Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING GROUP w/e 07/11 (Read 652 times)

Point to Ponder:  Are people more violently opposed to fur rather than leather because it's much easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

Good work last week, folks -

pfriese - 59.7 running miles

Dutchie - 22.6k running, 26k bikng, lower body - 1x, upper body - 4 muscle groups, abs - 2x

Tsunami -3.5 pain free running miles, 76 min swimming, geocaching (= xtraining), kayaking, eating good stuff

Erika - 43.4 miles running and 3.6 miles walking; new 5k PR too!

Stumpy - 10.9 miles running, 30 min ellipticalling, yoga-ing, pumping

Shadowrunner - 21 miles for week [low]; almost 2 hrs free weights, 40 mins core excercises: 420 push-ups.  hour of swimming

fatozzig - 29.32 miles, 40 min core/upper body

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mon - Rest

Tues - 4 miles ------------------------------------ 4 miles - 1 EZ, 2 RP, 1 EZ, 9:40 ap with a good climb in the middle of M3

Wed - 3 miles ------------------------------------- Nope.  Laziness prevailed

Thurs - 3 miles ----------------------------------- 3 EZ miles, 10:40 ap

Fri - Travel -----------------------------------------

Sat - SOB 50k Trail Run ----------------------- 50k/31.06 miles.  Not pretty, but it got done.

Sun - Travel ---------------------------------------

Totals: 7 EZ road miles, 31.06 trail race miles

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dutchie42

Good Morning everyone, and thanks Leslie for starting us up for the week. Did you all have a great 4th of July? Too much food and lovely fireworks? Have a great week everone!

Since I missed my long run on Sunday due to tummy trouble, my schedule this week will look a little different.

Mon: 10K easy run

Thought my tummy troubles were all better this morning, but boy was I glad I always bring toiletpaper. Nevertheless, it was a much better 10K run than I've had all week. Probably due to the drop in temperature and the very nice breeze. Even turned out to be a tempo run: first 2K rather slow as usual, then 6.2K a little faster and running was easier, and the last 2K slower again. 

Tue: LB + UB + abs

This morning I started with pushups (12+8+4 in a 2/2 count). Then did a 25 min LB w/o with some plyo thrown in and 15 min of chest (bench press 6 kg dbs and flys 4 kg dbs) and 15 min of back (double arm rows 6 kg dbs, one arm rows 7 kg dbs, pullovers 12kg bb, and supermans for lower back), plus a 10 min ab w/o with 1.5kg dbs. It all came down to about 65 minutes I think.

Wed: 10K easy run

Gorgeous morning. Had to talk myself out of bed this morning. Those darn vuvuzela's kept me up till after midnight last night. But after the first coffee, I felt much better. Was out the door late though. Somehow I seem to move in slow motion on 4.5 hrs of sleep. Or maybe time is moving faster than I am?

Nice 11.5 kilometer run. Moving like a machine. Been a while

Thu: LB + UB + abs

This morning I started with UB: triceps and biceps (30 min). Then a LB w/o with traditional exercises alternated with plyo exercises (40 min). If your interested, it's called STS Plyo legs.

Ran out of time for abs/pushups. Will do those this afternoon (half day at work).

Fri: 10K easy run

Another gorgeous morning. At 6AM it was 18C already, with barely any wind. Not even on the dike, sigh. But it was doable. That, or I'm acclimatising (is that a word?) to the warmer temps

Nice 10.3K run, 20 seconds slower than on Monday, despite a few walkbreaks. My legs felt a bit tired. Must've been the LB w/o I did yesterday.

Sat: 3K run + 20min LB + UB + abs

At 5AM it was already 19C. Despite the high temps, I had a very nice 6.5K run this morning with Spooky. Then did a bit of pruning in the back garden, followed by 20 min of LB floor ex with ankle weights, a 10 min ab w/o on the stability ball and 15 min. of shoulder work to finish it off. After a shower I took Spikey&Spooky out for a nice 2.5K walk. Spike was bothered by the heat though.

Sun: 2h10 long run (hopefully 18-19 kilometers)

We've had torrential rains last night. And this caused a very high humidity as the sun came out and the air warmed up this morning. It was a very tough run. I had the same breathing problems I had a few weeks ago. Even when I was standing on the dike, facing the wind, it still felt like I couldn't get enough air in.
        However, I managed to finish my run, though I cut it short by 160 meters at the end cause I wanted to get in the shade asap by then. The aim was a 2h20 run. But because I was standing around waiting for Spooky while she was splashing thru huge rain puddles, I figured I should add at least an extra 5 minutes. So I did meet my running goal for today. And it turned out I ran more miles than I thought I did: 19.65 kilometers. Hopefully next week I can run more miles in the same time, cause this was awfully slow! 

Total running mileage:58.4 slowish kilometers

Total biking mileage:2x5 fast kilometers on my hybrid

LB:3x

UB:3x (hit each muscle group once)

Abs:2x

Except for the abs, I stuck to my training schedule for once

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

evanflein

Dutchie, we'll be rooting for Netherlands on Sunday!!

I'm hoping to start really building up this week. Need to get some serious hills under my belt for my hilly trail run on the 25th.

Monday: 4 hours of weeding the garden after a full morning of laundry and filing

Tuesday: 9.1 miles run, .35 mile walk, more weeding

Wednesday: 10.1 hilly miles, 8:14 avg pace, .3 mile walk

Thursday: 6 mile progressive pace run, starting 8:30, last mile @ 7:26, then a .6 mile walk up the hill

Friday: 3.6 miles, mostly easy with some trails, .5 mile walk

Saturday: 11.4 miles of hills; a lot of the same route as Wednesday; .4 mile walk

Sunday: 13.5 miles, 8:05 pace; too fast and I crashed hard after 10 miles. I'm a slow learner.

Totals: 53.8 miles run and 3.7 miles walked plus gardening and housework (hey, I do it infrequently enough that I count it when it happens!)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

thanks Leslie.

• Mon:  Swimming about an hour with kids.
            • Tue: 15 mins core excercises: 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups.  4.69 mile easy run @ 8:03 pace.  PM - hour of free weights after work.  UB mostly but did do some squat press, leg curls and extensions. 
            • Wed- 15 mins core excercises: 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups, 5.35 miles fast easy run 7:56 pace in hot and humid weather this morning.
            • Thur- 15 mins core excercises: 170 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups.  4.69 mile easy run @ 8min pace.  Free weights work-out after work 1.25 hours.  Mostly UB but some leg work. 
            • Fri- 15 mins core excercises: 160 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups
            • Sat- Started with some isometric excercises, about 10 mins of push-ups {100} and some abds.  Then went out did 10.9 mile run @ 8:24 mile pace.  Nice warm summer rain at end of run made my day.  It was great.
            • Sun- SRD

Miles run: 25.6

Free-weights: 2.25

Core excer: 1 hour 10 mins; 630 push-ups

1 hr swimming.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks for the totals, Leslie.  Have a nice easy week and enjoy your 50K.

Now that I've built a decent base, I want to start trying to get a little faster for a mid-August 5K.  We'll see what happens.  Just need my stoopid foot to cooperate.  It's getting sore on the ouside, center and I thought had gone away, but hurts again this morning.

Mon:  yoga.  Several hours of yard work x-t.

tues:  4 miles.  3.1 in just under 29:00--last mile at 9:17 pace.

Wed:  X-T.  Picked up a 46 lb bag of dog food a couple times.  Does that count?

Thur:  4-5 easy miles.  3.8 in a little better than easy pace--9:25 avg.  And a LOT of sweating.

Fri:  rest.

Sat:  TBD.  Moved a couple of docks and a few shutters.  not quite pump class.

Sun:  5-7 miles with a few hills.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

Thanks Leslie.

M - 8 miles
                T - 10.6 miles
                W - 5 miles
                Th - rest day
                F - travel day
                Sa - 5.5 miles
                Su -

Paul

Erika - What trail run are you doing?  We're up at SOB this weekend.  Lots of snow and hot temps in the forecast, which equals mud, mud, and more mud.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

The trail run is the Gold Discovery Run, starts up by the Fort Knox gold mine and runs on old mining roads/trails and can be very muddy, but last year dust was more an issue. The last few miles are on roads, with a two mile screamin' downhill near the end. I love this race. 16.5 miles total, free beer and burgers at the end. I'd love to PR it this year but will need better than 2:13 to do that. Here's the web site if you want to check out the profile of the course.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Dutchie, we'll be rooting for Netherlands on Sunday!!

Me too!!!  All four of my grandparents were born in Holland so I guess I come by my rooting honestly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dove

The Dovenator

Summer has arrived in the PNW! This was going to be a cut back week for me, but I am so thrilled with the chance to run in 90+ temps that i'm just going with it.....

Monday: rest

Tuesday: 8 miles

Wednesday: 8 miles 

Thursday: 10 miles and weights

Friday: rest

Saturday: 6 miles including 1st Masters Woman at a small town 5k

Sunday: 3 miles

Total: 35 miles

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Dutchie42

Me too!!!  All four of my grandparents were born in Holland so I guess I come by my rooting honestly.

great word play!

Awww, thanks you guys. Let's hope for once the Dutch team wins Though I'm afraid if they do, there won't be too many people at work on Monday.

Dutchie
                          Run the day, or the day runs you.

evanflein

So nice to see Dove come join us here! Nice job on the 5k there, missy! 
                            Dove

The Dovenator

So nice to see Dove come join us here! Nice job on the 5k there, missy! 

Well it was no PR, but I'll take it given I have done absolutely no speed work since September.

I did the race as an attempt to connect with my local running community. I know exactly 2 (count 'em....two) local runners. All my running buddies are either Maniacs, cyber friends or ultra runners I've met elsewhere. 

It's weird to be recognized at events across the country but no one in my hometown knows me 

Anyone else have a disconnect with their local running community?

"it's just like having fun, but different"

evanflein

Dove, there are maybe four people outside of my family who know what my license plate means. The RD for the Equinox, Steve Bainbridge, was so intrigued by the whole MM idea he recently qualified and joined! He's the only other one in Fairbanks. I know a lot of my local running community, but i don't tell them what else I do. It's funny though, since I've gotten "faster" this past year or so, a lot of the more "elite" runners (if we can have elite runners) are treating me like their old BFF... it's kind of funny.