'll be prudent about what they are pulling down. How'd the cake master do?

Paul, don't look a gift marathon in the mouth, and just enjoy the sproinkiness.

Congrats on passing the check ride, Troy! Have fun in the clouds.

5.5 paper-bag RW miles early this morning. My ankle is definitely not happy, so I just took it easy and had a nice tour of the neighborhood. We're flying out at COD tomorrow, so I have a good excuse for taking the day off to give my ankle a break (well, not that!). The newspaper guy pulled up when I was about 1/4 mile from being done. We chatted a bit, and he gave me an extra copy of the WSJ that he had today. If I only had time to sit and read it...

Looks like we have just one racer this weekend, so we can all cheer for IBUB.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Greetings and thanks for the start Jay! Safe travels COD and all.

Indeed every running route in Ithaca was uphill both ways! I had good work days there and good runs too---gorges and all. Congrats to your daughter wildchild! I waved in the direction of Cornell each morning.

Ran 8 miles this morning with 10 x short strides in last two miles. sharpening, sharpening.....

I am just glad the Boston Marathon isn't this coming Monday as it looks like the typical April heat wave will hit then. And Aamos! cut that out! The weather will change many times b4 we toe the line, but yes, it provides a different OCD focus during taper tantrum time.

I have the Paris, London, Berlin, Stockholm, and Jungfrau marathons on my bucket list. I've loved all your photos and posts about Paris pfriese...congrats! I'll need to run until at least 80 like Henry to save up the pennies and cover the miles. Looking forward to it all.

I love how Amy tapers - 60 miles this week (as of yesterday at that).  Geez.  What a machine she is and a humble one at that.  She always makes it sound like what she's doing is no big deal.

I haven't posted in a while but have been lurking a lot.  I feel a bit like a paper-bag runner these days.  I had several vacations in March.  The vacays were wonderful (Breckenridge and Aruba)  but the mileage plummeted.  I'm working to get the miles back up, but soon I'll be retiring, packing, and moving north.  That will likely clobber the mileage again, as we're planning to visit various family and friends on the way up.

This morning was one of the better runs I've had in some time.  8 miles mostly progressive with several miles toward the end pushing the 8 minute per mile barrier.  I wasn't sure I could get there anymore.  (Haven't had any more heart episodes thankfully.)  As Aamos has noted a few times it's warming up down here but not bad yet.  The H&H was up pretty good a couple of days ago and I struggled through a 5 miler that day - felt like a wet rag - but it's all good.

We had a major long rehearsal at Church last evening getting last minute practice in before Holy Week next week.  I'll be singing a Solo on Good Friday ("Watch the Lamb"), performing with the Praise Team as usual, and singing with the Choir most every service.  Our Music Director is "a monster during rehearsals" to quote his girlfriend.  (He is a good guy otherwise.)  But I'm really going to miss the great music program he has been able to cobble together with all us amateurs.  (It's time though.  I am totally tired of being screamed at.)  With the late evening I'm shocked I made it up in time for 8 miles, but it's doubtful i'll get a run in this weekend so had to do it today.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Sayhey! MM#130

Shucks, folks, someone has to do the weather obsessing thing.    That way y'all can tell me the

sky really isn't falling!

Here's what I get today:

Mon, Apr 21

65 / 51 °F

Partly sunny.

Feels Like: 65 °F

Humidity: 74%

Precipitation Chance: 5%

WNW

Wind: 6mph

ALSO, I didn't run this am, just went for a 2 mile stroll, so I hafta do sumptin"

And double shucks, Jay probably won't see this, but I saw a shooting star last night!  Went outside for a quick constitutional (looks like the Sox only came out of their nosedive for henrun's birthday, had to walk off last night's debacle in NYC, yig) and there it was.  DH was with me and saw it too; it was huge! 

Blil, always enjoy reading about your singing activities.  Just wish we could hear them.  Someone going to youtube your choir?  Or have they and I missed it??   Glad you are back running.   Still good weather for it.   I'll be in the Keys next month, crewing for Chris Roman. 

Fun 6 mile tempo run last night with the running group, through neighborhoods with views of the Caloosahatchie River as the sun started setting.  So much fun, and another runner who's going to Boston got me to keep up the pace so my last mile was 7:35. 

Happy Friday!  I'm doing a little 5K tomorrow, to help a church that gives proceeds to a group working with children with HIV in Africa.  Maybe go out for lunch, then chores and CLEAN the condo!

grins,

A

undefinedundefinedundefined

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I love how Amy tapers - 60 miles this week (as of yesterday at that).  Geez.  What a machine she is and a humble one at that.  She always makes it sound like what she's doing is no big deal.

+1

Safe travels Jay!

Karin - nice sharpening...

Byll - nice to see you again!  Feel free to post vacation pics.

5.1 miles for me in a breezy 55 degrees.  The foot is still not happy but is improving.  This year so far is the lowest mileage I have had in years, with all the time I am taking off for the foot.  I think the pace bunny has overtaken me....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I see that Aamos is tapering .

Bregercito, you are welcome to post just a one liner here and there. I am glad  you had a great time while on vacation.

Life is so hectic right now, but I did fit in my 20 miler last night. Funny, I took the afternoon off to run, but I was caught up with a webinar and two meetings that I was not able to get out off (lesson learn: I should have taken the morning off). Anyway, last 20 miler done and all is downhill from hill. I am excited about this weekend. I am driving for 5 hours after work tonight to visit my son Daniel in Pullman for WSU mom's weekend. He has a lot of activities planned for us to do.

Cheers,

Posie lady.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Coastwalker...thank you.

Tet, in the US the initial private pilot certification includes night flight, the training has to include night flight, so flying at night can be done by any private pilot. The challenge is that it is much harder to see clouds, and therefore avoid them. It is also absolutely black hole flying in many conditions in places like where we live...unless we have a big moon on snow. Otherwise, no lights no nothing for miles and miles. And that functionally makes it instrument flight. So I have not done much night flying.

In Canada, the night rating is a separate training, and a private pilot with a Canadian license is not automatically allowed to fly at night.

On a nice calm night with a big moon and snow on the ground, it is about the coolest thing ever. So I have made some night flights. On other nights, not so much. So my total night hours are only 10.

mrrun

from a BBC article on runners in sunday's London Marathon!

Paul Freedman - Follow a nice bum

Paul Freedman, 89, is the oldest runner at this year's London Marathon. He has taken part in every London Marathon since 1991, except 2004 when he was recovering from a heart attack.

"Last year I was asked what kept me going and I replied by saying 'I get behind a nice bum and go from there!  ' I was joking, of course.

Paul Freedman

"I run in an orange bib and on the back it says 'oldest marathon runner' so when I'm walking along I get a tap on the shoulder from people asking me how old I am. By the time I've done four or five miles I've got bruises from all the tapping!

"But it's a case of taking one mile at a time. My running days are over. It's hard for me these days, I am almost down to walking pace, but what keeps me going is raising money for the hospice I'm running for and the thought of my friends and family at the finishing line."

King of PhotoShop

Aamos story for all of you. One day I'm driving us into Dallas for a race and we go by the jail. She says, "I feel sorry for all the innocent people in that jail."  Of course this started a big argument with me.  But she is a good-hearted woman who sees the good in all and is outraged at the notion that anyone could be wrongfully imprisoned.  I know she was just trying to get my goat, but her point was well taken.

So I'm back from my trip.  Not much running this week, more like recovering from back to back hard races.  3.4 at easy pace today, so I consider myself feeling pretty good.   Spareribs

Thanks for the news article, Mrrun.

And I thought only the men went outside for a constitutional.

Hope the ankle feels better soon, Jay.

We have a decent choir going for Easter this year, too, that I'm enjoying participating in.  Our director recorded the various parts of the songs on CDs for us, but only has one entire song recorded and it's all jumbled around.  Anyway, I've been relying on the recordings to learn the alto parts.  Last night we sang all the songs through their entirety for the first time.  Imagine  my surprise when we got to a verse that isn't on the CD!    We sound pretty dang good, though, and next week we practice for the first time with the orchestra that's' been cobbled together, then it'll be three performances since our church does three services on the weekend (1 Sat, 2 Sun).

This weekend is my first B2B2B since 2012. Yikes!  Today was 8, tomorrow and Sunday will be 18/10.  Wish me luck!

Other than running, not much planned except for more transcription.  My life is so exciting right now . . . .

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Amy, a PM has been sent.  (See "Messages" at the top).

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, nice racing for David again!  I agree with Jay that tough competition will make him a better runner.

Enke, I hope they don't do too much logging on your mountain!

Troy, nice to see you posting, and congrats on the instrument cert.

Karin, thanks for waving to my DD in Ithaca!  I'll be there in May for her graduation and I'll get to run the hills.  And I'll get to run with Skip when I'm there - did you let him know you'd be in the area?

Breeger, congrats on your pending retirement and move!  Hope the solo goes well.

Leslie, good luck with your weekend runs!  Seems like your training is going well this time around - finally!   Hope we get to run together when I'm  out there in May!

I was going to do long back-to-back runs this weekend too, but right now I have a sore glute/hammy, so I'm taking today off, and hope it's okay to run tomorrow.  Sunday we're in for another big snowstorm, so it's not looking too good for running.  Oh, well, better to get to the start line under-trained and uninjured.  If it feels okay tomorrow I'll just do one long run and skip the back-to-back.

I was just on the Marathon Maniacs webpage updating my races, and noticed I'm up to 3 stars!  It's because I ran 12 marathons in 12 months (actually I did 13) - I was previously at 2 stars for 6 in 6 months.  Obviously I don't do the races for the stars, since I didn't even notice till now, but it's kind of cool anyway.     Well, cool to runners, anyway.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I was just on the Marathon Maniacs webpage updating my races, and noticed I'm up to 3 stars!  It's because I ran 12 marathons in 12 months (actually I did 13) - I was previously at 2 stars for 6 in 6 months.  Obviously I don't do the races for the stars, since I didn't even notice till now, but it's kind of cool anyway.     Well, cool to runners, anyway.

Very cool!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Karin, thanks for waving to my DD in Ithaca!  I'll be there in May for her graduation and I'll get to run the hills.  And I'll get to run with Skip when I'm there - did you let him know you'd be in the area?

When in May? I'll be back on May 16 and 17 for their trustee meetings. My runs are at 5 or 5:30 am when I am on the road for work and asking Skip to trek from CNY for a run that early seems too much, but maybe next time. Exciting times for you and your kiddo wiildchild

Mariposai

Wildchild, that is wayyy too cool. Congrats. BTW, I am 5 hours away from Seattle, but I am always willing to meet people for races Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard