Masters Running

2018 Starter Daily, 1.1.18 (Read 47 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday's workouts:

Analogkid (4.3 EZ miles for a 150 month)

Holly (4 TM miles + 30 min of weights & core)

RunnerKSA (3.3 TM miles for a 2011.5 year)

Tomwhite (60 min X-bike)

Quickadder (9.7 morning miles, most EZ with DD for a 151 prime month and 1500 year)

Deeze (1.8 TM miles)

Pfriese (6 cold-avoiding TM miles)

Jlynne (4.1 TM 'Groundhog Day' miles)

Falconfixer (7.7 miles at 8:02 pace in upper 20s temps for a 207.2 month)

Spacityrunner (4.6 miles at 12:34 pace in windy 26° [16 WC])

Wildchild (4.6 miles in 26° temps to achieve monthly prime)

Mike (6 post-Viking game, pre-party TM miles)

Stumpy (4 morning miles in 8° temps)

Tet (26.2 miles in Japanese wooden geta)

Twocat (1 morning hr on the elliptical)

Evanflein (12.6 miles in 5° with NW breeze for a 171.3 month)

Where can I get some of those fuzzy pants?

Congrats to Wildchild for her unofficial trail marathon on Saturday (helping a friend go long), and to Tet for his official one yesterday in wood sandals!

How'd the midnight race go, Falconfixer?

Thanks for the Bangor Police FB link, Stumpy. They do a great job with their posts!

Hi Starr - you've been chilly and busy!

I learned that our fireworks were canceled last night because the sand on the beach is so frozen that they couldn't dig the holes to put in the firing tubes. Yikes!

Our weekend guests will be leaving late this morning, and I'll be heading out at about the same time for the Hangover Classic 5K. The race sent an email blast yesterday, suggesting that those inclined to participate in the traditional post-race ocean plunge skip it this year because of the expected single-digit temps, winds, and snow/ice down to the tide line on the beach. The only thing I'll be plunging into after the race is a hot shower when I get home...

It was fun, sad, funny, enlightening, invigorating, and motivating to spend much of the year here with my RA family, and to enjoy a few meet-ups as well. I wish you and your families a healthy, prosperous and joyful 2018.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Happy New Year folks.

I was asleep by 10 last night.

Thermometer reads 0.4° but my New Year's Day 5k isn't for 2 more hours so there is hope to "warm up" before then.

It's a happy day for those of us born in Buffalo. The Bills are in the playoffs for the first time since 1999. And the Sabres play an outdoor game today in NY City.

And I also get to watch my adopted college team, Michigan, play in a bowl game. The DVR will be running today as everything I want to see is on at the same time.

bioguy

Happy Monday and Happy New Year to all.

Mrs. Bio and I made a great dinner at home of scallops, risotto, and kale. Watched 60 Minutes which was a rerun, but some of my favotire upbeat stories. We were in bed asleep by 9:30.

Ran 4 miles this morning; temp was 9 degrees. On the turnaround the low sun was right in my eyes which was a tad uncomfortable, but I was plenty war.

As per our family custom, we are getting together with family and a few friends and going on a New Year's Day hike. Normally it is in Great Falls on the Billy Goat Trail, but we are switching it up this year and meeting at Sugarloaf Mountain in Urbana, MD. Not really a mountain, just a big hill, but will be fun.

Tailwinds!

...mornin' guys//............welp,

the ONE Thing that's going to thwart me has happened>>>>>>>>>>>> ICE

it's -8

but

no way I'm finding out how well I've learned to Fall yet

------Let The Sun Shine In------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a56-TcPQMow

Plan B

is the Good Ol' NordicTrak

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Happy New Year.  Glad to see so many great runs, even in nippy weather. You're a hardy bunch.

+1 on all the kudos to Jay for his efforts on the daily roundup. We definitely appreciate it.

+1 on all the welcomes to new folks this year too. It's always nice to "meet" new runners.

Dave--I thought about you when I saw that Ravens meltdown; 17 years is a long time. Don't hold your breath for the Sabres today, though. 

Mike--are you as intense attending a Vikings game as watching it on TV?  Must have been a fun one.

First run of the year, of course. The blown up knee made 2017 a drag for me in terms of running.  I had to retire my "long-distance runner" identity in favor of a something more modest, which makes me feel old some days. But, hey, I'm still moving and I work hard at feigning enthusiasm for cycling. Onward with the new reality in 2018.  5 miles today (you'll be hearing that a lot in 2018) with bright sunny skies and comfy 18F weather.

Enjoy the day.

Be safe. Be kind.

First run of the year, of course. The blown up knee made 2017 a drag for me in terms of running.  I had to retire my "long-distance runner" identity in favor of a something more modest, which makes me feel old some days.

Add 10+ years on to that age of yours Tramps, and we'll have a beer and talk about "feeling old"  But I do like your sentiment about moving forward!

Sounds like y'all have 2018 off to a great start. I actually made it until midnight. Kissed my husband, wished him a happy new year and went to bed. It's been a long time since I've been up that late, but we had a great dinner with some good friends and started playing silly board games. When we looked at the clock, it was 11:30. Someone said "should we stay until midnight and toast the New Year"?  We all said nope - we're going home!

It's -10° with a -35 wind chill here right now. At least the sun is out! I wasn't ready to deal with all of the necessary layers to head outside, so off to the Y for 6 miles on the treadmill and 20 minutes of weights and core. Lots of New Years resolution folks there again this morning, and I was surprised I got to keep a treadmill for an hour. Oh well, they'll be gone by February

Happy New Year folks!

Got outside around 11 for 4.2 miles.  12 degrees by then and sunny, but still a little north wind that felt brutal on my face.  I have the right gear, but that's just COLD!  Did OK, though, and got it done.  May do a little more on the treadmill later during football.

1.5 afternoon treadmill miles.    5.7 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...due to the Hips Thing,

it's been a while since I hit the NordicTrak

I forget

what a Great Piece of Exercise Equipment it is

60-min

with resistance and elevation...

..........and I think I just found my ''3rd Work-Out'' to alternate with

.........Nice Way to Start the New Year.......

...................Good Running to Ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Happy New Year all and thanks for the continued great recaps Jay. Enjoy that 5k.

-12 here this morning but sunny. Short 4 miles to get the blood flowing.

You can do lots off 5 miles Tramps. Keep on moving any way you can.

Well time intake down the Christmas tree. Always a bit sad.

Wtg Wild and tet   amazed you ran in wood sandals. Pretty hardcore IMO

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

catwhoorg

Labrat

I waited until it was up into the 20s and feels like teens

6 miles, 20 pull ups.

Long sleeves were broken out for the first time this winter

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Misplaced runner...

6.1 miles on a mostly sunny morning with north winds 15-20 and wind chill about 17.  Haven't had very many runs in these conditions since moving here and, honestly, it's quite invigorating.  I get to say that though, knowing it will likely be in the 60s here this weekend.

An aside, thank you to everyone for the welcome here and a happy New Year!  I hope we can post and read about good health, good runs, and good races, and anything else that goes along with getting through the year in good shape.  Cheers!

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Marathon Maniac #957

Wtg Wild and tet   amazed you ran in wood sandals. Pretty hardcore IMO

Indeed!

Another welcome to the new folks, and I must say that I feel blessed to have you folks in my life, even virtually.

We had a lovely time at our friend's dinner party last night - good friends, good food and wine.  We actually stayed later than I thought we would, but were still home before midnight.  Right before I went to bed I texted DS to say good night and Happy New Year.   When I looked at my phone this morning, I realized it was 11:49pm at that point.  I guess I could have stayed up another 11 minutes, but at the time I was just thinking about heading to bed.

7 miles for me on the TM watching Bull.

Can someone remind me how to set a mileage goal for 2018 in my log?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Misplaced runner...

Can someone remind me how to set a mileage goal for 2018 in my log?

Click on Edit Layout button at upper right of summary page, select "Goal" widget, populate and save accordingly.

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Quickadder

Waited until mid-morning and the temperature to get up to high 20s - we are near record low temperatures. DD had a virtual 10K to run and I paced for her and added a few yards at the end to record 6.3 miles to start my year.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

wildchild

Carolyn

I started the year with a 7.4 mile trail run in chilly (20s) and sunny conditions.  The run was posted as a group run with the Ultra Dirt Divas, but only one other person showed up, who I hadn't met before.  So I made a new friend and had a good run! Happy 2018!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.