Masters Running

Wed Aug 27 Runs and Workouts (Read 361 times)

Good morning! Today it was my turn to see the skunk. There's nothing quite as scary as seeing that black and white creature walking away from you with his tail pointed straight up in the air. (Well, Tim's experience with that crazy driver was probably more scary, but you get the idea). I have the thing a wide berth. Beautiful running conditions again, 57°F and breezy. It doesn't get any better than this. 7.2 miles, 1:02, 8:38/mi, AHR 144 Have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm glad you avoided the skunk Lou - and I bet PDR is even happier that you avoided it! Wink Yesterday I got up early and put in 8 miles - then to the doctor - and then took my baby to college! Smile Sad She called last night obviously having a great time and having made new friends already. My 8 miles were very chilly miles - 45 degrees. My hands were even numb when I got home. 10:27 pace / 164 avg. hr. This morning Brinkley and I were out for an enjoyable 5 miles. The sky was stunning with a sliver of moon and the stars just shining so bright. I even saw a shooting star!! About 54 degrees - 9:40 avg. pace - 157 avg hr. 9:44 / 145 9:25 / 151 9:37 / 160 9:46 / 165 9:47 / 167 Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

3 slow easy miles for me last night. I've really cut back on the mileage as my ankle was a constant bother. I think my plan is working though as my last 2 runs have taken far less toll on my ability to walk w/o a limp the next day. I'm pleased with this beyond all, but am frustrated to not know why I ran into such difficulty. Ah well...at least it seems to be on the mend, and that's a good thing. It's been really hard to keep up with the posts here once school started. On top of that, my laptop at home is on the blink, so I have descend to the basement to use our other one, which is not my preferred way to surf the net. Or, like today, sneak in here at the office when I can. Happy Humpday, Janet

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone... Possible "stinky" situation there Lou Smile Nice run there at a very good pace. Yeah, that car crash thing of mine while running was scary, but I don't think I have ever seen a skunk while running though. Nice run for you too Mary in IRC (does your HR seem to be getting lower over time?) Fall is coming fast, so we all should be running in cooler temps soon...but hate that summer is almost over too. Been thinking about you lately Janet. Hope your ankle gets well soon..hang in there and post as often as you can, as you are missed when you don't Smile OK Holly, I assume you were not noticed going into the gym again....lol. Like Erika, I find this amazing Big grin It's great to that you are still being smart about your running...WTG Mid - week long run with 6 - 1000 M repeats last night...a day early as I am experimenting around with my run schedule trying to figure out what is the best for me. 13.2 miles - 8:03 ave overall pace - Little cooler out, but still hot. 1000 M repeats with goal at 4:30 - 7:15 pace 4:11 - 6:48 pace (Dog ate my homework) 4:25 - 7:06 pace 4:24 - 7:04 pace 4:29 - 7:12 pace 4:27 - 7:09 pace 4:27 - 7:09 pace That little 5 year old girl was at the track last night again I talked about last week. As I ran up to the track, she looked at her mon and dad and said "there is that runner man" As I come up to her and her parents, she gave me a big hug, which was sweet. She ran a few laps with me and they had to leave..guess there were finishing as I was starting. Really amazing to me to see a 5 year old run 7:00 pace for as long as she can..it is sooo cute seeing her little arms pumping away like little ones do. I talked to my doctor late yesterday afternoon and said the blood work came back negative, but wants me in his office today or tomorrow to discuss some things Confused. Well, at work early and have mounds of paper work to deal with. Have a great day and runs all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Lou – glad you escaped the skunk. Mary – is she going to school close by? {{{Handymom’s ankle}}} Tim - good news! After yesterday’s 11 miles, I thought it prudent to go to the gym today: 40 minutes elliptical 10 minutes stationary bike Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Out for 3.25 miles & hunting sprinklers with Renee. It should have been done last night, but I was just tired. So, that's what the extra 1/4 mi is there for: penance! Big grin Off for my first visit to see Mom since the funeral today, so tonight I plan to throw in another run if I need it mentally. Good runs to all today!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A bunch of nice runs already today. I was planning to do some speedwork (repeats) this morning, but a fitful night of sleep with much tossing and turning, due to some work stuff, made me rethink that. I just didn't feel up to it. So instead, I ran 9 miles at 8:45 pace - miles 3 through 8 were run at 8:45, 8:32, 8:26, 8:31, 8:16, and 8:24. I was sort of hoping I'd have a few tempo miles in there, but this one was a good run nonetheless. Avg HR 147. 78 and 88%. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning all, We finally got the rain that we needed....all at once...tremendous downpours last night and this morning. I almost managed to escape it this morning but got drenched in the last mile of my run. 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:03 pace, mostly dry except for the last mile. Big grin Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

DickyG

Today's topic is entitled: "New CD's You Need To Buy Now" Seriously, if any of you are Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fans, Brian's new CD "That Lucky Old Sun" will be in stores Sept. 2..you can pre-order from brianwilson.com or thatluckyoldsun.net. Capitol Records was kind enough to send me an advance comp and I have to tell you, it's Brian's best work since Pet Sounds. TLOS is a concept album, much in the manner of PS or Smile...one track blends into the next and the whole album is a tribute to Southern California. Craneium: That's a wonderful webpage on Brockport vball...I'm definately gonna follow your progress this year...good luck! Erika: Great post...brings back memories of that old TV show where the doctor spent time in Alaska (Rob Morrow, maybe?). We're very jealous of folks who can grow stuff...our home is surrounded by trees & woods on all sides so we get no sun at all...about the only thing that grows is weeds & moles. Bruce:
                    1000mx6 w/200m recoveries (goal pace 4:56): 4:57 4:56 4:51 4:55 4:56 4:56
                    Well, I'd say that was pretty much on goal target...nice job. Sarge:
                    DW golfed Sat. after funeral on Friday & won $40 for most birdies, $40 for closest to pin and $20 for something else (sorry I forget)
                    After the way I played Sunday, could your wife loan me some cash? As far as the deer story, I've been saying that all along..where we live, they're a downright menace. Tim: Excellent repeat workout! Think the little girl has her eye on you..probably a big improvement over the date you mentioned last month. Good news on your blood results..I'll bet doctor just wants to put you on some sort of preventative meds or maybe change your diet a little...probably something very minor. Breger: Might not have been repeats, but your run looked pretty speedy to me. It's pouring down rain here...pouring! I think maybe some after-effects of Fay (?). Second round of softball playoffs rained out last night. I'm not gonna punish myself by going out for a while...I ran in the rain yesterday and it was not pleasant. I'm guessing that Peter & Perch are getting it also...Lou, I'm surprised it's not up your way...yet. If it lets up, maybe I'll try for a few miles later. DickyG
                      I didn't get a chance to post yesterday as we had two of our younger grandsons over for their first sleep over at Memere and Pepere's house! We all had a ball...but Memere and Pepere were wiped out by last night! Wink I ended up doing yesterday's run just before dinner, DW and I had stopped by a local dairy and produce farm and picked up some fresh corn, tomatoes and cukes and she par-broiled some spare ribs (not of the running persuasion Wink ) and we had a very nice relaxing dinner before crashing for the night! Last evening's run: 8.04 miles - 1:03:43 (7:55) 70 degrees and 53 % humidity made it very nice indeed. 8:16 - 8:05 - 8:05 - 8:01 - 7:54 - 7:50 - 7:48 - 7:26 - :14 I'm just getting ready to head out the door for this morning's run in nice cool temps again as it is currently 65 degrees with 58 % humidity. Lost's of nice runs already this morning! Big grin By the way Denise I know this is a little late, but I happen to be one of those that has to eat just before I head out the door for my run...especially my early morning runs. I always have a cup of cereal with a glass of OJ and will usually have a banana right after my run with a bottle of Propel. I know that lots of people suffer from queasy tummys if they do this so you have to go with what works for you, good luck finding the answer.
                        Good morning, all! Lou - Whew - glad you didn't tangle with the skunk!! {{{{{{Janet's ankle}}}}}}} - smart to back off and come back gradually. Some good runs here already this morning, gang! I have to admit defeat on the respiratory virus front. Yesterday's run (6 miles) was slogged at an 11:20 mile pace. That was the fastest I could go, and I felt horrible at that. I did spend the rest of the day resting. The Monday run was a bit worse because of the heat and humidity. I opted for 70 minutes of core/arms and leg weights this morning in lieu of a carpy run. The bike tour was good in spite of the illness. We spent almost 8 hours on tour Saturday - only 4 or so hours were on the bike - there were lots of little shops and other places to explore. I napped for 2 hours after the ride, ate dinner and then went to bed and slept until 7:00 the next morning. I followed DH's advice to lag behind the crowd on Saturday, and I don't think that was a wise decision. I ride a recumbent, and hill climbing is all leg since I can't stand up in the pedals. I was constantly having to ride my brakes on the hills and never was able to gain momentum before starting to climb the next hill. Sunday I rode with the lead pack and had a much better time on the hills. I didn't think my running fitness would carry over to the bike, and I was pleasantly surprised at my endurance. I heartily recommend Bike Vermont if you want to have a well-supported weekend or week long biking adventure. They do tours in Vermont/New Hampshire, Maine, Italy and Ireland. The guides are super. One of the ladies in the group was having a tough time with hills, so one of the guides would ride beside her with one hand on her lower back and propel her to the top of the hill. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

4 easy miles with T...8:11 pace Looks like the PNW rain has returned...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          lamerunner

Pretty strong 8 miler this morning, running a little late. DS birthday today, a big 9 year old! I stayed up a bit late baking the cake and watching Hillary. Good speech. No wildlife this morning, just car dodging. Very nice weather. Low 50s, sunny, dry. Once while in Dallas on business I saw three skunks running toward me, shoulder to shoulder. I was getting a run in before a deposition. I gave them a wide berth; could have been a very different day otherwise. Good runs to all.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

6.2 miles in 1:09:59 this morning. Beautiful running conditions - 57 degrees and sunny. Hard run for some reason, though. I'm glad it's done!! Going for 9 to 9.5 on Friday. HM is 3 weeks from Sunday. Shocked
                                Got this mornings run out of the way now it's on to yard work Sad - actually I don't really mind it too much, especially when the weather is nice like this. 5.01 Miles - 44:38 (8:55) - Avg HR 115 Max HR 126 - Sunny 65 and 58% humidity 9:02 - 9:00 - 8:56 - 8:50 - 8:43 - :04